Film director Roman Polanski staying in Swiss prison

Full story: LA Daily News 8
Roman Polanski lost his first bid to win his freedom Tuesday as the Swiss Justice Ministry rejected an appeal by the 76-year-old to be immediately released from prison, an official said. Full Story
Tired_of _it _ in_ LA

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Oct 6, 2009
I applaud the Swiss for holding this piece of human trash and not letting him go free. Polanski fled instead of staying and facing his sentence. He is now the same person that he was then. He has never attempted to own up to what he has done. He is a nothing more then a convicted sex offender.
wow

United States

#2 Oct 6, 2009
It's his turn to see what it feels like to have a d**k up his ass. 13 please!
Tired commuter

Redlands, CA

#3 Oct 6, 2009
Finally, the Swiss can see through Polanski's "creativity" and treat him with equality! We can only hope if he comes back to the United States he will receive what he deserved 30 years ago, agreed to, and then ran off like the rat he is.
rick lanning

Springfield, MO

#4 Oct 16, 2009
why was roman polanski jailed in the first place? according to the girl he had sex with, no crime was committed. if there was not a victim, why does the so-called justice system insist there is a culprit? cannot we have a civil law that takes everything into consideration and that includes whether the 'victim' wishes to prosecute? let this talented, tormented man ALONE! it is the u.s. justice system that is to blame for insisting there be a criminal for every cause, regardless of whether a harm was inflicted. no wonder so many people do not trust police, authority or the justice system to do the right thing.
cody

New Baltimore, MI

#5 Oct 17, 2009
----------
FROM THE GIRL --
"Frankly, the phone is quiet for years, and then when something happens to Polanski, her and my phones ring," Silver said. "If we could get the matter resolved, then people would pay attention to other things and not pay attention to this matter."
Geimer said her mother had given Polanski permission to photograph her for a fashion magazine. She said she drank champagne that Polanski gave her during the photo shoot but became uncomfortable when he asked her to lie down in a dark bedroom.
"I said 'no.' I didn't fight him off," she said. "I said, like,'No, no. I don't want to go in there. No, I don't want to do this. No,' and then I didn't know what else to do. We were alone, and I didn't know what else would happen if I made a scene. So I was just scared, and after giving some resistance, I figured well, I guess I'll get to come home after this."
She didn't tell her mother what happened, only her boyfriend. Her sister overheard that telephone conversation and told her mother, who called police, she said.
Polanski was charged with rape and five other felonies in 1977 after being accused of having sex with Geimer at the home of Jack Nicholson while the actor was away. Polanski pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, for which he was to be sentenced to time served.
But, Silver said, the judge reneged on the deal, saying he was under a lot of pressure and was worried that Polanski might leave the country.
""Geimer said she was caught in a merciless legal machine and was forced to tell the details to police and then to a grand jury.""
"""I didn't want to do that. I didn't want to talk to anyone or tell anyone. I just felt forced to continually tell this story," she said. "I was so angry about it. It was like -- wasn't what happened bad enough, now we got to go through every single day of my life.""""
The trauma of the legal process persuaded Silver and the girl's family to seek the plea agreement, the attorney said.
The director, who became a French citizen before the charges, fled the United States before being sentenced, and then moved to Paris. He has lived as a fugitive since 1978.
"The case remains a matter between the court and Mr. Polanski," said Sandi Gibbons, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles district attorney's office. "Until he surrenders, he remains a fugitive."
Indeterminate California sentencing laws at the time mean Polanski, 69, could face anywhere from one to 50 years in prison, according to the Los Angeles district attorney's office.
Geimer said she'd like to see the matter resolved.
"I got over it a long time ago," she said. "I wasn't prepared to carry a lot of bad feelings with me and further damage my life and continue the trauma of it."
She said the publicity and resulting distaste for the business of show business ended her aspirations of becoming an actress.
----------
Well, sounds like she was a "victim". She didn't want to do it.
She didn't fight him off - good.
She was drinking and he gave her pills. She was a scared 13 year old child.
""" bad feelings with me and further damage my life and continue the trauma of it."""
Sounds like it DID effect her to me. So, she says she's over it now ?? Ok. She wasn't then and she's lived with and will live with this for the rest of her life.
Just telling the story and being in the public light has effected her.
Polanski did have some terrible things happen to him in his life. It doesn't give him an excuse. That night he had already planned to have sex with her way before she ever got there. If it were my kid I'd have shot him.
cody

New Baltimore, MI

#6 Oct 17, 2009
Victim -- yes !!

""Geimer said she was caught in a merciless legal machine and was forced to tell the details to police and then to a grand jury.""
"""I didn't want to do that. I didn't want to talk to anyone or tell anyone. I just felt forced to continually tell this story," she said. "I was so angry about it. It was like -- wasn't what happened bad enough, now we got to go through every single day of my life.""""
The trauma of the legal process persuaded Silver and the girl's family to seek the plea agreement, the attorney said.
Gisi

Zurich, Switzerland

#8 Oct 20, 2009
Polanski has a nice house in Switzerland, he was all time a wellcome guest and he payed taxes. For the filmfestival he even was invited, the goverenement payed a part of his ticket to have him here. At that occasion, they arrest him for a bad thing, he made 31 years ago. This man is 76 years old and I must ask, is Switzerland now the police of the world or does Switzerland think, they have to do a faver to USA after the UBS-story? And where is the human thinking? To arrest somebody after all this time, no!
Wow

United States

#9 Oct 20, 2009
Gisi wrote:
Polanski has a nice house in Switzerland, he was all time a wellcome guest and he payed taxes. For the filmfestival he even was invited, the goverenement payed a part of his ticket to have him here. At that occasion, they arrest him for a bad thing, he made 31 years ago. This man is 76 years old and I must ask, is Switzerland now the police of the world or does Switzerland think, they have to do a faver to USA after the UBS-story? And where is the human thinking? To arrest somebody after all this time, no!
So it's about money. So if you have money and pay your taxes it's OK. I guess then it would be OK if it was your kid wright money and fame free get out of jail card. well if he wasn't so old he would be getting what he gave. He needs to do the wright thing and kill himself. 13 give me a brake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berne, Switzerland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What climate change? (Jun '13) Sep '14 gazan 76
Can couples really get stuck together during sex? (Feb '14) Feb '14 Inquisitive in Zu... 2
7 Fairytale Alpine Towns that You have to See t... (Nov '13) Nov '13 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
Statue of Liberty reopens amid federal shutdown (Oct '13) Oct '13 TedsLiver 1
"A Hollande presidency couldn't be any worse" (Apr '12) Jan '13 dunadd 80
Swiss economy unexpectedly grows in first quarter (Jun '12) Jun '12 neobyzantine 2
Swiss hold ex-SNC-Lavalin exec over fraud charges (May '12) May '12 Walter 2

Berne, Switzerland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE