Winnipeg vs Calgary
Quark Strange Charmed

Winnipeg, Canada

#365 Aug 6, 2009
noshit wrote:
Looking for work for past 3 months and no jobs in Winnipeg.This is a complette hell hole.
You walked into this one. Manitoba has the hottest economy in the country right now. If you can't find a job you are dealing with some skills deficiencies.
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2009/07/30/conf...
WINNIPEG

Winnipeg, Canada

#366 Aug 31, 2009
I moved from Calgary to Winnipeg and I hear the same asinine question everytime I tell someone. "Why would you move here?" In the past Calgary used to be a nice city which is why it was rated so high previously. Now every douche bag that flaunts his salary on websites like this and spends an equivalent of monthly rent on adorning his wardrobe with Ed Hardy and Affliction gear has flocked the streets and ruined Calgary. Winnipeg might be rough around the edges. It might get cold. It has lots of mosquitos... but it doesn't have as many narcissistic fuck holes that feel the need to come on forums and inflate their personal selfworth by attacking another city. You know what city is better than Calgary? Kelowna... or Victoria... You know what city is better than those? How about something in Sweden? Or Iceland? Winnipeg isn't necessarily as aesthetically pleasing but the people are by far some of the best people I have met. I hope JamesK chokes on his own dick.
Blisterdog

Calgary, Canada

#367 Sep 11, 2009
Okay...Calgary vs. Winnipeg? Dumb comparison... Regina vs. Winnipeg is a more appropriate test. Winnipeg is a one Porsche town...no money; no pride (except to say they think the more they talk about pride that it will just exist) ie: "Spirited Energy". Calgary is in a different league...an international can-do city. Construction work occurs at all hours of the day...and weekends.

The shit-snivelling, left-wing, NDP union clowns run Winnipeg. Enjoy the perpetuation of poverty...and please don't do such insulting comparisons nor mention Calgary in the same sentence as Winnipeg...
Blisterdog

Calgary, Canada

#368 Sep 12, 2009
South End wrote:
A few points for all of you who are on the fence. I have lived here all my life; however work allows me to travel and see other places. Winnipeg really is a great place to live. Yes there are some short comings, but every place has them. Winnipeg is a city of character, beauty and history. Today I took the river taxi to the forks and had dinner; Calgary and Edmonton have nothing like it. The winters are long; they are long everywhere on the prairies. I don't recall Winnipeg ever having snow in June, but Calgary does.
Yes Calgary has a sparkling new downtown; however after the initial first impression you realize that it lacks depth and character.
Culture and night life - No comparison, unless your pallete begins and ends with the various homogenized franchise restaurants that Calgary has no end of... TGI's anyone!!
That's just dumb...snow in June? When was that? Once in recorded history? How about spring in February (in Calgary - it's called a Chinook). I'll take that one day of snow in June as an opp for snowball fun vs. October to May winters. Downtown Cal is lively, fun, and SAFE. You CANNOT walk anywhere in downtown Wpg without fear of being stabbed. Where do you eat? Cal has great restaurants too.
South End

Winnipeg, Canada

#369 Sep 19, 2009
Blisterdog wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just dumb...snow in June? When was that? Once in recorded history? How about spring in February (in Calgary - it's called a Chinook). I'll take that one day of snow in June as an opp for snowball fun vs. October to May winters. Downtown Cal is lively, fun, and SAFE. You CANNOT walk anywhere in downtown Wpg without fear of being stabbed. Where do you eat? Cal has great restaurants too.
I take it that you don't actually live in Calgary; do you! Calgary got a foot of snow in June of this year. I was in Calgary in the third week of June; it was cold and you couldn't find a flower anywhere. Calgary looked like winter had just ended; hardly appealing, mostly brown and dry.
Calgary is a dust bowl with few acceptible restaurants and a couple of twigs for trees. People like to talk about the mountains; but they're an hour away! Its only claim to fame is a greasy cowboy bar.
Sorry but Calgary is a four dressed up like an eight; the next morning your realize that its all lipstick and rouge.
sender

Winnipeg, Canada

#370 Sep 24, 2009
WINNIPEG and south end obviously have NOT seen the west for what it reall is, beautiful and prosperous..as for quark strange charmed...maybe take a look at federal economy statistics instead of local provincial ones, winnipeg is not even in the top ten cities for generating international business incomes, so lay off the crack

if for some reason you LOVE winnipeg, stay and live a mediocre lofe at best...because it is most likly the best you will ever, ever experience..
because you deserve it

ALBERTA RULES
JAZ

Calgary, Canada

#371 Sep 29, 2009
Smartin the hell up!!!! Gawd, we are all western Canadians. WE need to save our fighting energy to battle the east, not turn on each other in the west!! LOL

"Come on people, everybody get together and try to love one another right now" LOL

We have had to eat the eastern crap for years, lets not let this happen between 2 Western provinces!

