Sick of NY state

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

I am considering moving to Charlotte for better job opportunity and to be closer to family who live there. Yes, I am an Upstate NYer who is tired of the long depressing winters, and poor economy.
I have been to charlotte several times to visit family and like the area. Am i making a big mistake, or is there some good to come of this? I am not an arrogant ny city type who doesnt like the south or any of the other insulting comments i have read on this topix site. I am just looking for some feedback , no insults, just some good advice please. Not here to bash the south, or bash the people of Charlotte at all. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Hope to make charlotte my new home and have positive results....
Dont do it

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

Judged:

Hi,

It does matter if youre a nice NYer or not, the second southerners hear our accents or see that we look different it's all over. No jobs...people are horrific. most of my family either moved back north or back south. No nightlife...0 chances of dating. do not make the same mistake. Most city types are not as arrogant as you think and as far as not liking the south we really dont give it that much thought until we get here and treated like 2nd class citizens. Stay in NY! Trust me..try a different part or Conn. or PA.....but this place sucks!
Mandy

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

Judged:

That really isn't true. If you aren't finding jobs then you either aren't looking hard enough or you just aren't qualified for what you applied for. There is a nightlife scene in Charlotte, too. There are a number of great places: Butter, Mez, the Epicentre, etc. It may not be as large as what can be found in an area such as NYC, however, that should be assumed when moving to a smaller city from a larger one (just an example, not sure where you're wanting to transition from.) There are over 700,000 people in Charlotte city limits and over a million in the surrounding metro area so there are clearly plenty of dating opportunities. As for being treated differently: you find that anywhere you go. There is no particular place where stereotyping isn't rampant - except maybe in a hole. Now, I'm not from the north, however, I have traveled there many times and am fully aware of the opinions relating to northerners and southerners. I believe, for the most part (there are always exceptions), that as long as you treat the people you encounter with respect and dignity you will receive it in return.

Clearly, moving across the country is a big deal and you should undoubtedly do your due diligence. However, if you choose to move here I think that you will find Charlotte a great city. Certainly the best in the south! ;)
Dont do it

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

HAAA...not qualified...too funny...I AM OVER QUALIFIED in my industry..But when the economy tanked here and the housing market, my industry went down with it too.They hire people for a 1/3 of the money with 1/10 experience & a fraction of the education. You southerners are really dillusional if you think this is the best city in the South..look at all the teacher jobs that are going bye bye & the increasing amount of foreclosures here in Charlotte...drop the pride..this place sucks. i never realized there was hatred like this between the North & South & would never believe it if someone told me...DO NOT MOVE HERE...unless you want to be miserable for the rest of your life! I am in the process of selling my home and cannot wait to get out of here..

I have lived in places where the night life is the among some of the best places in the world..Vegas, Tampa, Orlando & NY. Your nightlife here is a joke. Dating is a Joke too!..You listed like 4 places. they all suck..what attitudes here and so judgemental..BTW,I treat people with the utmost respect & most of the southerners certainly didnt return the favor.
Mandy

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Judged:

The issues you're spouting off may not even be relevant to whomever asked the question. He/she said they wanted to move here for a better job opportunity (which means they already have a job) and to be closer to family. Night life isn't equally important to everyone. Just because you're stuck up and can't enjoy yourself at Charlotte bars and clubs doesn't mean that thousands of others can't and don't for that matter.

I know plenty of people that have moved here from NY and other northern states that have NEVER complained about southern attitudes. These are accomplished, intelligent and experienced people, too. I really think this has more to do with YOUR attitude and demeanor than that of the entire south.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Judged:

hey dont do it. charlotte is no good. theres tension between north.. south.. which is nonsense but whatever. there is noo jobs .. no night life too!... theres but fast food chains... schooling is horrorable... you have to drive miles to get somewhere .... everything closes by 10 or 11......reconsider the idea!! its a HUDGE change..
Dont do it

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Judged:

Stuck up...now thats funny! I have never had problems in Atlanta, Vegas, Tampa & of course beautiful NY! Even stayed in Cali for a few months..Its the Charlotterians that are stuck up for no reason....meaning you have nothing to be stuck up about. You guys crack me up. We dont treat people like this up north. Sick of NY check out City-data on their forums..make sure its worth it to you..grass is not always greener on the other side & sometimes the grass is crab grass covered it moose piss & hick feces (here in Charlotte). Best of luck.
McLovin the southern

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Judged:

Charlotte is like any where else, you get out of it what you put in. If you have a bad attitude, you get treated poorly. This is true no matter where you live. I am from the Herkimer area, & I love it here. I find people kind,& personable. More so than anywhere else I've lived, & I've lived all over the country. The night life is sufficient. It's no N.Y.C or Miami, but it's good. You said you've visited before, so go with how you felt about the place, not how others do.
McLovin the southern

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

p.s.
If you are really from the Herkimer, N.Y. area, as I am... Charlotte is definitely a better place, unless you like the cold & snow.
Mandy

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Judged:

"...moose piss & hick feces..." I was wondering when the southern stereotypes would come out. First of all, I really don't think there are moose in North Carolina - especially in the warm Charlotte climate. You must have been at the zoo. Secondly, your poor attitude toward the south exhibited by these stereotypical insults is quite hypocritical of a quote removed from your most recent post, "...we don't treat people like this up north..." Great example of this statement, really. Clearly, anyone reading this thread should highly regard your opinions as they are undoubtedly unbiased and worth great consideration.

Thank you "McLovin the southern." I agree with you completely. As I said earlier, your own due diligence is critical when choosing to move to a completely new area.
Dont do it

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Judged:

You are right moose are not here...they are too smart to come. Maybe, If you wouldnt have commented with the "stuck up" comment then I would not have brought hicks into it. Hey at least I didnt bring up any stupid redneck comments..thats beneath me.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

you have a new york fugitive that just moved there BRAD LAMICA he ran out on his child and has a warrant driving tan siverado with orange new york tags...charlotte/salisbury area seems to be good place to hide,
Lifezip

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Sick of NY state

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2011

McLovin the southern wrote:
p.s.
If you are really from the Herkimer, N.Y. area, as I am... Charlotte is definitely a better place, unless you like the cold & snow.
I live in a town just east of Herkimer...but work in Herkimer. I'm not interested in the night life etc, as i am happily married. As far as jobs...there are over 200 jobs in my field of work. I already have intervievs lined up the last week in April. I appreciate your comments, and all that have commented. I will see what becomes of my interviews, but i definately see some opportunity. My current town only has 2500 people, and understand it is a big change from upstate rural NY. I have been arounfd the world in the Navy, and have seen alot.... so hopefully the area will be all that i make it. Being from Herkimer area, you must know the area has been and still is not good economically ?
PLAN B

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2011

Just make sure you have a plan b if things do not work out. I don't mean to be rude but pleassse rent before you buy & make sure it's what your spouse really wants. It is very hard for northerners here to be accepted. If you are planning on having children look into the whole CMS meltdown.Just looking out for a nice person. Wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2011

Judged:

I moved here from Long Island with no job prospects. I got a job my second day here. But, I have a PhD and write software for a living. My skills are in demand.

Come on down bro! Welcome to Charlotte! Just be careful; Southerners are typically disingenuous, les motivated, and extremely threatened by Northerners. But, don't let that stop you. You have every right to be here if you want.
PLAN B

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2011

I Hate Syracuse wrote:
I moved here from Long Island with no job prospects. I got a job my second day here. But, I have a PhD and write software for a living. My skills are in demand.
Come on down bro! Welcome to Charlotte! Just be careful; Southerners are typically disingenuous, les motivated, and extremely threatened by Northerners. But, don't let that stop you. You have every right to be here if you want.
Perfectly said!

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2011

Judged:

Also, if you can, avoid CMS schools. Union county schools are held in higher esteem with the UNC system. The larger employers down here are Wells Fargo, Duke Energy, Ross Distribution, Target Distribution, Lowes Distribution, Home Depot, and Black & Decker. If you have a degree in engineering, accounting, management, law, finance, you should do fine. If you work with your hands, you are screwed! Southerners hire their own, unless you really know how to BS (in other words, denounce the North), eat grits, fried food, and date fat chicks. By the way, BBQ to the people down here is shredded (pulled) pork.

Good Luck!
Lifezip

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2011

Sick of NY state wrote:
<quoted text> I live in a town just east of Herkimer...but work in Herkimer. I'm not interested in the night life etc, as i am happily married. As far as jobs...there are over 200 jobs in my field of work. I already have intervievs lined up the last week in April. I appreciate your comments, and all that have commented. I will see what becomes of my interviews, but i definately see some opportunity. My current town only has 2500 people, and understand it is a big change from upstate rural NY. I have been arounfd the world in the Navy, and have seen alot.... so hopefully the area will be all that i make it. Being from Herkimer area, you must know the area has been and still is not good economically ?
What kind of work do you do?

Do you have a college degree, and if so, from which college?

Even if you went to an idiot school like Buff State or Fredonia, you will seem like a genius to the NC hicks

I went to UB, and these hicks stand in awe of me as if I went to Harvard or MIT
Sick of NY state

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2011

I am a licensed Mechanical contractor. HVAC, refrigeration etc. Electrician in the military as well....Seems to be plenty of work. Guess we will see .. Everyone has a/c and heat right....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of156
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Charlotte Forum right now

Search the Charlotte Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr Waco 1909 49,426
black on black crime (Sep '13) 12 hr thetiming 11
Cruising Charlotte late 60's Early 70's (Mar '13) 15 hr David Alan 2
Saving Money on Ebay School, work & Christmas (Jul '13) 23 hr yes 4
NAACP pickets at Roses store, protests GOP poli... Thu James Jeffers 39
LIEF COACH busted (Feb '13) Wed Buff Aloe 27
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) Wed southener 4,785
•••
•••
•••
Charlotte Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Charlotte Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Charlotte People Search