“physics is your friend”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#29594 Dec 3, 2012
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...This one I can't resist. I will challenge her ass to her death bed.
Yeah, but she ain't using YOUR moniker! LOL....

“physics is your friend”

Location hidden

#29595 Dec 3, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Certainly. Evolution has not changed us sense we have become 'civilized'. Civilization only started less than ten thousand years ago, and more like five thousand for it to really get going. That is not very long in evolutionary terms. It is a blip. The whole of modern humans is a blip in evolution. If we go extinct anytime soon, humans would be a failure in evolutionary terms. And successful species would live for several tens of millions of years. Humans as they are now have only been around for one hundred thousand years give or take.
The cold war possibility of full nuclear war could have wiped out humans. Global warming could wipe out humans. Who knows?
And yes, war is often a result of our instinct to guard our territory for hunting or other resources. Ape groups kill other ape groups that intrude upon territory. In fact, they are quite brutal about it. They eat the enemy, even though they rarely eat any meat. This is thought to show any others who survived not to dare come in the territory.
Apes will even go out and hunt them down like an army.
Humans are not that much different than our ancestor apes. We have a bigger brain, but we do not always use it to its capacity.
The most primitive part of the human brain is actually...reptilian.....or evolved from reptiles.In any event, cockroaches have been around for hundreds of millions of years, but I find I dislike, their quality of life....the technological advances of the last three hundred years, have far outstripped the emotional development of the human brain.a We are no more intelligent than the Romans, yet look at what we have to adjust to and deal with today.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#29596 Dec 3, 2012
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that an act to challenge and undermind the soverignty of the United States is one that is productive to it's growth and future well being? Why weren't the Confederate States given "permission" to secede? An act of tyranny. Check out Andrew Jackson and his fight with John C Calhoun in South Carolina's first attempt to secede in the 1830's. The USA will never grant permission. These people live in a world of altered reality.
This made me think, an act of treason is to fight against your country in your country and give aide and comfort to the enemy. If it's a peaceful secession(?) without bloodshed, how does this constitute treason. With that being said, what makes our NAI citizens live, educate, and police themself without the laws of U.S. being invoked? For instance, when Anna Nicole Smith died on land owned by the Seminole Indians, the Seminole Indians had the right to take over the investigation without outside help from whatever county the death occurred in. They are able to make the rules for the land they own without very little local, state or federal interferrence and that's not considered treason. Of course, we did come in and take their land from them, so maybe we're the ones that have committed a wrong by running them from their land, killing them and then declaring the U.S. our's. If they rose up against those of us that are not NAI, would they be committing treason? Something to ponder. What's your opinion?

“physics is your friend”

Location hidden

#29597 Dec 3, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
This made me think, an act of treason is to fight against your country in your country and give aide and comfort to the enemy. If it's a peaceful secession(?) without bloodshed, how does this constitute treason. With that being said, what makes our NAI citizens live, educate, and police themself without the laws of U.S. being invoked? For instance, when Anna Nicole Smith died on land owned by the Seminole Indians, the Seminole Indians had the right to take over the investigation without outside help from whatever county the death occurred in. They are able to make the rules for the land they own without very little local, state or federal interferrence and that's not considered treason. Of course, we did come in and take their land from them, so maybe we're the ones that have committed a wrong by running them from their land, killing them and then declaring the U.S. our's. If they rose up against those of us that are not NAI, would they be committing treason? Something to ponder. What's your opinion?
The Indians got screwed.History shows, again and again, how the strong dominate the less strong.Texas is VITAL to the interests of America.Rhode Island can't secede.Because....then Texans would think that Texas could secede.Texas is a quarter of the size of the continental United States.Twenty four million people.THINK America imports a lot of oil? See how much MORE oil America would have to import without Texas oil and gas.WITHOUT the refining capacity of Texas Gulf Coast, America loses 25 percent of its refining capacity...say hello to MONUMENTAL fuel and heating oil shortages.Texas also supplies a HUGE amount of human resources to the American military.Without the Port of Houston, the second largest port in America, and the LARGEST in international tonnage, America would be crippled.America, and Americans, need Texas.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#29598 Dec 3, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> The most primitive part of the human brain is actually...reptilian.....or evolved from reptiles.In any event, cockroaches have been around for hundreds of millions of years, but I find I dislike, their quality of life....the technological advances of the last three hundred years, have far outstripped the emotional development of the human brain.a We are no more intelligent than the Romans, yet look at what we have to adjust to and deal with today.
I agree on most of this. But the main reason it is thought we evolved a large brain, was to adapt without physically changing. We can create and innovate to adapt to climate changes, and various food sources.
I think we can emotionally handle today's pressures, but I am not sure if we as a species can handle the responsibility of our creations. As our creations are causing climate change in ways that we may not be able to adapt to survive. Who knows?
I think our pressures are much less than many of our ancestors. Just getting food was an ordeal for them. We do not have that problem so much anymore.

