Homicide capital of Canada

Homicide capital of Canada

There are 51 comments on the The Winnipeg Free Press story from Jul 25, 2012, titled Homicide capital of Canada. In it, The Winnipeg Free Press reports that:

A national survey of police-reported crime data for 2011 found Winnipeg and Manitoba had the highest homicide rates in the country, and Winnipeg had the most violent crime.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Winnipeg Free Press.

JTF

Winnipeg, Canada

#27 Sep 23, 2012
Anon: Just how much blood can your heart bleed?
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#28 Sep 24, 2012
Peter Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, I and many like me did what needed to be done. Unlike the cowards and whiners that would never be able to do so.
Let me guess (not so much a guess as 100% certainty) that you never did don a uniform and have the courage to give your country what needed to be done.
You really don't need to answer, I know your stripe. You think that the Police are your first line of defense. Which is laughable. To me, police are necessary only to the point of scraping up what's left of some drugged out scumbag from my porch door and thanking me for taking out a piece of barely human trash from the equation.
But that probably "shocks" you doesn't it?
I cannot imagine someone like you facing some of the situations I and my brothers in arms did. Actually, I can; it involves fast running feet and lots of tears...
Truthfully, you have my pity, as does everyone that relies on you.
Please, needed to be done. It was absolutely stupid for Canadians to have gone into Somalia and Afghanistan. A waste of billions of dollars for absolutely nothing, when we have a country crumbling at home. Billions of dollars to enrich a few corporations. Clearly the situations you and your brothers in arms faced were not good for your mental health. As I said, knowing how full of anger and hate you seem to be, I think the chances are FAR greater that you will turn the gun on yourself or on a friend or family member than on a stranger. Sad, I feel bad for what your experience did for you. I guess you kind of have to think it was necessary and important as some kind of coping mechanism.
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#29 Sep 24, 2012
JTF wrote:
Anon: Just how much blood can your heart bleed?
Yeah, yeah JTF/Garbage Peg, another really "clever" comment from you.
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#30 Sep 24, 2012
DUH PETER ROSS wrote:
<quoted text> Speaking of help, you need to work out your obvious issues SPARKY.
I know, it's terrible how many ex-military people have issues with PTSD. Many are unable to ever integrate back into society. But yet, the WWII and Korea vets for the most part were able to cope? Is it a generational thing or is more modern warfare that much more scarring.

Since: Dec 11

Winnipeg, Canada

#31 Sep 28, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, needed to be done. It was absolutely stupid for Canadians to have gone into Somalia and Afghanistan.
I snipped the rest...
The fact that you're not intelligent enough to realize the MASSIVE amounts of good we did, speaks volumes for your experience on the subject.
I was ON THE GROUND there sparky, I know full well what happened there. I SAW the kids, scarred and broken, from the taliban's reign of terror over them.
Ever see a kid deliriously happy because someone handed him a rubber ball? Because he could have expected a beating, and worse, if he was spotted playing with one, or ANYTHING else, whent the taliban ran things?
I did. Because I handed it to him. And others to his friends.
They were all shiny teeth and jumping legs. And it brought a tear to my eye.
We built them wells, and kids finally had clean water to drink. We built schools and girls finally got a chance to read and write.
We built aid stations and kids finally got innoculations that kids here take for granted.

So, go ahead and tell me again that it was a "waste of money" you moron.
Honestly, you have nothing but my pity, both for your ignorance, and your seeming inability to see past the liberal media's BS.
Litter Peg

Winnipeg, Canada

#32 Sep 29, 2012
Peter Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
I snipped the rest...
The fact that you're not intelligent enough to realize the MASSIVE amounts of good we did, speaks volumes for your experience on the subject.
I was ON THE GROUND there sparky, I know full well what happened there. I SAW the kids, scarred and broken, from the taliban's reign of terror over them.
Ever see a kid deliriously happy because someone handed him a rubber ball? Because he could have expected a beating, and worse, if he was spotted playing with one, or ANYTHING else, whent the taliban ran things?
We built them wells, and kids finally had clean water to drink. We built schools and girls finally got a chance to read and write.
We built aid stations and kids finally got innoculations that kids here take for granted.
Honestly, you have nothing but my pity, both for your ignorance, and your seeming inability to see past the liberal media's BS.
So you gave a suffering, frightened child a ball knowing he will be punished for playing with it? DUH Peter Ross. Set up anyone else for serious punishment after we pull out?
Scum need to depart

