Roman Polanski's a free man

Full story: Daily Breeze 40
In this is Jan. 15, 2009 file photo, film director Roman Polanski looks on in Montrouge, France. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sally Sandoval

United States

#24 Jul 12, 2010
Many believe that when California legalized abortions for 13 year old girls w/o any parental advise or consent if sent a clear message that our children no longer matter to us.

The Swiss feel that if Californians no longer feel that 13 yr old girls require parental/societal protection that Polanski should go free.
el redondo

Elmira, NY

#25 Jul 12, 2010
The Swiss banked the Nazi gold taken out of the Holocaust victims' teeth. Surprised that they didn't turn over Polanski?
Sue Lowe

United States

#26 Jul 12, 2010
What a demeaning insult to United States and Obama!
The Swiss sure have a low opinion of him to thumb their noses at us this way.
wise

Schenectady, NY

#27 Jul 12, 2010
CharlesP wrote:
<quoted text>
EVERYONE KNOWS that Polanski was NEVER GIVEN A FINAL SENTENCE!
PROOF: Both CBS and NBC nightly news reported (the day Polanski was told to report for psych exam) that AFTER the psych exam, Polanski was to report to court on another date for SENTENCING!
THe court DOES NOT ASSIGN A LATER COURT DATE, with both the prosecutor AND the defense, if the final sentence has been given! That is SIMPLE LOGIC!
Swiss nation is Perverted; my relations were from this land...I am ashashed they bowed to jewish/perv/money interests...it always comes around..watch for the Arabs
wise

Schenectady, NY

#28 Jul 12, 2010
BiLL wrote:
He pleaded GUILTY...isn't that reason enough for extradition? this was not alleged, this pervert said he did IT. I'm starting me Swiss boycot today...Nestle's is at the top of my list...
SWISS= perversion
Torrance

Torrance, CA

#29 Jul 12, 2010
el redondo wrote:
The Swiss banked the Nazi gold taken out of the Holocaust victims' teeth. Surprised that they didn't turn over Polanski?
Maybe they figure he has gold fillings and they are waiting it out.
Corrupt-O-Crats

Santa Fe Springs, CA

#30 Jul 12, 2010
Proof that if one does the crime he or she doesn't have to do the time ...

This is another example of rules being different for the common folk ...
el redondo

United States

#31 Jul 12, 2010
Sue Lowe wrote:
What a demeaning insult to United States and Obama!
The Swiss sure have a low opinion of him to thumb their noses at us this way.
Obama ("Washington") didn't turn over documents because Hollyweird loves him and he loved them back.
Freebird

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#32 Jul 12, 2010
Good for the swiss! A happy day for justice! Roman Polanski is a national hero in France and this is good for him! Enough is enough.
Laughable

Glendale, CA

#33 Jul 12, 2010
CharlesP wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, and the world DOES HATE THE USA!
From 1970-1991, I stopped 3 Soviet invasions in to Western Europe. And all of Europe PRETEND that this NEVER OCCURRED!
I stopped 5 Soviet invasions of the USA, and the world pretends that the Soviets were sweet and innocent!
I stopped 2 nuclear attacks on the USA by India, and the world PRETENDS that this never happened.
THe US government has done all it can to cover up all of the crimes of foriegn nations, and yet the world is still unhappy!
Wow, you did all of that all by yourself, very impressive! Now, can you stop yourself from posting rant after rant with the wildly placed capital letters? You seem like you're on the verge of going postal.
Laughable

Glendale, CA

#34 Jul 12, 2010
pdee wrote:
Who cares about this case now. It's money and time wasted when there are plenty of child abuse cases to try right here in the U.S. If the Swedes decided not to extradite him, that's their decision. The U.S. does not control the world like they think they do. Please don't cry about justice since the U.S. has plenty of experience in injustice that we rather not remember. Those who are without guilt throw the first stone.
Who cares, everyone should. Not one single child abuse case should go unpunished! Pull your head out! Meanwhile, plenty of Hollywood celebruty idiots will continue to work with this child abuser because of his so-called brilliance in making movies. Amazing how Hollywood celebrities look the other way when one of their own does something horrible like this!
Toby

Portland, OR

#35 Jul 13, 2010
Since I originally read about the Polanski 1977 case decades ago I was confused then as to why a victim of a violent rape would request to the judge that her perpetrator not receive any prison time. If the state has the obligation of upholding the charges presented by the grand jury i.e in the least present it before a jury in a trial, just why would the district attorney, the judge and the supposed victim along with her attorney and Mother present a plea bargain that basically threw out five of the more serious charges against Polanski?

I also never quite understood why Samantha Geimer was allowed to return alone with Polanski for the second photo-shoot after the first photo -shoot was done topless. Why would her attorney Lawrence Silver arranged a plea-bargain that would eliminate the more serious charges if indeed Polanski was guilty of those charges and can't people clearly see that when that was done the ability to really impose any lengthy sentence was also eliminated over thirty years ago, let alone the doubt it created in the severity of the charges that were originally presented?

