On Victoria
No Fun City

Kamloops, Canada

#304 Jan 14, 2013
Victoria Working Sucks wrote:
Having a need to work for a living in Victoria is horrible. They are basically cheap and abusive as a prevalent employment culture, unlike most places in Alberta, Ontario and other places in Canada. BC employers don't usually treat staff as nice as Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, etc. Working in Victoria BC is especially like working for Scrooge. Of course if you are rich and independent with no dependencies, others bow to you instead of you to them.
Owners, managers, supervisors will claim you are over qualified because they don't want to pay fair wages for good quality staff. They will end up hiring incompetent retards who always screw up. At the end, they will grudgingly hire the best screw ups possible and give them the higher wages you deserve if they had hired you at the beginning. Good workers end up with no work or cheap crappy paid work and the undeserving end up with the good jobs and pay. This maybe you new reality in Victoria if you blindly move.
I applied to various jobs in Victoria I know that I am qualified to do. All I got was a lot of run around about being over qualified or under qualified. They would probably have hired me on the spot in any other major Canadian city region with some common sense and brains? Victoria culture makes the region a frustrating bad circus. The mental asylum inmates are running the show.
More Fun Past

United States

#305 Jan 15, 2013
Victoria seemed a lot more festive and fun in the past pre 2007. After the 2008 world financial collapse, the quality of life in Victoria has gone down. The downtown core of the region is dead quiet on Friday and Saturday nights. The outlying region is even more dead and quiet. It is like everyone is too poor and emotionally drained to be in a sociable mood. There is a sense of doom and gloom hanging over the Greater Victoria region.
there is something about

Victoria, Canada

#306 Jan 16, 2013
Yes, there is something about Victoria. You can sense it as soon as you plunge into the regional culture. It is there but no blatantly in your face like a full grown male elephant. It is subtle and insidious. You will sense the uptight, socially cliquey, economic repression, and restriction in everything you do and everyone you meet in Victoria. Only a small minority number of citizens are not like this.
stuffy

Victoria, Canada

#307 Jan 21, 2013
Victoria is as the others say, boring, uptight, broke poor, and stuffy, with limited development and proseperity potential. You will waste your time, money, talents, and enthusiasm.
A Bad Joke

United States

#308 Jan 25, 2013
There seems to be not enough jobs at any level to go around to the hordes of Victoria unemployed or soon to be unemployed in Greater Victoria. There are ads everywhere on Craigslist, Used Victoria-Everywhere, Kijiji from people looking for almost non existent work. Most of the time, the jobs that are available will be cheap and abusive. You better check out your employer on ratemyemployer. Victorians who are trapped here for various reasons want to leave but can't. You from other places want to go to Victoria to live, not just visit!?
something interesting

United States

#309 Jan 26, 2013
I came across a blog article from some Montreal young woman who commented that Vancouver BC and Victoria BC are insanely expensive for all living expenses, no jobs of any kind, few available jobs there are cheap. The harsh living conditions, frustrations, and disappointments are driving good talented people away. She said BC is headed towards a people and economic disaster.

http://www.anabellebf.com/2012/03/18/dont-mov...
BC Bring Cash

United States

#310 Jan 30, 2013
Victoria is probably worse than other of the larger Canadian cities for jobs. The culture and system is more uptight and restrictive than others? You can be qualified and experienced as they want and get something in a place like Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec, etc. Victoria is always oh no not you, as others have opinionated more than once. BC means bring cash, lots of it. The wages in BC are low and the expenses are high with all the various taxes, fees, levies. AB has a lot less taxes, fees, levies and the wages are much higher. You can live well and save money in AB, but not so much in BC.
BC Victoria Way

United States

#311 Jan 30, 2013
BC Bring Cash wrote:
Victoria is probably worse than other of the larger Canadian cities for jobs. The culture and system is more uptight and restrictive than others? You can be qualified and experienced as they want and get something in a place like Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec, etc. Victoria is always oh no not you, as others have opinionated more than once. BC means bring cash, lots of it. The wages in BC are low and the expenses are high with all the various taxes, fees, levies. AB has a lot less taxes, fees, levies and the wages are much higher. You can live well and save money in AB, but not so much in BC.
The weird thing about Victoria employment and social culture is they will claim you are too good for the cheap and go with the most dumb worker and date they can find and then wonder why the results are so bad. Then they promote or give a pay raise to the lazy and incompetent, hoping the results will be better. They could have gone with the good candidates in first place and save a lot of wasted time, money, and stress.
Can B Fun City