Winnipeg, Canada

#33 Sep 29, 2012
As long as the scum keep knocking each other off who cares ! Once all the riff raff are gone, then the title will go to the next city that needs cleaning....
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#34 Sep 29, 2012
Peter Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
I snipped the rest...
Honestly, you have nothing but my pity, both for your ignorance, and your seeming inability to see past the
liberal media's BS.
Yes, I'll tell you again it was a waste of money. Nice to help other countries, but any good accomplished will not last any length of time and the money would have been better spent at home. Canada has plenty of problems that need resolving. Mean as it sounds, we can't go spending billions just to hand out rubber balls.

Or for that matter, billions to leave a country utterly disgraced and with the nation's reputation in tatters, as was the case with Somalia. Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the Somalia Affair, one of the darkest moments in Canada's history.

As I said before, you have to believe that what you did was important and worthwhile. If you didn't you likely would have a harder time coping. But don't kid yourself "Sparky", neither conflict was WWI or WWII.

Winnipeg, Canada

#35 Oct 1, 2012
Litter Peg wrote:
<quoted text> So you gave a suffering, frightened child a ball knowing he will be punished for playing with it? DUH Peter Ross. Set up anyone else for serious punishment after we pull out?
They grow them dumb in your home village don't they?

Let me see if I can explain this using small words so you might have a chance to understand;
When we stopped the Taliban and broke their strangle hold on the people, the people themselves, found the courage to stand up to them, and defend themselves.

I hope that wasn't too hard for you to understand. Quite frankly, it gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level.

Winnipeg, Canada

#36 Oct 1, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'll tell you again it was a waste of money. Nice to help other countries, but any good accomplished will not last any length of time and the money would have been better spent at home. Canada has plenty of problems that need resolving. Mean as it sounds, we can't go spending billions just to hand out rubber balls.
Or for that matter, billions to leave a country utterly disgraced and with the nation's reputation in tatters, as was the case with Somalia. Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the Somalia Affair, one of the darkest moments in Canada's history.
As I said before, you have to believe that what you did was important and worthwhile. If you didn't you likely would have a harder time coping. But don't kid yourself "Sparky", neither conflict was WWI or WWII.
So you're not only cowardly, but completely oblivious to reality as well.
Let me ask you this one question, though I doubt you'll be able to understand it, or answer but here goes;
How do you think the Jews of Europe would have fared, under the 3d Reich, without the Allies to fight and end the madness that was the final solution?
Hmmm?

(seriously, I don't expect someone like you to answer directly, but it should be fun reading your answer. So far, you've been comedy gold!)
DUH MOMENT

Winnipeg, Canada

#37 Oct 1, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, it's terrible how many ex-military people have issues with PTSD. Many are unable to ever integrate back into society. But yet, the WWII and Korea vets for the most part were able to cope? Is it a generational thing or is more modern warfare that much more scarring.
DUH ANON. They were just as damaged. What a dumb assumption.
Litter Peg

Winnipeg, Canada

#38 Oct 1, 2012
Peter Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
They grow them dumb in your home village don't they?
Let me see if I can explain this using small words so you might have a chance to understand;
When we stopped the Taliban and broke their strangle hold on the people, the people themselves, found the courage to stand up to them, and defend themselves.
I hope that wasn't too hard for you to understand. Quite frankly, it gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level.
Here's a small word you don't seem to understand SPARKY...DUH. If you think the Taliban is gone for good then DUH. We will have to stay there forever to keep them out. And shove your hero act, I for one don't give a fk.
Litter Peg

Winnipeg, Canada

#39 Oct 1, 2012
Peter Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you this one question, though I doubt you'll be able to understand it, or answer but here goes;
How do you think the Jews of Europe would have fared, under the 3d Reich, without the Allies to fight and end the madness that was the final solution?
Hmmm?
(seriously, I don't expect someone like you to answer directly, but it should be fun reading your answer. So far, you've been comedy gold!)
What an imbecile. SPARKY that war is over, you can stop talking about it hypothetically. Go play ball.
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#40 Oct 1, 2012
Peter Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm?
I suppose my first point is that you seem to be unable to write a post without launching into personal insults. It becomes a little tiring to read your replies to various posters that they likely won't understand what you're writing. Enough of the patronisation. For someone who "served" the country, you sure have a lot of disdain for its traditions, institutions and people. You have shown complete disrespect for Canada's true values: the rule of law, promotion of fair play and proportionality, preservation of the peace and of individual liberties.

