Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#33969 Jan 30, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> TEACHERS in Texas aren't protected by unions.Kids fail proficiency tests here, teachers get fired.
Teachers in NC aren't either but when budget cuts are instituted, they'll keep the under performing teachers because they have tenure and let go the new, young, energized teachers because they don't. In most private businesses today, seniority means nothing until its vacation time, everything else is performance based.

Location hidden

#33970 Jan 30, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
TSF, I'm no "snoot" or other names that are thrown around at people who decide that maybe "government" everything isn't always the best answer to every problem. I'll assure you again, I pay my taxes and darn plenty and just finished paying our estimates on 01/15, so don't preach to me about lowering the tax rate. I paid taxes for public schools and also I paid private school tuition for my child. You can make off the cuff remarks alluding to the fact that Republicans are ignorant, but this ignorant Republican sent her child to a private school and she's now doing her surgical clinicals. She'll probably have children one day and increase the Republican base, but if they work their butts off like she has, they'll at least be contributing members of society not sponges. I've never had a problem with my tax dollars being spent on a voucher system to help children of all races and socio-economic backgrounds receive more intensive and better quality of education. Do you have a problem with the voucher system? Private schools don't have to play the tenure game that public schools do. If teachers in a private school fail to produce students a cut above of going to school free they're not kept on until they're in they're in their 70's because they have tenure, they're shown the door. I don't have a problem with home schooling. As I have stated before and I'm always posted back, "the examples you give are the exception, not the rule for home schooled children." I'd still put a home schooled child up against a public school educated child even if their parents might be "ignorant". Looks to me the public school teachers can't motivate the children to learn, are allowed no control over their classrooms, and look at the list Arnold gave of what he tries to do just to get a kid to school and the parents motivated and they still don't come to school, thus they'll be ignorant just like their parents that don't care. I don't blame Arnold for this Lord knows he's paid his dues, but you blame the Republicans for at least trying a different approach by calling them "ignorant." At least a home schooled child's parents care enough to take the time and attention to attempt to educate their children. Does that make them "ignorant", sounds like they're pretty smart to me, because they've learned the first lesson, you can't teach a child if they're nowhere to be found.
Here Here
Well said!
Jen

Orlando, FL

#33971 Jan 30, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
TSF, I'm no "snoot" or other names that are thrown around at people who decide that maybe "government" everything isn't always the best answer to every problem. I'll assure you again, I pay my taxes and darn plenty and just finished paying our estimates on 01/15, so don't preach to me about lowering the tax rate. I paid taxes for public schools and also I paid private school tuition for my child. You can make off the cuff remarks alluding to the fact that Republicans are ignorant, but this ignorant Republican sent her child to a private school and she's now doing her surgical clinicals. She'll probably have children one day and increase the Republican base, but if they work their butts off like she has, they'll at least be contributing members of society not sponges. I've never had a problem with my tax dollars being spent on a voucher system to help children of all races and socio-economic backgrounds receive more intensive and better quality of education. Do you have a problem with the voucher system? Private schools don't have to play the tenure game that public schools do. If teachers in a private school fail to produce students a cut above of going to school free they're not kept on until they're in they're in their 70's because they have tenure, they're shown the door. I don't have a problem with home schooling. As I have stated before and I'm always posted back, "the examples you give are the exception, not the rule for home schooled children." I'd still put a home schooled child up against a public school educated child even if their parents might be "ignorant". Looks to me the public school teachers can't motivate the children to learn, are allowed no control over their classrooms, and look at the list Arnold gave of what he tries to do just to get a kid to school and the parents motivated and they still don't come to school, thus they'll be ignorant just like their parents that don't care. I don't blame Arnold for this Lord knows he's paid his dues, but you blame the Republicans for at least trying a different approach by calling them "ignorant." At least a home schooled child's parents care enough to take the time and attention to attempt to educate their children. Does that make them "ignorant", sounds like they're pretty smart to me, because they've learned the first lesson, you can't teach a child if they're nowhere to be found.
Speaking of home schooling. I know a lady who Home Schools her two boys. One is in 1st grade and the other is in 3rd grade. I asked her a question the other day about the type of curriculum she teaches. She said, that her Children learn through playing 80% of the time and the other 20% is School work. I expanded my curiosity and asked, how many tests do they take. She replied and said, that her Children have not taken ANY tests as of yet, as to know what they have learned. When they do Science, there are NO quizzes or weekly tests. She said, next year her then, 4th grader will start taking tests.
Now can anyone tell me, how this is effective learning? I was shocked to say the least, that these home schooled kids have no clue about what they have learned. If they were put into public school, I feel very certain that they would be so far behind. Learning through 80% of play? It should be the other way around. 20% of play and 80% of learning.
Mr Anderson

