On Victoria
Research This

Victoria, Canada

#368 Apr 18, 2013
Brexx wrote:
<quoted text>
Pressure to force who to do what? How about some specifics.
You have no idea just how much anti Victoria and BC comments there are on various web sites. There must be something culturally, economically, politically really wrong with the entire region for this number of negative comments. Even Victorians and BCers are complaining too. These will keep BC and Victoria forever playing back bench to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec and their major cities. The best thing that could happen to Victoria and BC is just too parachute the entire government and population of AB, SK, ON, and QC and have them run BC. Obviously we BCers are incapable or getting our game on. All we have to choose are BC Liberal, NDP, Conservative, Green franchise screw ups. The only logical choice to go way outside the BC gene pool.

http://www.anabellebf.com/2012/03/18/dont-mov...

Since: Apr 13

Victoria, Canada

#369 Apr 18, 2013
Research This wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea just how much anti Victoria and BC comments there are on various web sites. There must be something culturally, economically, politically really wrong with the entire region for this number of negative comments. Even Victorians and BCers are complaining too. These will keep BC and Victoria forever playing back bench to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec and their major cities. The best thing that could happen to Victoria and BC is just too parachute the entire government and population of AB, SK, ON, and QC and have them run BC. Obviously we BCers are incapable or getting our game on. All we have to choose are BC Liberal, NDP, Conservative, Green franchise screw ups. The only logical choice to go way outside the BC gene pool.
http://www.anabellebf.com/2012/03/18/dont-mov...
There are plenty of people in all provinces who are unhappy with their government for any number of reasons.
The main complaints about Victoria and Vancouver seem to be high cost of living and not enough high paying jobs.
I don't know what the government could do about that. Lots of people want to live here. That drives up rents and house prices and creates a lot of competition for available jobs. Thats just reality, its not the governments fault.
People don't come here for the money. They come here for the lifestyle. If its all about making money they go to Alberta.
People who think that a better government could turn Victoria into another Edmonton or Calgary being foolish. We don't have oil.
We Have Do Oil and Gas

Victoria, Canada

#370 Apr 18, 2013
Brexx wrote:
<quoted text>
There are plenty of people in all provinces who are unhappy with their government for any number of reasons.
The main complaints about Victoria and Vancouver seem to be high cost of living and not enough high paying jobs.
I don't know what the government could do about that. Lots of people want to live here. That drives up rents and house prices and creates a lot of competition for available jobs. Thats just reality, its not the governments fault.
People don't come here for the money. They come here for the lifestyle. If its all about making money they go to Alberta.
People who think that a better government could turn Victoria into another Edmonton or Calgary being foolish. We don't have oil.
That is not true about BC having no oil. I have seen BC Government chart map where millions and billions of units of oil and gas are marked. The entire Peace River north east is very similar physically and culturally to Alberta. Some of the people even said they wish to secede from BC and join Alberta. The other huge oil and gas deposits are around Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands), western Vancouver Island, northwest BC near Alaska, Fernie southeast BC, the area region around Whistler, etc.

The reason why BC is not sucking every drop and selling this gas and black gold to rising markets like China, India, Brazil, etc, is because the BC Eco Freak, others called them Eco Tard, politics and culture and some of the native allies are causing BC to miss the money gravy train, unlike Alberta, and Saskatchewan. Instead BC pumps and mines the tax paying citizens for spending money.

People in AB, SK would practically be cumming in their pants at this golden opportunity to get disgustingly rich. BC and Victoria, even Vancouver would say, "Oh no, we don't want your evil dirty oil and gas wealth, what about the sea bacteria and sea slugs?" Fine, the bacteria and slugs can pay BC people billions for their lives. Be Practical, sell every drop of oil and gas and then move the money into clean energy like solar, wind, ocean tidal power. BC becoming Alberta, Saskatchewan would mean more people wiping their butts with cash instead of toilet paper, more cash for everything your wild dreams could want. This BC principled poverty bit really lack style.

Since: Apr 13

Victoria, Canada

#371 Apr 18, 2013
We Have Do Oil and Gas wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not true about BC having no oil. I have seen BC Government chart map where millions and billions of units of oil and gas are marked. The entire Peace River north east is very similar physically and culturally to Alberta. Some of the people even said they wish to secede from BC and join Alberta. The other huge oil and gas deposits are around Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands), western Vancouver Island, northwest BC near Alaska, Fernie southeast BC, the area region around Whistler, etc.
The reason why BC is not sucking every drop and selling this gas and black gold to rising markets like China, India, Brazil, etc, is because the BC Eco Freak, others called them Eco Tard, politics and culture and some of the native allies are causing BC to miss the money gravy train, unlike Alberta, and Saskatchewan. Instead BC pumps and mines the tax paying citizens for spending money.
People in AB, SK would practically be cumming in their pants at this golden opportunity to get disgustingly rich. BC and Victoria, even Vancouver would say, "Oh no, we don't want your evil dirty oil and gas wealth, what about the sea bacteria and sea slugs?" Fine, the bacteria and slugs can pay BC people billions for their lives. Be Practical, sell every drop of oil and gas and then move the money into clean energy like solar, wind, ocean tidal power. BC becoming Alberta, Saskatchewan would mean more people wiping their butts with cash instead of toilet paper, more cash for everything your wild dreams could want. This BC principled poverty bit really lack style.
There is lots of NG in the northeast thats true, and there are plans in the works to pipe it to the coast and sell it to Asia. This is all good, but its unlikely to have much of an effect on Victoria.
As for the offshore, you are right, there are too many people in this area who would be totally against drilling there, so no government wants to let it happen.
Precisely BC Culture

Fremont, CA

#372 Apr 18, 2013
Brexx wrote:
<quoted text>
There is lots of NG in the northeast thats true, and there are plans in the works to pipe it to the coast and sell it to Asia. This is all good, but its unlikely to have much of an effect on Victoria.
As for the offshore, you are right, there are too many people in this area who would be totally against drilling there, so no government wants to let it happen.
Yes, what the hell!? It is like the coastal people of BC in Victoria, Vancouver, and all up and down the left coast exist to keep the rest of Canada from achieving greatness. The west coast functions as a big butt plug to keep oil, gas, mineral wealth from flowing into BC and the rest of Canada, from Asia and beyond. Thanks to these people, you, your kids, and most people you know will be forced to call McDonald's, Walmart, Thrifty Foods, and other low pay service jobs the best. Oh yeah, no oil, gas, mining income, but it is perfectly acceptable to sit on the ass and expect all sorts of free welfare and goodies to the useless. Just who is paying for all this free lunch?

Since: Apr 13

Victoria, Canada

#373 Apr 19, 2013
Precisely BC Culture wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, what the hell!? It is like the coastal people of BC in Victoria, Vancouver, and all up and down the left coast exist to keep the rest of Canada from achieving greatness. The west coast functions as a big butt plug to keep oil, gas, mineral wealth from flowing into BC and the rest of Canada, from Asia and beyond. Thanks to these people, you, your kids, and most people you know will be forced to call McDonald's, Walmart, Thrifty Foods, and other low pay service jobs the best. Oh yeah, no oil, gas, mining income, but it is perfectly acceptable to sit on the ass and expect all sorts of free welfare and goodies to the useless. Just who is paying for all this free lunch?
Vancouver is the second busiest port on the west coast of NA, so its not like nothing flows into BC.
Oil tankers have been hauling Alberta crude through the port of Vancouver for over 50 years. There are plans to double the capacity of that pipeline.
BC also ships a lot of coal to Asia - and lumber.
There are those activists who want to stop everything - logging, mining, oil drilling, dam building - and a lot of them are not even from BC.
Fortunately they are not usually successful.
Victorian Albertan

Victoria, Canada

#374 Apr 19, 2013
Brexx wrote:
<quoted text>
Vancouver is the second busiest port on the west coast of NA, so its not like nothing flows into BC.
Oil tankers have been hauling Alberta crude through the port of Vancouver for over 50 years. There are plans to double the capacity of that pipeline.
BC also ships a lot of coal to Asia - and lumber.
There are those activists who want to stop everything - logging, mining, oil drilling, dam building - and a lot of them are not even from BC.
Fortunately they are not usually successful.
YES! I am so glad not every Victoria or BC person is a closed minded, poverty loving, slacker, tree hugging, granola eater. I would love nothing more than turn BC prosperous like Alberta and Saskatchewan. When that happens and rivers of money are literally dripping off of everybody, I would be partying in the streets along with everyone else. Put oil and gas drilling rigs all along the BC coast and sell all the oil, gas, minerals, timber to the money bags in China, India, Brazil, Russia, and whoever else not affected by the world economy slump. We can become money bags like them. I would rather live rich than dead beat style. There are factions of BC and Victoria people who are not anti development, anti success, anti wealth.
Pathetic Bad

Clearwater, Canada

#375 Apr 19, 2013
I read in the news that even Manitoba now has a lower unemployment than BC and it is not one of the top performing provinces in Canada. Ontario is facing an economic slump and it is still better than BC. Victoria leading the province of BC is an embarrassment to Canada. How can a province once 3rd best in Canada decline so far? No political party and the business owners and decision makers in BC have ever outperformed Alberta, Ontario and most of the other provinces. The people themselves and their politicians are all completely lacking. I would think this is humiliating.

Since: Apr 13

Victoria, Canada

#376 Apr 20, 2013
Pathetic Bad wrote:
I read in the news that even Manitoba now has a lower unemployment than BC and it is not one of the top performing provinces in Canada. Ontario is facing an economic slump and it is still better than BC. Victoria leading the province of BC is an embarrassment to Canada. How can a province once 3rd best in Canada decline so far? No political party and the business owners and decision makers in BC have ever outperformed Alberta, Ontario and most of the other provinces. The people themselves and their politicians are all completely lacking. I would think this is humiliating.
How is ON better than BC? They are a have-not province with higher unemployment.
Manitoba is also a have-not province. They have lower unemployment probably because everybody is next door working in SK.
There is nothing humiliating about BC - except maybe when the NDP are in power. There is a reason why people are willing to pay such high prices for real estate here.
Its A FAct

Denver, CO

#377 Apr 20, 2013
What the other guy and some of the other posters are saying is that it seem very consistent that BC and Victoria best is still no match for Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan, others' worse. Just because Victoria, BC can some how pull off a winner from time to time doesn't mean it has its game mojo back. Consistency is where it counts.

Since: Apr 13

Victoria, Canada

#378 Apr 20, 2013
Its A FAct wrote:
What the other guy and some of the other posters are saying is that it seem very consistent that BC and Victoria best is still no match for Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan, others' worse. Just because Victoria, BC can some how pull off a winner from time to time doesn't mean it has its game mojo back. Consistency is where it counts.
This is meaningless nonsense. Have you ever actually lived in SK or AB or Victoria? It doesn't sound like it.
Victoria doesn't have to "pull off a winner from time to time". Victoria doesn't have to have oil gushing out of the ground and pay super high wages to attract people.
People want to live here because its "nice" and they will accept lower wages and higher real estate prices to be able to live here.
Victorian BC Nutbars

Surrey, Canada

#379 Apr 21, 2013
The beautiful environment won't pay your bills or achieve your dreams unless you BC bring cash, lots. The off shore oil, gas, mineral, forest money will fill the BC treasury. Leaving all the Asian, South American wealth on the table untouched is frustrating and F'd up. It is like sending back a winning lotto ticket or super model.

Since: Apr 13

Victoria, Canada

#380 Apr 21, 2013
Victorian BC Nutbars wrote:
The beautiful environment won't pay your bills or achieve your dreams unless you BC bring cash, lots. The off shore oil, gas, mineral, forest money will fill the BC treasury. Leaving all the Asian, South American wealth on the table untouched is frustrating and F'd up. It is like sending back a winning lotto ticket or super model.
I'm all for developing and exporting our natural resources, and BC does a lot of that, but it doesn't affect Victoria that much in terms of job opportunities or better pay, etc.
If you want to cash in on the BC resource industry you have to go to where the action is. Its not around Victoria.
Victoria is what it is - a tourist town, a government town, a university town, a naval base and a ship yard, and a retirement town, and a damn nice place to live.
It will never be a resource boom town.
If you want a boom town move to one - Fort St John, Fort Mac, Edmonton - take your pick.
Spinoffs Do Exist

Bucharest, Romania

#382 Apr 22, 2013
Brexx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all for developing and exporting our natural resources, and BC does a lot of that, but it doesn't affect Victoria that much in terms of job opportunities or better pay, etc.
If you want to cash in on the BC resource industry you have to go to where the action is. Its not around Victoria.
Victoria is what it is - a tourist town, a government town, a university town, a naval base and a ship yard, and a retirement town, and a damn nice place to live.
It will never be a resource boom town.
If you want a boom town move to one - Fort St John, Fort Mac, Edmonton - take your pick.
There will always be economic, job spin offs. Victoria and Vancouver Island is almost sitting right next to 100's of millions of units of oil and gas around Queen Charlotte and Vancouver Island. Being the nearest major city next to these potential next ocean oil fields, where do you think the administrative, support, entertainment, contractor services will be supplied? Besides, as more and more oil, gas, mineral wealth roles into Victoria and Vancouver Island, there will be a gradual culture shift to something similar to Edmonton and Calgary. Nobody in their right mind wants to go back to being limited and broke poor, once you tasted the rich life.
smart and talented

United States

#383 Apr 22, 2013
Spinoffs Do Exist wrote:
<quoted text>
There will always be economic, job spin offs. Victoria and Vancouver Island is almost sitting right next to 100's of millions of units of oil and gas around Queen Charlotte and Vancouver Island. Being the nearest major city next to these potential next ocean oil fields, where do you think the administrative, support, entertainment, contractor services will be supplied? Besides, as more and more oil, gas, mineral wealth roles into Victoria and Vancouver Island, there will be a gradual culture shift to something similar to Edmonton and Calgary. Nobody in their right mind wants to go back to being limited and broke poor, once you tasted the rich life.
Why is it the Victorians, BCers who leave to go to Europe, Asia, South America, and other places seem to be so much more smarter than the ones left behind? We should gather them all back to BC and Victoria and have them governing the province. I don't think BC can survive another decade of BC incompetence due to its deep rooted culture. Decades of BC Social Credit, NDP, Liberal parties have crippled the BC economy. If the BC Green and Conservative parties become government, they will finish off the left over pieces from the others. There won't be even dust remaining.

Since: Apr 13

Victoria, Canada

#385 Apr 23, 2013
Spinoffs Do Exist wrote:
<quoted text>
There will always be economic, job spin offs. Victoria and Vancouver Island is almost sitting right next to 100's of millions of units of oil and gas around Queen Charlotte and Vancouver Island. Being the nearest major city next to these potential next ocean oil fields, where do you think the administrative, support, entertainment, contractor services will be supplied? Besides, as more and more oil, gas, mineral wealth roles into Victoria and Vancouver Island, there will be a gradual culture shift to something similar to Edmonton and Calgary. Nobody in their right mind wants to go back to being limited and broke poor, once you tasted the rich life.
People who think that life in Edmonton or Calgary is the "rich life" should go there and learn something instead of sitting around here badmouthing Victoria.
If those offshore reserves are ever developed it will be many many years from now. I'll bet never.
Have Friends in Oil Sands

Victoria, Canada

#386 Apr 23, 2013
Brexx wrote:
<quoted text>
People who think that life in Edmonton or Calgary is the "rich life" should go there and learn something instead of sitting around here badmouthing Victoria.
If those offshore reserves are ever developed it will be many many years from now. I'll bet never.
I have friends working in the Alberta oil sands. One of them said the cashiers at Walmart, Canadian Tire, Tim Horton's, McDonald's, Petro Canada, Mohawk Oil, etc earns around $15, 16, 17 per hour near Fort MacMurray AB. The other people making big oil, gas money is forcing up the pay for all the other side jobs and services. The same cashiers in Victoria, on Vancouver Island get paid about $10.25-12.00 per hour. The cheap ass owners and managers would even complain about that wage level and want to inport replacement cheap slave foreign workers too. All of BC has a culture of cheap.

As for all the people whinging on Topix, the company likes that becuase it is generating more reader traffic to their sites where they can earn more online advertising revenue. Did you noticed all the flasshy ads on the sides? It is business. Any kind of good or bad attention is some kind of attention with the reverse psychology, sociology thing.
Temporary Thrills

Victoria, Canada

#387 Apr 23, 2013
nice place to visit wrote:
I agree with some of the people's comments about Victoria Canada. The city is a nice place to "visit" for about 1-2 weeks.
Yes, German dude(tte) or whatever you are, I too wish that I was "visiting" Victoria for 1-2 weeks of vacation fun.

Since: Apr 13

Victoria, Canada

#388 Apr 23, 2013
Have Friends in Oil Sands wrote:
<quoted text>
I have friends working in the Alberta oil sands. One of them said the cashiers at Walmart, Canadian Tire, Tim Horton's, McDonald's, Petro Canada, Mohawk Oil, etc earns around $15, 16, 17 per hour near Fort MacMurray AB. The other people making big oil, gas money is forcing up the pay for all the other side jobs and services. The same cashiers in Victoria, on Vancouver Island get paid about $10.25-12.00 per hour. The cheap ass owners and managers would even complain about that wage level and want to inport replacement cheap slave foreign workers too. All of BC has a culture of cheap.
As for all the people whinging on Topix, the company likes that becuase it is generating more reader traffic to their sites where they can earn more online advertising revenue. Did you noticed all the flasshy ads on the sides? It is business. Any kind of good or bad attention is some kind of attention with the reverse psychology, sociology thing.
Its not about the culture. Employers pay what they have to to get the personnel they need. To attract people to hellholes like Fort Mac you have to offer extra high wages at all levels. In nice places where everybody wants to live, like Victoria, employers don't have to entice people with high wages. No employer pays more than they have to no matter where you are.
Wheres The Staff

United States

#389 Apr 23, 2013
Brexx wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not about the culture. Employers pay what they have to to get the personnel they need. To attract people to hellholes like Fort Mac you have to offer extra high wages at all levels. In nice places where everybody wants to live, like Victoria, employers don't have to entice people with high wages. No employer pays more than they have to no matter where you are.
If Victoria is so beautiful and adaquately paid, have you noticed almost all the Tim Horton's, Burger King, Petro Canada are foreign work visa staff? Where are all the Canadian born workers who are very attracted to come to work for monkey peanuts in Victoria? Every week I go into a Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire, it seems to be different staff from last month. There are reasons why staff rotate in and out of employers like toilet paper rolls in BC. They have staff turnovers faster than my female friends have PMS period mood swings. As a worker and customer, I can't even be sure who I will deal with from week to week, month to month. It's almost like going to war and watching training buddies get picked off left and right. Everyone I see all over seemed very disgruntled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Victoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Victoria really a nice place to live? (Nov '10) 2 hr Do You Belive 1,888
News Christy Clark gets first chance to govern but h... Sep 6 glowingfartzwesee... 7
Advice on Victoria (Oct '07) Aug 29 weird or what 20
News Harvey's Texas flooding to cause gas price hike... Aug 29 Harry Ash - Repub... 1
News Tips for Moving to Victoria BC (Feb '15) Aug 23 Victoria Cheao an... 29
News Trudeau on Vancouver Island for summer social, ... Aug '17 Thats Crap 2
News Saanich in no hurry to open doors to pot shops Aug '17 albeahorsespetootie 1
More from around the web