There is no comparison between the events of WWII and Afghanistan or Somalia. At the end of the day the victory in Europe (at least over Nazi Germany) was complete. Germany was re-built on liberal democratic lines and integrated into the Western economy. Somalia remains an economic basket-case with no central government and Afghanistan is engaged in perpetual civil war. Whatever the case, it is not Canada's job to send troops to every country where there are poor political and civil rights records. If that was the case, Canadian troops would be involved in dozens of countries. Change must come from within.

If you had learned about WWII, you would realize that the Allies did not enter the war to prevent genocide. As late as early 1939 Russia was still perceived to be a more dangerous enemy than Germany. And even in 1940 certain elements in the US government were of the view that the defeat of Britain would not be such a bad thing.

The reality is Afghanistan was a failed adventure and a waste of billions of dollars, as was Somalia. A conflict with all the elements of a19th century imperialist adventure.
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#41 Oct 1, 2012
DUH MOMENT wrote:
<quoted text> DUH ANON. They were just as damaged. What a dumb assumption.
I'm sure they were...but they held it together better. There were one million Commonwealth dead in WWI, by all accounts the most horrible war ever fought, and those who fought came home to fews jobs and very little support. Then, when they had somewhat got back on their feet they were wiped out by the Depression and the large majority were very poor in old age and parked in old age homes.

The WWII vets were given much more support , but I doubt as much as the vets today. Despite this, the statisics seem to point out a greater incidence of violence, drug abuse and suicide among the current vets.

Perhaps Peter Ross could provide some insight on this. I had relatives that seved in WWII and they abhorred violence. I never heard them talk about killing or hurting another human being. In contrast, Peter Ross "can hardly wait" to pump someone's torso full of lead and call the police over to scrape them off the stairs. This is the kind of mindset that let to the Somalia Affair and the recent massacre in Wisconsin.

For those of you who don't remember the Somali Affair, take a few minutes and read about it. That is what happens when civilian authorities poorly supervise the military and a culture of violence is allowed to dominate. I have great respect for the military but it must always be subordinate and supervised by civilian authorities.
DUH MOMENT

Winnipeg, Canada

#42 Oct 1, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure they were...but they held it together better. There were one million Commonwealth dead in WWI, by all accounts the most horrible war ever fought, and those who fought came home to fews jobs and very little support. Then, when they had somewhat got back on their feet they were wiped out by the Depression and the large majority were very poor in old age and parked in old age homes.
The WWII vets were given much more support , but I doubt as much as the vets today. Despite this, the statisics seem to point out a greater incidence of violence, drug abuse and suicide among the current vets.
Perhaps Peter Ross could provide some insight on this. I had relatives that seved in WWII and they abhorred violence. I never heard them talk about killing or hurting another human being. In contrast, Peter Ross "can hardly wait" to pump someone's torso full of lead and call the police over to scrape them off the stairs. This is the kind of mindset that let to the Somalia Affair and the recent massacre in Wisconsin.
For those of you who don't remember the Somali Affair, take a few minutes and read about it. That is what happens when civilian authorities poorly supervise the military and a culture of violence is allowed to dominate. I have great respect for the military but it must always be subordinate and supervised by civilian authorities.
My father was in ww2. He had issues the rest of his life including flashbacks and memory issuers. He was suicidal at times, and miserable. He took pill after pill and died young. No success story here.
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#43 Oct 1, 2012
Back to the original topic, Winnipeg's 23rd murder occurred on Saturday near the Maryland Hotel, just feet away from where there was a murder a few months back. In both cases young males had just purchased some beer (seems pretty normal to me for a Friday night) and shortly thereafter were gunned down. These murders do not appear gang related. There is also another unsolved murder in February that occurred six blocks away. Motive is unknown. These are baffling, any thoughts? Are these deliberate attacks? For what reason? Any thoughts?

