Winnipeg: Canada's worst city!!!
Marta L

Winnipeg, Canada

#21 Dec 11, 2007
Winnipeg sucks.

I've been here 7 years, and in my experience Winnipeggers are polite, but not friendly (especially women). It takes 2 to 3 years for a Winnipeger to warm up enough to befriend you and go beyond small talk. I've just given up.

I've been to "socials" and events where no one would talk to me, because I didn't show up with someone they knew. And don't even try to pick up a conversation, because all you'll get is a "Who are you?" look and some yes/no answers.

I have only 2 friends here. On is an immigrant as myself, who has had the exact same experience with "Friendly" Manitoba. She's lived all over the world, and she says by far Winnipeg is the worst place to make friends she has encountered (she can't wait to move). My other friend is from work (it took two years of seeing me everyday for her to start going out to lunch with me).

If you think of moving here, you'd better know some people, or you'll be very lonely. If you are introduced to people through friends, you might do ok.

For those Winnipeggers defending their home town, let me ask you: When was the last time you made a new friend (not introduced to you by another friend)?
candid lee

Winnipeg, Canada

#22 Dec 11, 2007
krajina warrior wrote:
<quoted text>your calling me dumb your the dumbest on here then move if you don't like it fool...
You see other people think you're a dumbass. Defend your position- Why do you like this hellhole?
candid lee

Winnipeg, Canada

#23 Dec 11, 2007
Marta L wrote:
Winnipeg sucks.
I've been here 7 years, and in my experience Winnipeggers are polite, but not friendly (especially women). It takes 2 to 3 years for a Winnipeger to warm up enough to befriend you and go beyond small talk. I've just given up.
I've been to "socials" and events where no one would talk to me, because I didn't show up with someone they knew. And don't even try to pick up a conversation, because all you'll get is a "Who are you?" look and some yes/no answers.
I have only 2 friends here. On is an immigrant as myself, who has had the exact same experience with "Friendly" Manitoba. She's lived all over the world, and she says by far Winnipeg is the worst place to make friends she has encountered (she can't wait to move). My other friend is from work (it took two years of seeing me everyday for her to start going out to lunch with me).
If you think of moving here, you'd better know some people, or you'll be very lonely. If you are introduced to people through friends, you might do ok.
For those Winnipeggers defending their home town, let me ask you: When was the last time you made a new friend (not introduced to you by another friend)?
Not being able to Make friends is not the only reason this city sucks. The winters are awful, the city is boring, and it is ugly as hell. The crime rate is terrible as well.
Chilly

Steinbach, Canada

#24 Dec 12, 2007
Mr Freeze I applaud you. You said it all. We moved here two years ago and are leaving in April. Can't wait to get out of this stinking, retarded, frozen wasteland. The only thing Winnipeg has going for it is CITI FM.
johhnykaz

Winnipeg, Canada

#25 Dec 13, 2007
Chilly wrote:
Mr Freeze I applaud you. You said it all. We moved here two years ago and are leaving in April. Can't wait to get out of this stinking, retarded, frozen wasteland. The only thing Winnipeg has going for it is CITI FM.
The only thing great about this city is that everywhere else seems like a vacation. I was in Regina last year and it was more pleasant than Winnipeg.
Ang Pang

Winnipeg, Canada

#26 Dec 13, 2007
I've lived a few places, visited a lot, and have to say...Winnipeg is freaking cold. It is true. Imagine that, a city in the prairies, cold. Windy. Brrrr. But honestly, who didn't know that before they voluntarily moved here. Growing up in the prairies, it made me appreciate warmer winters in other regions. It doesn't make me hate Winnipeg. It makes me miss living somewhere else.

As for the violence, yes, Winnipeg does have a reputation for being violent, thanks to a lot of media coverage. However, only believe 10% of what you believe in the media. They have the "if it bleeds, it leads" philosophy. Any town, city, or village has crime. If you want to reduce the crime you might be subject to, don't walk in the North End at midnight by yourself. Sorry to perpetuate the "North End" myth.

No, I don't plan on spending the rest of my life in Winnipeg, but there are worse places in the world. If you don't want to be here, honestly, then it's a free world - go somewhere else. Winnipeg does have its positive points. There are a butt-load of good restaurants, there's good theatre, good concerts that come to town, and I've never had any problems making friends in Winnipeg.(I'm not originally from Winnipeg.)

The best thing about living in Winnipeg is that you have the option to your own opinion about it. Complain about it if you must, but if you're in Winnipeg, then there is obviously a reason for it. If it's work, then deal with it. If it was for a personal choice, then suck it up, buttercup!!

Just my two cents. I say all this knowing I'm about to get ragged on...
:-)
Ang Pang

Winnipeg, Canada

#27 Dec 13, 2007
Oh, an apparently, I'm from Elm Creek. Just thought I'd say - no, I'm not from there. Odd that it would say I am. But whatever...

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#28 Dec 14, 2007
I have discovered there are those that have something negative to say about Winnipeg and tend to say it more frequently than those that are positive.

One of my passions is my home town. I'm not sure why. I do know there are many other Winnipeggers that share my passion. I also know there are a few that have little use for my city.

Since no city is perfect, including Winnipeg, I expect to read posts that are both pro and con. I would just like to see rational, mature commentary. It reads better and is less offensive.

What I love about Winnipeg.

* Really nice warm people.
* Great small-BIG city; big enough to have all the amenities; small enough it takes no time to get "there".
* Salisbury House and Gondola Pizza. You just have to grow up with them to know what I mean.
* Great people. Mostly.
* Smog free.
* No traffic jams. Well, only a few. Not worth mentioning really.
* The Winnipeg Jets. This is the most popular non-existent sports franchises known to man.
* The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Canada's team. Note to world: they will win the 2008 Grey Cup.
* Best Spring-Summer-Fall in the whole world. And winter is "challenging".
* Great arts community. I'm not big on Ballet, Symphonies, Choral stuff. But others are. And we have some of the very best.
* A gud edumacation sistem. Real afordabble-like too.
* Excellent people. Real easy to meet. Unpretentious.
* Very affordable real estate. It has taken off a bit in the last 3 or 4 years, but still a good bargain can be found.
* Excellent neighborhoods.
* Oh, I should add that the people of Winnipeg are terrific.

I just moved back to Winnipeg after more than 16 years in Toronto. I have traveled extensively throughout Canada and the US.

Every city has its good points and bad. Some cities are head and shoulders above others. It is difficult to say one is better than another unless you've actually lived in those cities.

- grumpy
mrmayweather

Winnipeg, Canada

#29 Dec 15, 2007
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
I have discovered there are those that have something negative to say about Winnipeg and tend to say it more frequently than those that are positive.
One of my passions is my home town. I'm not sure why. I do know there are many other Winnipeggers that share my passion. I also know there are a few that have little use for my city.
Since no city is perfect, including Winnipeg, I expect to read posts that are both pro and con. I would just like to see rational, mature commentary. It reads better and is less offensive.
What I love about Winnipeg.
* Really nice warm people.
* Great small-BIG city; big enough to have all the amenities; small enough it takes no time to get "there".
* Salisbury House and Gondola Pizza. You just have to grow up with them to know what I mean.
* Great people. Mostly.
* Smog free.
* No traffic jams. Well, only a few. Not worth mentioning really.
* The Winnipeg Jets. This is the most popular non-existent sports franchises known to man.
* The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Canada's team. Note to world: they will win the 2008 Grey Cup.
* Best Spring-Summer-Fall in the whole world. And winter is "challenging".
* Great arts community. I'm not big on Ballet, Symphonies, Choral stuff. But others are. And we have some of the very best.
* A gud edumacation sistem. Real afordabble-like too.
* Excellent people. Real easy to meet. Unpretentious.
* Very affordable real estate. It has taken off a bit in the last 3 or 4 years, but still a good bargain can be found.
* Excellent neighborhoods.
* Oh, I should add that the people of Winnipeg are terrific.
I just moved back to Winnipeg after more than 16 years in Toronto. I have traveled extensively throughout Canada and the US.
Every city has its good points and bad. Some cities are head and shoulders above others. It is difficult to say one is better than another unless you've actually lived in those cities.
- grumpy
Grumpy:

Your comments here are cheap as they are cut and pasted from another thread. You also warned people about expressing opinions as facts, you have done nothing less here.

Best Summers, Fall,winter- c'mon- there are only 2 or 3 months of the year where it is comfortable in the spring and fall. The summers are hot, mosquito infested and muggy. Want perfect weather go to California or Florida. The winters here are alot more than challenging.

No Traffic Jams- try most of the south end, especially Kenaston. All the trains are a problem.

Great people- people here are pleasant, but it is more difficult to make friends than a city like Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton.

Excellent Neibourhoods- You gotta be kidding. Half of this city looks like a war zone. I wouldn't walk around after dark in the north or west ends. This city has more run-down crime ridden areas for its size than anywhere in Canada. Most of this city looks like a dump.

Gondola Pizza- Great food- Not!! They use canned mushrooms on their pizza. This is not the mark of a quality restaurant. Salisbury house is also questionable for its food.

The odds are stacking against you here Grumpy. More people who respond hate Winnipeg than like it. The recent survey also branded Winnipeg as a poor place to live. This survey was accurate as it was conducted by the government and had no reason to be biased.

I think that it is you that needs to get his facts straight Grumpy
mervin3

Winnipeg, Canada

#30 Dec 15, 2007
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
I have discovered there are those that have something negative to say about Winnipeg and tend to say it more frequently than those that are positive.
One of my passions is my home town. I'm not sure why. I do know there are many other Winnipeggers that share my passion. I also know there are a few that have little use for my city.
Since no city is perfect, including Winnipeg, I expect to read posts that are both pro and con. I would just like to see rational, mature commentary. It reads better and is less offensive.
What I love about Winnipeg.
* Really nice warm people.
* Great small-BIG city; big enough to have all the amenities; small enough it takes no time to get "there".
* Salisbury House and Gondola Pizza. You just have to grow up with them to know what I mean.
* Great people. Mostly.
* Smog free.
* No traffic jams. Well, only a few. Not worth mentioning really.
* The Winnipeg Jets. This is the most popular non-existent sports franchises known to man.
* The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Canada's team. Note to world: they will win the 2008 Grey Cup.
* Best Spring-Summer-Fall in the whole world. And winter is "challenging".
* Great arts community. I'm not big on Ballet, Symphonies, Choral stuff. But others are. And we have some of the very best.
* A gud edumacation sistem. Real afordabble-like too.
* Excellent people. Real easy to meet. Unpretentious.
* Very affordable real estate. It has taken off a bit in the last 3 or 4 years, but still a good bargain can be found.
* Excellent neighborhoods.
* Oh, I should add that the people of Winnipeg are terrific.
I just moved back to Winnipeg after more than 16 years in Toronto. I have traveled extensively throughout Canada and the US.
Every city has its good points and bad. Some cities are head and shoulders above others. It is difficult to say one is better than another unless you've actually lived in those cities.
- grumpy
I am sick of Winnipeggers bragging how this city has the best restaurants in Canada. I have eaten in every city and I can tell you the restaurants in Winnipeg are no better or worse than anywhere else.

I have also found that Winnipeg has a huge number of bad restaurants. Foody Goody Buffet is barely edible and it is thriving here. In Edmonton and Calgary this buffet went under when it went down hill. I do not get how Winnipeggers can like this crap. The Marigold is another example of a bad restaurant.

Many of the local chains which Winnipeggers like are nothing special. Grapes, Salisbury House, Pony Corral, Brannigan's etc are all example of fair or mediocre dining. If they were so damn good why have they not expanded to anywhere else outside of Manitoba like Earl's Moxies or the Keg?

Don't get me wrong there are some great restaurants in Winnipeg, but this city is no better than anywhere else.
Grumpy Old Man

Winnipeg, Canada

#31 Dec 15, 2007
I am very impressed with your culinary exposure. I'll bet very few people can claim they have eaten in every city.

Aren't restaurants and people's tastes subjective? Some people love Ukrainian food. Or Chinese food. If you didn't would you dismiss all those that enjoy it?

I have never heard of Foody Goody Buffet. But so what if some like it?

As for Sal's and Gondola, I don't claim they are special. I just like them. Again, why does that warrant criticism?

Why in the name of God does this subject make you or anyone sick? Why do you care???

- grumpy
mervin3

Winnipeg, Canada

#32 Dec 15, 2007
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
I am very impressed with your culinary exposure. I'll bet very few people can claim they have eaten in every city.
Aren't restaurants and people's tastes subjective? Some people love Ukrainian food. Or Chinese food. If you didn't would you dismiss all those that enjoy it?
I have never heard of Foody Goody Buffet. But so what if some like it?
As for Sal's and Gondola, I don't claim they are special. I just like them. Again, why does that warrant criticism?
Why in the name of God does this subject make you or anyone sick? Why do you care???
- grumpy
I care because I am sick and tired of Winnipeggers's inventing things to defend their lame city. Winnipeg has little going for it so people develop an imagination. It gets tiring after awhile.

No disrespect intented. You are intitled to like those restaurants, but I eat out more than anyone and I am telling you comapred to other places- the food is mediocre.

It is not peoples opinions- it is they can't shut up defending this pathetic frozen town.
Grumpy Old Man

Winnipeg, Canada

#33 Dec 15, 2007
mrmayweather, I'm disappointed. I had hoped to encourage a mature dialog.

The post you call cheap was taken from my own personal blog. I wrote it and posted it several months ago. I edited it slightly for this forum.

As for your rebuttals -- that is fair. But mine are all subjective comments. As are yours. That makes us BOTH right since we are merely stating our opinions. Right?

Facts? Seriously? I prefaced my commentary with "What I Love...". Nowhere do I present them as facts. Come on mrmayweather, you need to use better arguments. Mayhaps some logic.

I was asked to say why I love Winnipeg. I did so and now you choose to pick it apart. What possible satisfaction can you get from this?

You are right about the negative postings here. For some reason some people feel the need to denigrate others or places just because they can. A more creative and positive outlet should be desired.

I can refer you to a blog that would maybe make you reconsider your perceptions about Winnipeg. But I suspect you are not really interested.

- grumpy

ps mrmayweather, You should also check your facts. The survey you refer to was not conducted by the government. Look up Conference Board of Canada.
mrmayweather

Winnipeg, Canada

#34 Dec 15, 2007
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
mrmayweather, I'm disappointed. I had hoped to encourage a mature dialog.
The post you call cheap was taken from my own personal blog. I wrote it and posted it several months ago. I edited it slightly for this forum.
As for your rebuttals -- that is fair. But mine are all subjective comments. As are yours. That makes us BOTH right since we are merely stating our opinions. Right?
Facts? Seriously? I prefaced my commentary with "What I Love...". Nowhere do I present them as facts. Come on mrmayweather, you need to use better arguments. Mayhaps some logic.
I was asked to say why I love Winnipeg. I did so and now you choose to pick it apart. What possible satisfaction can you get from this?
You are right about the negative postings here. For some reason some people feel the need to denigrate others or places just because they can. A more creative and positive outlet should be desired.
I can refer you to a blog that would maybe make you reconsider your perceptions about Winnipeg. But I suspect you are not really interested.
- grumpy
ps mrmayweather, You should also check your facts. The survey you refer to was not conducted by the government. Look up Conference Board of Canada.
Would you contend that this poll was severely biased in some way. Would you contest that a city like Calgary might be more appealing to a large number of newcommers than Winnipeg?

This poll was contracted out by the government to assess potential in Canadian cities. It ranked calgary # 1 and Wpg the worst of larger cities. Tell me why think Winnipeg is better place to move to excluding the cost of living.

I contend that this is the only real tangible advantage Winnipeg has over Calgary. The most survey's tend to agree
mrmayweather

Winnipeg, Canada

#35 Dec 15, 2007
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
mrmayweather, I'm disappointed. I had hoped to encourage a mature dialog.
The post you call cheap was taken from my own personal blog. I wrote it and posted it several months ago. I edited it slightly for this forum.
As for your rebuttals -- that is fair. But mine are all subjective comments. As are yours. That makes us BOTH right since we are merely stating our opinions. Right?
Facts? Seriously? I prefaced my commentary with "What I Love...". Nowhere do I present them as facts. Come on mrmayweather, you need to use better arguments. Mayhaps some logic.
I was asked to say why I love Winnipeg. I did so and now you choose to pick it apart. What possible satisfaction can you get from this?
You are right about the negative postings here. For some reason some people feel the need to denigrate others or places just because they can. A more creative and positive outlet should be desired.
I can refer you to a blog that would maybe make you reconsider your perceptions about Winnipeg. But I suspect you are not really interested.
- grumpy
ps mrmayweather, You should also check your facts. The survey you refer to was not conducted by the government. Look up Conference Board of Canada.
You say that most people are not negative about this city. I have noticed that you are the only one that consistently defends this city. Maybe most Winnipeggers deep down agree with many of the remarks being said. They may like it because of connections, roots, and cost of living, but I'd bet that they know that Winnipeg has more than its share of issues. They may simply not want to think about it
Grumpy Old Man

Winnipeg, Canada

#36 Dec 15, 2007
I have cast no aspersions over that poll. Never suggested it was biased. Not sure why you feel it is necessary to put words in my mouth.

Look, Winnipeg needs some work. Sure it's not the nicest city on this planet. But it is my home. I actually like living here. To read people using such inflammatory language annoys me no end. So yes, I defend it.

There was a time where this city was much more highly thought of. Circumstances have allowed others cities to grow and improve while Winnipeg mostly sat still. In time I've no doubt that will change.

Writing posts that unfairly reflect the true nature of this city out of spite does no one any good. I can't imagine what sense of enjoyment or satisfaction people get.

You then go on to rave about Calgary. Today they are in an enviable position. I have no desire to compete with Calgary. Why should I? Why would you demand that of me? What possible good comes from that?

Tell ya what. I say London, England is by far the most superior place to live. Tell me why think Calgary is better place to move to excluding the cost of living.

You see it is irrelevant. I've neither said that Winnipeg is superior to any other city. I've simply maintained all along I actually like Winnipeg.

- grumpy

ps You didn't check out the Conference Board of Canada did you? You will have discovered the top three contributors to the poll were the cities of Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver. You will also discover that the media also contributed.

Just out of curiosity, what three cities came in first, second and third in the poll? I'm certain that is merely a coincidence...
drdave

Winnipeg, Canada

#37 Dec 15, 2007
I have heard countless things good or bad about Winnipeg (mostly bad). I can take or leave most of the so-called strengths of this city.
The one thing that supercedes activities in this city is the climate. I know there is little we can do to change it, but it is a huge factor in the comfort and entertainment of Winnipeggers.
The weather here is uncomfortable or unlivable 4.5 to 6 months of the year. How much fun is it to live here when you are couped up inside 40% of the year. Having decent weather to enjoy life with family or friends is very important. This is an element that is severely lacking in this city and perhaps Saskatoon or Regina.
I also feel the summers are more uncomfortable here because of the mosquitos and wood ticks.
CapatinC

Winnipeg, Canada

#38 Dec 18, 2007
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
I have discovered there are those that have something negative to say about Winnipeg and tend to say it more frequently than those that are positive.
One of my passions is my home town. I'm not sure why. I do know there are many other Winnipeggers that share my passion. I also know there are a few that have little use for my city.
Since no city is perfect, including Winnipeg, I expect to read posts that are both pro and con. I would just like to see rational, mature commentary. It reads better and is less offensive.
What I love about Winnipeg.
* Really nice warm people.
* Great small-BIG city; big enough to have all the amenities; small enough it takes no time to get "there".
* Salisbury House and Gondola Pizza. You just have to grow up with them to know what I mean.
* Great people. Mostly.
* Smog free.
* No traffic jams. Well, only a few. Not worth mentioning really.
* The Winnipeg Jets. This is the most popular non-existent sports franchises known to man.
* The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Canada's team. Note to world: they will win the 2008 Grey Cup.
* Best Spring-Summer-Fall in the whole world. And winter is "challenging".
* Great arts community. I'm not big on Ballet, Symphonies, Choral stuff. But others are. And we have some of the very best.
* A gud edumacation sistem. Real afordabble-like too.
* Excellent people. Real easy to meet. Unpretentious.
* Very affordable real estate. It has taken off a bit in the last 3 or 4 years, but still a good bargain can be found.
* Excellent neighborhoods.
* Oh, I should add that the people of Winnipeg are terrific.
I just moved back to Winnipeg after more than 16 years in Toronto. I have traveled extensively throughout Canada and the US.
Every city has its good points and bad. Some cities are head and shoulders above others. It is difficult to say one is better than another unless you've actually lived in those cities.
- grumpy
Grumpy:

Much of what you are saying is heavily biased in favor of your hometime. Try and be objective about Winnipeg.

You're telling me that there are not cities in the world with better Springs, Summers, or Falls.

How can the Blue Bombers be Canada's team? You must be a first string team to even qualify. Only teams from the NHL can qualify because it is the best league in Canada's favorite sport, Saying this the Ottawa Senators currently are Canada's team. The CFL is second fiddle to the NFL.

Winnipeg is not just any shithole. It is a shithole with documentation. Look at last week's article that ranked Winnipeg the worst large city (250k+) in Canada. This was a fair evaluation with no outside motive. They told the truth.

Look at Winnipeg for what it really is.
Grumpy Old Man

Winnipeg, Canada

#39 Dec 18, 2007
CapatinC wrote:
<quoted text>
Much of what you are saying is heavily biased in favor of your hometime. Try and be objective about Winnipeg.
Of course it is biased in my favour! What the hell is wrong with you people? This is my opinion about my favourite city. You don't have to agree with me.

Be objective? Sure.Another time. This time I'm being subjective.

Of course there are cities that have better Springs, Summers, or Falls.

Of course the Bombers aren't Canada's team. Well so what?

I could say that the NHL does not count and that you are a complete idiot or even suggesting it. But that would be plain old ignorant. You can believe that. You might even be right. But so what?

Those of you that don't like Winnipeg are entitled to your opinion. Again, you might even be right. Again, so what?

I think the CFL is a great game. So what if it plays second fiddle to the NFL?

Look at my post for what it really is. My thoughts about something I care about.

What is so wrong with that?
the blogfather

AOL

#40 Dec 20, 2007
MrFreeze wrote:
I have lived all over the country and Winnipeg is by far the worst place to live in this great country. This is why:
-Long very cold winters- harshest in Canada
-Violent and very high crime
-Very inefficient traffic system- built for the
horse and carriage.
- Run down, very unattractive and unproductive
downtown
- Poor economy for higher paying jobs
- Terrible city for the young and the single
- Hot muggy amd mosquito infested summers
- Very little to do (compared to other cities,
especially in the winter.
- Difficult city for newcommers to fit in- hard
to make friends if you did not grow up here
- Too many trains that impede traffic (Waverly etc)
This city is only remotely tolerable if you grew up here. The only thing it has going for it is it is cheap and perhaps has a slow pace of life.
As a whole this is Canada's biggest hellhole.
period..
HOW DO YOU REALLY FEEL???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnipeg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oil spill on North Saskatchewan River 10 hr anonymous 1
News Premier calls OmniTrax closure of Churchill por... 18 hr Joe 1
102.3 Clear FM Bonus Points (May '13) Fri heyoldman 4,727
TRUMP is PUTIN's MUSE ! Fri Wierd Al Yanakovi... 1
HUNTER's TOOTOO EXPOSED ! Who is Mystery Laddie ? Fri PILASTER IS FILMON 1
I DON'T RESPOND to THREATS ! - Palister on Port... Fri PILASTER IS FILMON 2
Terracon's Tapper Taps City for Millions ! Fri Brian Blowman Mayor 1
More from around the web