Kamloops, Canada

#312 Feb 2, 2013
I would turn Greater Victoria into Las Vegas and clear cut all the uptight, poor, anti money, repressive policies and social culture. Flashy lights, topless showgirls, gambling, cheap food and drinks are all cool. There maybe more jobs for the people to help make their lives easier, more fulfilling. Scrap all the fake morality of Victoria and lets show anyone "the money". Victoria and BC is currently a "socialist, eco terrorist environmentalist hell hole".
it is true

United States

#313 Feb 5, 2013
something interesting wrote:
I came across a blog article from some Montreal young woman who commented that Vancouver BC and Victoria BC are insanely expensive for all living expenses, no jobs of any kind, few available jobs there are cheap. The harsh living conditions, frustrations, and disappointments are driving good talented people away. She said BC is headed towards a people and economic disaster.
http://www.anabellebf.com/2012/03/18/dont-mov...
The Victoria region economy and social culture is not that good even in good times. Now that bad times are here, it is even less tolerable. The way they do things, everything, in Victoria is slow, confusing, and frustrating.

"You are exactly qualified but we don't want you because you are so good. It is hard to believe you are this impressive. You are good and probably don't want to be with us for the cheap wages we are offering you, anyway? We will pick some cheaper useless ones and pay them less. The cheap useless ones are not performing well and the results are a real mess. We will have to pay them more money and promote them to do a better job. Oh no, not you. Whay can't we find any good and cheap?"

This crazy process then repeats endlessly for jobs and social dating. I would trust a manager from Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Quebec City, Regina, Saskatoon, Halifax, St. John's, and even Vancouver BC before I trust and respect one from Victoria BC.
Panicking

Canada

#314 Feb 10, 2013
I moved here 7 months ago... and I still don't have a job. I am bilingual, I have worked in several Canadian cities, I am educated, but nobody around here seems to care! Yes, the weather is great and the city is beautiful, but I really don't know what to do anymore. I certainly don't want to be a 30 year old housewife, nor a Walmart employee... especially with the skills that I own.
Zombie Town

Victoria, Canada

#315 Feb 10, 2013
Panicking wrote:
I moved here 7 months ago... and I still don't have a job. I am bilingual, I have worked in several Canadian cities, I am educated, but nobody around here seems to care! Yes, the weather is great and the city is beautiful, but I really don't know what to do anymore. I certainly don't want to be a 30 year old housewife, nor a Walmart employee... especially with the skills that I own.
Have you noticed the born Victoria locals and others who lived in Victoria too long all have cranky, poor ass, uptight, unsociable looks on their faces? Anyone would be like this if they were kept down, frustrated, bored, and poor for too long. All the peoples' skills are good enough for Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, and other cities, but you are never good enough for a dumpy last rate hole like Victoria? All the negative Victoria comments on these Topix sites are all true. Everyone must do homework research or end up with a lemon piece of junk. Victoria is a big lemon.
cheap ops in vic

Victoria, Canada

#316 Feb 10, 2013
Panicking wrote:
I moved here 7 months ago... and I still don't have a job. I am bilingual, I have worked in several Canadian cities, I am educated, but nobody around here seems to care! Yes, the weather is great and the city is beautiful, but I really don't know what to do anymore. I certainly don't want to be a 30 year old housewife, nor a Walmart employee... especially with the skills that I own.
There are plenty of cheap work opportunities in Victoria. You don't have to work for Walmart. You can try to get a job at McDondald's, Burger King, Subway, DQ, Canadian Tire, Safeway, Save On Foods, Quiznos, Taco Time, Tim Horotn's, Domino's, Thrifty Foods, Home Depot, Rona, Esso, Petro Canada, Chevron, Shell, London Drugs, Future Shop, Superstore, Costco, Staples, A&W, Hudson's Bay Company, Fairway Markets, The Markets, Country Grocer, Dollar Stores, Home Hardware, Shoppers Drug Mart, etc. People do these cheap jobs while going to school and continue to work at them after graduation with lots of student debt and no real jobs.
do your homework

Toronto, Canada

#317 Feb 15, 2013
In reply to 'Cheap ops in Vic'

WHO in their right mind would want to take a minimum wage job working retail at any of the places you have listed!
When you are bilingual and educated, you will set your sights higher than minimum wage. The trouble with Victoria is that THERE ARE NO JOBS people!

