“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#26629 Nov 4, 2012
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Interpretation of this passage is typically considered complex.[7] N.T. Wright says that 1 Timothy 2 is the "hardest passage of all" to exegete properly.[8] A number of interpretive approaches to the text have been made by complementarians and egalitarians. Vital to remember is that this writing is only one side of a letter written by Paul, and directed at a particular group. Therefor, interpretations are limited to one sided information with no record of the associated correspondence to which Paul was responding. Forming a conclusion on such limited information will be empirically impossible. Best practice would be to place Paul's letters into context with the Torah which he declared to love. The following is a collections of opinions.
Egalitarian and complementarian interpretive approaches to the text typically take the following forms.
Socio-cultural: egalitarians argue that the text was intended for a specific socio-cultural environment which no longer exists and that the text is therefore not relevant to modern churches[9](typically rely heavily on historical reconstructions using extra-biblical sources); complementarians argue that the socio-cultural environment (while relevant), does not restrict the application of the verse to a specific time and place in the past[10]
Lexical: egalitarians argue that the meaning of the key word in the text, authente&#333;, does not support the exclusion of women from authoritative teaching positions in the congregation;[11] complementarians argue that the meaning of this word in its context indicates that Paul did not wish women to have authority over men in the church[12]
Hermeneutical: egalitarians argue that the text was intended only to limit women for a specific temporary duration, or that it was intended only to limit uneducated women who were unfit to speak in the congregation;[13] complementarians argue that hermeneutical considerations indicate the text is universal in its application to Christian congregations[14]
Grey area
So in short, you are saying, the apologists say, it was good to keep women from being equals back in olden times but not now?
To bad Paul did not make this clear. It is as if a perfect god did not inspire the writings after all.
They are so imperfect, it has lead to thousands of years of women being treated as lesser to men by mandate of a god.

It was wrong then, and it is wrong now. Humans are human, men and women both, and never was there a time when women should have not been able to teach men.

The men who wrote the bible were misogynist.

The bible is very black and white. If it were truly perfect, that would not be a problem so much.

“ We are not permanent”

Since: Oct 08

Gaston County

#26630 Nov 4, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I think Mitt would have a lot better chance at winning if he had picked Christie for VP.
Ryan is a divider.
And Obama is a uniter?

“ We are not permanent”

Since: Oct 08

Gaston County

#26631 Nov 4, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>After Iraq/Halliburton/Cheney, I do not see anyone being forced to resign over profiting from policy.
Nor will they question James Biden (brother of Joe Biden) for the billion dollar construction contract he was awarded. Politics as usual.

Oh.....here is a link for your reading pleasure.

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumn...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#26632 Nov 4, 2012
The Enemy Within wrote:
<quoted text>
And Obama is a uniter?
Not as much as the Republican House are dividers whose agenda was to block every jobs bill that came before them.
Waco 1909

Humble, TX

#26633 Nov 4, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I just wonder why a god that has the powers as claimed in the bible allows for cancer.
It is as if no god exists at all.
And yet....here we are.Did we spontaneously erupt from nothingness?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#26634 Nov 4, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So in short, you are saying, the apologists say, it was good to keep women from being equals back in olden times but not now?
To bad Paul did not make this clear. It is as if a perfect god did not inspire the writings after all.
They are so imperfect, it has lead to thousands of years of women being treated as lesser to men by mandate of a god.
It was wrong then, and it is wrong now. Humans are human, men and women both, and never was there a time when women should have not been able to teach men.
The men who wrote the bible were misogynist.
The bible is very black and white. If it were truly perfect, that would not be a problem so much.
I always thought women were revered. Misogyny (play /m&#618;&#712;s&#5 94;d&#658;&#618;ni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls.
Waco 1909

