|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like they are both getting charged!.......
This takes us right back to the Brock Franklin case. Here we have another "wrong way" crash on I485.

How many murderers and attempted murderers are driving the Charlotte highway system? And they always seem to end up on I 485!
Certainly there was/is no possible defense for Brock Franklin. Just ask crack legal eagle George Laughrun.
Mr Bill

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

Both drivers had been drinking? http://www.charlotteobserver.com/104/story/26...

Just like Richard "Cornbread" Bryant, who was the other driver involved with Brock Franklin.

Yup, no possible defense for Brock Franklin.
Mr Bill

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen the bottle of liquor sitting on top of the vehicle that wrecked. I guess that bottle stood straight up on the roof itself.......
What are they going to do with I-485? What is this "seven" wrong way wrecks since Y2006?
Yup, no defense for Brock Franklin. I mean I certainly cant think of a single defense under the circumstances.

Hell, there is a field of options given the facts. Take your pick.
Welcome

Faith, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

Out of the 7 accidents, how many of them involved alcohol and you will have your answer. No drinking = obey the traffic laws. These people that are going the wrong way had alcohol in their system.
Mr Bill

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

Welcome wrote:
Out of the 7 accidents, how many of them involved alcohol and you will have your answer. No drinking = obey the traffic laws. These people that are going the wrong way had alcohol in their system.
I think you could estimate that there are alot of drunk drivers on the roads at any given moment. But they only seem to go the wrong way on I-485.
Welcome

Faith, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

485 can be confusing bc its a circle and i see how the east and west ways get mixed up, its traveled often by many,....... But c'mon, you should know, sign or no sign, if you are driving the wrong way on the interstate. But you wouldnt realize this if you were under the influence of alcohol. Just my opinion. Ive never had a probelm on 485... maybe bc i am sober!??!?!?
Mr Bill

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right about that. I just like the way they mess with evidence to get their pictures into the media. Should you tamper with any evidence. That bottle could have been from days or weeks ago. Instead they sit the bottle on top of the car at the scene of the accident. With people tampering with evidence before they find the truth is unreal in Charlotte. They just make the truth what they want whether it's a lie or not.....
I guess I'm stupid but I tend to think there is a problem with I-485 that causes the "alcohol" using drivers to go in the wrong direction.
How much would it cost to fix? Let's have another alcohol related fatality of I-485.

In the meantime let Brock Franklin go. He obviously fits this category of a drunk driver mistakenly heading the wrong way on I-485.

How many more drunks will collide on I-485?

I wonder what Goodenow and Laughrun think everytime there's another head on collision on I-485? They must cross their fingers hoping nobody remembers that fake murder case of theirs of a teenage kid. They used him as a cause celeb to promote their fake morals.

Now's the time to let the kid out of prison and have some engineers fix whatever problem is fooling these drunk drivers.
Welcome

Faith, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2008

Are you saying we should cater to the drunk drivers, "and make driving easier"? We could avoid alocohol related fatality all together by not drinking and driving. And if punishment was harsher on those that drink and drive, maybe there wouldnt be so many repeat offenders with DUI's. I agree that it can be confusing, but only to a altered mind. I just cant believe with "WRONG WAY" signs staring at you, you can still go the wrong way? I dont know, just babbling, i just dont understand....
Mr Bill

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2008

Welcome wrote:
Are you saying we should cater to the drunk drivers, "and make driving easier"? We could avoid alocohol related fatality all together by not drinking and driving. And if punishment was harsher on those that drink and drive, maybe there wouldnt be so many repeat offenders with DUI's. I agree that it can be confusing, but only to a altered mind. I just cant believe with "WRONG WAY" signs staring at you, you can still go the wrong way? I dont know, just babbling, i just dont understand....
I think there has to be some problem with I-485. The problem is reflected with drunk drivers. Their capacity is diminished by alcohol and as a result they are the drivers making the fatal blunders. If you were sober and found yourself driving the wrong way you would likely "right" your mistake before you hit another car. Impaired drivers are not aware they have entered the highway going in the wrong direction. They drive until they're stopped by highway patrol or they hit head on with another car.

I am not looking to get drunk drivers off the hook but if there is something the engineers can do to reduce the number of wrong way wrecks then by all means they should do it. Drunk drivers included.
Allison

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

I had found 485 confusing on certain exits and thought I was going the wrong way and being the other exit is side by side was going to jump there to that one that would be going the wrong way. My problem was on one of them where the sign was placed that said wrong way cause as I turned on to the exit the sign loomed right up and I almost panicked.

The sign was just too close to my exit road cause soon as I made that exit turn then the sign looms up in your face. Being under the influence may have made me pull a bolder move and jump lanes and end up going the wrong way.

