Gospel of Judas: Document Is Genuine, but Is Its Story True?

There are 2 comments on the Religion News Blog story from Apr 7, 2006, titled Gospel of Judas: Document Is Genuine, but Is Its Story True?. In it, Religion News Blog reports that:

The New York Times, USA Apr. 7, 2006 Laurie Goodstein www.nytimes.com ReligionNewsBlog.com Item 14243 Posted: 2006-04-07 16:27:32 In 1959, when the Gospel of Thomas was first published in English, many ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Religion News Blog.

cktirumalai

Washington, DC

#1 Apr 8, 2006
In the received version, Jesus knew that Judas would betray him, explicitly identifying him at the Last Supper(treachery from within the chosen group). Judas accepted thirty pieces of silver, led the Chief Priest to the Garden of Gethsemane, where he kissed Jesus on the cheek, and thus marked him out. But he was a betrayer with a belated conscience, for he hanged himself after the Crucifixion. It seems to me that Jesus understood the part Judas played in the larger drama, and Judas understood it imperfectly, if at all. The betrayal was necessary, as the Fall in Eden had been necessary. Then too I sense other hidden elements in the drama but this is not an appropriate forum for their discussion. The attempt to present a more heroic and felicitous Judas does not ring true, and reminds me of the attempt to link Jesus and the disciples with the hallucinogenic Magic Mushroom.
Fall in Eden

Toronto, Canada

#2 Nov 25, 2008

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wolfville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Regional Feb '15 freethinkradio do... 1
Wolfville Wetland Threatened (May '14) May '14 Concerned 1
News Canada's greatest unknown writer (May '14) May '14 goody gumdrop or ... 1
News Art scene July 2 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Crow____ 2
News N.S. teen pleads for help with mental health is... (Feb '12) Jul '13 Anonymous 2
News Canadian painter Alex Colville dies (Jul '13) Jul '13 Babs12 2
News Cruiser Nov. 6 (Nov '12) Nov '12 Don 1
More from around the web