As sad as it sounds, with 23 murders, Winnipeg should fall short of the record of 38 set in 2011. At the current pace, one could guess that the final count for 2012 will be 30 or 31. Hopefully enough of a reduction for Winnipeg to lose its "murder capital" title.

The murders are highly concentated in the inner part of the city, and the North End is far from the most dangerous. Here's the breakdown by area, taken from WPS crime stats. I'm using traditionally accepted boundaries for areas. For example, the West End is bounded by St. James St., Notre Dame Ave., Colony/Balmoral Streets and the Assiniboine River:

West End: 9, North End: 6, Downtown: 3, Elmwood, Fort Rouge, Old Kildonan, St. Vital, St. Boniface: 1 each.

St. James-Assiniboia, Charleswood, Tuxedo, River Heights, Fort Garry, Transcona, East Kildonan, North Kildonan, West Kildonan: none.

Male victims: 15, Female victims: 8.
Obviously we need to address violence against males with equal effort.

Winnipeg, Canada

#44 Oct 2, 2012
Anon wrote:
The murders are highly concentated in the inner part of the city, and the North End is far from the most dangerous.
I lived in the North end for almost 10 years. It's animal-on-animal crime and 90% of it is drug fueled.
It's good that the trash takes out the trash, if only their aim was better and they wouldn't hit bystanders or acual human beings.

Know what the cops say when gang members kill each other? The code is; OAINHI, meaning "only animals involved, no humans injured". And I for one couldn't agree more.

Winnipeg, Canada

#45 Oct 2, 2012
DUH MOMENT wrote:
<quoted text> My father was in ww2. He had issues the rest of his life including flashbacks and memory issuers. He was suicidal at times, and miserable. He took pill after pill and died young. No success story here.
Same as mine. He fought in WWII and in Korea. He pretty much drank himself to death because of what he saw.
He did, however, manage to be a good, loving father despite the obvious PTSD he suffered from. It's all a matter of guts and integrity. And he had both by the trainload.
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#46 Oct 9, 2012
Peter Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in the North end for almost 10 years. It's animal-on-animal crime and 90% of it is drug fueled.
It's good that the trash takes out the trash, if only their aim was better and they wouldn't hit bystanders or acual human beings.
Know what the cops say when gang members kill each other? The code is; OAINHI, meaning "only animals involved, no humans injured". And I for one couldn't agree more.
Winnipeg's 24th homocide of 2012 occurred early Monday morning. No, not in the North End, not on Maryland Street, not outside of Portage Place....but on Lindsay Street in River Heights. It's the 2nd murder in less than a month in South Winnipeg, the other having occurred in Fort Rouge near Stafford and Pembina,

If you consider the pre 1972 boundaries of the City of Winnipeg, 21 of the 24 homocides have occurred within the old Winnipeg Limits. With an approximate population of 200,000, this indicates a murder rate of 10.5 per 100,000 persons, which is four times the rate of New York City, more than double the rate of Los Angeles, about double the rates of Dallas and Houston, and higher than the rate in Washington, D.C. Chicago's rate of 10.83 is roughly similar and the City of Chicago is in an absolute panic about its crime rate. Compare this to Winnipeg where despite some of the highest per capita police spending in the country and a new police helicopter, Winnipeggers are consistently reminded that crime is rare and that this is a very safe city, when in fact it is less safe than the Bronx. Winnipeg needs to think outside the box, and start learning from cities that have been successful in reducing their violent crime rates. While Winnipeg's homocide rate has tripled in the last 50 years, New York's is actually about the same as in the early 60's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnipeg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
top ten reasons america is better than canada (Apr '08) 6 hr deephouse412 713
News Supplies being flown to Shamattawa in wake of f... 13 hr chugs are pos 8
PILASTER - " I am NOT a Costa Rican Drug Lord !... 13 hr I am The One 18
any one remember NFL bust Rod Hill? (Mar '12) 13 hr Rod Up Yer Backside 90
News Rough development-fee beast slouches toward Win... 14 hr Smartly Kives - CBC 1
Dominion News on Portage (Jan '08) 14 hr Newbie No More 872
News Canadian native groups to join Dakota Access pi... Sat Prez of the Rez -... 1
More from around the web