Residents rush to buy, learn how to use hands-free cell phone d...

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

Like many of you, Greg Artman feels the clock ticking. The Las Crucen knows that on Feb.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jan 26, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Encouraging but

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Judged:

It is encouraging that so many seem to be taking the law seriously. On the other hand, studies have shown, that even with hands free devices, talking on the cell phone is distracting and as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. When you're talking on the phone, talk on the phone and, when you're driving, DRIVE.
leonard

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Judged:

Two hands on the wheel and still talking is still wrong. You also need your mind on the road.
Oblio

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Judged:

Civilization, in all forms, did just fine for thousands of years without cell phones. Like many other things in recent years, they are just another time and money wasting device that creates artificial urgency.

Along with other mini electronic devices, cell phones, possibly the most useless of those types of devices, have helped create an even bigger gap in our now non-communicating society.

Certainly at times they can be helpful in emergencies, but when I see 90% of the population walking down the street with their eyes cast down, as if they have no self-esteem, and poking tiny buttons with their fingers, it makes me sad and a bit angry.

Future evolution of humans will allow for smaller brains, and skinnier, more pointed fingers and thumbs, thus allowing for easier access to lunacy such as text messaging and Twitter.

Try putting your phone away...try walking straight up and greeting the people that walk by you. You might find Face LOOK more interesting than Facebook!

Since: Jan 09

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Oblio wrote:
Civilization, in all forms, did just fine for thousands of years without cell phones. Like many other things in recent years, they are just another time and money wasting device that creates artificial urgency.
Along with other mini electronic devices, cell phones, possibly the most useless of those types of devices, have helped create an even bigger gap in our now non-communicating society.
Certainly at times they can be helpful in emergencies, but when I see 90% of the population walking down the street with their eyes cast down, as if they have no self-esteem, and poking tiny buttons with their fingers, it makes me sad and a bit angry.
Future evolution of humans will allow for smaller brains, and skinnier, more pointed fingers and thumbs, thus allowing for easier access to lunacy such as text messaging and Twitter.
Try putting your phone away...try walking straight up and greeting the people that walk by you. You might find Face LOOK more interesting than Facebook!
Brilliant. I am saving this post to my hard drive.
Research shows

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Judged:

Research shows that hands-free is just as bad as a hands-on device. But most Americans are Sarah Palin-stupid and so they tend to automatically reject any reason- or experiment-based information.
Research shows

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Oblio wrote:
Civilization, in all forms, did just fine for thousands of years without cell phones....
However, a certain percentage of people, for thousands of years, have also found ways to become addicted, whether to alcohol, religion, heroin, food or cell phones. Natural selection will only operate to remove cell phone addicts if a) such use has a genetic component and 2) if cell phone addicts are more likely to die without reproducing and/or are more likely to kill off their offspring than are non-cell phone addicts.
LCNM

Sunland Park, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Judged:

"Research shows that hands-free is just as bad as a hands-on device. But most Americans are Sarah Palin-stupid and so they tend to automatically reject any reason- or experiment-based information"

Your Liberal research? You must be Obama-stupid!!
Encouraging but

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Hmmm. A Sun-News discussion based on reason and civility -- amazing. Then LCNM wakes up and decides to chime in. Oh well, too good to last.
Above 21

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Judged:

Dont waste your $$ on bluetooth-it sounds like your in a bucket and I will not be using one. I will continue to use my phone as usual and lower it when a cop comes around. F U Miyagashima
Aurelius

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Encouraging but wrote:
Hmmm. A Sun-News discussion based on reason and civility -- amazing. Then LCNM wakes up and decides to chime in. Oh well, too good to last.
And the Sarah Palin comment was sooo civil.....
lcnative

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Judged:

How nice for Terrence, I wish I could afford a car that sophisticated. I guess if taxpayers paid me as much money as we pay him, I could afford a car that nice. Too bad it can't assist him in determining when he's exceeding the posted speed limit.
Rocky II

Taos, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Oblio wrote:
Naws wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant. I am saving this post to my hard drive.
Wow! Naws was impressed by a positive, truthful post.
Oblio

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

I don't read Topix often, but thanks for the thoughtful responses. One might be able to tell that I am burned out on all of this kind of 'gotta have' stuff and a Luddite to boot..

If 'Naws' is impressed, I guess that must be a bonus, too, from the way it sounds. Thanks,'Naws'!

See you all at the pay phone stations!
NtT

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Wow, how progressive! Las Cruces is implementing its own economic stimulus plan...

...for the electronics manufacturers!
BLOOD ON HIS HANDS

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

The private sector would like
to thank the City Council
on making this a requirement -
sales are thru the roof - which means that the city will
rake in Sales taxes - then they will rake in cash from
the fine assessments.

You see it is all about the
money.
BLOOD ON HIS HANDS

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Too bad the car could not advise good old CM about the lack of judgement that his
actions over the last months have shown in regards to personal travel, use of
taxpayer dollars, policy statements and of course taking three day vacations on the
city with no charge to his vacation account. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
lcnative wrote:
How nice for Terrence, I wish I could afford a car that sophisticated. I guess if taxpayers paid me as much money as we pay him, I could afford a car that nice. Too bad it can't assist him in determining when he's exceeding the posted speed limit.
Crucen

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Oblio wrote:
Hmmmm, try putting your computer away and reading the paper the old fashion way, in print. Call or write the soundoff with your comments.
sarahpalin

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

WHAT the Hell does SARAH PALIN have to do with a cell phone ban!!!?? this forum is FOR IDIOTS... THAT is after i log OUT.... OUT idiots
Matt

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

I'm going to continue using my phone, I just tinted my windows this last weekend. Until the City Council bans driving while applying makeup or while shaving, eating and driving, reading and driving, etc.....; then i will continue to drive and talk. I agree, just like the red-light cameras, all the city council saw when they passed this law was dollar signs. Fortunately, I live out in Radium Springs, and I'd say only 10% of my travel miles are within the city limits. However, I have many friends within the city, and be advised city council, you've lost many many votes. Good thing most of you have other jobs, because you're gonna need them! Furthermore, I always see city vehicles with their drivers attached to a cell phone. In fact, about 2 weeks ago, i saw a city driver almost rear end someone because they were texting! Clean up your own house, then come clean ours!!!

Since: Dec 09

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

Nothing is perfect. For the safety, you need always keep your eyes on the road condition. It is stupid to think that hands free can will guarantee safer travelling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••