When judge Rittenband recommended a mock trial with a predetermined sentence that is when the case went straight to the trash can, Polanski even if sentenced to 5-7 years would have had ample evidence that his trial was a mockery of justice and could have immediately been released on appeal. Gunson the prosecutor even said himself at that point quote ,"I'm not surprised that [Polanski] left under those circumstances."

This case was decided thirty -three years ago by the actions of the district attorney, and the judge and the victim herself, you would think that people could have figured that out over three decades ago. I don't know if Polanski is guilty of the original charges, I wasn't there, but I do know that in the least he was guilty of statutory rape which he himself admitted to. However judge Rittenband turned the trial into a circus and the supposed victim and her Mother pleading for leniency for Polanski created such an atmosphere of doubt the case was basically nothing at that point but a dog and pony show
Seth Adams

United States

#36 Jul 13, 2010
Freebird wrote:
Good for the swiss! A happy day for justice! Roman Polanski is a national hero in France and this is good for him! Enough is enough.
If we don't enforce the laws against foreign colonists who are tearing our State to shreds why would be care about a man who drugged, sodomized, and raped a 13 year old girl? The Swiss were right to protect Roman from the like of us.

Since: Apr 10

Santa Ana, CA

#37 Jul 13, 2010
Seth Adams wrote:
<quoted text>
If we don't enforce the laws against foreign colonists who are tearing our State to shreds why would be care about a man who drugged, sodomized, and raped a 13 year old girl? The Swiss were right to protect Roman from the like of us.
Wow!!! You are advocating the Swiss protecting a dirt-bag like this??? What are you thinking. Who then will protect little girls from him now??? Guess you don't have a young daughter do you??? Obviously if you did, you would be singing a different tune!

Santa Ana, CA

#38 Jul 13, 2010
Freebird wrote:
But,,,,NOT a happy day for little girls! And if France is stupid enough to gloat over this dirt-bag, then what does that REALLY say about France. What the heck does it say about a country who supports and worships the likes of a guy who rapes little girls and then runs away to keep from being punished? Is this really your idea of a solid citizen??? You are obviously shameless.
Seth Adams

United States

#39 Jul 13, 2010
R-Smart wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!!! You are advocating the Swiss protecting a dirt-bag like this??? What are you thinking. Who then will protect little girls from him now??? Guess you don't have a young daughter do you??? Obviously if you did, you would be singing a different tune!
I'm merely reflecting the majority Democratic voters mentality in what remains of California.

Santa Ana, CA

#40 Jul 13, 2010
Seth Adams wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm merely reflecting the majority Democratic voters mentality in what remains of California.
Thinking it is one thing, but putting it into print is another leaving you open for serious criticism. But I do hear what you are saying!!
Local Yokel

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#41 Jul 13, 2010
It's not the Swiss that are to blame. Arrogant prck Steve Cooley, our illustrious District Attorney, decided that the evidence requested by the Swiss was not necessary for them to make their decision. They decided otherwise. Maybe Cooley was too worried that someone might be smoking marijuana to be bothered worrying about real criminals.
Sanity Now

United States

#42 Jul 13, 2010
Local Yokel wrote:
It's not the Swiss that are to blame. Arrogant prck Steve Cooley, our illustrious District Attorney, decided that the evidence requested by the Swiss was not necessary for them to make their decision. They decided otherwise. Maybe Cooley was too worried that someone might be smoking marijuana to be bothered worrying about real criminals.
Shame we don't have a Federal Government that believed in the rule of law. One telephone call to the Swiss and Polanski would have been on his way back to face the music.

This shows a great lack of respect for the law and a startling disinterest in sending a message of intolerance for sexual predators.
swiss

Saint Gallen, Switzerland

#43 Jul 14, 2010
Guys please understand the fact that the Americans did not turn in, just because they did not want to!!(ask yourself why...) a transcript the Swiss requested as it was necessary for the decision. Do not ask me why they did not turn it in but I am pretty sure it is pro Polanski. I am one of the few pro Americans but I am also Swiss and I trust our government more than any other government in this world (and not just me but probably the majority of our very free, direct democracy)
Anyways... please also try to read, watch some news abroad of the USA to get a more objective view of the case!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berne, Switzerland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What climate change? (Jun '13) Sep '14 gazan 76
Can couples really get stuck together during sex? (Feb '14) Feb '14 Inquisitive in Zu... 2
7 Fairytale Alpine Towns that You have to See t... (Nov '13) Nov '13 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
Statue of Liberty reopens amid federal shutdown (Oct '13) Oct '13 TedsLiver 1
"A Hollande presidency couldn't be any worse" (Apr '12) Jan '13 dunadd 80
Swiss economy unexpectedly grows in first quarter (Jun '12) Jun '12 neobyzantine 2
Swiss hold ex-SNC-Lavalin exec over fraud charges (May '12) May '12 Walter 2

Berne, Switzerland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:35 pm PST