Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
Big tea party repub

Hamer, SC

#26810 Nov 5, 2012
Cant wait to go back to the old ways
Barry h Obama what a joke Mr welfare
Good thing about it there will never be
Another coon prez ever

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#26811 Nov 5, 2012
I forgot to add, it's not MY story. It was around, much to you dismay, WAAAAAAAAAAY before I got here.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#26813 Nov 5, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Emlu, I have a degree in science; however, my sister is a psychologist. Psychology does not pass the criteria of being a science. Psychology is "opinion". You can look it up under "is psychology a science." You are debating a person that puts all his eggs in the basket of science, yet relies on psychology to make his points. The two have nothing to do with each other. Science is proven and psychology is not, therefore, one cannot support the other.
Psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of mental functions and behaviors.[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology

Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

Psychology can test its theories and can make predictions that are consistent.

Thank you for showing your ignorance and denial of some sciences. Typical Christian in denial.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26814 Nov 5, 2012
emlu wrote:
I forgot to add, it's not MY story. It was around, much to you dismay, WAAAAAAAAAAY before I got here.
Forgot to add to what? Your continued running from the debate?
If you did not know what I meant, you have even bigger problems. But I am sure you are just nit picking to divert.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26815 Nov 5, 2012
Big tea party repub wrote:
Cant wait to go back to the old ways
Barry h Obama what a joke Mr welfare
Good thing about it there will never be
Another coon prez ever
Silver would be so proud of you.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26816 Nov 5, 2012
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>It could also be "open to suggestion".
What could be "open to suggestion"? You mean that think you refuse to discuss?
Suggest all you wish.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26817 Nov 5, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Emlu, I have a degree in science; however, my sister is a psychologist. Psychology does not pass the criteria of being a science. Psychology is "opinion". You can look it up under "is psychology a science." You are debating a person that puts all his eggs in the basket of science, yet relies on psychology to make his points. The two have nothing to do with each other. Science is proven and psychology is not, therefore, one cannot support the other.
Does your sister agree with your claim of psychology not being a science?

Location hidden

#26818 Nov 5, 2012
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/views/editorial/... Electronic makers need to get with the times.
Interesting read from Japan. How their industry markets need to deregulate

Location hidden

#26819 Nov 5, 2012
"Serious deregulation of sectors with growth potential, such as the welfare, nursing care, power and energy industries, for instance, would create many new business opportunities." This coming from Japan. Isn't the US doing just the opposite.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#26820 Nov 5, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of mental functions and behaviors.[
Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.[
Thank you for showing your ignorance and denial of some sciences. Typical Christian in denial.
Mike, I am posting a site for your to read. I'm not going to tell you what it says. You will actually find that I'm posting an article that is unbiased and by reading, I think you will agree.

BTW, my sister says psychology is not a science. This is her reasoning. You can take science and teach microbiology; however, you cannot take psychology and teach a microbiology with it. She also also says you can't teach math with psychology. Psychology is opinion which can vary; however, 1+1=2, will never change. Sciences are tested and the result should always be the same i.e. testing for strep throat should always give the same result if a person has strep. Strep, if strep, will always test gram positive.

Read the article and give me your opinion.

http://www.arachnoid.com/psychology/index.htm...
Navy Gal

Eden, NC

#26821 Nov 5, 2012
Cannot believe that people are wasting their time discussing potential candidates. This is how it goes...they are "GOATS" and we are the "SHEEPLE" and somewhere in the midst of all that there is a really giant "GOAT" with a few "BIG" goats under him. Every four years, after the giant "GOAT" returns from a holiday with his other giant "GOATS" where a "SUPER BIG" goat is selected to live and "?rule?" in the "GOAT HOUSE" on the "HILL". In the meantime, all the little "SHEEPLE" run around talking about voting just like they are suppose to do so they won't figure it all out. Don't waste your time to vote for another goat...:-)

Location hidden

#26822 Nov 5, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of mental functions and behaviors.[
See you forgot to leave out the part about the difference in formal science and social science. Fuzzy logic can be a social science, but I wouldn't want someone treating me for a heart condition with a degree in social science. You need to understand the difference in formal science which is proven science, and social science which is opinion based and the results can vary. I don't consider psychology a science because the results can vary. If being a psychologist was a formal science and could be based on opinion (which is why it's not), everyone on here, according to you, would be wrong and you would be right and you're no scientist.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26823 Nov 5, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I am posting a site for your to read. I'm not going to tell you what it says. You will actually find that I'm posting an article that is unbiased and by reading, I think you will agree.
BTW, my sister says psychology is not a science. This is her reasoning. You can take science and teach microbiology; however, you cannot take psychology and teach a microbiology with it. She also also says you can't teach math with psychology. Psychology is opinion which can vary; however, 1+1=2, will never change. Sciences are tested and the result should always be the same i.e. testing for strep throat should always give the same result if a person has strep. Strep, if strep, will always test gram positive.
In modern use, "science" more often refers to a way of pursuing knowledge, not only the knowledge itself. It is "often treated as synonymous with 'natural and physical science', and thus restricted to those branches of study that relate to the phenomena of the material universe and their laws, sometimes with implied exclusion of pure mathematics.
Wiki.
I am not arguing psychology is a 'hard science' and I see this article is basing all its conclusions and comparisons on hard sciences.
But that does not mean it is not a science. Just because some or even most of the conclusions cannot be known in an absolute manner, it is still a science that studies the human mind in ways that are relatively controlled.
I note the article was written by someone with zero credentials in psychology.
I do not understand your sisters reasoning. The example is clarifies nothing to me. Just as this article being written by someone with no credentials in psychology, I see no correlation that microbiology to psychology in the context she states. One is a hard science and one is soft. It is a grey area.
Ask your sister if she thinks their is any claims of psychology she agrees with? If she says yes, ask her if it was due to the scientific experiments or was it based upon religion.
Science is a study of nature through observations. Nothing in the basic sense of the word demands an absolute.
When I cite psychology to make a point, I am not by definition saying it is one hundred percent absolute. I am just showing it is so common of a trait, that the science of psychology sees a pattern.
Denial is a pattern that is clearly seen by psychology. We all do it to some degree. Some more so than others. Admitting to yourself that you may be in some denial allows you to better introspect your beliefs.
Some denial is even healthy. If you dwell to much on your faults, it could lead to depression. So it is believed that denial could be a safety mechanism to help prevent insanity. But with most evolutionary psychological traits, they can be be abused or overused.
Let me give an example for illustration.
A person may be in denial of his or her weight being to high. His denial keeps him confident enough to go into society and not be so self conscious that he is crippled socially.
But clearly this denial is also keeping him from working hard to lose weight.
Being in denial of religious beliefs can actually lead to survival. In the days of inquisitors, tricking yourself into believing could keep you alive.
Many Christians do not believe the literal writings of the bible. The deny to themselves that they need to be, in order to keep belief.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26824 Nov 5, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
See you forgot to leave out the part about the difference in formal science and social science. Fuzzy logic can be a social science, but I wouldn't want someone treating me for a heart condition with a degree in social science. You need to understand the difference in formal science which is proven science, and social science which is opinion based and the results can vary. I don't consider psychology a science because the results can vary. If being a psychologist was a formal science and could be based on opinion (which is why it's not), everyone on here, according to you, would be wrong and you would be right and you're no scientist.
Some parts of most sciences do not have one hundred percent agreement.
Of course psychology is a social science. That is still 'science'.
Psychology learns much of its findings from neurology and the study of the anatomy of the brain.
No one expects you to go to a psychologist for heart surgery, just as you would not go to a geologist for heart surgery.

You keep having these straw man examples as it looks like your sister does the same.

"Formal science"? Are you moving the goal posts?

