Comments
29,581 - 29,600 of 58,871 Comments Last updated 28 min ago

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#30716 Dec 19, 2012
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
So many are in denial I'm sure, because to admitt your child has a mental illness often times for a parent may mean (to them) that they would be looked upon as a failure as a parent. Often times this may be far from the truth. We as a society need to stop feeling ashamed, come out of our states of denial and speak up and out so these people can get the help the need.
Allen, I have responses to this post and another one you made. I agree many parents are in denial when their children are "different" in anyway i.e. mentally, physically, etc. As a society, we need to stop treating people with mental or physical challenges as children of a lesser god. My brother is physically challenged; however, when people see his condition they assume he's mentally challenged as well and speak very loudly and slowly to him and pat him on the head like he's a child, he's 60 years old. Parents and family members of anyone with any type of mental or physical challenge only want them to be treated as "normal" (whatever that is these days). IMO if there's no stigma attached, parents or family members will be more likely to seek treatment at an early age for their challenged loved ones.

To you other post (don't have it in front of me, so it's not going to be word for word) about people evolving or minds mutating. IMO, people are adapting versus evolving. During the different "ages" of time, people's bodies adapted to the changing environment in order to survive. They gradually were able to tolerate the cold and heat changes, but they still remained human. Not suggesting you don't know the difference, but I looked it up for my own need to know:

"The difference between adaption and evolution is shown in the following example:

At one point, there was probably only one type of crocodile. Over time, the crocodiles adapted to the water in which they live, and some became fresh-water crocks, and some salt-water crocks. But they are both still crocks. A crock did not become a fish.

Evolution is, for example, a pig slowly turning into a horse, or a lizard into a bird."

IMO, our society is adapting to the violence going on around them daily, thus if one feels intimidated by another with a gun, knife etc, his thought would be to equal the playing ground by acquiring a gun, knife etc. Many of us nowadays utilize the fight or flight tactic to handle dangerous or stressful situations. By choosing to fight, then we must have the tools to fight with. This does not mean for one to go buy a gun and go looking for a fight or to kill for sport, but IMO, it means to buy for protection.

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#30717 Dec 19, 2012
"Evolve"is to "adapt" as "strategy"is to"tactics" ?

Location hidden

#30718 Dec 19, 2012
On my earlier post when I said "kill for sport", I meant kill other humans for sport, not for those that like to go hunting for food and sport.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30719 Dec 19, 2012
There were 39 gun murders in the UK last year.Adjusting for population, that is the equivalent of 195 US murders.In 2011, there were over 9,000 gun murders in America.We haven't necessarily "adjusted"to murder in America, we are just USED TOO IT! There were more murders by gun in Houston, with a population of 2.2 million, than the entire UK, with a population, I believe, of around sixty million.Perception, it would seem, is everything.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30720 Dec 19, 2012
In 2011 Houston had around 195 murders..the LOWEST in it's modern history.In 1981, Houston recorded a record 701 murders.Police attribute the drop in murders to the ageing of Houston's population....
Allen

Penrose, NC

#30721 Dec 19, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Were you aware that I am bipolar? Certainly, I've never hid that fact.OVER the years, I've had to learn coping strategies, but you can't do that, if you are unaware that you are indeed...bipolar.By now,I know all the little"tricks"I have to employ to avoid the family"curse".Which, was suicide.Lots and lots, of suicide.There is a societal restraint, that makes it"uncool"to admit you have a"mental"problem.Des pite being"bipolar", i'm a damn nice person.Frankly, I care a whole lot about people.People are everything, the only thing, to me, that matters.Of all the people on this forum, most all already knew about my"problem".Only one poster ever felt the need to make an"issue"of it, and that person would argue with his shadow.
No Waco I had no idea. Except for poor vision, I am of sound mind and body and very thankful. My astrolgical sign is Gemini (the twins). Some people say we have split personalities. I believe that we are flexable and versatile. I am the type that would feel just as much at ease under an interstate bridge talking to a homeless man as I would to be having dinner with the mayor. I choose not to carry a firearm because I did inherit my daddy's temper, however the older I get the better I get at controlling it. I often times carry the weight of the world on my shoulders and feel the need to right all wrongs.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30722 Dec 19, 2012
I wonder what went through MS.Lanzas'head when she saw her son pointing that gun at her? Before the bullet, that is....

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30723 Dec 19, 2012
A modern version of a Civil War cap and ball pistol, using modern powder in place of the corrosive blackpowder, is a lot better than nothing.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30724 Dec 19, 2012
Allen, as far as it goes,A lot of people are bipolar, Increasing mental problems were predicted years ago, in a study using rats...The rats were give plenty of food..allowed to procreate..but in an enclosed, finite system, an environment that was static, as regards its size....the rats began to murder one another as the population increased...and became unbearable to them..the males began to mate with other males....in increasing and dramatic numbers...the rats began to experience"rat insanity"...People aren't rats....but it made some people wonder if the rat experiment could possibly parallel human society, to an extent....
Allen

Penrose, NC

#30725 Dec 19, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
Allen, as far as it goes,A lot of people are bipolar, Increasing mental problems were predicted years ago, in a study using rats...The rats were give plenty of food..allowed to procreate..but in an enclosed, finite system, an environment that was static, as regards its size....the rats began to murder one another as the population increased...and became unbearable to them..the males began to mate with other males....in increasing and dramatic numbers...the rats began to experience"rat insanity"...People aren't rats....but it made some people wonder if the rat experiment could possibly parallel human society, to an extent....