Instaed of fighting on line do something to help your city. It is being listed as a mimi Detroit!!! Put your energy to doing something possitive in your community!
JAZ

Calgary, Canada

#372 Sep 29, 2009
I have many friends from Manitoba and 1 thing you can't take away from them is they are great friendly people.

Calagry has more money because of all the oilfield offices and people living here, but Winnipeg has things going for it also!! beautiful lakes and good food ummmmmmmmm Winkler sausage YUM!!!!

The first question they ask you when people meet you in Calgay is " where do you live" and " what kind of car do you drive" LOL

When i meet up with my buddies from Manitoba they ask 'how are you and what would you like to drink and eat. LOl.

Gotta love em!!!

Both great places and good people!!
Ron

Winnipeg, Canada

#373 Sep 29, 2009
I might add that the owners of that bar are from, and living in, Winnipeg. It is styled after their operation here.
South End wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it that you don't actually live in Calgary; do you! Calgary got a foot of snow in June of this year. I was in Calgary in the third week of June; it was cold and you couldn't find a flower anywhere. Calgary looked like winter had just ended; hardly appealing, mostly brown and dry.
Calgary is a dust bowl with few acceptible restaurants and a couple of twigs for trees. People like to talk about the mountains; but they're an hour away! Its only claim to fame is a greasy cowboy bar.
Sorry but Calgary is a four dressed up like an eight; the next morning your realize that its all lipstick and rouge.
Ron

Winnipeg, Canada

#374 Sep 29, 2009
You are absolutely right about a few things.One being that we should all abandon the forum and get out to do something for our respective cities and the second is that it uses up good energy fighting about crap basically.

Aside from that I am not so sure that Winnipeg, or even Saskatchewan really, are considered the west. Alberta seems to see itself as The West. We have been made Central Canada. Thus, some allegiance to the east is as easy to appreciate as some to the west.
JAZ wrote:
Smartin the hell up!!!! Gawd, we are all western Canadians. WE need to save our fighting energy to battle the east, not turn on each other in the west!! LOL
"Come on people, everybody get together and try to love one another right now" LOL
We have had to eat the eastern crap for years, lets not let this happen between 2 Western provinces!
Instaed of fighting on line do something to help your city. It is being listed as a mimi Detroit!!! Put your energy to doing something possitive in your community!
Glen

Winnipeg, Canada

#375 Sep 29, 2009
Calgary
- NHL & WHL hockey
- Lower taxes
- Great nightlife
- Mountains
- Warmer winters
- A "can-do" attitude from the city and most of its citizens
- The famous Calgary Stampede
- The "Red Mile" during the Flames playoff runs

Winnipeg
- Red River Ex
- Cheap place to live
- Tinkertown
- The cottage a short drive away

CALGARY WINS. END OF DISCUSSION.
Homer

Winnipeg, Canada

#376 Sep 29, 2009
If you look back at your post I would suggest that you are saying that Calgary is better for single young adults and Winnipeg is better for families. Almost all of your post is about sports.
lh winnipeger

Winnipeg, Canada

#377 Oct 3, 2009
JamesK wrote:
I lived in Calgary for ten years and I have now been here 15 months. I was transfered here for an 18 month contract which ends in April. THen I am going back. I can be fully objective about these two cities. Comparing Calgary to Winnipeg is like comparing diamonds to dog shit!!
Calgary is better than Winnipeg in almost every capacity. Take a look at the categories below:
Economy: Calgary blows Winnipeg out of the planet
Entertainment: Calgary has more than Winnipeg. The Stampede beats anything here
Weather: Calgary has better winters. more comfortable summers
Crime: Calgary has far less crime-less natives
Cleanliness: Calgary is the cleanest city on earth according to Mercer in LOndon.
Family: I still think Calgary wins as a better place to raise a family. You don't have to worry about your kids getting mugged in bad areas.
Downtown: Not even close. Calgary is better
Attractiveness: Calgary is nicer than Winnipeg. It is cleaner and has the mountains in the background
The only two areas that Winnipeg might have an edge is cost of living and less traffic. Some might like a slower pace, but that is a matter of preference.
Calgary is Canada's future it is the best city in country right now. No questions asked. Winnipeg is the biggest shithole I have ever seen and I have been to Detroit and Buffalo. I think Winnipeg is worse.
People who think it is great here must have a bloody I.Q of 9.
winnipeg has improved 10 fold since you left and our IQ average has doubled with your moving out, as for your racist comment it speaks volumes about your character. I hope you and your sister have a long and happy marriage.
Joe Joker

Canada

#378 Oct 3, 2009
who is posting this shit and why do people take it seriously? The sad part is I can't take this literally because more than half the people on here sound insane... btw my vote goes to calgary.

