Nude photos of 12-year-old girl circulated via text message at ...

Full story: Fox 31 KDVR 311
Several middle school students could face expulsion after a nude picture of a 12-year-old girl was circulated via text message in an apparent "sexting" case. Full Story
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
maria antionette

Denver, CO

#1 Feb 4, 2010
I have recently taken away my kids phones, not because of this but I really did fear them doing this, now I don't have to worry about this.The phones are a big distraction and we should have given it better thought before getting them.
Not from Granby

Grand Lake, CO

#2 Feb 4, 2010
My kids are in sports, have jobs etc. so they have phones but they don't need to have text messaging and photo capabilities.

My girl keeps offering to pay for it herself, but that's not the issue. The issue is I don't need to see her constantly texting.
Shawn Bonfield

Tempe, AZ

#3 Feb 4, 2010
I'm 18 years old and did not get a phone until I was in high school. Kids under the age of 16 honestly don't need a cell phone. I say 16 cause thats the time kids start driving and emergencies are more likely to occur.

Parents need to teach their kids to plan stuff out. "I will pick you up at this place, at this time." It's not that hard. If something happens, they should be close enough to access home phone or a pay phone. Parents do need to think a little bit more when giving their children these types of freedoms.
MetroLawDawg

Denver, CO

#4 Feb 4, 2010
I have mixed feelings on this one. I agree that once a child starts driving or is involved in after school activities that a cell phone could prove to be a valuable tool. That being said, cell phones need to be monitored and micro-managed by the parent/guardian. The picture issue is disgusting but not necessarily shocking. I remember the hormones growing up and with the technology of today, it does not surprise me that this happens. I would lean more towards counseling my child and talking of the dangers of such behavior. Cell phone under 16..I say negative on that one. Not sure how I feel about charging a youth with distributing child porn but something has to be done. I agree with the comment about the child being interrogated without parental notification. A juvenile (minor) should always have the parent/guardian present when questioned for a crime. Bad situation and I feel for all involved.
ColoNative

Crawford, CO

#5 Feb 4, 2010
This is bullshit. The kids are in MIDDLE school. Does anyone here not remember the insane number of hormones hitting them during this time? I remember i could barely here my own thoughts from the constant buzzing of genetic imperatives. If these poor kids are charged as sex offenders, then there is no hope for the legal system of America.
Alex W

Aurora, CO

#9 Feb 5, 2010
OMG! i thought this was my school at first cuz my school name is "skyvista middle school" lol!
Martin C

Aurora, CO

#10 Feb 5, 2010
I have a young daughter and when she has her own job and can legally purchase her own contract with a cell phone provider, thats when she can get a cell phone. I am not buying one for her no matter how much she pleads and begs. I don't care how many of her friends have cell phones and how much they text message each other. If you need a cell phone to have a friendship, then I can't think of a better definition for shallow friendship. She can use our house phone, she can use the computer in the family room, she can use two soup cans and some string, I don't care how she talks to her friends, she is not doing it in a manner in which I don't have some level of control.

When I was in grade school, there were enough distractions to drive the teachers crazy and today teachers have to deal with texting and now photo messaging. As far as I am concerned, the problem is not with the children, its with the mass of stupid parents that buy their kids phones with all of these stupid capabilities. The excuse I hear all the time is "oh, the cell phone lets my child call me in an emergency". Well, if your child is in some emergency that they need to call you from their cell phone, then obviously you don't keep very good tabs on where your children are! If you child is in school, then the school will contact you in an emergency, if your child is at their friends house, then he or she can call from the friends house if there is a problem, if your child is at the mall, make sure they have change for a pay phone, if you child is the 1 in a million kid to be abducted by a child molester, then most likely your kid will be duct taped and stuffed in a trunk and the cell phone would be useless anyway. Come on, the overwhelming majority of parents give their children a cell phone so that they can be just like the other popular kids that have a phone too. If you say that you give them a phone for an added sense of security, then you are either a paranoid fool or just plain full of $hIt. Yea, your child needs a phone with a built in camera, unlimited text capability, unlimited long distance and a touch screen so that they can call you in an emergency. OK, some little 12 year old kid has a nude picture circulating around. You should be pissed off at the jacka$$ parents for not educating their kid keep his or her naked picture off of a fu**ing cell phone!

"Shawn Bonfield" - I completely agree with what you said. At age 18, you are smarter than 90% of the diIdos in this country that are trusted to raise children.

And "ColoNative", what does that mean to be a "Colorado Native"? Do you run around in the woods with deer skin shorts and homemade wooden spears? I don't get the whole "native" movement? It sounds a lot to me like the Nazi master race thing? I was born in Colorado, but my ancestry is European. I am plain American and sure as hell don't call myself "native"? Come to think of it, I know a lot of people and I don't know of anyone who calls themselves "native" just because they were born in Colorado? WTF?
John

Greeley, CO

#11 Feb 5, 2010
Why do middle school aged students need cell phones at school? After this incidence the school needs to come down hard on cell phones at school. Confiscate all cell phones and to get them back a parent must pick them up. Second time school keep them until the end of the school year. Third time student is expelled.
So you think

Denver, CO

#12 Feb 5, 2010
Fast45 wrote:
In Colorado Sluts start at a younger age.
I'm sure they start just as young in Miami, Fl Jerk!!! with you're help "PERVERT" as in Dateline "Predators" We probably seen you on TV
Gods girl

Denver, CO

#13 Feb 5, 2010
To add to that, Martin C, if people became "Americans" and dropped all the subgroups,
AFRICAN-american, ASIAN-american, etc, we would have the equality everyone complains that they don't have. I say you have to be an AMERICAN who descended from.....
Not from Granby

Grand Lake, CO

#14 Feb 5, 2010
Fast45 - Check out this link: http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/national-d...

The girls in your 3rd world state have more teen birth and pregnancies than Colorado.

I lived in S. Fla for 10 years and left before our kids started school because we didn't want to raise them in an illiterate, crime ridden, 3rd world atmosphere, such as Miami.

The best part of Miami was the Cuban food, if you could find a restaurant that wasn't crawling with cockroaches.

The worst thing about Colorado is the disgusting illegal population, but we're working on it.
So you think

Denver, CO

#16 Feb 5, 2010
Not from Granby wrote:
Fast45 - Check out this link: http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/national-d...
The girls in your 3rd world state have more teen birth and pregnancies than Colorado.
I lived in S. Fla for 10 years and left before our kids started school because we didn't want to raise them in an illiterate, crime ridden, 3rd world atmosphere, such as Miami.
The best part of Miami was the Cuban food, if you could find a restaurant that wasn't crawling with cockroaches.
The worst thing about Colorado is the disgusting illegal population, but we're working on it.
I was starting to agree with you on everything, but why do you have to be so NASTY about it? Is it because the way they got here, or because most of them are Latino? And you just don't like Latinos?
CubanoUno

Chesterfield, MO

#17 Feb 5, 2010
Not from Granby wrote:
Fast45 - Check out this link: http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/national-d...
The girls in your 3rd world state have more teen birth and pregnancies than Colorado.
I lived in S. Fla for 10 years and left before our kids started school because we didn't want to raise them in an illiterate, crime ridden, 3rd world atmosphere, such as Miami.
The best part of Miami was the Cuban food, if you could find a restaurant that wasn't crawling with cockroaches.
The worst thing about Colorado is the disgusting illegal population, but we're working on it.
To correct you .Fact Floridas schools are rated better than Colorados. Every state has its blight areas, yours is Aurora ie E.Colfax (Hooker and Meth Row)Disgusting Illegal Population ? That is not very Christian of you.Before living in South Florida,where did you live ? Do you have loyalty to a Home state.? I live in Coral Gables not Miami.However the Multi Cultures in Florida give it interest.The lack of etinicity in Colorado is quite apparent and mundane. If you have children as you state answer yourself this.How will my children handle associations with other races if they never were able to commingle with them. Before you throw stones and others look at yourself.Every place has its pros and cons.
hmmm

Aurora, CO

#18 Feb 5, 2010
ColoNative wrote:
This is ****. The kids are in MIDDLE school. Does anyone here not remember the insane number of hormones hitting them during this time? I remember i could barely here my own thoughts from the constant buzzing of genetic imperatives. If these poor kids are charged as sex offenders, then there is no hope for the legal system of America.
So, it's okay to act out your desires just because you're hormone raged? I don't think so. Wrong acts must have consequences. We are raising a generation of "entitled" children whether it's cell phones, ipods, or a slap on the wrist for the poor judgement of forwarding nude photos.
Not from Granby

Grand Lake, CO

#19 Feb 5, 2010
So you think wrote:
<quoted text> I was starting to agree with you on everything, but why do you have to be so NASTY about it? Is it because the way they got here, or because most of them are Latino? And you just don't like Latinos?
So You Think: I'm married to a Latino,(not a Mexi).