Humble, TX

#26635 Nov 4, 2012
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Interpretation of this passage is typically considered complex.[7] N.T. Wright says that 1 Timothy 2 is the "hardest passage of all" to exegete properly.[8] A number of interpretive approaches to the text have been made by complementarians and egalitarians. Vital to remember is that this writing is only one side of a letter written by Paul, and directed at a particular group. Therefor, interpretations are limited to one sided information with no record of the associated correspondence to which Paul was responding. Forming a conclusion on such limited information will be empirically impossible. Best practice would be to place Paul's letters into context with the Torah which he declared to love. The following is a collections of opinions.
Egalitarian and complementarian interpretive approaches to the text typically take the following forms.
Socio-cultural: egalitarians argue that the text was intended for a specific socio-cultural environment which no longer exists and that the text is therefore not relevant to modern churches[9](typically rely heavily on historical reconstructions using extra-biblical sources); complementarians argue that the socio-cultural environment (while relevant), does not restrict the application of the verse to a specific time and place in the past[10]
Lexical: egalitarians argue that the meaning of the key word in the text, authente&#333;, does not support the exclusion of women from authoritative teaching positions in the congregation;[11] complementarians argue that the meaning of this word in its context indicates that Paul did not wish women to have authority over men in the church[12]
Hermeneutical: egalitarians argue that the text was intended only to limit women for a specific temporary duration, or that it was intended only to limit uneducated women who were unfit to speak in the congregation;[13] complementarians argue that hermeneutical considerations indicate the text is universal in its application to Christian congregations[14]
Grey area
That was a beautiful post.From a beautiful person.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26636 Nov 4, 2012
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your mind that simple.
Just answer the damn question. We cannot read your twisted mind.

Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxpayer, Do you feel the assistance given to residents of New Jersey and New York in the aftermath of Sandy through the Federal government is a violation of your rights, and therefore, taking away certain rights from you?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#26637 Nov 4, 2012
Allen wrote:
Waco, I have no idea what your dissabilty is but when pukes like repub speak to the dissabled this way my blood boils. My baby brother suffered with spinal meningitis from six months to thirteen years and then past away. It hits a nerve deep within. I have no respect for those who disrespect the dissabled.
Allen, you have shared your story of a family member with disabilities, Arnold also has and I, too, have a brother with disabilities. I have no time for ANYONE that is so pathetic that stooping to pick on persons with disabilities is fair game. My gosh, 4 and 5 year old children know that's unacceptable, so clearly we're with dealing with a man with the maturation and intelligence of a 3 year old. If only this person and notice I don't call him a man because he's not a man to me, could only understand how much love people with disabilities can bring to a family. Unlike him, they don't judge, they don't make fun, they somehow manage to love even people as underserving as him. Truly they have a greater insight into what matters and what doesn't than those of us without disabilities.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#26638 Nov 4, 2012
The Enemy Within wrote:
<quoted text>
And Obama is a uniter?
Damn skippy. Bottom up and middle out! The $ signs in Romney's eyes have obscured his vision of what the true America is all about.
Waco 1909

Humble, TX

#26639 Nov 4, 2012
Mike....you seem to be a bit of a misogynist yourself.To be frank....and you will of course disagree...you seem to exhibit hostility to women on this forum frequently.Admittedly this is subjective.Seems to me you've always been harsher on the ladies.Mike, Topix does not show the real person.For instance you are quite wrong about Bacon not being a lady.Bacon has endured much.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26640 Nov 4, 2012
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> And yet....here we are.Did we spontaneously erupt from nothingness?
"nothing"is a relative term in science. There is no absolute "nothing" that has ever been observed.

What religion claims is to 'know' in absolute terms where all came from, yet they have absolutely zero evidence to support the claim.

Also, if you believe god created all,then god must have created cancer.

What you are doing is, filling a gap of knowledge with a god. That is exactly how all gods were invented by man.

My atheism, or lack of belief in a god, does not require me to know all answers to all questions.
Waco 1909

Humble, TX

#26641 Nov 4, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"nothing"is a relative term in science. There is no absolute "nothing" that has ever been observed.
What religion claims is to 'know' in absolute terms where all came from, yet they have absolutely zero evidence to support the claim.
Also, if you believe god created all,then god must have created cancer.
What you are doing is, filling a gap of knowledge with a god. That is exactly how all gods were invented by man.
My atheism, or lack of belief in a god, does not require me to know all answers to all questions.
GOD created all things.including spiders and cancer.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26642 Nov 4, 2012
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> That was a beautiful post.From a beautiful person.
She copied and pasted that entire post.

