Comments
31,421 - 31,440 of 58,791 Comments Last updated 22 min ago

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#32607 Jan 17, 2013
TSF wrote:
The NY law just enacted casts a wide net for "mental illness" in individuals who will be scrutinized for violent tendancies in most cases by "health care professionals " who have little or no training in either phychology of psychiatry . These "professionals" are required to scan and report violent "tendancies". This is supposed to stop gun violence. The problem is that there is no evidence that the mentally ill commit more gun violence than the others. So huge numbers of people will suffer the loss of constitutional rights in a measure that has no real useful purpose other than falsely making politicians look like they are doing something usefull.
So TSF, are you telling me the last several "mass shooting" were committed by perfectly sound minded people?

Location hidden

#32608 Jan 17, 2013
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/m...

This link runs from 1982 forward.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#32609 Jan 17, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>So TSF, are you telling me the last several "mass shooting" were committed by perfectly sound minded people?
Lu, I would agree that people committing these mass shootings are not of a sane mind. However, these days many diagnoses fall under mental illness, OCD (could be just hand washing over and over or other rituals such as counting cracks in the sidewalk), maybe a bout of depression after the loss of a loved one or divorce that's only temporary, anorexia and bulimia, none of these in my "unprofessional" opinion would cause one to go out and kill a bunch of people. I agree with TSF, there's people in the medical field not qualified to diagnose a true, dangerous mental illness, thus people are denied the right to own a gun. There's no tried and true way to diagnose people that just snap and I know from having a family member that this happened to, it can happen. Then there's a matter of HIPPA laws, doing background checks that open the door to a person's health is wrong. The government is overreaching boundaries.

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#32610 Jan 17, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lu, I would agree that people committing these mass shootings are not of a sane mind. However, these days many diagnoses fall under mental illness, OCD (could be just hand washing over and over or other rituals such as counting cracks in the sidewalk), maybe a bout of depression after the loss of a loved one or divorce that's only temporary, anorexia and bulimia, none of these in my "unprofessional" opinion would cause one to go out and kill a bunch of people. I agree with TSF, there's opeople in the medical field not qualified to diagnose a true, dangerous mental illness, thus people are denied the right to own a gun. There's no tried and true way to diagnose people that just snap and I know from having a family member that this happened to, it can happen. Then there's a matter of HIPPA laws, doing background checks that open the door to a person's health is wrong. The government is overreaching boundaries.
Since when has our government NOT USED FEAR to gain more power?

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#32611 Jan 17, 2013
Since when has ANY GOVERNMENT not used FEAR to increase it's hold over the people?

Location hidden

#32612 Jan 17, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lu, I would agree that people committing these mass shootings are not of a sane mind. However, these days many diagnoses fall under mental illness, OCD (could be just hand washing over and over or other rituals such as counting cracks in the sidewalk), maybe a bout of depression after the loss of a loved one or divorce that's only temporary, anorexia and bulimia, none of these in my "unprofessional" opinion would cause one to go out and kill a bunch of people. I agree with TSF, there's people in the medical field not qualified to diagnose a true, dangerous mental illness, thus people are denied the right to own a gun. There's no tried and true way to diagnose people that just snap and I know from having a family member that this happened to, it can happen. Then there's a matter of HIPPA laws, doing background checks that open the door to a person's health is wrong. The government is overreaching boundaries.
Exactly. That is my point. Instead of looking at the existing laws that "protect" a person's mental health rights, the flip side, is to limit another persons rights. To give full disclosure here, I had to be "evaluated" to get a NC driver's license because of DUI. Had to have a mental health official sign off on it, because of prior behavior. I didn't have to do that to get my NCCHP. It's a tough issue and it will be an intense issue.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#32613 Jan 17, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. That is my point. Instead of looking at the existing laws that "protect" a person's mental health rights, the flip side, is to limit another persons rights. To give full disclosure here, I had to be "evaluated" to get a NC driver's license because of DUI. Had to have a mental health official sign off on it, because of prior behavior. I didn't have to do that to get my NCCHP. It's a tough issue and it will be an intense issue.
Bristol is fastest, only a forty minute wait at Atlanta,293 bucks.ZOOOOM!!!

Location hidden

#32614 Jan 17, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Bristol is fastest, only a forty minute wait at Atlanta,293 bucks.ZOOOOM!!!
ZOOOM?! That's funny and it's a nice drive from TN.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#32615 Jan 17, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>ZOOOM?! That's funny and it's a nice drive from TN.
Closer than Charlotte.My drill sergeant said I was a funny guy, as he was removing his foot.
TSF

Kenly, NC

#32616 Jan 17, 2013
No. I didn't even suggest that. Mass shootings are extremely rare but wildly publicized and sensationalized. On the link you provided, I count 513 victims of mass shootings over 29 years. Taking 29 years times the average deaths from gun assults per year of 12,000, that comes to 348,000 victims, so mass shootings accounted for less tan 0.14%. What I am saying is that no evidence indicates that identified mentally ill persons commit murder at a higher rate than others. So, expending huge amounts of resoures toward something that hasnt even been identified as a significant problem doesn' make sense. Add in the confiscation of constituional rights of large numbers of people who have committed no crime but have been mistakenly identifyed a "dangerous". That is a high price to pay for somethng that isnt even proven to be useful.
Also I am saying that a majority of persons identified as "health care professionas" have little or even no training in psychology or psychiatry and are completely and totally unable to correctly identify the mentaly ill or the dangerously mentally ill.
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>So TSF, are you telling me the last several "mass shooting" were committed by perfectly sound minded people?
TSF

Kenly, NC

#32617 Jan 17, 2013
Uhh oh. You have been judged mentally suspect and you could be a danger to yourself and or others. Certainly, no guns for you. I am surpised that they gave you a license. Drunk drivers kill far more persons each year than people using guns.
But doctors are far more dangerous than traffic accidents and guns combined. Medical malpracice and mistakes kill over 130,000 people each year. Your figues show that an average of 17.8 persons are killed per year in mass shootings, so you are 7647 times more likely to be killed by a doctor than during a mass shooting. How many people out thee want to ban doctors?
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. That is my point. Instead of looking at the existing laws that "protect" a person's mental health rights, the flip side, is to limit another persons rights. To give full disclosure here, I had to be "evaluated" to get a NC driver's license because of DUI. Had to have a mental health official sign off on it, because of prior behavior. I didn't have to do that to get my NCCHP. It's a tough issue and it will be an intense issue.

Location hidden

#32618 Jan 17, 2013
TSF wrote:
No. I didn't even suggest that. Mass shootings are extremely rare but wildly publicized and sensationalized. On the link you provided, I count 513 victims of mass shootings over 29 years. Taking 29 years times the average deaths from gun assults per year of 12,000, that comes to 348,000 victims, so mass shootings accounted for less tan 0.14%. What I am saying is that no evidence indicates that identified mentally ill persons commit murder at a higher rate than others. So, expending huge amounts of resoures toward something that hasnt even been identified as a significant problem doesn' make sense. Add in the confiscation of constituional rights of large numbers of people who have committed no crime but have been mistakenly identifyed a "dangerous". That is a high price to pay for somethng that isnt even proven to be useful.
Also I am saying that a majority of persons identified as "health care professionas" have little or even no training in psychology or psychiatry and are completely and totally unable to correctly identify the mentaly ill or the dangerously mentally ill.
<quoted text>
513 victims in how many events? Do you think it would be important to "expand" the mental health field? Do you think it fair for me to be evaluated for prior behavior and someone removed form campus, not allowed to return until evaluated? Yet, they can buy a firearm but I couldn't drive. Is a car more dangerous that a firearm? Remember, on the purchase form, there is a question on a persons mental health.