Location hidden

#29599 Dec 3, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, but she ain't using YOUR moniker! LOL....
She has one exactly like mine.....I think she is on the Topix Board of Directors.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#29600 Dec 3, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be treason, but only by our laws.
Yes, we certainly stole the land we call America. We should always remember this. I am always reminded of this on Thanksgiving. For me, the holiday is one that is apologetic to the natives of this land,at least in spirit.

Yes, the petition to secede right now is of a peaceful nature, but will it continue to be peaceful? Many are already saying they might take it to another level if the peaceful petition is not successful. I figure they are just blustering, but who knows?

Location hidden

#29601 Dec 3, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I agree on most of this. But the main reason it is thought we evolved a large brain, was to adapt without physically changing. We can create and innovate to adapt to climate changes, and various food sources.
I think we can emotionally handle today's pressures, but I am not sure if we as a species can handle the responsibility of our creations. As our creations are causing climate change in ways that we may not be able to adapt to survive. Who knows?
I think our pressures are much less than many of our ancestors. Just getting food was an ordeal for them. We do not have that problem so much anymore.
Arctic cap is melting...the oceans are rising...and Republicans go to Fox News for answers on global warming.....Yes..it is the end.

Location hidden

#29602 Dec 3, 2012
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>I guess my question was the definition of "treason" and how it applies. If Tx wanted to pull away from the other states, how does it undermine the sovereignty of the rest of the country? I would think TX would be the "Lone Ranger", out in the cold by it's self.
"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"

“physics is your friend”

Location hidden

#29603 Dec 3, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I agree on most of this. But the main reason it is thought we evolved a large brain, was to adapt without physically changing. We can create and innovate to adapt to climate changes, and various food sources.
I read that the development of language is what necessitated the increase in size of the human brain.Also the brain requires a lot of protein, and the best way to get that protein was through meat.You'll notice that most grazing animals aren't that bright, and because of the poor nutritional value of grass and forage, are forced to eat constantly.Elephants, which have large brains, are an exception.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#29604 Dec 3, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> The Indians got screwed.History shows, again and again, how the strong dominate the less strong.Texas is VITAL to the interests of America.Rhode Island can't secede.Because....then Texans would think that Texas could secede.Texas is a quarter of the size of the continental United States.Twenty four million people.THINK America imports a lot of oil? See how much MORE oil America would have to import without Texas oil and gas.WITHOUT the refining capacity of Texas Gulf Coast, America loses 25 percent of its refining capacity...say hello to MONUMENTAL fuel and heating oil shortages.Texas also supplies a HUGE amount of human resources to the American military.Without the Port of Houston, the second largest port in America, and the LARGEST in international tonnage, America would be crippled.America, and Americans, need Texas.
The native Americans were not less strong, they had less technology. Now maybe you are calling the technology the strength?
Fact is, whoever has the better technology is more likely to win a war.
Guns, germs and steel is what conquered native America. Europeans had the advantage of many cultures technology put together to make for great advanced technology, and thus easily conquered America.
The exchange of information is what drives technology.

This is why I get so bent when anyone tries to stifle a conversation or information. It only leads to continued ignorance. It makes you weak.

“physics is your friend”

Location hidden

#29605 Dec 3, 2012
Mike, it may be that we can't keep up with technology.The results could be disastrous.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#29606 Dec 3, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> I read that the development of language is what necessitated the increase in size of the human brain.Also the brain requires a lot of protein, and the best way to get that protein was through meat.You'll notice that most grazing animals aren't that bright, and because of the poor nutritional value of grass and forage, are forced to eat constantly.Elephants, which have large brains, are an exception.
Yes, there are many reasons our brains grew larger and many are just hypothesis's.
One is that we needed to be smarter to keep track of our deceptions or lies in a large group of peers. As groups got larger, it was hard to keep track, and thus a need for more intelligence. So natural selection may have been one mechanism here.
One hypothesis says our new found ability to control fire enabled us to eat ever more meat,thus so much more protein, thus more fuel for a larger brain.Cooking food enables more protein/fat intake. The brain uses massive amounts of energy/food, and many animals cannot sustain such fuel. Now of course, we must have had some higher intelligence to control fire. So it seems there may be more than one factor.
The fossil record shows hominids grew larger and larger brains through time. The fossil record shows the technology came in correlation to the larger sized brain to a certain extent.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#29607 Dec 3, 2012
waco1909 wrote:
Mike, it may be that we can't keep up with technology.The results could be disastrous.
Agreed. But who knows? My emotions tell me to be optimistic. Should I listen to that emotion?
The downside of that sort of optimism would be that I might do less to keep the disaster away. The upside is, I do not go insane with worry. So my instinctive mind might just stay in denial to the possible disaster in order to stay sane.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#29608 Dec 3, 2012
Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
Arctic cap is melting...the oceans are rising...and Republicans go to Fox News for answers on global warming.....Yes..it is the end.
They seem to be in denial mode. Allowing emotions to control themselves.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#29609 Dec 3, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
If Texas secedes, you will have to choose for yourself and family. I have faith that you will make the best decision in the interest of your family and yourself, regardless of what opinion any of us have.
But as you pointed out earlier, Texas will not secede nor will the Union allow Texas too because of control and money. Cost huge amounts of money to start a new country and the Federalist don't want to posture themselves that a state just may be able to do it better.
The progressives and liberal types all keep saying be more reasonable and lean forward. If Texas feels they can do it better than the American government, what is the hang up on why they shouldn't be allowed the chance too other than money or control?
Because it would not move the country forward. The fights we would inevitably have would not be productive. I can see trade wars, and maybe embargo's.
Also, as I said, we invested in all the states, so we want to keep them. No one wants to let go of costly investments. Many paid with lives for those states.

But I will admit, nice try at playing on our progressive agenda. If you can make for a stronger case on it, you may have some good propaganda.

“Arch Nemisis of Democrats”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#29610 Dec 3, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Because it would not move the country forward. The fights we would inevitably have would not be productive. I can see trade wars, and maybe embargo's.
Also, as I said, we invested in all the states, so we want to keep them. No one wants to let go of costly investments. Many paid with lives for those states.
But I will admit, nice try at playing on our progressive agenda. If you can make for a stronger case on it, you may have some good propaganda.
Miley, I don't have to pander anything for you guys. Your unwillingness to be reasonable and any forward thinking that might of saved America waved bye bye on November 6th with you guys re-electing your president.

Guess being peaceful about things is just unreasonable to democrats and liberals. Well, hopefully when it becomes unpeaceful, it will be your problem to deal with come Friday.

“physics is your friend”

Location hidden

#29611 Dec 3, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. But who knows? My emotions tell me to be optimistic. Should I listen to that emotion?
The downside of that sort of optimism would be that I might do less to keep the disaster away. The upside is, I do not go insane with worry. So my instinctive mind might just stay in denial to the possible disaster in order to stay sane.
Always best to maintain optimism.Especially, for someone like me, I've found.
Snore

Gastonia, NC

#29612 Dec 4, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. More logic needs to be used in decision making. One can use his emotions to factor into the process, but unless one understands emotions, he is less likely to judge them properly. Evolutionary psychology teaches us why we feel what we feel in more scientific terms, we often do not realize on the surface.
For example, the emotions of prejudice. We are a group species, thus instinctively are prejudice against others unlike ourselves.
In modern times, this instinct often causes more problems than the original reasons for the trait solved.
Evolution takes a long time to catch up to what is the best thing for the situation. This is why evolution gave humans a large brain. It enabled the species to overcome problems that instincts alone could not deal with.
This is the major difference between humans and all other species. So if you are allowing your instincts to control you, you are ignoring the great abilities humans have over all other species.
Clearly Silver allows his instincts/emotions to rule his worldview.
Mike, if there is any "normalcy" in this world in which we live, I personally am giving your post here as "imo"/what your average poster would post without all your "no substance" BS or "show me a link" BS, etc.,etc.,etc.,.I could ask you the same thing as where are all your links supporting the aforementioned post. You see how you can be TOO EXTREME AND TOO LITERAL and it becomes so exhausting that you piss people off, hence the OCD remarks. See where I am going with this? I wish there was an icon for "imo". But I will give you this--you would make one hell of a defense lawyer with all your spinning, although you do have many valid points keeping GOD out of the equation, but you would piss the judge off because of your EXTREME overzealousness. lol So what I am saying is that you would serve your client EXTREMELY well.
Snore

Gastonia, NC

#29613 Dec 4, 2012
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
We did drop two nukes on them...
Do you remember WW2? America was at war with Japan and Germany(Italy was with them.) The Japs attacked the US without warning, without a formal declaration of war, HENCE Pearl Harbor attack. THEN we dropped the 2 bombs in 1945 and the cities hit were already military targets and one in particular was the shipyard that employed 50,000 civilians that were making battleships, ammo, tanks, war planes etc. So YOU ARE a TARGET. Still don't trust them for sh&t. Visit fine--live there--crazy. My opinion. Mike you should of been the one to keep Silvers facts in proper order.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where Did the Devil Come From? (May '08) 1 hr Gary Coaldigger 411
Loomis Fargo Heist smarty pants...where are the... 2 hr Sparky 1
can someone explain this to me? 5 hr wilson 1
Legit massage for wife? 22 hr Charlottedaddy 4
Black churchgoers break with leading Democrats ... (Apr '12) Dec 23 Brian_G 1,909
Cogratulations On Your Sex Offenders Dec 21 Whitey 2
Are All Black Women Fat Ugly and Uneducated Dec 21 Whitey 3
Charlotte Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Charlotte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Charlotte News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Charlotte

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News