Location hidden

#26825 Nov 5, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>In modern use, "science" more often refers to a way of pursuing knowledge, not only the knowledge itself. It is "often treated as synonymous with 'natural and physical science', and thus restricted to those branches of study that relate to the phenomena of the material universe and their laws, sometimes with implied exclusion of pure mathematics.
Wiki.
I am not arguing psychology is a 'hard science' and I see this article is basing all its conclusions and comparisons on hard sciences.
But that does not mean it is not a science. Just because some or even most of the conclusions cannot be known in an absolute manner, it is still a science that studies the human mind in ways that are relatively controlled.
I note the article was written by someone with zero credentials in psychology.
I do not understand your sisters reasoning. The example is clarifies nothing to me. Just as this article being written by someone with no credentials in psychology, I see no correlation that microbiology to psychology in the context she states. One is a hard science and one is soft. It is a grey area.
Ask your sister if she thinks their is any claims of psychology she agrees with? If she says yes, ask her if it was due to the scientific experiments or was it based upon religion.
Science is a study of nature through observations. Nothing in the basic sense of the word demands an absolute.
When I cite psychology to make a point, I am not by definition saying it is one hundred percent absolute. I am just showing it is so common of a trait, that the science of psychology sees a pattern.
Denial is a pattern that is clearly seen by psychology. We all do it to some degree. Some more so than others. Admitting to yourself that you may be in some denial allows you to better introspect your beliefs.
Some denial is even healthy. If you dwell to much on your faults, it could lead to depression. So it is believed that denial could be a safety mechanism to help prevent insanity. But with most evolutionary psychological traits, they can be be abused or overused.
Let me give an example for illustration.
A person may be in denial of his or her weight being to high. His denial keeps him confident enough to go into society and not be so self conscious that he is crippled socially.
But clearly this denial is also keeping him from working hard to lose weight.
Being in denial of religious beliefs can actually lead to survival. In the days of inquisitors, tricking yourself into believing could keep you alive.
Many Christians do not believe the literal writings of the bible. The deny to themselves that they need to be, in order to keep belief.
Thank you for no bashing and reading the article. My sister has explained to me that psychology is the study of behavior. Let's use another example: you say you beat up a woman because you had a bad marriage and another guy says he beat up a woman because his mother was a bad mother. Clearly unlike hard sciences, there's two reasons I have stated right here and a multitude of more reasons why men beat up women i.e. control, sexaul high, etc and there is not one definitive reason why men beat up women as there is the answer to 1+1=2. A psychologist is there to LISTEN, form an opinion as to the cause and effect (never get those two right?), then form a plan of behavior modification. If the person seeking help lies, holds out information, then this changes the outcome of the diganosis, but still in formal science 1+1=2. All a psychologist has to rely on is their observation and opinion. Of course, it's clear when someone is clearly off the reservation, doesn't take science to figure that one out, for example, Charles Manson. My sister says psychology at best is a social science, but so are many other fields of study that are lumped under the umberella of being a "science." They are not definitive as hard/formal science and rely on opinion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26826 Nov 5, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
The beauty of science is that it can vary. It is not restricted like religion by dogma.
If new information is found, science can change its theories to suit the evidence found. This is why science continually improves, and religion is so stagnant.

If the medical community learns something new of the human liver, it may change its diagnosis of the past.

By your reasoning, we should place zero trust in what your sister has learned in her field.

This does not mean one must put one hundred percent trust in it. Grey area.

I would assume you place some trust in your sisters training in the science of psychology.

What psychology learns is mostly done using the scientific method.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26827 Nov 5, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for no bashing and reading the article. My sister has explained to me that psychology is the study of behavior. Let's use another example: you say you beat up a woman because you had a bad marriage and another guy says he beat up a woman because his mother was a bad mother. Clearly unlike hard sciences, there's two reasons I have stated right here and a multitude of more reasons why men beat up women i.e. control, sexaul high, etc and there is not one definitive reason why men beat up women as there is the answer to 1+1=2. A psychologist is there to LISTEN, form an opinion as to the cause and effect (never get those two right?), then form a plan of behavior modification. If the person seeking help lies, holds out information, then this changes the outcome of the diganosis, but still in formal science 1+1=2. All a psychologist has to rely on is their observation and opinion. Of course, it's clear when someone is clearly off the reservation, doesn't take science to figure that one out, for example, Charles Manson. My sister says psychology at best is a social science, but so are many other fields of study that are lumped under the umberella of being a "science." They are not definitive as hard/formal science and rely on opinion.
Most medical diagnosis are not based upon only one criteria. Many medical diagnosis are based upon educated opinions.
But I doubt you deny medicine is a science.
I see you are now changing the argument to psychology being a soft science and a social science.
You will get no argument out of me on this. I only argued it is a science as you denied earlier.

Manson may be a product of his environment, but that does not automatically mean he will not be held accountable for his actions.
What an understanding of someone like Manson using psychology may do is help to prevent more Manson's.