Location hidden

#32619 Jan 17, 2013
TSF wrote:
Uhh oh. You have been judged mentally suspect and you could be a danger to yourself and or others. Certainly, no guns for you. I am surpised that they gave you a license. Drunk drivers kill far more persons each year than people using guns.
But doctors are far more dangerous than traffic accidents and guns combined. Medical malpracice and mistakes kill over 130,000 people each year. Your figues show that an average of 17.8 persons are killed per year in mass shootings, so you are 7647 times more likely to be killed by a doctor than during a mass shooting. How many people out thee want to ban doctors?
<quoted text>
How did "they" know? Which "they" are you speaking of, DMV or mental health? BTY, the mental health thing cost me a couple bucks.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#32620 Jan 17, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm doing just fine and the family is ok. Will know later on this week how things are for my dad. Thanks for asking.
Lu, I have no doubt you've learned without giving much thought how to control your weight and that's not a problem for you anymore. Getting weight off and keeping it off is the problem for most people and I'd say if you've kept if off for 16 years, you're doing just fine.
You're right people are getting leaner and meaner and the fact they're pissed off about all these gun laws the president thinks is going to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill isn't going to show up on a background check.
I'll tell you what I thought was a new low for the president today was when he read letters from children (when's the last time we got input from elementary school children about laws being passed) and announced his plans in front of the parents of children killed at CT and parents of children that still attended there. Talk about stacking the deck and using people as pawns to score the sympathy points made me sick. If he's against assault weapons and the such, then his children shouldn't be protected by bodyguards using them and neither should he. Hey, let him lead by example and be protected by BB guns and see how that works out for him.
I'm sure this did make you sick. Yet, not as sick as it made the hearts, souls, minds and stomachs of the parents and family members when they learned their children would never return home from school. They need to take that knuckle dragging, neanderthal, moron, Rush Limbaugh off the air and replace him with these children.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#32621 Jan 17, 2013
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure this did make you sick. Yet, not as sick as it made the hearts, souls, minds and stomachs of the parents and family members when they learned their children would never return home from school. They need to take that knuckle dragging, neanderthal, moron, Rush Limbaugh off the air and replace him with these children.
Allen , I can't stand Rush.But, these kids have been on TV CONSTANTLY since the murders.Here are some facts though,14 democrats SAY they won't vote for an assault rifle ban, in the Senate.That means, it won't pass the Senate, let alone the republican controlled House.Let's talk.What kind of steps do you think you want?
TSF

Kenly, NC

#32622 Jan 17, 2013
Main Outcome Measures Actual causes of death.

Results The leading causes of death in 2000 were tobacco (435 000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths), poor diet and physical inactivity (400 000 deaths; 16.6%), and alcohol consumption (85 000 deaths; 3.5%). Other actual causes of death were microbial agents (75 000), toxic agents (55 000), motor vehicle crashes (43 000), incidents involving firearms (29 000), sexual behaviors
TSF

Kenly, NC

#32623 Jan 17, 2013
Looks like we need to ban tobacco and hire cigarette police, enbact laws forcing everyon to eata balanced low calorie diet and hire diet police, force everyone to exercise and hie exercise police, ban alcohol and hire breathalizer police, ban toxic substances, ban biologicals. ban cars and risky sexual behavior and hire sex police .
TSF

Kenly, NC

#32624 Jan 17, 2013
It sounds like you have been victimized by the so called "health care professionals" ( which includes nurse practioners for instance). ANY health care "professional" can report that you are a potential danger to yourself and/or others and armed LE will show up and take you into custody for competency evaluation.
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>513 victims in how many events? Do you think it would be important to "expand" the mental health field? Do you think it fair for me to be evaluated for prior behavior and someone removed form campus, not allowed to return until evaluated? Yet, they can buy a firearm but I couldn't drive. Is a car more dangerous that a firearm? Remember, on the purchase form, there is a question on a persons mental health.
TSF

Kenly, NC

#32625 Jan 17, 2013
Yes, you can see that cars are more dangerous than firearms by 148% in the year 2000. Actually, it is worse than that because around 40% of the firearm deaths were suicide (self inflicted), others were accidents and a surprising number of the firearm deaths were caused by legitimate actions of homeowners and business owners defending their own life and property from criminals in the act of invading someone's home or business with rape, robbery, or other mischief as the objective.
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>513 victims in how many events? Do you think it would be important to "expand" the mental health field? Do you think it fair for me to be evaluated for prior behavior and someone removed form campus, not allowed to return until evaluated? Yet, they can buy a firearm but I couldn't drive. Is a car more dangerous that a firearm? Remember, on the purchase form, there is a question on a persons mental health.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#32626 Jan 17, 2013
Americans are buried in, laws, tariffs, fees, regulations,ALL designed for our alleged safety.The future of all peoples in the industrialized world, seems to be a future of tightly monitored activity.Slavery to the"state", which will watch everyone CLOSELY with new technologies as they come on line.Better watch what you say, and how you say it, the "mental"police will have informers everywhere, and the governments will easily track the movements of it's citizen/slaves.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AWESOME! This black minister has made a campaig... 7 hr insiderpaul 1
Belmont man's art exhibit captures mill era's d... 14 hr linthead louie 1
Review: Oxbridge Law Firm The (Sep '13) Wed james appiah 3
Biogel Injections (Feb '10) Wed LaLa2020 130
looking for smurfs Wed inNeedThisWeekOnly 5
I Love Black Women (May '11) Wed chalk boy 238
Trolls posting "Southerner" threads Wed Whinn 12
•••
•••

Charlotte Jobs