So, to 'PANICKING", I would cut your losses now and move back to where you came from. The mountains won't pay your bills or provide you with the quality of life you are looking for. Victoria is ok for retirement, but other than that, it sucks!
desperate got to do what

Victoria, Canada

#319 Feb 15, 2013
do your homework wrote:
In reply to 'Cheap ops in Vic'
WHO in their right mind would want to take a minimum wage job working retail at any of the places you have listed!
When you are bilingual and educated, you will set your sights higher than minimum wage. The trouble with Victoria is that THERE ARE NO JOBS people!
So, to 'PANICKING", I would cut your losses now and move back to where you came from. The mountains won't pay your bills or provide you with the quality of life you are looking for. Victoria is ok for retirement, but other than that, it sucks!
Yes, who of sound mind want to volunteer to get ripped off? Unfortunately, the locals who can't jump off the sinking island are stuck with whatever leftovers that are available. They also have to fight really hard for the low quality leftovers too. Those leftovers are not pleasant. The ripping off part has been happening for decades compared to other provinces and cities. That is why everyone should check out their current or potential future employer on web sites like ratemyemployer or else bad things will happen to you. Take a look at the Times Colonist newspaper article about capital cities like Victoria and Ottawa being cursed with economic, social, weak mediocrity. Even Ottawa was still higher up than Victoria.

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/region-...
Ron

Victoria, Canada

#320 Feb 19, 2013
Victoria used to a much nicer place to live, with a better quality of life.
I grew up here and just came back after working in Alberta for the last 15 years.
Walking down Douglas street reminds me of "The Walking Dead"...druggies, panhandlers and homeless oozing out of every nook and cranny downtown.
It's just sick.
Close the shelters and stop feeding them 6 times a day...betcha most of them would disappear or maybe actually put an effort into finding some work.
Full time even at minimum wage is still $1700/month.
Ron

Victoria, Canada

#321 Feb 19, 2013
Obviously the disabled are another story, and deserve to be helped
life is not candy box

Victoria, Canada

#322 Feb 19, 2013
Ron wrote:
Victoria used to a much nicer place to live, with a better quality of life.
I grew up here and just came back after working in Alberta for the last 15 years.
Walking down Douglas street reminds me of "The Walking Dead"...druggies, panhandlers and homeless oozing out of every nook and cranny downtown.
It's just sick.
Close the shelters and stop feeding them 6 times a day...betcha most of them would disappear or maybe actually put an effort into finding some work.
Full time even at minimum wage is still $1700/month.
The really insulting part is that cheapo jobs in places like Calgary, Edmonton, and others are around $15 plus per hour and Victoria and most places in BC try to get away with $10.25 per hour minimum. The higher up jobs are similarilly cheap too. Victoria doesn't have eough good jobs to go around and people have to fight for the crappy ones too, which are never enough too. Forget about retirement, vacations, houses, condos, cars, boats, planes, or a worthy life in Victoria. There are plenty of university, college grads working fast food, security, custodial, retail, food services, hospitality, etc.
Ron

Victoria, Canada

#323 Feb 19, 2013
I agree.
Insane or what

Victoria, Canada

#324 Feb 20, 2013
It really surprises me whenever I see out of BC vehicle license plates on cars in Victoria. I can't help and wonder if they are in Victoria for vacation, school, or are really moving to live in the city long term. I hope they are only visiting Victoria or going to school for the next 4-5 years and then leave. If they are moving to Victoria they will probably need a $1000000 plus savings account to live comfortably, the more the better. Everyone is going to get unpleasantly surprised if they think they can just move to Victoria and expect to find a good paying job or even a crappy paying job, have a life, save money for retirement, house, condo, vacations, cars, and other goodies. Never give up a good life in any other "with it" it to slum it in Victoria. Those of us trapped in Victoria can't get out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Victoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Victoria really a nice place to live? (Nov '10) May 28 Freak Show 1,432
News The Canadian roots of Alice Munro (Nov '06) May 28 RDL 2
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (Sep '06) May 26 RDL 3
Island Parent Article - dumb,dumb,dumb (Sep '06) May 24 RDL 2
News Softwood deal not to blame for job losses: Harper (Oct '06) May 21 slow and slower 3
News With 1 year to election, NDP needs to provide a... May 21 slow and slower 3
News the disappearing public urinal (Nov '06) May 21 NIMBY everywhere 3
More from around the web