Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Carolina in 2010?

Posted in the Charlotte Forum

Comments (Page 1,572)

Showing posts 31,421 - 31,440 of49,353
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
TSF

Dunn, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

The NY law just enacted casts a wide net for "mental illness" in individuals who will be scrutinized for violent tendancies in most cases by "health care professionals " who have little or no training in either phychology of psychiatry . These "professionals" are required to scan and report violent "tendancies". This is supposed to stop gun violence. The problem is that there is no evidence that the mentally ill commit more gun violence than the others. So huge numbers of people will suffer the loss of constitutional rights in a measure that has no real useful purpose other than falsely making politicians look like they are doing something usefull.

“Try”

Since: May 12

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
"In fact, it's so imporant for you to join NRA, I want to offer you a special $10 dollar discount off your membership dues. That means, instead of our regular dues of $35, you can join NRA today for the low rate of only $25."
"Or you can save even more by choosing a two-year membership for $50 (normally $60) or a three-year membership for $70 (normally $85). The longer your commitment, the more you save."
"Plus, in addition to your discount, you'll receive a number of valuable NRA members-only benefits, including a subscription to one of the NRA's award-winning magazines...invitations to NRA events in your area...upon activation $7,500 of insurance for YOU and YOUR GUNS...your personalized membership card and decal...and more!"
"And, if you join today, you'll receive a special BONUS GIFT-NRA's razor-sharp, Rosewood Handle Pocketknife-as our way of welcoming you to the NRA family."
Are the rewards here worth the dues? Will $7,500 pay your funeral bill? Why would you want them or our Government to know what kind or how many guns you own?
I no longer own guns.Please be coherent Allen.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
"In fact, it's so imporant for you to join NRA, I want to offer you a special $10 dollar discount off your membership dues. That means, instead of our regular dues of $35, you can join NRA today for the low rate of only $25."
"Or you can save even more by choosing a two-year membership for $50 (normally $60) or a three-year membership for $70 (normally $85). The longer your commitment, the more you save."
"Plus, in addition to your discount, you'll receive a number of valuable NRA members-only benefits, including a subscription to one of the NRA's award-winning magazines...invitations to NRA events in your area...upon activation $7,500 of insurance for YOU and YOUR GUNS...your personalized membership card and decal...and more!"
"And, if you join today, you'll receive a special BONUS GIFT-NRA's razor-sharp, Rosewood Handle Pocketknife-as our way of welcoming you to the NRA family."
Are the rewards here worth the dues? Will $7,500 pay your funeral bill? Why would you want them or our Government to know what kind or how many guns you own?
Drop back 10 and punt Allen, his MY membership candidate. In more ways than one, sorry:)

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a thing to worry about. What you lack in the field of psychiatric nursing, you can compensate with your knowledge of firearms. Waco better walk the straight and narrow with you or he may have to be subdued with a little buckshot instead of a straight jacket.:)
I'll take the buckshot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> I'll take the buckshot.
No worries Sweetie, there will be no need for either one!

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post Lu.
"I am glad you said "due to your observation", because clearly such a claim is just of perspective and biases and not due to any facts or data." This was Mike calling out TSF on exactly what he did when he stated our military was 20 times the size of any other military. Guess he forgot his facts and data before posting this to TSF.
size of armies means little.It's how much is spent on each countries military.Of all military spending in the world today,41 per cent is American.Wikipedia.military spending,15 top countries.

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>No worries Sweetie, there will be no need for either one!
Always good to know!

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
The NY law just enacted casts a wide net for "mental illness" in individuals who will be scrutinized for violent tendancies in most cases by "health care professionals " who have little or no training in either phychology of psychiatry . These "professionals" are required to scan and report violent "tendancies". This is supposed to stop gun violence. The problem is that there is no evidence that the mentally ill commit more gun violence than the others. So huge numbers of people will suffer the loss of constitutional rights in a measure that has no real useful purpose other than falsely making politicians look like they are doing something usefull.
You are correct.These days, the less said, the better.Big Brother is watching us...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

TSF wrote:
So TSF, are you telling me the last several "mass shooting" were committed by perfectly sound minded people?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/m...

This link runs from 1982 forward.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>So TSF, are you telling me the last several "mass shooting" were committed by perfectly sound minded people?
Lu, I would agree that people committing these mass shootings are not of a sane mind. However, these days many diagnoses fall under mental illness, OCD (could be just hand washing over and over or other rituals such as counting cracks in the sidewalk), maybe a bout of depression after the loss of a loved one or divorce that's only temporary, anorexia and bulimia, none of these in my "unprofessional" opinion would cause one to go out and kill a bunch of people. I agree with TSF, there's people in the medical field not qualified to diagnose a true, dangerous mental illness, thus people are denied the right to own a gun. There's no tried and true way to diagnose people that just snap and I know from having a family member that this happened to, it can happen. Then there's a matter of HIPPA laws, doing background checks that open the door to a person's health is wrong. The government is overreaching boundaries.

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lu, I would agree that people committing these mass shootings are not of a sane mind. However, these days many diagnoses fall under mental illness, OCD (could be just hand washing over and over or other rituals such as counting cracks in the sidewalk), maybe a bout of depression after the loss of a loved one or divorce that's only temporary, anorexia and bulimia, none of these in my "unprofessional" opinion would cause one to go out and kill a bunch of people. I agree with TSF, there's opeople in the medical field not qualified to diagnose a true, dangerous mental illness, thus people are denied the right to own a gun. There's no tried and true way to diagnose people that just snap and I know from having a family member that this happened to, it can happen. Then there's a matter of HIPPA laws, doing background checks that open the door to a person's health is wrong. The government is overreaching boundaries.
Since when has our government NOT USED FEAR to gain more power?

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Since when has ANY GOVERNMENT not used FEAR to increase it's hold over the people?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lu, I would agree that people committing these mass shootings are not of a sane mind. However, these days many diagnoses fall under mental illness, OCD (could be just hand washing over and over or other rituals such as counting cracks in the sidewalk), maybe a bout of depression after the loss of a loved one or divorce that's only temporary, anorexia and bulimia, none of these in my "unprofessional" opinion would cause one to go out and kill a bunch of people. I agree with TSF, there's people in the medical field not qualified to diagnose a true, dangerous mental illness, thus people are denied the right to own a gun. There's no tried and true way to diagnose people that just snap and I know from having a family member that this happened to, it can happen. Then there's a matter of HIPPA laws, doing background checks that open the door to a person's health is wrong. The government is overreaching boundaries.
Exactly. That is my point. Instead of looking at the existing laws that "protect" a person's mental health rights, the flip side, is to limit another persons rights. To give full disclosure here, I had to be "evaluated" to get a NC driver's license because of DUI. Had to have a mental health official sign off on it, because of prior behavior. I didn't have to do that to get my NCCHP. It's a tough issue and it will be an intense issue.

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. That is my point. Instead of looking at the existing laws that "protect" a person's mental health rights, the flip side, is to limit another persons rights. To give full disclosure here, I had to be "evaluated" to get a NC driver's license because of DUI. Had to have a mental health official sign off on it, because of prior behavior. I didn't have to do that to get my NCCHP. It's a tough issue and it will be an intense issue.
Bristol is fastest, only a forty minute wait at Atlanta,293 bucks.ZOOOOM!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Bristol is fastest, only a forty minute wait at Atlanta,293 bucks.ZOOOOM!!!
ZOOOM?! That's funny and it's a nice drive from TN.

“Try”

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

emlu wrote:
<quoted text>ZOOOM?! That's funny and it's a nice drive from TN.
Closer than Charlotte.My drill sergeant said I was a funny guy, as he was removing his foot.
TSF

Dunn, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

No. I didn't even suggest that. Mass shootings are extremely rare but wildly publicized and sensationalized. On the link you provided, I count 513 victims of mass shootings over 29 years. Taking 29 years times the average deaths from gun assults per year of 12,000, that comes to 348,000 victims, so mass shootings accounted for less tan 0.14%. What I am saying is that no evidence indicates that identified mentally ill persons commit murder at a higher rate than others. So, expending huge amounts of resoures toward something that hasnt even been identified as a significant problem doesn' make sense. Add in the confiscation of constituional rights of large numbers of people who have committed no crime but have been mistakenly identifyed a "dangerous". That is a high price to pay for somethng that isnt even proven to be useful.
Also I am saying that a majority of persons identified as "health care professionas" have little or even no training in psychology or psychiatry and are completely and totally unable to correctly identify the mentaly ill or the dangerously mentally ill.
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>So TSF, are you telling me the last several "mass shooting" were committed by perfectly sound minded people?
TSF

Dunn, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Uhh oh. You have been judged mentally suspect and you could be a danger to yourself and or others. Certainly, no guns for you. I am surpised that they gave you a license. Drunk drivers kill far more persons each year than people using guns.
But doctors are far more dangerous than traffic accidents and guns combined. Medical malpracice and mistakes kill over 130,000 people each year. Your figues show that an average of 17.8 persons are killed per year in mass shootings, so you are 7647 times more likely to be killed by a doctor than during a mass shooting. How many people out thee want to ban doctors?
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. That is my point. Instead of looking at the existing laws that "protect" a person's mental health rights, the flip side, is to limit another persons rights. To give full disclosure here, I had to be "evaluated" to get a NC driver's license because of DUI. Had to have a mental health official sign off on it, because of prior behavior. I didn't have to do that to get my NCCHP. It's a tough issue and it will be an intense issue.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

TSF wrote:
No. I didn't even suggest that. Mass shootings are extremely rare but wildly publicized and sensationalized. On the link you provided, I count 513 victims of mass shootings over 29 years. Taking 29 years times the average deaths from gun assults per year of 12,000, that comes to 348,000 victims, so mass shootings accounted for less tan 0.14%. What I am saying is that no evidence indicates that identified mentally ill persons commit murder at a higher rate than others. So, expending huge amounts of resoures toward something that hasnt even been identified as a significant problem doesn' make sense. Add in the confiscation of constituional rights of large numbers of people who have committed no crime but have been mistakenly identifyed a "dangerous". That is a high price to pay for somethng that isnt even proven to be useful.
Also I am saying that a majority of persons identified as "health care professionas" have little or even no training in psychology or psychiatry and are completely and totally unable to correctly identify the mentaly ill or the dangerously mentally ill.
<quoted text>
513 victims in how many events? Do you think it would be important to "expand" the mental health field? Do you think it fair for me to be evaluated for prior behavior and someone removed form campus, not allowed to return until evaluated? Yet, they can buy a firearm but I couldn't drive. Is a car more dangerous that a firearm? Remember, on the purchase form, there is a question on a persons mental health.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 31,421 - 31,440 of49,353
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Charlotte Forum right now

Search the Charlotte Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NAACP pickets at Roses store, protests GOP poli... Thu James Jeffers 39
LIEF COACH busted (Feb '13) Wed Buff Aloe 27
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) Wed southener 4,785
Loan shark needed (Jul '09) Wed nyc2nc 10
Saints are those who are set apart (Mar '08) Wed Past present future 5
Visiting Charlotte... recommendations? Apr 15 nyc2nc 17
diet doctor Apr 15 Tonia 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlotte Jobs

•••
•••
•••