what happened to the Depot?

Posted in the Charlotte Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bummerman

Gastonia, NC

#1 Jan 3, 2014
What the heck happened to the train depot and the shops in there? All of a sudden the place is empty and the trains are blocked off. We loved that place. Anyone know what the story is there?
Michelle, where are you my love?
realdeal

Gastonia, NC

#2 Jan 4, 2014
the depot is still there but the shop is closed cause they sold the building and moved the people renting space there up to Piccolo. Same thing they did with Second Fiddle when they sold that building. Michelle says she's putting the ice cream shop into Piccolo and adding a coffee shop and candy store to it. Sounds like a good concept, just not sure if theres all that much room at Piccolo. That place is huge, but its packed. The trains and the depot building look pretty bleak right now and thats sad. Nothing but busted windows in the trains and glass all over the place and another empty building on Main Street. Way too many empty shops on Main and thats not a good sign.
purtyclur

Gastonia, NC

#3 Jan 4, 2014
Downtown Belmont is a joke. Who would have ever thought Mount Holly would be better? It is! Much homier place, better business climate, more family friendly. Belmont is ruined. I hope it can pull out someday.
morningjoe

Gastonia, NC

#4 Jan 4, 2014
Belmont is really hurting. Main St is a joke now. Starting to look like it did 6 years ago. Mt Holly is definitely looking better than Belmont. The Catawba mall and Piccolo are two of the only decent places left in Belmont besides String Bean and a boutique. From where Second Fiddle used to be, down to Sammy's is nothing but empty buildings. Kimbrell's is still empty, Second Fiddle is still empty, Spy Tech is a joke, Soda Shop out of business, a boring insurance agency and a florist thats never open, and a bar is all that makes up that part of Main St. The depot is empty and the trains are an eyesore and the general store is nothing but a big green donkey. Its depressing down there.
sorrytosay

Gastonia, NC

#5 Jan 4, 2014
morningjoe wrote:
Belmont is really hurting. Main St is a joke now. Starting to look like it did 6 years ago. Mt Holly is definitely looking better than Belmont. The Catawba mall and Piccolo are two of the only decent places left in Belmont besides String Bean and a boutique. From where Second Fiddle used to be, down to Sammy's is nothing but empty buildings. Kimbrell's is still empty, Second Fiddle is still empty, Spy Tech is a joke, Soda Shop out of business, a boring insurance agency and a florist thats never open, and a bar is all that makes up that part of Main St. The depot is empty and the trains are an eyesore and the general store is nothing but a big green donkey. Its depressing down there.
Im sorry to say that I agree. The places Rich sold are doing nothing for Main St now. The train depot was one of the best places in downtown for people to go to. Im glad that kids can't mess with the trains anymore, but they sure look bad with all of the damage done to them and now people cant or wont go there to take pictures with the way it looks down there. Has anyone noticed the horrible graffitti on the side of the general store ? Its horrible and whoever did it should rot in jail.It says "Rick SUX and "die bitches". What a welcoming way for people to be greeted by our fair city. That whole corner looks like a bad part of Gastonia and all it needs now is a couple of bail bondsmen and some metal framed windows to make it look like the hood.
Real Estate Guy

Gastonia, NC

#6 Jan 4, 2014
sorrytosay wrote:
<quoted text>Im sorry to say that I agree. The places Rich sold are doing nothing for Main St now. The train depot was one of the best places in downtown for people to go to. Im glad that kids can't mess with the trains anymore, but they sure look bad with all of the damage done to them and now people cant or wont go there to take pictures with the way it looks down there. Has anyone noticed the horrible graffitti on the side of the general store ? Its horrible and whoever did it should rot in jail.It says "Rick SUX and "die bitches". What a welcoming way for people to be greeted by our fair city. That whole corner looks like a bad part of Gastonia and all it needs now is a couple of bail bondsmen and some metal framed windows to make it look like the hood.
Downtown Belmont is going through a revaluation. Except for the Old Stone property and Piccolo , Rich overpaid or over developed every piece of real estate he bought in downtown Belmont. The railroad cars are a liability and the sooner they're gone the better. Downtown Belmont will be just fine once these parcels adjust to their true value.
purtyclur

Gastonia, NC

#7 Jan 5, 2014
That family and booze ruined our town. So sad.
Real Estate Guy

Gastonia, NC

#8 Jan 5, 2014
purtyclur wrote:
That family and booze ruined our town. So sad.
If it weren't for restaurants that serve "booze", downtown would truly be dead.
purtyclur

Gastonia, NC

#9 Jan 6, 2014
Real Estate Guy wrote:
<quoted text>If it weren't for restaurants that serve "booze", downtown would truly be dead.
I disagree. If that's all that is keeping it afloat - let it die ( but it won't). It served a LONG time without it...and it could again. The downtown mess has NOTHING for the people of this town.
justcurious

Gastonia, NC

#10 Jan 8, 2014
purtyclur wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. If that's all that is keeping it afloat - let it die ( but it won't). It served a LONG time without it...and it could again. The downtown mess has NOTHING for the people of this town.
Im just curious,'purtyclur'- just what exactly have YOU done for downtown Belmont? What exactly does downtown OWE you? What exactly have YOU contributed to the growth and development of Belmont? What exactly have YOU done to ensure the safety of the kids and familys mulling around the trains, amid the broken glass and dangers that have resulted from vandalism and bored kids looking to have fun at others expense? What exactly have YOU done to change anything? How much money have YOU spent in an effort to 'offer' something to 'the people of Belmont". You are just one of thousands of people in this town and every other town, that blows hard about what everyone else should be doing, yet YOU DO NOTHING yourself. Your job is easy - just keep whining and whining, yet you DO NOTHING. How about throwing out and idea or two, or throwing in a couple of your own dollars toward what you think would help our dying town. People like you are a dime a dozen. Big mouthed, small minded, lazy and more than likely, part of the problem - NEVER part of the solution. I hope I offended you, as that was my intention. The truth hurts
Real Estate Guy

Gastonia, NC

#11 Jan 8, 2014
purtyclur wrote:
<quoted text>
You are flat wrong. Your anti-alcohol emotion colors your logic.
eddieb

Gastonia, NC

#12 Jan 8, 2014
Real Estate Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Downtown Belmont is going through a revaluation. Except for the Old Stone property and Piccolo , Rich overpaid or over developed every piece of real estate he bought in downtown Belmont. The railroad cars are a liability and the sooner they're gone the better. Downtown Belmont will be just fine once these parcels adjust to their true value.
Revaluation? Boy I'll say. Looks to me like its going to be a long revaluation and a very expensive waiting period. LaVecchia may have overpaid for his properties but he was smart enough to sell them when he did. And the sales of his buildings have dictated what the market will bare for other sellers. Piccolo will never be for sale and is now probably the most valuable piece of commercial property on Main. The General Store and Belk building will never sell at those prices which is good for Glenway Pub and Happy Dog. But the general store remains a mystery to everyone as far as how and why they even stay open, and what exactly their business plan is. Must be a huge tax write off and being between two very empty buidlings does not help. I heard that the trains are being shipped up north by LaVecchia since he doesnt want the liability anymore. Sadly enough, nobody cared about preserving their value as a big asset to downtown just by the amount of visitors they brought here. Visitors spend money, and money means tax dollars and tax dollars are good. Belmont will take a big hit when they go . Oh well, I guess as they say, the wheel is always turning.
purtyclur

Gastonia, NC

#13 Jan 8, 2014
justcurious wrote:
<quoted text>Im just curious,'purtyclur'- just what exactly have YOU done for downtown Belmont? What exactly does downtown OWE you? What exactly have YOU contributed to the growth and development of Belmont? What exactly have YOU done to ensure the safety of the kids and familys mulling around the trains, amid the broken glass and dangers that have resulted from vandalism and bored kids looking to have fun at others expense? What exactly have YOU done to change anything? How much money have YOU spent in an effort to 'offer' something to 'the people of Belmont". You are just one of thousands of people in this town and every other town, that blows hard about what everyone else should be doing, yet YOU DO NOTHING yourself. Your job is easy - just keep whining and whining, yet you DO NOTHING. How about throwing out and idea or two, or throwing in a couple of your own dollars toward what you think would help our dying town. People like you are a dime a dozen. Big mouthed, small minded, lazy and more than likely, part of the problem - NEVER part of the solution. I hope I offended you, as that was my intention. The truth hurts
1. You did not offend me because we do not know each other. I couldn't care less what you say or think.
2. I'm not stupid enough to try to answer a rude and ignorant person. You assumed an awful lot...and you know what they say about the word " assume" ;)
3. You are angry - get help.
purtyclur

Gastonia, NC

#14 Jan 8, 2014
P.S. you cannot sustain the economy of a town like Belmont on visitor's tax revenue. This is why downtown is failing. When you snub the people here who pay the REAL TAXES, you shoot yourself in the foot.
copythat

Gastonia, NC

#15 Jan 8, 2014
purtyclur wrote:
<quoted text>
1. You did not offend me because we do not know each other. I couldn't care less what you say or think.
2. I'm not stupid enough to try to answer a rude and ignorant person. You assumed an awful lot...and you know what they say about the word " assume" ;)
3. You are angry - get help.
I dunno but it sounds to me like you lost that argument and you surely do care about he thinks and says or you wouldnt have responded, and you were stupid enough to answer his comments. Not too smart. Just saying
RE guy

Belmont, NC

#16 Jan 8, 2014
eddieb wrote:
<quoted text>Revaluation? Piccolo will never be for sale and is now probably the most valuable piece of commercial property blah blah blah.
Never? Probably? Who are you? Piccolo will definitely be for sale some day and it is definitely worth less than the Bank of Belmont building or the Belk building. Justify your comments with facts.
cantwait

Gastonia, NC

#17 Jan 15, 2014
I seen them doing the building at the Piccolo for the ice cream place. Its on the side where the big window is and it looks pretty big. And it looks like the're selling part of the parking lot up there too. Looks like they are moving everything to up there and are going to parcel off spaces in the parking lot for other businesses. Will be good for that side of downtown. Still wish they would start on the restaurant at the old second fiddle and not leave the traind station empty that long.
Real Estate Guy

Gastonia, NC

#18 Jan 16, 2014
bummerman wrote:
What the heck happened to the train depot and the shops in there? All of a sudden the place is empty and the trains are blocked off. We loved that place. Anyone know what the story is there?
Michelle, where are you my love?
The building was sold to Stephen T. Pepitone for $420,000. and the deed was recorded on January 3, 2014. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Pepitone's plans are for the property.
Guido

Gastonia, NC

#19 Jan 16, 2014
Real Estate Guy wrote:
<quoted text>The building was sold to Stephen T. Pepitone for $420,000. and the deed was recorded on January 3, 2014. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Pepitone's plans are for the property.
Somebody will be made an offer they can't refuse... ya know what I mean? Watch ya step in Beermont.
Whatever

Lowell, NC

#20 Jan 16, 2014
Real Estate Guy wrote:
<quoted text>The building was sold to Stephen T. Pepitone for $420,000. and the deed was recorded on January 3, 2014. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Pepitone's plans are for the property.
You are not very involved...that person already owns a business in Belmont currently!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Con Artist arrives in Charlotte 7 hr Angel at night 10
Homeless women from Charlotte. 7 hr Angel at night 7
Attn Birth parents -Sign up with NY state to gi... 8 hr joan 1
EOS Spa on Eastway Mon South 5
What the hell is wrong with blacks in charlotte? Jul 22 ThomasA 7
Who smokes in charlotte Jul 22 Angie 1
Is pastor AMY Lambert in rehab? Jul 22 Angel at night 2

Charlotte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance