Mount Holly, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2013

Judged:

In case someone else new moves to Mt. Holly and hears what sounds like an air raid siren. If you think they might be sirens for a nuclear disaster, you're correct. The last one I heard was a couple of months ago and it was not on a normally scheduled test day. That caused me to be alarmed so I went inside to access the Duke Energy website -- it was suffering technical difficulty and "could not be found". That caused me to put my family on alert and I called the fire department ... who might have found some humor in my reaction and said I will get used those kinds of tests.

I wrote Duke Energy and said they probably should not perform a siren test on days when their website isn't working. Today, they sent me a very nice planning and information book for 2014. If there were an actual emergency, Mt. Holly folks will be welcomed at South Point High, North Gaston High, and Ashbrook High. There is also a contingency plan that says Potassium Iodide should be taken if directed by public health officials and it says the County Health Department will supply those within 10 miles of a reactor for no cost to the requester. I think a few of those pills in my 3-day disaster kit might be a good idea.
Einstein

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2013

Judged:

Scott L wrote:
In case someone else new moves to Mt. Holly and hears what sounds like an air raid siren. If you think they might be sirens for a nuclear disaster, you're correct. The last one I heard was a couple of months ago and it was not on a normally scheduled test day. That caused me to be alarmed so I went inside to access the Duke Energy website -- it was suffering technical difficulty and "could not be found". That caused me to put my family on alert and I called the fire department ... who might have found some humor in my reaction and said I will get used those kinds of tests.
I wrote Duke Energy and said they probably should not perform a siren test on days when their website isn't working. Today, they sent me a very nice planning and information book for 2014. If there were an actual emergency, Mt. Holly folks will be welcomed at South Point High, North Gaston High, and Ashbrook High. There is also a contingency plan that says Potassium Iodide should be taken if directed by public health officials and it says the County Health Department will supply those within 10 miles of a reactor for no cost to the requester. I think a few of those pills in my 3-day disaster kit might be a good idea.
What color is the sky in your world?
Reed s

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Hi , thank you for that information ! I live close by in the town of Ranlo and I often wondered why I was hearing sirens and if I should be scared! I never heard them in Gastonia but I hear them often in Ranlo.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Charlotte Forum right now

Search the Charlotte Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr TSF 49,343
NAACP pickets at Roses store, protests GOP poli... 19 hr James Jeffers 39
LIEF COACH busted (Feb '13) Wed Buff Aloe 27
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) Wed southener 4,785
Loan shark needed (Jul '09) Wed nyc2nc 10
Saints are those who are set apart (Mar '08) Wed Past present future 5
Visiting Charlotte... recommendations? Apr 15 nyc2nc 17
•••
•••
•••
Charlotte Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Charlotte Jobs

•••