So do you agree it was good to keep women from teaching men in biblical times?

I would love to hear the logic behind this blind belief.
Were the women all stupid back then? Tell us, please, what was the beauty of that misogyny?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26643 Nov 4, 2012
Waco 1909 wrote:
Mike....you seem to be a bit of a misogynist yourself.To be frank....and you will of course disagree...you seem to exhibit hostility to women on this forum frequently.Admittedly this is subjective.Seems to me you've always been harsher on the ladies.Mike, Topix does not show the real person.For instance you are quite wrong about Bacon not being a lady.Bacon has endured much.
Thanks for telling us your perception.
So by your reasoning, a woman automatically becomes a lady by enduring much?
I do not excuse poor behavior with such reasoning. I hold all accountable for their actions. Just as I have done with you.
Waco 1909

Humble, TX

#26644 Nov 4, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>She copied and pasted that entire post.
So do you agree it was good to keep women from teaching men in biblical times?
I would love to hear the logic behind this blind belief.
Were the women all stupid back then? Tell us, please, what was the beauty of that misogyny?
I said it was a beautiful post from a beautiful person.I'm almost certain that that is all that I said.Mike.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26645 Nov 4, 2012
Waco 1909 wrote:
<quoted text> GOD created all things.including spiders and cancer.
So he created your mental illness, hurricane Sandy, Spinal meningitis, AIDS, the black plague, Katrina, and the Tsunami's, by this reasoning. Yet you love this being for causing even though he caused all this suffering?

It is as if their is no god at all.

Do you have any evidence for your absolute claim?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#26646 Nov 4, 2012
Waco 1909 wrote:
Divert when you have no argument.
I am waiting for someone to tell me why it was good to keep women from teaching men in biblical times.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#26647 Nov 4, 2012
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Allen, you have shared your story of a family member with disabilities, Arnold also has and I, too, have a brother with disabilities. I have no time for ANYONE that is so pathetic that stooping to pick on persons with disabilities is fair game. My gosh, 4 and 5 year old children know that's unacceptable, so clearly we're with dealing with a man with the maturation and intelligence of a 3 year old. If only this person and notice I don't call him a man because he's not a man to me, could only understand how much love people with disabilities can bring to a family. Unlike him, they don't judge, they don't make fun, they somehow manage to love even people as underserving as him. Truly they have a greater insight into what matters and what doesn't than those of us without disabilities.
Emlu, for years I blamed God for my brohters condition. I prayed over him daily, that God would allow him to speak or just be able to get up and take a step and he never did. Shortly after his death he began to come to me in dreams but he was just as normal as you and I. That's when I realized that God had afterall answered my prayers. I consider myself blessed to have had him as part of my life only if it was for a short while! Guess God needed him more!

“Arch Nemisis of Democrats”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#26648 Nov 4, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
He who makes the claim has the onus of proof.
Sure, you first. Prove there isn't a God. And not with a question answering a question either Miley.

When you can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that several million people are under some sort of delusional idea of blind faith in a God that doesn't exsist, I will provide all relevant documentation you need for FEMA replacing homes after Katrina.

Good luck Miley. No pressure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 year old goes missing at Shamrock Gardens Ele... 3 hr MaryOfConcern 6
Missing child at Shamrock Garden Elementary School 16 hr Debbie 20
Why are Southerners rude in action, but pretend... (Jan '13) Mon North Carolina 233
Buh Bye All You IBM Employees (Oct '10) Mon Tammy 250
Luther and luvnut Celebrate Supreme Court Decision (Jun '13) Sep 14 luvnuts wife Luther 4
luvnut can be a boyscout now (Jun '13) Sep 14 luvnuts wife Luther 3
Carnitas at Lupita Tortilleria y Carniceria, Ch... (Apr '10) Sep 14 miguel 9
•••
•••

Charlotte Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Charlotte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE