Suspect in hit-and-run was found at work

Full story: Charlotte.com

The man charged in a fatal hit-and-run over the weekend worked at the same Cornelius restaurant the victim had been walking home from when he was struck.
Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Oct 5, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Vicky

Albemarle, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2007

There should definately be sidewalks and increased lighting in that area.
Patti

Blacksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2007

Yet another repeat drunk driving offender kills an innocent person. A young man's life has ended and this jerk faces "up to" 19 years in jail?! How about LIFE in jail since he murdered this young man?! When will the "justice" system get these killers off the roads, before they kill someone?! Stop letting them off with a slap on the hand!!

Maybe the victims' families who lose a loved one due to these repeat offenders need to start making these errant judges accountable for their hand-slapping sentences - protests, publicity and even lawsuits. Wake up America!
Cat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2007

This guy Petrone has no idea what he's done to an entire town of people that grew up with the victim. Never again will his 2 brothers take a group picture with him. Never again will his parents be able to tell him how proud they are of all that he's done. Never again will his friends share another memory with him. Even if he did get the full 19 years in jail (which he won't, because people like Petrone always seem to catch a break) it won't be enough and he will forever be thought of with disgust and hatred...myself included.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2007

In response to vicky's post that "there should definately be sidewalks and increased lighting in that area?" First of all, are you serious? Was Patrone driving with his headlight's off? I drive at night all the time and I know when to stop if there is a a living thing in or near the road. This is because I don't speed down a street just yards from a bar after drinking all night. Second of all, does the lighting or sidewalk problem account for the hit-and-run felony offense? This man was DRUNK. He has done it before, and when our flawed judicial system releases him from prison, he will be back on the roads driving drunk again. And he will kill again. Put him away for life.
Karen

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2007

Indeed Petrone has no idea how he has devastated a family and a community - hundreds and hundreds of people. Patrick Gay's life was senselessly taken by a repeat drunk driver. Pat and his friends had the sense and responsibility to not drink and drive. For Pat to be killed by a drunk driver is uncomprehendable and unacceptable! The judge who resides over Petrone's case must give him life in prison.
somebody

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2007

Karen wrote:
Indeed Petrone has no idea how he has devastated a family and a community - hundreds and hundreds of people. Patrick Gay's life was senselessly taken by a repeat drunk driver. Pat and his friends had the sense and responsibility to not drink and drive. For Pat to be killed by a drunk driver is uncomprehendable and unacceptable! The judge who resides over Petrone's case must give him life in prison.
I have no idea who petrone is , there are people everywhere driving under the influence of something. not just drunk driving. and i wouldn't doubt that some of you have done the same. Let the people judge how many years. 19 is a long time.
When you say they should get life, in prison, and then look in the mirror , oh sh## I've done the same thing. Or you must be perfect.

Before you judge others, judge thy self. If you think you are perfect then , your ego can let you say give somebody life. It's not yours anyway is it.?
Karen

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2007

Michael Petrone is the drunk driver who killed a thriving, smart, educated, caring, loving and productive member of society. A son, a brother, a grandson, nephew and beloved friend. Petrone did not even know he struck and killed a human being and proceeded to drive home with a smashed windshield and try to sleep off his drunken stupor. This was his 3rd DUI offense. I believe I can judge whomever I want. None of us are perfect, but most of us have more sense than he did.
Joe McClure

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2007

In response to "Somebody"s comment. I grew up with the Gay family. I've known Patrick, Eric and Chris since I was a baby. Who the hell are you to say that 19 years is a long time? Pat barely got to live that long before this asshole came along. And no...not everyone is as much of a dumbass as you or Petrone. Pat was being the smart, responsible person in this case and he paid the ultimate price for Petrone's ignorance and deserves to spend the rest of his days in prison and as far away from alcohol and vehicles as possible..........and maybe you should too.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2007

I knew Michael Petrone for a short period of time while he lived elsewhere in North Carolina. I can personally attest that he was an obnoxious, arrogant and selfish asshole at the time. I am so greatly saddened that he destroyed the life of Patrick Gay.

My opinion, Petrone deserves life in prison. He has skirted his responsibilities for years and now that he has greatly devestated the family and friends of Patrick it is his time to pay.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2007

I knew Michael Petrone for a short period of time while he lived elsewhere in North Carolina. I can personally attest that he was an obnoxious, arrogant and selfish asshole at the time. I am so greatly saddened that he destroyed the life of Patrick Gay.

My opinion, Petrone deserves life in prison. He has skirted his responsibilities for years and now that he has greatly devestated the family and friends of Patrick it is his time to pay.
Mister Sir

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2007

Well apparently my initial posting was deemed inappropriate the first time around but I will reiterate my initial posting in stating that I knew/know Michael Petrone and while I knew him only a few years ago, he was an obnoxious and arrogant person who skirted responsibility for his actions during his numerous run-ins with the law at that time.
In my opinion he deserves life in prison for his actions. I have the deepest sympathy for the friends and family of Patrick Gay.
Some UnRanger

Cornelius, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2007

God's Great Concious Please Give us Wisdom !
WhatExactlyHappened some guess he pulled across road or veered off on same side?
Concerned

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2007

I know Mr. Petrone, and feel he should have the book thrown at him. He is an arrogant, self-centered jerk who thinks he's above the law. This is apparent due to the fact that he has had previous DUI's and had his license revoked, and yet he thought he could still drive. Drunk.

I hope that he owns up to what he has done and begins on the slow road to recovery. In prison, where he belongs.
JRN

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2008

I went to college with Pat and he was one of my best friends, I got to know him and his family very well over the past 5 years. I miss him everday and just recentley celebrated his birthday with his friends and family in Warrenton at the first anual Patrick Ryan Gay Golf Turnament. This has been one of the hardest things I have ever delt with, and I have no idea how the Gay's have been so strong through it all. I have no idea what Petrone deserves, but I do know Pat did not deserve this. I miss my friend. I love you Pat and one day we will see each other again.
1234 def

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2008

somebody wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea who petrone is , there are people everywhere driving under the influence of something. not just drunk driving. and i wouldn't doubt that some of you have done the same. Let the people judge how many years. 19 is a long time.
When you say they should get life, in prison, and then look in the mirror , oh sh## I've done the same thing. Or you must be perfect.
Before you judge others, judge thy self. If you think you are perfect then , your ego can let you say give somebody life. It's not yours anyway is it.?
You must be related to someone that's in jail for 2nd degree murder related to a DUI. It's pretty damn easy...don't operate a 3,000 pound object that can move up to 100 mph while you are intoxicated. Sure a lot of people do it...that doesn't mean that when people get caught that we should be easy on them..."ah let's be easy...cause everybody does it."

Somebody you are a moron.
Mr Bill

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2008

1234 def wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be related to someone that's in jail for 2nd degree murder related to a DUI. It's pretty damn easy...don't operate a 3,000 pound object that can move up to 100 mph while you are intoxicated. Sure a lot of people do it...that doesn't mean that when people get caught that we should be easy on them..."ah let's be easy...cause everybody does it."
Somebody you are a moron.
So let me see, this guy is related to someone in jail for 2nd degree murder, and 2nd degree murder is related to someone called DUI?

Man that's a tongue twister of a story.

I bet you could take that argument to a jury and win hands down everytime. Death row would be over flowing with convicted murderers.
A friend from Warrenton

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Well, Michael Petrone gets 5 1/2 months in jail. The Gay Family gets a life time of heartbreak. Patrick did not deserve this and neither did his family. I hope when Petrone looked at the family today in court and saw the pain and hurt in their faces, he will remember that for the rest of his life. And the next time he takes a drink and gets into a car I hope he will see Pat's face! Maybe a life will be saved!

Since: Sep 07

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Karen wrote:
Michael Petrone is the drunk driver who killed a thriving, smart, educated, caring, loving and productive member of society. A son, a brother, a grandson, nephew and beloved friend. Petrone did not even know he struck and killed a human being and proceeded to drive home with a smashed windshield and try to sleep off his drunken stupor. This was his 3rd DUI offense. I believe I can judge whomever I want. None of us are perfect, but most of us have more sense than he did.
I agree with you on this one. While I do understand what he was saying about judging, this was not a case where the guy accidentally got into a situation with a few too many. He was so drunk that he apparently didn't even realize he hit someone, breaking his windshield? Sorry, but that does not qualify for sympathy.
A friend from Warrenton

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
This guy only rec'd 5 l/2 months in jail?
I thought he was facing 19 years! Where can I go to read this?
You can go to "google" type in michael petrone hit and run case, click on "man pleads guilty".
Mr Bill

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

It turns out this wasn't the first time Petrone was arrested on drunken driving charges. Since 2003, he's been accused of driving while impaired twice in Davie County, and he was arrested on drunken driving charges six months ago in Forsyth County.

Petrone has also been booked on drug charges three times and driving with a revoked license four times -- never spending more than 30 days in jail.

Now, Petrone is facing charges of second degree murder and driving while impaired for the wreck that killed a 22-year-old just starting life after college.

Since his arrest, Petrone is no longer an employee at Midtown Sundries. He scheduled to make his first appearance in court Tuesday afternoon.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Charlotte Forum right now

Search the Charlotte Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 7 min Delinger 55,826
The Fed is dumpig illegals in different states. 2 hr Bob Rooney 1
Do you think women with hairy armpits are ok (Jan '09) 3 hr Jack 530
Leaders: I-77 expanding with toll lanes will ha... (May '11) 4 hr elsie 2
Why are Southerners rude in action, but pretend... (Jan '13) 22 hr I Hate Syracuse 227
Belmont poised to extend bike trails at Rocky B... Tue JLo 2
Dog food and meds Jul 22 bulldog 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlotte Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Charlotte People Search