Indy race car driver Castroneves acqu...

Indy race car driver Castroneves acquitted of most charges in t...

There are 117 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 17, 2009, titled Indy race car driver Castroneves acquitted of most charges in t.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

In this Monday, March 2, 2009 file photo, Helio Castroneves, right, of Brazil, accompanied by his sister Katiucia, talks to reporters outside federal court in Miami.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Iffy

Xenia, OH

#82 Apr 18, 2009
Did he use the "Geitner" defense?
I say

Miami, FL

#83 Apr 18, 2009
Glad to see the I.R.S. lose, Govt. extortion should be outlawed.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#84 Apr 18, 2009
Stan Doffish wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who is dumb enough to 'drive' in Tony George's league of stupid flying crapwagons (or attend one of those outright frauds pretending to be races) gets zero sympathy from me when they get crippled or killed. I look forward to the day when one of those toilets finally flies into the stands and ends this stupid farce masquerading as motorsport permanently. I'd settle for Tony George slamming his helicopter into the pigoda instead though.

Shelio is a really good driver, talent completely wasted in those pathetic garbage scows. Then again, he's a jerk in real life, nothing like what you see on tv.
Don't really care about the 'precedent', the IRS conviction rate is well over 90% on these types of things, that won't change, Shelio had a very good attorney. Most people can't afford that kind of legal firepower.
:shrug:
Come on lurker...you know you really love those "crapwagons". You would make a wet spot in your trousers if you stood next to one of them and you know it. You're just bitter that your CCWS couldn't hang.
Stop living in the past. CCWS is dead.
Gadfly

Hialeah, FL

#85 Apr 18, 2009
Once again money buys freedom for the guilty. If there is anyone out there that doesn't think our justice system is for sale; I've got a bridge to sell you. Or, are the jury pools being selected from the least bright of the jury pool?
Local

Loxahatchee, FL

#86 Apr 18, 2009
Good lawyer=no jail, that simple. I expect he will have to pay back taxes, so it is not like he got away with it. What a wus too. I thought latin men were tough. What a cry baby this guy is.
Friend

Boca Raton, FL

#87 Apr 18, 2009
Well I guess if you are a senator, movie star or race car driver the same laws don't apply to you. But if you are the common man and have the same charges filed against you by the IRS you will server time in a federal prison, i.e. Earl R. Wolfe. Why is that? I thought our judical system was supposed to judge everyone equally - boy is that a joke! Mr. Wolfe's supposed "loss to the government" is no where near Wesly Snipes and Jose Castroneves. Why are they not serving any time?
The Truth Detector

Fort White, FL

#88 Apr 18, 2009
Friend wrote:
Well I guess if you are a senator, movie star or race car driver the same laws don't apply to you. But if you are the common man and have the same charges filed against you by the IRS you will server time in a federal prison, i.e. Earl R. Wolfe. Why is that? I thought our judical system was supposed to judge everyone equally - boy is that a joke! Mr. Wolfe's supposed "loss to the government" is no where near Wesly Snipes and Jose Castroneves. Why are they not serving any time?
You are really missing the basic reality. If you can afford to retain Roy Black, you get off. Even a cursory glance at notable court cases will high-light Leopold and Loeb They were very guilty of murder and were headed to a quick drop on the end of a strong, hemp rope. Enter, Clarence Darrow. His clients received long jail terms. One eventually was killed in jail and the other was released, many years later. The point being, Roy Black is the modern day Perry Mason. As each time has its own Darrow. I hope this gives some insight in your amazement of the un-level playing field of law. "Them that has, gets".
County

Miami, FL

#89 Apr 18, 2009
Don't forget the jury was deadlocked and the judge demanded a verdict. They should have called a mistrial.
The Truth Detector

Fort White, FL

#90 Apr 18, 2009
County wrote:
Don't forget the jury was deadlocked and the judge demanded a verdict. They should have called a mistrial.
"Spilt' milk". The Fat Lady sings, it's over. "Coulda', woulda', shoulda' and the moon is only green cheese. Reality sometimes bites. Hmmm?
The Truth Detector

Fort White, FL

#91 Apr 18, 2009
Ski...You are so right on. Stan Doffish has an agenda. The problem that he has with it, no one really cares. Penske knew from the moment of inception that CART was only a bluff. What he didn't count on was the major ace-in-the-hole that Tony George holds. Penske couldn't stay away from Indy for very long. The Indianapolis 500 Motor Speedway is a pretty big chip in the poker pot of auto racing. You think? That crowd of Grand Prix snobs is going to come to the same conclusion. Wait and see!
deport

Hallandale, FL

#92 Apr 18, 2009
They don,t call it a "green card" for nothing....the much desired green card for foreign nationals is a privelege not a right,,,and the bar on violations of the terms of the green card are strict....conspiracy to circument u.s. tax laws is a serious offense for a non-citizen...we need to set an example on this foreign national and prosecute,and deport him.....
The Truth Detector

Fort White, FL

#93 Apr 18, 2009
deport...Dreams are an illusion and you are dreaming. Helio is a star and his star is still rising. He has also chosen a profession where he puts his life on the line every time he gets into another race car. How dangerous is your life? How many chances have you taken to grab the brass ring? You want to "set an example"? Then set one for yourself and go out and make a few million, like he has.
obama is antiamerican

AOL

#94 Apr 18, 2009
You may have heard that while in Turkey last week, President Barack Obama stated that America is not a Christian nation.

This is at least the 2nd time that Barack Obama has made this very strong statement.

This week, Newsweek featured on its cover a story entitled “The Decline and Fall of Christian America.” The Newsweek article asserts that Christianity has less influence on our culture today than at any time in our nation’s history. We here at Focus on the Family Action believe that these assertions – especially that of the President – deserve a response.

Again, this assertion by the President that America is not a Christian nation – an assertion that no other President has made – must be addressed.
The Truth Detector

Fort White, FL

#95 Apr 18, 2009
obama is antiamerican wrote:
You may have heard that while in Turkey last week, President Barack Obama stated that America is not a Christian nation.
This is at least the 2nd time that Barack Obama has made this very strong statement.
This week, Newsweek featured on its cover a story entitled “The Decline and Fall of Christian America.” The Newsweek article asserts that Christianity has less influence on our culture today than at any time in our nation’s history. We here at Focus on the Family Action believe that these assertions – especially that of the President – deserve a response.
Again, this assertion by the President that America is not a Christian nation – an assertion that no other President has made – must be addressed.
You sure manage to put a new twist on a back-door agenda. A little confused with your Forum links, hmmm? Do you run out of the house each morning with a leash in your hand looking for an under-dog? Gee, if there isn't a lot of interest for your particular bone to pick, just put it in there anyway. That's what daddy did, right?
Stating the Obvious

Hilo, HI

#96 Apr 18, 2009
Geena wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen!!! Justice was NOT servered. No Habla Ingleis !
Moron-Brazilians speak Portuguese, not Spanish. Helio speaks English a lot better than you do.
The Truth Detector

Fort White, FL

#97 Apr 18, 2009
Tired of It wrote:
Of course he was acquited! Celebs never go to jail!
Gee, is that right? I guess someone needs to tell Phil Spector and O.J. Simpson. They didn't get your message. They are still in jail. Go figure!(by the way, "acquitted is spelled with two "t's", moron).
lily boca raton fl

Jonas Ridge, NC

#98 Apr 18, 2009
Dissident Ian wrote:
<quoted text>
What a stupid comment.
He was acquitted in accordance with US Law. You seem to be the one with little respect or understanding of the good Ol' USA and how we do things here.
He's a xeophobic fool who believes anyone who isn't a white redneck doesn't have the right to breathe. If they had it their way Miami would be filled with nursing homes and people in walkers. No night life, no young people. We may as well all be dead.
Jimmy J

United States

#99 Apr 18, 2009
Mike S wrote:
Learn English fool!
And pay your fair share of taxes that the American people provide for you by way of tickets, etc.
I'm sure he paid a hell of lot more than you over the years. The tax system sucks. We need a flat 15% so everyone pays the same. The wealthy get screwed as the top 10% pay about 85% of all the taxes.

It's the little guy that does not pay his fair share and complains about the wealthly because all they listen to are the lies provided by MSM.

Time to wake up fools. As the depression hits, can you trust the idiot politicians who got us here!
Jimmy J

United States

#100 Apr 18, 2009
Friend wrote:
Yeah and try to figure out paying state taxes. He has to pay in every state that he races in and earned source income.

By the way the IRS doesn't go after the average man. Their small tax burden is not worth their time. They go after the wealthy, who pay all the taxes and have to deal with this anxiety.

Frankly if I was on a jury, I do not care, I would vote innocent no matter what.
miffed

Miami, FL

#101 Apr 18, 2009
RHR wrote:
I told you people 6 weeks ago the the governments case was weak. The ability to send payments directly to a legitimite finacial services company to be placed in a defered annuity is perfectly legal and quite common for the past 15 years. I hope the IRS has to pay all the legal bills for Helio, his sister and Mr Miller. I look forward to seeing Helio in an hour. I'm sure he's gonna be ready to race.
I also hope the irs has to pay back interest and penalties too. I hope they lose all their cases. There shouldn't even be an IRS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

CART Racing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Simon Pagenaud and Chevrolet win IndyCar race a... Apr '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News 2015 Petit Le Mans: Action Express Racing Sweep... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 2
News Fraternity Suspended After Hanging Gross Signs ... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Fart news 2
News Simon Pagenaud puts Honda on pole for Saturday ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News Harvick wins controversial Montreal Busch race (Aug '07) May '14 Douglas Kenney 46
News Pagenaud tops speed chart at strange Indy practice (May '14) May '14 wichita-rick 2
News Action Express Corvette fastest in 12 Hours of ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Berkely Hendrix 1
More from around the web