Germany

#33972 Jan 30, 2013
Mr Anderson

Los Angeles, CA

#33973 Jan 30, 2013

Location hidden

#33974 Jan 30, 2013
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of home schooling. I know a lady who Home Schools her two boys. One is in 1st grade and the other is in 3rd grade. I asked her a question the other day about the type of curriculum she teaches. She said, that her Children learn through playing 80% of the time and the other 20% is School work. I expanded my curiosity and asked, how many tests do they take. She replied and said, that her Children have not taken ANY tests as of yet, as to know what they have learned. When they do Science, there are NO quizzes or weekly tests. She said, next year her then, 4th grader will start taking tests.
Now can anyone tell me, how this is effective learning? I was shocked to say the least, that these home schooled kids have no clue about what they have learned. If they were put into public school, I feel very certain that they would be so far behind. Learning through 80% of play? It should be the other way around. 20% of play and 80% of learning.
Jen, I can't speak to the laws regarding home schooling in FL and I don't know everything there is to know about NC home schooling laws. I do know in N.C., paperwork must be requested and sent from Raleigh about testing that is required and must be sent to them for grading. The work of the children has to be shown. This includes science and history projects etc. Home schooled children are allowed to utilize the public school system for testing such as EOG testing, PSAT/SAT/ACT, driver's education and if a parent feels their child could have a learning disability, they too can be tested thru the public school system. I don't know about the lady you were speaking with but she is doing her children a great disservice if she considers 80% playing an education. The parents I know that home school are committed and have to be, it takes a great deal of time if you're vested in the process and you want your children to attend college upon receiving their high school diploma. Home schooling is not for everyone and maybe shouldn't be for the lady you spoke of, but it's an alternative that if worked correctly can be as beneficial as a public or private school education.

Location hidden

#33975 Jan 30, 2013
Jen, by the way, in the state of N.C. children are not allowed to wait until the 4th grade to take tests. Gee, if that were the case all kids would want to be home schooled :)

Location hidden

#33976 Jan 30, 2013
One more thing Jen, I found this site about the rules of home schooling in N.C.

http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.aspx

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#33977 Jan 30, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Teachers in NC aren't either but when budget cuts are instituted, they'll keep the under performing teachers because they have tenure and let go the new, young, energized teachers because they don't. In most private businesses today, seniority means nothing until its vacation time, everything else is performance based.
Teacher pay raises are also tied to how well their students measure up.That's the way it should be.That's in Texas.

Location hidden

#33978 Jan 30, 2013
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not knowing the woman or her children, maybe by failing to teach them anything, she's raising them to be future loyal voters of the Commucrat Party. Maybe she'll increase the curriculum next year and by the time they reach 6th grade they'll be we'll ahead of govt school 10th graders, thus raising them to be future loyal voters of the Republican Party.
Jen

Orlando, FL

#33979 Jan 30, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
Jen, by the way, in the state of N.C. children are not allowed to wait until the 4th grade to take tests. Gee, if that were the case all kids would want to be home schooled :)
I was so shocked after she told me this. I thought, "poor kids"! I have never heard of learning through 80% of play before, have you?
I think home schooling can be for most people, but it's the parents responsibility to make sure it's done properly. You know as well as I do, that this mother had to take tests when she was in school. It makes no sense to me.:)
Jen

Orlando, FL

#33980 Jan 30, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
One more thing Jen, I found this site about the rules of home schooling in N.C.
http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.aspx
I'm not in Florida. I'm more local. Sorry for the confusion.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#33981 Jan 30, 2013
To home-school their kids is a choice for all who wish to do so.Certainly, in my own case, I would have preferred home-schooling, but my mother was already working two jobs.
Jen

Orlando, FL

#33982 Jan 30, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Not knowing the woman or her children, maybe by failing to teach them anything, she's raising them to be future loyal voters of the Commucrat Party. Maybe she'll increase the curriculum next year and by the time they reach 6th grade they'll be we'll ahead of govt school 10th graders, thus raising them to be future loyal voters of the Republican Party.
The kids stay home a lot and not much interaction with other kids there age. There are many private schools here and when you are in K-5 you are doing basic adding and subtracting. I often wonder, what level her kids are really on. I feel sorry for them, I really do. Your post is comical and I needed a good laugh!
Jen

Orlando, FL

#33983 Jan 30, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
To home-school their kids is a choice for all who wish to do so.Certainly, in my own case, I would have preferred home-schooling, but my mother was already working two jobs.
I think home schooling would have been fun, but I don't think it was around in the 70's. Having lots of siblings would make it fun too.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#33984 Jan 30, 2013
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Not knowing the woman or her children, maybe by failing to teach them anything, she's raising them to be future loyal voters of the Commucrat Party. Maybe she'll increase the curriculum next year and by the time they reach 6th grade they'll be we'll ahead of govt school 10th graders, thus raising them to be future loyal voters of the Republican Party.
Attaboy, tiger!

Location hidden

#33985 Jan 30, 2013
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
I was so shocked after she told me this. I thought, "poor kids"! I have never heard of learning through 80% of play before, have you?
I think home schooling can be for most people, but it's the parents responsibility to make sure it's done properly. You know as well as I do, that this mother had to take tests when she was in school. It makes no sense to me.:)
I heard that. Back in the one room school house days, they had to take tests!!!:) They did on "Little House on the Prairie" anyway and you know if it's on tv, it can't be a lie!!!:)
TSF

Kenly, NC

#33986 Jan 30, 2013
Well this time you are right but for the wrong reason. They let the young energized teachers go TO PREVENT THEM FROM GETTING TENURE . Why? To keep the payroll down ,of course.
Also there is a misconception that a tenured teacher cannot be fired in NC. FALSE. There are many written reasons that tenured teachers can be fired. One of them is failing to meet performance standards. The only difference is that tenured teachers must be told the reason they were fired. Un tenured teachers in NC can be fired for ANY reason at any time without notice.
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>Teachers in NC aren't either but when budget cuts are instituted, they'll keep the under performing teachers because they have tenure and let go the new, young, energized teachers because they don't. In most private businesses today, seniority means nothing until its vacation time, everything else is performance based.
TSF

Kenly, NC

#33987 Jan 30, 2013
r
Teacher Tenure Act
Detailed Contents
Section 1900 Dismissal Related to Job Performance Concerns 404
Inadequate Performance 404
Neglect of Duty 408
Failure to Fulfill the Statutory Duties of a Teacher 411
Insubordination 411
Failure to Comply with the Reasonable Requirements of the Board 415
Section 1901 Dismissal Related to Conduct or
Character Concerns 416
Immorality 416
Use of Alcohol and Drugs 422
Conviction of a Felony or Crime Involving Moral Turpitude 424
False Application Information 425
Section 1902 Dismissal Related to Concerns
Regarding Physical or Mental Capacity 425
Incapacity 426
Relationship to the Americans with Disabilities Act 427
Section 1903 Dismissal Related to Concerns
Regarding the Teacherís License 427
Failure to Keep Certificate Current 427
Cause for Revocation of a Certificate 428
402 School Employment Law
Section 1904 Dismissal Related to Concerns about Citizenship 430
Failure to Repay Money Owed to the State 430
Advocating the Overthrow of the Government 431
Section 1905 Dismissal

Location hidden

#33988 Jan 30, 2013
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
The kids stay home a lot and not much interaction with other kids there age. There are many private schools here and when you are in K-5 you are doing basic adding and subtracting. I often wonder, what level her kids are really on. I feel sorry for them, I really do. Your post is comical and I needed a good laugh!
Actually, kids are learning a lot more than addition and subtraction at those early ages in govt schools. For example, kids at that age are learning to redistribute the wealth. When the teacher ask the children to bring in supplies for the classroom but DO NOT write their names on those supplies, it's because they're teaching the children of the parents who can afford the supplies to bring them in and provide for the ones who can't afford them, and they're teaching the ones who can't afford them to rely on someone else to provide for them. Either way they're learning at an early age to be good little liberals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need your vote: Muddy River Distillery Finalist... 15 hr jdelayknee 1
I Love Black Women (May '11) Sat Nader 240
Buh Bye All You IBM Employees (Oct '10) Sat Resource Action 252
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) Sat Lamb Cobb 4,840
Black women don't find white men attractive. (Jul '10) Sep 19 cha ching 34
Why are Southerners rude in action, but pretend... (Jan '13) Sep 17 I Hate Syracuse 234
5 year old goes missing at Shamrock Gardens Ele... Sep 17 MaryOfConcern 6
•••
•••
•••

Charlotte Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Charlotte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Charlotte News, Events & Info