Is it a perfect science? No, but psychology and its therapies clearly helps people function, and function in healthier ways.
I feel dismissing it as less than science is problematic. I see the religious often dismissing its validity. Likely because it generally does not include a god.
The study of the mind is likely to lead one to understand the mind is not controlled by gods and demons. It leads one to understand it is unlikely that thinking can exist once the brain dies.

Neurology shows that if a certain part of the brain is damaged, one loses certain thinking abilities.
So it defies logic to think is a brain is damaged completely, it can still think outside the body or as a spirit.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26828 Nov 5, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
I note you speak of what a psychologist can do for a patient. But that is not all of psychology. That is just one application of the science of psychology.
Just as one application of geology would be to look for oil, which would also be limited to what it tools it can use to detect the make up of the earth below.
I think each person should learn psychology to a certain degree, because of the limitations you cite. The individual may diagnose some of his own problems by doing so.
But it is always good to use a professional also. Even psychologists go to psychologists.
Why? Because psychology has learned, we self deceive so much, even a psychologist will do it no matter how much he understands he is doing it. Having someone else, especially a professional to point things out, makes it hard to keep in denial.
I would expect most psychologist know how to detect a patients lies. Thus they can ask certain questions to lead them to the real truth. Of course it always makes it easier, quicker, and more accurate if the patient is truthful.

Location hidden

#26829 Nov 5, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The beauty of science is that it can vary. It is not restricted like religion by dogma.
If new information is found, science can change its theories to suit the evidence found. This is why science continually improves, and religion is so stagnant.
If the medical community learns something new of the human liver, it may change its diagnosis of the past.
By your reasoning, we should place zero trust in what your sister has learned in her field.
This does not mean one must put one hundred percent trust in it. Grey area.
I would assume you place some trust in your sisters training in the science of psychology.
What psychology learns is mostly done using the scientific method.
Mike, a lot of people place their trust in my sister, so I'd say she's pretty good at what she does. Let me add, my sister is also a christian and this has nothing to do with her treatment of patients. Again, she says she listens and talk is therapy, she only has what they tell her to base her diagnosis and plan of treatment off of and her religious beliefs are not a factor in the treatment of a patient. My daughter is a christian and doesn't ask before someone comes into the OR if they're a christian, it has nothing to do with her treatment or the surgery performed, she relies on medical training. Why do you always feel the need to debate religion? You always say christians don't debate religion because they have a weak argument. Have you ever thought even as christians, we give you the choice to believe or not believe and without demeaning you, but you feel compelled to demean us? Mike, you have stated at one time you were taught the Bible. As far as I'm concerned you had your chance, it wasn't your cup of tea and I'm not going to ask or beg you to believe what I believe. This may sound harsh but I don't care. There are others that haven't had the opportunity to at least hear the word of the Bible and believe it or deny it, those are the ones that I feel as a christian I'll be responsible for reaching. Wasting my time on someone that has at least heard the word of God and rejects it would not make me a good steward of spreading the word to those that haven't.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26830 Nov 5, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the general consensus of psychology holds, if you are abused as a child, you are more likely to abuse as an adult. Not sure if we needed a scientist to tell us this. But if the woman beating man does not know this, having a psychologist explain this to him may just lead to him not beating women so much.
I would figure the psychologist would ask a bunch of questions about his childhood and try to narrow down the correlations.

BTW all of this is in line with most conservative thinking. Having a proper family environment is conducive to a proper adulthood.

Liberal theory is, if a mother is so poor, she must leave her kids for the street to raise them, it will likely lead to an adulthood of problems. So liberals push for them to get financial help and or proper day care.

Obviously government cannot fix all those issues, but it can so some part to help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homeless women from Charlotte. 6 hr Angel at night 4
What the hell is wrong with blacks in charlotte? Sat ThomasA 7
Who smokes in charlotte Sat Angie 1
Is pastor AMY Lambert in rehab? Sat Angel at night 2
Looking for new subscribers Restarting YouTube ... Fri Anonymous 1
Con Artist arrives in Charlotte Jul 21 Fred Herbert 8
Why was pastor Amy lambert arrested? Jul 19 Angel at night 45

Charlotte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance