Prime minister set to help reopen engine plant

There are 7 comments on the CTV.ca story from Sep 3, 2008, titled Prime minister set to help reopen engine plant. In it, CTV.ca reports that:

One day after a John Deere plant in Welland, Ont. announced 800 job losses, Prime Minister Stephen Harper prepared to deliver a cash bail-out to save jobs at a Ford engine plant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CTV.ca.

Dorothy darlin

Alfred, Canada

#1 Sep 5, 2008
Canadians Wonder if they're Paying for another Ottawa Black Jacket for CAW Buzz via Tory Time

North America UAW United Auto Workers

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was accused Wednesday of the kind of "vote buying" his Conservative party has criticized the Liberals for, as he announced a multimillion-dollar loan to Ford in ...

http://www.topix.com/world/canada/2008/09/can...
Dorothy darlin

Alfred, Canada

#2 Sep 5, 2008
... 900 people lost their jobs when the plant was shut down last year, though some were hired on at the Ford plant in Oakville, Ont.

There were also reports that the feds were planning to announce funding for the GM plant in St. Catharines, Ont.... 1 comment

Related Topix: Welland, ON, Canada, Ontario, St Catharines, ON, Stephen Harper, Essex, ON, North America, Canada, World News
Nightflyer

Canada

#3 Sep 5, 2008
Dorothy darlin wrote:
Canadians Wonder if they're Paying for another Ottawa Black Jacket for CAW Buzz via Tory Time
North America UAW United Auto Workers
Prime Minister Stephen Harper was accused Wednesday of the kind of "vote buying" his Conservative party has criticized the Liberals for, as he announced a multimillion-dollar loan to Ford in ...
http://www.topix.com/world/canada/2008/09/can...
I certainly appears that way of buying votes, but from what I understand, this money was allocated in the last budget...it was already agreed upon. Even though it was already decided, the timing is sure funny.

Always remember though, the liberals have done it before and so have the PC's. Liberal PM Martin did the same thing announcing funding right before the election. If the NDP ever got in power, they'd ened up doing it too. All politicians do many of the same things.
Nightflyer

Canada

#4 Sep 5, 2008
Dorothy darlin wrote:
... 900 people lost their jobs when the plant was shut down last year, though some were hired on at the Ford plant in Oakville, Ont.
There were also reports that the feds were planning to announce funding for the GM plant in St. Catharines, Ont.... 1 comment
Related Topix: Welland, ON, Canada, Ontario, St Catharines, ON, Stephen Harper, Essex, ON, North America, Canada, World News
I say shame on Ford and GM. You don't hear of Toyota or Honda looking for a handout eh?

Some of those Ford workers who got hired at the Oakville plant were hired to make the new Ford Flex. Ha ha ha..what a joke, when I saw this vehicle unveiled at the Detroit auto show I thought..."Geesh, you got to be kidding! Ford thinks this will be a hit!!??"

Earlier this summer, news reports revealed that Ford had made 12,000 of these and only had sold 500 to that point!!!!

GM and Ford need to get the heads out of their azzes. Some models they have are great, nice looking etc...etc....but some I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.
epluribusunum

Hollywood, FL

#5 Sep 12, 2008
Nightflyer wrote:
<quoted text>
I say shame on Ford and GM. You don't hear of Toyota or Honda looking for a handout eh?
Thatís because these other automakers have played hardball with the parasite unions and held them back. Simply put, GM and FORD have huge overhead costs associated with labor, hence an intrinsically unprofitable product.

Fact is the legacy automakers are on a deathspiral brought on by short-sighted contracts they signed years back with the UAW and CAW. The sooner they close these plants down and fire every one of the pathetic slugs that works there, the better off Ontario and Canada will be.

Gos bless the robot and automation industries for making these laborers obsolete.
paul shykora

Calgary, Canada

#6 Sep 12, 2008
THEN...HELP Out our beloved JOHN DEERE,tooo,...toooooo booot!!...eh..LONG LIVE John Deere....eh...yada u.
Nightflyer

Bancroft, Canada

#7 Sep 12, 2008
epluribusunum wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatís because these other automakers have played hardball with the parasite unions and held them back. Simply put, GM and FORD have huge overhead costs associated with labor, hence an intrinsically unprofitable product.
Fact is the legacy automakers are on a deathspiral brought on by short-sighted contracts they signed years back with the UAW and CAW. The sooner they close these plants down and fire every one of the pathetic slugs that works there, the better off Ontario and Canada will be.
Gos bless the robot and automation industries for making these laborers obsolete.
I'll agree that a lot of the problem is unions and what they cost etc...

But there is some merit to the arguement, although it probably won't save them, that we allow every foreign car company to sell here but back in their own countries like Korea and Japan, every trade barrier is put up to disacourage buying our brands. It is unfair trading.

I used to work at the Honda plant in Alliston Ontario...worked for a subcontractor there. All I ever saw there was more production etc..and a company expanding with no lay offs in sight. They were even building a new engine palnt across the street when I left. Some things so good for this company that GM and Ford could learn from are....building quality and durable vehicles, fuel efficent models, and no unions!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sudbury Regional Hospital (Feb '09) Mar '15 Georgette Lee-Magin 2
Lady Antebellum Donates Music Instruments to Ca... Feb '15 Nancy79 1
News Newest Highlander enjoying life in the field Jan '15 Jennifer 1
News Five Southern Ontario hospitals to be closed; r... (Jan '14) Jan '14 no Wynne there 1
News Pan Am Games CEO Ian Troop fired (Jan '14) Jan '14 coal 1
News Arnprior Fire Trucks Corp. to Build New Pumper ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Red 1
News 'My Strange Addiction' introduces fans to a wom... (Mar '12) Jun '13 milwaukee69 63
More from around the web