Switzerland defying U.S. data order

Full story: TwinCities.com
Switzerland's government said Wednesday it would forbid the Swiss bank UBS AG from complying with any court-ordered transfer of data on tens of thousands of American clients to the U.S. government and would consider seizing documents to prevent that. Full Story
Danno

United States

#1 Jul 9, 2009
So a Miami court judge and the Justice Dept under Obama thinks they have jurisdiction over the country of Switzerland? This whole thing looks like a witch hunt - wait till the some of the 52,000 turn out to be major Obama contributors and/or current and former senators and representatives.

If I were the Swiss I would turn over some key names/data specific to DFL members and see what happens after that.
John T

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jul 9, 2009
If the bank defies our order, what will we do to them?

JTY

Since: Sep 08

Lincoln, NE

#3 Jul 9, 2009
Danno wrote:
So a Miami court judge and the Justice Dept under Obama thinks they have jurisdiction over the country of Switzerland? This whole thing looks like a witch hunt - wait till the some of the 52,000 turn out to be major Obama contributors and/or current and former senators and representatives.
If I were the Swiss I would turn over some key names/data specific to DFL members and see what happens after that.
The do not have jurisdiction over Switzerland, but they do have jurisdiction over a Swiss bank that conducts buisness in the US.

The Swiss do not want to lose their status as the world's criminal banking system. A haven for crooks, cheats, despots, and other unsavory types.

I bet my bottom dollar that Peters, Hecker, and Maddof all have Swiss acounts with millions of dollars hidden away.

“To love and be loved”

Since: Jun 08

right here, right now...

#4 Aug 1, 2009
Happy Birthday, 1st of August Switzerland! Long live Switzerland!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berne, Switzerland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What climate change? (Jun '13) Sep '14 gazan 76
Can couples really get stuck together during sex? (Feb '14) Feb '14 Inquisitive in Zu... 2
7 Fairytale Alpine Towns that You have to See t... (Nov '13) Nov '13 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
Statue of Liberty reopens amid federal shutdown (Oct '13) Oct '13 TedsLiver 1
"A Hollande presidency couldn't be any worse" (Apr '12) Jan '13 dunadd 80
Swiss economy unexpectedly grows in first quarter (Jun '12) Jun '12 neobyzantine 2
Swiss hold ex-SNC-Lavalin exec over fraud charges (May '12) May '12 Walter 2
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:28 am PST