Calgary = 988,193 people
Winnipeg = 633,451 people
Canadian

Calgary, Canada

#379 Oct 23, 2009
I live in Calgary and have many friends in Winnipeg. They are both great places. I say either or. As long as it is not Toronto or Montreal. I would rather live in Inuvik than have to live with whinny selfish arrogant people like most people from the East.
Hatemewhenimgone

Moscow, Russia

#380 Oct 28, 2009
Born and raised in the peg. 35 years there. What a waste of my life.Its violent,ugly, cold, poor. I would never raise children there.
Women are the sleaziest sluts in Canada.They are a running joke to the rest of canadians. Babies for welfare money. Left 10 years ago, never coming back. What a shithole.I'm now a millionaire.Would never have gotten rich staying there.Get an education and get out while you can.If not,go to the Palomino and xuck my ex, everybody else does. Just ask for Sue.6 rye and cokes and your in.
Betina

The Pas, Canada

#381 Oct 29, 2009
By the quality of your comments I can clearly understand why you hated Winnipeg and disrespect the women here. I also notice where you are posting from and "get" what your life is about now.

When you grow up you might too. Shame, shame.Don't bother with the bogus response regarding your respectability and my ranking in the social order of your Winnipegs wh---s.
Hatemewhenimgone wrote:
Born and raised in the peg. 35 years there. What a waste of my life.Its violent,ugly, cold, poor. I would never raise children there.
Women are the sleaziest sluts in Canada.They are a running joke to the rest of canadians. Babies for welfare money. Left 10 years ago, never coming back. What a shithole.I'm now a millionaire.Would never have gotten rich staying there.Get an education and get out while you can.If not,go to the Palomino and xuck my ex, everybody else does. Just ask for Sue.6 rye and cokes and your in.
Hatemewhenimgone

Thailand

#382 Oct 29, 2009
Re Betina, You can shame shame all you like.I don't need to defend my respectability.I'm happily married thank you. I have a lot of respect for women, those that deserve it.My Thai wife was a virgin when I married her. Not a bar hopping wpg ho.Thank god I got out of that peg shithole.
You don't "get" anything.You paint Thai women with the same brush as I paint peg women.You are no better than I am.I doubt you have ever been here.The difference is that I have travelled the world for many years and know what I speak of.Peg women are by far the sleaziest I have ever met.I can't comment about your ranking as I don't know you.
Betina

The Pas, Canada

#383 Oct 29, 2009
You misunderstood. I was absolutely not calling into question the women of Thailand.
Hatemewhenimgone wrote:
Re Betina, You can shame shame all you like.I don't need to defend my respectability.I'm happily married thank you. I have a lot of respect for women, those that deserve it.My Thai wife was a virgin when I married her. Not a bar hopping wpg ho.Thank god I got out of that peg shithole.
You don't "get" anything.You paint Thai women with the same brush as I paint peg women.You are no better than I am.I doubt you have ever been here.The difference is that I have travelled the world for many years and know what I speak of.Peg women are by far the sleaziest I have ever met.I can't comment about your ranking as I don't know you.
Hatemewhenimgone

Thailand

#384 Oct 29, 2009
Betina wrote:
You misunderstood. I was absolutely not calling into question the women of Thailand.
<quoted text>
No I have not misunderstood. You basically intimated I am a whoremonger.On the contrary, I treat my wife like gold. However,I do thank you for your clarification about Thai women.My advice for what it's worth to any of the men on here is; Do not get a woman pregnant. Wear a condom. Stay in school or go back to school. Get a professional degree and leave as quickly as you can.Anything less and you are selling yourself short and wasting your life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnipeg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
102.3 Clear FM Bonus Points (May '13) 2 hr macandchesse 4,818
BONERCOWSKY - KHAN reality of lies, damn lies, ... 4 hr PILASTER a LIAR 1
any one remember NFL bust Rod Hill? (Mar '12) 4 hr No Left Foot NFL 36
News 15 First Nations to compete in 2nd annual 'Beyo... 4 hr Lumpson Whitehead 3
News Breakfast Buzz: How safe would you rank Saskatoon? 4 hr WHITE TRASH BIN 3
MY BALZAR AKIN ! deflect scandal of Harper's sp... 17 hr AIR BUS ROBOCALLS 1
SUN EDITORS - NDP missed chance to boost Tolko Wed Hydro VP of Blowi... 1
More from around the web