3 Americans share Nobel physics prize

3 Americans share Nobel physics prize

There are 2 comments on the Examiner.com story from Oct 6, 2009, titled 3 Americans share Nobel physics prize. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

George E. Smith, 79, receives a congratulatory telephone call at his home in Waretown, N.J., Tuesday, Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

Doris Gross

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Nov 1, 2009
Hey George...
An old member of the Barnegat Boating, Bailing and Boozing society says hello to you and congratulations. Janet #1 told me so many years ago that you were going to win the prize, so it comes as no suprise (well a little) that you got it!! Over the years I've often wondered whether you accomplished your dream of circumnavigating the globe. Knowing you, I should never have wondered. Again, congrats and rmember me to your kids.
John Andrews

North Arlington, NJ

#2 Dec 13, 2009
George E. Smith was my first department head at Bell Telephone Laboratories, as it was then known when I joined in 1966. Bill Boyle was my first director. Bell Labs was the highlight of my professional life. What a tragedy that the US government continually attacked this world class institution until it was nearly destroyed! As the late Bob Ryder once said: "The government cannot abide any organization that works."

George was a brilliant physicist and was well liked by everyone I knew.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Digital Cameras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reward offered in rash of burglaries (Sep '09) Nov 15 nairy 41
News 4K Panel Market size forecast to grow with 11% ... Sep '16 Snowbump 1
News Sony says to sell battery business to Murata Ma... Aug '16 Ainu 2
Convert mp4 to swf with mp4 to flash converter (May '12) Nov '14 mipauller 3
PDF to PowerPoint Converter Mac - Convert PDF t... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Wheatley 1
News 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $250 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Fjallraven 1
News UPDATED: Three men charged following dawn raids... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Newstalk 1
More from around the web