Comments
281 - 300 of 1,148 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago
Do Not MOVE to Victoria

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#325
Feb 23, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

1

It is like the others say. There will be 200+job applicants for every 1 Victoria job vacancy. High, medium, and low jobs don't matter, they are all run the same way. If you are too wealthy to need work and money to pay your family's expenses, then you can lazilly wander around enjoying the scenery. The ordinary people are too busy struggling to make ends meet in a region where even good times are bad times. The slave pay and extortion level expenses will join up to cripple you. At least elsewhere, you will have a slight fighting chance to rise above your circumstances. Victoria have almost zero chance.
Concentrated in victoria

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#326
Feb 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Do Not MOVE to Victoria wrote:
It is like the others say. There will be 200+job applicants for every 1 Victoria job vacancy. High, medium, and low jobs don't matter, they are all run the same way. If you are too wealthy to need work and money to pay your family's expenses, then you can lazilly wander around enjoying the scenery. The ordinary people are too busy struggling to make ends meet in a region where even good times are bad times. The slave pay and extortion level expenses will join up to cripple you. At least elsewhere, you will have a slight fighting chance to rise above your circumstances. Victoria have almost zero chance.
There are crazy, weirdo, silly freaks and A-holes everywhere. It just seems more concentrated in the Victoria region because of their culture and ways of thinking about the world in general. You are too good and they can't believe you may actually fit all their requests in jobs or dating situations, even business situations. You are too perfect and that is why you never get considered for anything. They want to go with the messed up lower quality whack job because they are less perfect and don't fit their bill. Afterwards they get all stressed out and angry due to their bad decision making and policies. It is the BC, Vancouver Island, and Victoria way to all decision making processes.
so much and so little

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#327
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Victoria has so much potential that is wasted because of the slow dumb down culture. There is hardly any common sense or any sense anywhere. It soaks into everyone and everything from top to bottom. You could say the economic, political, social engine of Greater Victoria is permanently running at less than full capacity and the performance shows. No amount of propaganda makeup is going to pretty up a pig into a supermodel. All these comments from people on "the ground" must means there is at least a spark of truth to these comments.
Land of Idiots

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#328
Feb 26, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I have heard of other people who were born and raised in Victoria and people from other places alluding to the region as being the Land of Idiots. The totality of everything would most likely drive anyone who is educated, experienced, enthusiastic, ambitious, and motivated to go nuts like the other local nuts. There should be a warning sign at the ferry terminals, airports, and the downtown harbour saying, "welcome to Victoria, may contain nuts". I thing many people are allegic to nuts and nutty ways of decison making.
below the surface

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#329
Feb 26, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Land of Idiots wrote:
I have heard of other people who were born and raised in Victoria and people from other places alluding to the region as being the Land of Idiots. The totality of everything would most likely drive anyone who is educated, experienced, enthusiastic, ambitious, and motivated to go nuts like the other local nuts. There should be a warning sign at the ferry terminals, airports, and the downtown harbour saying, "welcome to Victoria, may contain nuts". I thing many people are allegic to nuts and nutty ways of decison making.
They don't tell you all the dirty parts beneath the surface of the culture and the way the system works. Oh the weather is so nice and lets forget about what is hidden away until it is too late. That kind of thinking is unwise and will get one into trouble. It is too little and too late to find out the deal isn't as sweat as one is lead to believe. It would be in anyone's best interest to look at the whole big picture and not jump to conclusions based on the superficial surface.
frustrating crazy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#330
Mar 1, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I went to several job fairs around Greater Victoria and it is 1000:10 odds of landing a good or even a shitty job in this restricted town. Even good and skilled is not good enough for the dumb decision makers. They prefer to hire cheap idiots who always screw up their orders and then try to do inept damage control. Don't move to victoria unless you BC bring cash. Everyone and everything is dumb down, slow, limited, and frustrating. You will be too smart and too good for them to relate well to you.
So Much Frustrations

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#331
Mar 2, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

frustrating crazy wrote:
I went to several job fairs around Greater Victoria and it is 1000:10 odds of landing a good or even a shitty job in this restricted town. Even good and skilled is not good enough for the dumb decision makers. They prefer to hire cheap idiots who always screw up their orders and then try to do inept damage control. Don't move to victoria unless you BC bring cash. Everyone and everything is dumb down, slow, limited, and frustrating. You will be too smart and too good for them to relate well to you.
The Greater Victoria employers will tell you that you are too good or not good enough to work for them, for their cheap pay. They then whine all over the place about can't find any workers who stay. They ignore all the job applicants and go to schools to try to get staff. When the schools graduate more workers, they ignore those workers too and then whine some more about no workers around to hire. Some workers find out their employers are really psychotic idiots and quit before they get fired. Most Victoria people are slow and indecisive. They miss dead lines and look mentally stunted and they don't seem to care about appearing foolish. Why do you think the place is generally slow and not too happening? Go to another major Canadian city, especially the ones who are the top cultural, economic performers that won't waste your time and enthusiasm.
So Much Frustrations

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#332
Mar 2, 2013
 

Judged:

7

6

1

Always pre check your potential or current employer on web sites like www.ratemyemployer.ca , www.topix.com , yelp. You don't want to get stuck with a bad employer as nobody should have to deal with moron stress. There are bad employers and work situations in any city, but in Victoria, it is more important to do your homework because the crazy culture can't be avoided. It will screw you up if you give it a chance to do so. I forget the mention these important web sites that everyone should look at. It is like the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Report, Consumer Protection, etc.
Much Harm

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#333
Mar 3, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

2

So Much Frustrations wrote:
Always pre check your potential or current employer on web sites like www.ratemyemployer.ca , www.topix.com , yelp. You don't want to get stuck with a bad employer as nobody should have to deal with moron stress. There are bad employers and work situations in any city, but in Victoria, it is more important to do your homework because the crazy culture can't be avoided. It will screw you up if you give it a chance to do so. I forget the mention these important web sites that everyone should look at. It is like the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Report, Consumer Protection, etc.
There seems to be so very many people out of work or long term under employed in Victoria region. High pay, medium pay, low pay jobs are all in short supply. 100s of people applying for every 1 job is crazy. Most of the jobs are not even good jobs. That is the most crazy part. Calgary, Edmonton would and the cities in Saskatchewan would hire your for your abilities and performance. Victoria and BC would try to hire you for how mentally stupid and cheap you are, results don't matter. You may be too good and competent; they can't have that. The employers in Victoria cause their own short sighted labour problems with their lack common sense decision making styles.
Slack Slow Dumb

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#334
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

These 3 words about describes all things in Victoria. I have rarely met a bunch of people so clueless, procrastinating, and repressed before. There are some Victorians who are not this way, but they are rare. They are so dull, indecisive, and set in their ways which leads to almost no opportunities, lack of change, which leads to lack of wealth. The area must import all the similar people from all over the world to join the local Victoria variety?
blueberry

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#335
Mar 6, 2013
 

Judged:

4

2

1

to 'Life Is Not a Candy Box':

I completely agree with you. Victoria is unaffordable. There are reasons for Victoria's lofty real estate values-(There is a $7-$10 billion illicit drug trade in BC, although no one seems to want to talk about where all that money goes.) The mountains and ocean are glorious. It is a special place, and people are willing to pay a premium for that. But please. Let's get real here. Victoria has few major head offices, few jobs that pay enough to justify $1 million home prices, and in reality, its home values are artificially inflated. So in the end, Victoria is a bubble market propped up by illicit money and land shortages and has been for years. Anyone with a brain knows it. Apart from any 'old' money there, most people are working at minimum wage jobs, do not own a home, only rent. Cannot afford vacations, cottages, travel or any of the other wonderful joys of life. Move to Victoria if you want your quality of life to end, you will spend your days working for crappy wages to pay absurdly high rent and cost of living, stuck on an island prison surrounded by deadbeats or people who think they are better than you.
unacceptable

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#336
Mar 7, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

No, I am not a big supporter of the Victoria BC, Vancouver Island way of "cheap, slave driving, and bitchy picky". Their brand of "cheap, slave driving, and bitchy picky" makes any other metro regions' version seem like a pleasurable vacation. I would want to be medicated and in therapy just to gloss over the Victorian lives we are all forced to live. There's always room for one more if any of you don't do your research about quality of life in Victoria and then relocate here in a clueless state.
Victoria Sucks

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#337
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

7

4

3

It depends on what you think of as good climate. If mild balmy grey skies 6-7 days of the week sounds good, I'll take the freezing cold, even snow, but the sun is shining!

Victoria is awesome if you :

1. Operate a grow up
2. Are from India or Asia
3. Like being unemployed or enjoy earning low wages

Victoria is at first glance a beautiful city. It is surrounded by sweeping vistas and a dramatic skyline. The climate is moderate. Spend some time here and scratch the surface and it becomes far less attractive. It is a city that is narrow minded and shallow. The people are characterless, flakey and disingenuous. Victoria is the scam capital of N. America, a skill set for which the local population is particularly adept.

The are times when I am certain that Victoria is something straight out of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. It is a cold place. People in the same office/ business do not interact of share information, they do not network or help each other. I previously worked in Toronto before Victoria and now work in Toronto again, and the people are SO friendly, enjoy sharing wealth of information, everyone helps everyone out, common goals and so on, but not in Victoria. It's like they have this teenage mentality.

The criminal element is growing. The black economy is larger than most people realize. It is the only city in N America where you will find someone begging on just about every street corner in the downtown core.

You don't meet people of substance here. You meet flakes.

VICTORIA IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE MOST DREARY AND BORING PLACES I HAVE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO CALL HOME.

BUT, NOT ANYMORE!! Amen!
Truth Will Set You Free

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#338
Mar 9, 2013
 

Judged:

5

1

1

Victoria Sucks wrote:
It depends on what you think of as good climate. If mild balmy grey skies 6-7 days of the week sounds good, I'll take the freezing cold, even snow, but the sun is shining!
Victoria is awesome if you :
1. Operate a grow up
2. Are from India or Asia
3. Like being unemployed or enjoy earning low wages
Victoria is at first glance a beautiful city. It is surrounded by sweeping vistas and a dramatic skyline. The climate is moderate. Spend some time here and scratch the surface and it becomes far less attractive. It is a city that is narrow minded and shallow. The people are characterless, flakey and disingenuous. Victoria is the scam capital of N. America, a skill set for which the local population is particularly adept.
The are times when I am certain that Victoria is something straight out of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. It is a cold place. People in the same office/ business do not interact of share information, they do not network or help each other. I previously worked in Toronto before Victoria and now work in Toronto again, and the people are SO friendly, enjoy sharing wealth of information, everyone helps everyone out, common goals and so on, but not in Victoria. It's like they have this teenage mentality.
The criminal element is growing. The black economy is larger than most people realize. It is the only city in N America where you will find someone begging on just about every street corner in the downtown core.
You don't meet people of substance here. You meet flakes.
VICTORIA IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE MOST DREARY AND BORING PLACES I HAVE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO CALL HOME.
BUT, NOT ANYMORE!! Amen!
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE! Many of the local Victoria citizens themselves hate how their city has developed or underdeveloped. They know the clueless visitors and new immigrants are being jerked around because they don't know any better. Your college or university education and work experience qualifies you for a higher paying job in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, Saskatchewan. BC, the same skill set qualifies you for slave cheap labour work. Some local politicians give a positive speech about how much potential the Victoria region and BC has. Behind the scenes in the back halls in private conversation, the same politicians say BC and Victoria economics is F"ed" up and crazy. The people and culture are too dumb to know it even when you are trying to make them rich and help them. There you have to truth from the experienced propagandists.
this is nutz

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#339
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

1

The crazy Victorian HR, supervisors, managers, owners several times told me that I was over and under qualified to work their jobs that they advertised. They were covert and overt. I was comparing them to Albertans, and Saskatchewaneans and Ontarians. BC people are sure unfathomable. They can't be deciphered using comment logic. I will say this and add it to other people. BC means bring lots of your own cash. You are going to have a nasty time trying to make some locally.
dump

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#340
Mar 16, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

With post secondary education, I still can't find a worthy job with worthy pay in Victoria. I even applied at the schools I attended. The answer is always, "NO!" Imagine the answers if you didn't know anyone in Victoria. This city is such a waste of time and life as the years slip away in mediocrity. Save yourself the hassle and frustration and just go to another Canadian city or province to work and live.
Do a Test

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#341
Mar 16, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I once did a little experiment with a made up application for a job. I took the material of someone I knew and turn his resume into my resume with his permission. Of course I had to change some of the details of his that was confidential. I sent it off to some HR departments along with my actual true resume and then mixed the names around. I think they would just make something up like "it was sunny, rainy, they weren't in the mood, don't feel like doing any work that day, or whatever" reason to just say none of the job applicants were worthy. My suspicions seems to be confirmed. Victorians and Victoria HR people really are clueless idiots who wouldn't know a good thing if it bit them on the bum. Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Toronto, Ottawa and all the rest probably would at least have a clue.
someone thinking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#342
Mar 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Doing a test on potential employer HR to see how they respond or not respond is smart. It takes some brains to be tactical. I concur that Victoria is the land of the mentally lost. Many people get the impression the area is in its own separated warped universe that hardly matches the rest of the world. I have rarely met any people so foggy headed, indecisive, and repressed anywhere before. There have been other places that were contenders, but not close to Victorian levels. When Victorians in charge do make a decision, it is probably the bad decision and they end up having to back track to clean up their own created messes. That is what you can expect besides being low balled and cheap.
You R Not Alone In This

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#343
Mar 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

You are not the only one experiencing this weird characteristic of the Victoria regional culture. There are plenty of locals and other people who have mentioned this a lot. I imagine the sick culture is like being immersed in crude black oil. You can't easily wash it off of you and need to do some tough scrubbing to get it off. Everything in Victoria is a bewildering contradiction of "yes but no, go but stop, decisive but indecisive, live but be dead, clear head but be dopey, crazy but sane, build it but don't build it, do something but not do anything". You start to get the idea about politics, money, social life, economics, and your future prospects in Victoria?
Clear Sign of Insanity

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#344
Mar 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

You R Not Alone In This wrote:
You are not the only one experiencing this weird characteristic of the Victoria regional culture. There are plenty of locals and other people who have mentioned this a lot. I imagine the sick culture is like being immersed in crude black oil. You can't easily wash it off of you and need to do some tough scrubbing to get it off. Everything in Victoria is a bewildering contradiction of "yes but no, go but stop, decisive but indecisive, live but be dead, clear head but be dopey, crazy but sane, build it but don't build it, do something but not do anything". You start to get the idea about politics, money, social life, economics, and your future prospects in Victoria?
I think it was scientist Albert Einstein or some other really smart person who said, "Doing things the same way and expecting different results is a sign of insanity." Oh yes, there are signs of this all over the Victoria area. You just can't avoid it. If you watch how the people behave, talk, what they say, don't say, their body language, you will start to see things that are clearly insane or at least totally lacking in common sense. All of Victoria's social, economic, job market, political, societal problems and deficiencies are rooted in the whacked culture. What ever they are doing doesn't seem to be working in their integration into the rest of the world. Hence, the referral to Vancouver Island prison because Victoria is on Vancouver Island, a geography lesson for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Victoria Discussions

Search the Victoria Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Canada Has Too Many Immigrants 13 hr factions society 2
Is Victoria really a nice place to live? (Nov '10) Sun Corruption and Ne... 1,043
Hitchhiking robot charms its way across Canada Aug 17 William 3
Why Victoria Chiropractors Choose BookMyCity Aug 12 heathw12 1
Kim Proctor: Teen's Body Found Burned in Victoria (Mar '10) Aug 12 BCCoaster 1,868
Rock Bay Girls Aug 6 always prentious 2
140729205754-pkg-moos-hitchhiking-robot-0000230... Aug 3 Injured cyclist 1
•••
•••