Illegals are bad, really bad. They have sucked the teat of America dry.

Don't lay the illegal problem on Latino's. It's the SOB's (South of the borderites) who are the problem.

My husband owns a business and on his web page he has a statement letting illegals know he's turned them over to ICE & the IRS before and won't hesitate to do it again.

Stating the illegals are the worst part of Colorado isn't NASTY it's FACT.
confused parent

Denver, CO

#20 Feb 5, 2010
How did these boys get the picture anyway??? She had to of given it to them, they shouldn't be charged, the girl needs to learn a lesson, 12 years old and is fast as hell! Charges should be goin to the parents od whom allowed a naked picture of a 12 year old girl to even be allowed on a phone, sounds wierd to me
Not from Granby

Grand Lake, CO

#21 Feb 5, 2010
CubanoUno wrote:
<quoted text>
To correct you .Fact Floridas schools are rated better than Colorados. Every state has its blight areas, yours is Aurora ie E.Colfax (Hooker and Meth Row)Disgusting Illegal Population ? That is not very Christian of you.Before living in South Florida,where did you live ? Do you have loyalty to a Home state.? I live in Coral Gables not Miami.However the Multi Cultures in Florida give it interest.The lack of etinicity in Colorado is quite apparent and mundane. If you have children as you state answer yourself this.How will my children handle associations with other races if they never were able to commingle with them. Before you throw stones and others look at yourself.Every place has its pros and cons.
Wrong Cubano - Colorado is 24th and Florida is 36th. http://www.alec.org/am/pdf/education/2008_rep...

There are more cross-ethnic crimes in Florida than in Colorado also.

For the record, I wouldn't live in Aurora either. It's called urban flight.

When I loved in Fla and worked for HUD, I had to have police escorts into most of the neighborhoods because of the crime against non-local elasticities.

The various cultures there clash constantly. You have self-segregation. In other words the Haitian blacks have their preferred neighborhoods, the Jamacian blacks had theirs, American blacks had theirs, Jews had theirs, Cubans had theirs etc.

This wasn't determined by whites, this is their own choice.

Florida is the 4th most violent crime state in the country, Colorado is 25th on the list: http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank21.htm...
Not from Granby

Grand Lake, CO

#22 Feb 5, 2010
Oops I mean when I LIVED in Fla, although I met my hubby and had kids there too, so I did LOVE there.
Not from Granby

Grand Lake, CO

#23 Feb 5, 2010
Oh crud, my new spell check has run amok. It's non-local ethnicity.

Since: Sep 07

Golden

#24 Feb 5, 2010
Lots of dissing on parents who let their kids have cell phones. Not all parents who get their kids phones are irresponsible, and neither are the kids. My son was in student gov't and sports and band from elementary on, and when he started taking the bus to middle school, we got him a phone. Strict rules of use, and the responsibility to not abuse it, in school and elsewhere, was his, as were the consequences. TRY to get ahold of your kid in high school in a large school, or on a bus- not happening. Pay phones? Where, these days? We always planned, but plans get changed. Came in really useful many times. Never had a problem. Neither did any of my friends' kids. Could he have lived without one? Sure, but why? I tend to think that this is less a problem with PHONES, and more a problem with discipline as a whole. Most kids handle them just fine. If you think your kid can't handle it, then don't get them one. But maybe you need to think about WHY they can't handle it- that is bound to be problem in other ways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cell Phones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Samsung Galaxy S5 Replica 3 hr arpan2070 6
Is this proof of Adware, Spyware, Malware, Troj... 10 hr Posted from my An... 1
Dirty Secret Affects Every Phone User Dec 26 One way or another 2
Niche Finder Mobile Review: Is Niche Finder Mob... (May '13) Dec 25 Sally 2
How To Restore A Nokia 1616-2 Cell Phone To Fac... Dec 23 NewYorkView 1
How To Hard Reset A BLU Advance 4.0 Smartphone Dec 23 NewYorkView 1
Murder suspect arrested, admits to four murders... Dec 21 meaningless 3
More from around the web