So I have to agree being sober you may have panic but your able to think your way out of the situation but I would imagine you cannot if your under the influence. Now I am used to the signs and exits so it don't bother me like it used too.
No problemo

Faith, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

I have never had a problem on 485. I do have problems with roads that dont have painted white or yellow lines. If they have those, I can drive fine. As you should be able to as well, if you went to driving school and they taught you that. I dont think anyone has a fight about 485, simply bc everyone that I know of that has "gotten confused" was not in a sober state of mind. I dont understand why this is so confusing. PAY ATTENTION WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING AND YOU WONT GO THE WRONG WAY!
Spagett

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

I bet this was ACORN's fault.
pfffff

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Wrong way driver causes crash on I-485
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV)- A wrong-way driver caused an accident on I-485 in South Charlotte early Wednesday morning.
According to the North Carolina Highway Patrol, April Wallace drove the wrong way for about eight miles between the exits for South Tryon and I-77.
Wallace hit an Oldsmobile driven by Darrell Tarleton of Gastonia. His passenger, Angela Scott, was injured and airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center. She is listed in critical condition.
Wallace and Tarleton also suffered minor injuries and were taken to CMC.
The highway patrol administered blood alcohol tests to both Wallace and Tarleton. The blood tests have been sent to the state lab for analysis.
Wallace and Tarleton were cited with DWI. Additional charges are pending against Wallace.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/9217843/wrong-way-d...
pfffff

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Wrong way driver causes crash on I-485
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV)- A wrong-way driver caused an accident on I-485 in South Charlotte early Wednesday morning.
According to the North Carolina Highway Patrol, April Wallace drove the wrong way for about eight miles between the exits for South Tryon and I-77.
Wallace hit an Oldsmobile driven by Darrell Tarleton of Gastonia. His passenger, Angela Scott, was injured and airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center. She is listed in critical condition.
Wallace and Tarleton also suffered minor injuries and were taken to CMC.
The highway patrol administered blood alcohol tests to both Wallace and Tarleton. The blood tests have been sent to the state lab for analysis.
Wallace and Tarleton were cited with DWI. Additional charges are pending against Wallace.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/9217843/wrong-way-d...
pfffff

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Charlotte, NC -- The North Carolina State Highway Patrol said a driver going the wrong way on Interstate 485 in Charlotte Friday morning triggered a three-car accident that left one man dead. Troopers say the accident happened around 12:40 am on the outer belt near the Rocky River Road exit. They say a man driving a Ford Expedition was headed northbound in the southbound lanes and collided with two southbound cars. The Expedition burst into flames, and authorities say both of the cars hit by the Expedition appeared to be total losses. A man driving one of the cars hit by the Expedition was killed in the accident. Two others were injured and hospitalized.
pfffff

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

auses wrong-way crash on I-485 in Pineville

Mecklenburg County, North Carolina January 14, 2012
A motorist crossed into oncoming traffic on a Charlotte freeway on Saturday, contributing to a collision.
According to the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department, an unidentified vehicle merged onto the westbound side of Interstate 485 heading east. Around 3:55 a.m., the wrong-way vehicle approached Park Road in the Pineville area and collided with a second vehicle.
One of the vehicles involved was a white, four-door sedan. The second vehicle was red.
No injury information has been released. Police shut down the roadway until after 5 a.m. while they investigated the crash and cleared debris.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, speeding vehicles contribute to 93 fatal traffic accidents every day.
pfffff

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

No major injuries after wrong-way driver spurs I-485 head-on wreck
By: News 14 Carolina Web Staff

CHARLOTTE Police say a woman driving the wrong way on Interstate 485 early Saturday morning crashed head-on with a minivan.
The accident happened around 4 a.m. on the I-485 inner loop near Johnston Road. Both drivers were taken to the hospital but neither was seriously hurt.
There's no word yet on charges.
Updated: 6:54 a.m. Tuesday, June 10, 2008 | Posted: 11:22 p.m. Monday, June 9, 2008
pfffff

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Wrong-Way Driver Crashes On I-485 Near East Charlotte
EASTERN MECKLENBURG CO., NC
A driver going the wrong way on I-485 crashed head-on late Monday night into two other vehicles, state troopers said.
The highway patrol shut down the outer loop of I-485 at the Albemarle Road exit near the Mint Hill town limits at about 11:15 p.m.
Troopers told Eyewitness News Glen Cronic was driving a tan SUV that hit a silver car with a mother and two 1-year-old children inside. The collision knocked a wheel off the SUV, but it kept going and smashed into a Jeep.
Three adults and two children were taken to the hospital.
James Robinson said the wrong-way driver swerved and barely missed him.
"[I] kind of looked behind us, and there were cars swerving all over, in the median, and all over the place trying to get out of the way," Robinson said.
Authorities said Cronic now faces several charges, including DWI and reckless driving. There is no word on the identities or conditions of those involved in the crash. Officials said Cronic was in fair condition Tuesday morning at Carolinas Medical Center.
The crash was the latest in a string of wrong-way crashes stretching over several years on Charlotte's beltway.
Some of those accidents were deadly.
pfffff

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

NC viber killed by wrong way highway driver
by joatmon Mon May 21, 2007 9:06 am
http://www.charlotte.com/break....html
Wrong-way wreck kills 2 on I-485
Man drove around police barricade

Authorities tried to stop a wrong-way driver on Interstate 485 early Sunday, but the 20-year-old man drove around their barricade, traveled several more miles and then crashed into another car.
Both he and the other driver died. A passenger in the car that was hit remained hospitalized in critical condition Sunday.
The wreck was the third deadly wrong-way collision within the past two years on I-485. Last year state officials studied how to stop such deadly crashes after seven deaths in the region. The report did not pinpoint practical or affordable solutions.
In this latest case, authorities received a 911 call at 3:10 a.m. that a car was headed the wrong way on I-485 in south Charlotte, according to Observer news partner WCNC-TV. Demario Keonta Perry of Charlotte was going east in the westbound lanes.
Two Pineville police officers spotted the 1986 Chevrolet Impala as it passed Park Road Extension, according to WCNC, and were able to block the highway and stop Perry.
But before the officers could get out of their cars, N.C. Highway Patrol Sgt. F.J. Hargro Jr. said, the driver wheeled onto the grassy shoulder and drove around them.
The Pineville officers couldn't follow him in the wrong lanes, Hargro said, so they headed east in the proper lanes. They flashed their blue lights, he said, in hopes of alerting westbound drivers.
They also contacted Matthews police, warning them that the wrong-way car was headed toward their town.
Two Matthews officers got into position where I-485 crosses Weddington and Pleasant Plains roads, said Matthews police Cpl. K.A. Greene.
She said they planned to throw down "stop sticks" that puncture tires if the wrong-way car approached. They also hoped to stop any westbound vehicles before they could get close.
"Unfortunately there was a motorist between us and them," Greene said.
A 2005 Pontiac Vibe heading west tried to swerve out of the way of the oncoming car, Trooper Derrick Freeman said.
But the two cars collided at 3:22 a.m., about half a mile west of the Providence Road exit -- and before Perry had reached the Matthews officers.
The Pineville officers saw the crash happen, Hargro said, and all of it was recorded on their patrol car cameras.
"I'm sure they felt rather defenseless," Hargro said.
Both Perry and the driver of the Vibe died at the scene. Authorities had not released his name Sunday.
The passenger in the Vibe, Cassandra Marie Lawrence, 20, was rushed to Carolinas Medical Center with broken legs and head injuries, Freeman said. The Charlotte resident remained in critical condition as of 11:20 p.m.
None wore their seat belts, Hargro said.
Investigators are awaiting toxicology reports from Perry's autopsy. They are also reconstructing the crash to determine how fast he was driving.
It's not clear where Perry got onto the wrong lanes of the highway -- or why he wouldn't stop, Hargro said.
Perry's family lives near where I-485 and Interstate 77 meet in southwest Charlotte. A woman who answered the phone at the home said the family was not ready to comment.
An August 2006 report found that only 162 of 100,000 freeway crashes between 2000 and 2005 in North Carolina were wrong-way collisions. Forty-four people were killed, but the relatively small number of crashes made it difficult for state officials to find patterns and solutions.
Meanwhile, Hargro said drivers staring down an oncoming vehicle have few options because of the short amount of time they have to react.
"We've got to stop it before even getting to that point," he said. "You've got to think a little broader and solve the core problem."
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/13354245/detail.ht...
pfffff

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485
It never really bothered me and I rarely notice it. Then again I was born and raised here.
Those of us who are extremely familiar with Charlotte (but have lived elsewhere) are very bothered by Charlotte's darkness. There is a myth that "larger equals better lighting". I can tell you from personal experience that smaller cities such as Charleston WV and Roanoke VA are both lit up like Christmas trees at night. IMO, Charlotte should be ashamed at itself. Well, I take that back. The State of North Carolina should be ashamed of itself for letting its largest city go without proper lighting on State funded freeways. I personally don't care about lighting during long straight freeway stretches, but we shouldn't have to do a major eye-squint just to see where our on-ramps lead to. The wrong-way accidents on I-485 IMO are the result of people who simply couldn't see properly due to extremely dark freeway entrances (that and a little alcohol too).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/1242...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Charlotte Forum right now

Search the Charlotte Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr State of Florida 49,535
dwight powell (Jan '12) 2 hr nc transplant ny 63
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) 5 hr nc transplant ny 4,791
black on black crime (Sep '13) Sat thetiming 11
Cruising Charlotte late 60's Early 70's (Mar '13) Sat David Alan 2
Saving Money on Ebay School, work & Christmas (Jul '13) Fri yes 4
NAACP pickets at Roses store, protests GOP poli... Apr 17 James Jeffers 39
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlotte Jobs

•••
•••
•••