Waco, I do remember that experiment and I agree. I used this example in a conversation just the other day. Glad you brought it up.
Snore

Gastonia, NC

#30726 Dec 19, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
I wonder what went through MS.Lanzas'head when she saw her son pointing that gun at her? Before the bullet, that is....
Morbid thought Waco--what makes you think she had a second to even know what hit her-at least that's what I hoped for her. And for all the other little angels and brave teachers--I pray they didn't suffer a millisecond. I am so saddened yet so pissed at Mz. Lanza. For such an educated person who ironically taught at the school in which both sons attended, how could you not have your guns in a locked cabinet or in a safe, especially knowing and/or being in complete denial that your younger son has some issues. I am at a loss. For the record, I am all for owning a gun(s) to protect me and my loved ones, but I am a responsible gun owner. As for the killer's mental/emotional issues--still am ill-informed on him. We still haven't learned from Columbine which was--10 yrs ago ish. I commend the school for having all their i's dotted and t's crossed as for the safety of their students and faculty. Who would of thunk a school in an upscale, peaceful town would have the security they had. An A for "ahead of the game"/forthought and an A for Angels.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30727 Dec 19, 2012
Snore wrote:
<quoted text>Morbid thought Waco--what makes you think she had a second to even know what hit her-at least that's what I hoped for her. And for all the other little angels and brave teachers--I pray they didn't suffer a millisecond. I am so saddened yet so pissed at Mz. Lanza. For such an educated person who ironically taught at the school in which both sons attended, how could you not have your guns in a locked cabinet or in a safe, especially knowing and/or being in complete denial that your younger son has some issues. I am at a loss. For the record, I am all for owning a gun(s) to protect me and my loved ones, but I am a responsible gun owner. As for the killer's mental/emotional issues--still am ill-informed on him. We still haven't learned from Columbine which was--10 yrs ago ish. I commend the school for having all their i's dotted and t's crossed as for the safety of their students and faculty. Who would of thunk a school in an upscale, peaceful town would have the security they had. An A for "ahead of the game"/forthought and an A for Angels.
that poor woman didn't deserve what she got, sure as hell those babies didn't....Columbine was bad as well....nightmarish......more rich kids going nuts....
Capt Bly

UK

#30728 Dec 19, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
You must have been one of those mentally insane bipolar idiot rats in that study, who unfortunately escaped from being killed. You're really bloody stupid, Yank. Your Topix comments and ugly mugshot certainly attest to these facts. You need some serious plastic surgery on that hideous face of yours too. When's the last time you bathed your nasty self boy?

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30729 Dec 19, 2012
Capt Bly wrote:
<quoted text>You must have been one of those mentally insane bipolar idiot rats in that study, who unfortunately escaped from being killed. You're really bloody stupid, Yank. Your Topix comments and ugly mugshot certainly attest to these facts. You need some serious plastic surgery on that hideous face of yours too. When's the last time you bathed your nasty self boy?
right after I nailed your mom..;)

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30730 Dec 19, 2012
Capt.Bly you have to do a lot better than that! By the way, dumbass.get your nomenclature straight.I'm not a Yank, I'm a Texan boy! Yeee haaaa mother f****r !! I feel MUCH BETTER NOW!!!!

Location hidden

#30731 Dec 19, 2012
Capt Bly wrote:
<quoted text>You must have been one of those mentally insane bipolar idiot rats in that study, who unfortunately escaped from being killed. You're really bloody stupid, Yank. Your Topix comments and ugly mugshot certainly attest to these facts. You need some serious plastic surgery on that hideous face of yours too. When's the last time you bathed your nasty self boy?
Three guesses, Waco, and the first one starts with a 'G'.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30732 Dec 19, 2012
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
Three guesses, Waco, and the first one starts with a 'G'.
haaaa haaaa! Yeah, she is a real nutty gal!

“Arch Nemisis of Democrats”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#30733 Dec 19, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
Hey Silvercoast....what are the gun laws in Singapore?
Haven't checked yet.

Location hidden

#30734 Dec 19, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't checked yet.
I checked it out. You can be tried and hanged for bringing them in. Also, chewing gum is confiscated....You will like the fact that you can only walk on your side of the street. Sounds perfect for you.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#30735 Dec 19, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't checked yet.
With all due respect to Arnold, you can own a gun there, but there's a big background check , including mental, and you have to reapply every year.They seem to consider Americans as"cowboys".Hope your company has some pull.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hCG Weight Loss Doctors in Charlotte, NC 7 hr Jamie27 2
scat 12 hr deandrehayes1 1
Belmont man's art exhibit captures mill era's d... 14 hr Belmont Resident 2
AWESOME! This black minister has made a campaig... Thu insiderpaul 1
Review: Oxbridge Law Firm The (Sep '13) Wed james appiah 3
Biogel Injections (Feb '10) Aug 27 LaLa2020 130
looking for smurfs Aug 27 inNeedThisWeekOnly 5
•••
•••
•••