Is Victoria really a nice place to live?

Is Victoria really a nice place to live?

Posted in the Victoria Forum

First Prev
of 89
Next Last
Kevin

Sidney, Canada

#1 Nov 26, 2010
I moved here 4 years ago with my family from Ontario with the hopes of having a better lifestyle and unlimited opportunity. You would think on a smaller Island as beautiful as Victoria that the people who be more appreciative and maybe a little nicer, but what we and hundreds of other outsiders found is that the people here are colder than a praries winter. They are over-priveledged, anti social, self proclaimed and sadly lacking anything resembling social skills. Because of unrealistic real estate prices homeowners have experienced wealth that is unheard of in any other part of the country. In a nutshell the people here suck. The place is beautiful but the pretty beaches and the trees do not make up for the Islands lack of personality. It is overpriced so every other person has to build suites in thier homes so they can afford to put a roof over thier heads. They are jamming homes in every nook and cranny to accommodate the lack of affordable housing, leaving people permanently strapped and living off of credit pretending they actually have money. The health system here sucks and where else do you have to pay to have your garbage picked up. I am happy for those of you that are from here and have family but if any of you are planning on moving here without your family being there to help out with kids and whatnot, don't bother unless you have tons of extra cash to over pay for it. For those of us that wanted to come here and start a new life I want to say that the Island is like a giant high school with cliques that never let you in, that will
take 20 years to ever penetrate. My advice is to not give up your real family and friends for the crap that the Island offers and come here on vacation only, that way you are buying something from the shallow personalityless Islanders that will only be nice to you if you are buying something from them.
I will be glad to leave this Island and I feel dumber for having been on it.
Cheers

Judged:

88

26

18

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Susan

Victoria, Canada

#2 Jan 19, 2011
What's your complaint about the health care system? I think it's great here, much better than the Ontario one. I guess each person judges something like that by his own experience.
I agree with you about family. I love Victoria as a place, but after living here for several years, I'm wondering whatever possessed me to move so far away from my family, most of whom live in Ontario.
albe a horses petootie

Victoria, Canada

#3 Jan 24, 2011
Sure I'd want prescriptions covered in MSP/BC , so all the taxpayers can pool the funds and send those funds out of the country, just kidding.
How do we keep the doctors who seem to be wanting more pay, the fees seem to indicate the more patients seen each day the more income, that may not be the way to go,espec. if a patient requires intensive treatment exceeding planned 10 minutes of exam.
Yes dentistry should be included for optimum health.
Really we need a using public to be educated and accept clinic as opposed to going to the hospital every time a trauma occurs.Maybe?
opinionator

Canada

#4 Mar 16, 2012
No, Victoria is not a nice place to live beyond the propaganda. Dig a little deeper. The general cultural attitude is cold, aloof, dead inside, uptight, socially cliquey, standoffish, mentally stupid, inefficient, lacking of any common sense, slow, cheap, poor, backward, insane, self delusional, and lots more. They will try to trick you with how great the weather and environment is. Victoria is probably the only place on Earth with any beautiful environment? Most of the jobs in Victoria BC are stingy paying, slave driving, perhaps even abusive, and don't recognize your talents. Low or high end jobs don't matter as they will pay you 25-33% less wage for the same work as cities and provinces outside of British Columbia, where they reward and value skills. You will get squeezed with cheap wages, and high housing, living costs at both ends. It gets worst as the upward mobility job prospects in Victoria BC are limited and limiting. Many Victoria students and locals leave and go work in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, South America, Asia, Europe, others in order to make big money and then maybe afford a Victoria house to buy. The joke local job market is a waste of time and life. Don't leave the prosperity of Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, etc for the monotony of Victoria. Many outside and local people say Victoria is over rated and move elsewhere in order to succeed. It seems the only prosperous Victorians are those who inherited old money wealth, or do big business in the rest of the world and then spend the wealth there. The lifer local Victorians are usually ignorant, poor, pissed off, and blocked. A friend referred to Victoria as the biggest outdoor insane asylum.

Judged:

27

10

6

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
reflectivenegati ve

Canada

#6 Jun 28, 2012
opinionator wrote:
No, Victoria is not a nice place to live beyond the propaganda. Dig a little deeper. The general cultural attitude is cold, aloof, dead inside, uptight, socially cliquey, standoffish, mentally stupid, inefficient, lacking of any common sense, slow, cheap, poor, backward, insane, self delusional, and lots more. They will try to trick you with how great the weather and environment is. Victoria is probably the only place on Earth with any beautiful environment? Most of the jobs in Victoria BC are stingy paying, slave driving, perhaps even abusive, and don't recognize your talents. Low or high end jobs don't matter as they will pay you 25-33% less wage for the same work as cities and provinces outside of British Columbia, where they reward and value skills. You will get squeezed with cheap wages, and high housing, living costs at both ends. It gets worst as the upward mobility job prospects in Victoria BC are limited and limiting. Many Victoria students and locals leave and go work in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, South America, Asia, Europe, others in order to make big money and then maybe afford a Victoria house to buy. The joke local job market is a waste of time and life. Don't leave the prosperity of Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, etc for the monotony of Victoria. Many outside and local people say Victoria is over rated and move elsewhere in order to succeed. It seems the only prosperous Victorians are those who inherited old money wealth, or do big business in the rest of the world and then spend the wealth there. The lifer local Victorians are usually ignorant, poor, pissed off, and blocked. A friend referred to Victoria as the biggest outdoor insane asylum.
Victoria has all the resources and people to become just as prosperous and opportunistic as Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City, Montreal, Saskatoon, Regina, etc. The restricted, restrictive Victorian mental, social attitude keeps getting in the way of adventure, broad mindedness, and prosperity. Victoria region can climb high and go farther if it can get its inefficient disjointed, confusing, frustrating crap policies in order. The public and private sectors in Victoria are equally mental.
Run for the Hills

Toronto, Canada

#7 Jul 12, 2012
Run for the hill as fast as you can is my advice to anyone considering a move or relocation to Victoria. Oh, the holiday visit leaves you feeling like it could be a nice place to live, but THINK again. It is so boring there, the people are MINDLESS, void of any real personality, crap jobs, crappy salaries, all broke, no excitment of life in the air, just dead!
Run to the East my friend, you will be happier. People from the East are rooted and so normal and friendly, real people, no air of snobbery about them like the Vics.
ThePrisoner

Canada

#8 Jul 12, 2012
Run for the Hills wrote:
Run for the hill as fast as you can is my advice to anyone considering a move or relocation to Victoria. Oh, the holiday visit leaves you feeling like it could be a nice place to live, but THINK again. It is so boring there, the people are MINDLESS, void of any real personality, crap jobs, crappy salaries, all broke, no excitment of life in the air, just dead!
Run to the East my friend, you will be happier. People from the East are rooted and so normal and friendly, real people, no air of snobbery about them like the Vics.
I know many ex victorians who moved to Ontario and Alberta to make better money and actually have a wealthier life. The ones who stayed behind in Vic BC are depressed, angry, frustrated, and these ones are the ones from the wealthier families. The ones from the poorer families can add destitute and desperate to the list. All those friendly Victorians you see are just superficially acting in front of your face. The true happy people in Victoria are the visitors; the locals are very artificial and superficial.
Robin

Burnaby, Canada

#9 Jul 17, 2012
Victoria wages are sub par low and various living expenses are above par extortionary high because the owners and managers, all the decision makers know and hope the docile sheeple won't uncover their dirty ways and stand up. The place looks and behaves like a life sized experiment lab in mass social manipulation and control for the NWO. It is probably a society template for the future global world gradually being made even now?
Bored teen

Victoria, Canada

#10 Aug 18, 2012
I've lived in Victoria for my whole life. It's super boring here. I probably won't live here in the future.
VictorianTaint

United States

#11 Aug 18, 2012
Bored teen wrote:
I've lived in Victoria for my whole life. It's super boring here. I probably won't live here in the future.
You should get out of Victoria to other places like Calgary or Toronto. In fact, you should get out of British Columbia completely to go somewhere more friendly towards prosperity and success. Why do you think rich, famous, powerful ex Victorians had to leave in order to make it? Victoria is only good to visit for a short time or if you are already independently wealthy.
My Thoughts

Canada

#12 Aug 25, 2012
Everbody has thier own experience and I guess depends how old you are as well and lifestyle . I moved from ontario I tell you from my experience people in ontario are worse than victoria ..i find people more laid back here .More honest people . Im safe walking anywhere anytime . Dont feel too safe walking streets of few cities in ontario your more likely to get robbed and beating .I also lived in most major cities across the country and feel most safe in Victoria. Also from my experiences As an artist and musician Ive met alot of talent .The city has alot of potential business wise .Its a new decade new generations ..diffrent demands . And its up to the people to make the changes . I take care my self ..eat well excercise So im never in the hospital . Every city has its pro n cons . Overall from my experience not too big ..not too small .This beautiful place to live and raise a family .
TheNWO

Burnaby, Canada

#13 Aug 25, 2012
My Thoughts wrote:
Everbody has thier own experience and I guess depends how old you are as well and lifestyle . I moved from ontario I tell you from my experience people in ontario are worse than victoria ..i find people more laid back here .More honest people . Im safe walking anywhere anytime . Dont feel too safe walking streets of few cities in ontario your more likely to get robbed and beating .I also lived in most major cities across the country and feel most safe in Victoria. Also from my experiences As an artist and musician Ive met alot of talent .The city has alot of potential business wise .Its a new decade new generations ..diffrent demands . And its up to the people to make the changes . I take care my self ..eat well excercise So im never in the hospital . Every city has its pro n cons . Overall from my experience not too big ..not too small .This beautiful place to live and raise a family .

I not saying Victoria is always 100% shitty to live in. The upward mobility in job prospests, social, wealth really sucks in Victoria because of the public and private sector entrenched cheap, restrictive attitudes. Paying peanuts hires you monkeys. The only reason why I stay in this city is because my family owns apartment building real estate worth about 20 years of a government manager's wages, in any place. I am not poor, only frustrated and bored. If this frustration happens to me and my well to do comfortable friends, what chances are there for other Victoria people lower down the social economic ladder? My friends and I can't make it on our own in Victoria and our families' wealth is keeping up afloat. In Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, etc, that could be different.
Paul

Victoria, Canada

#14 Aug 26, 2012
Kevin wrote:
I moved here 4 years ago with my family from Ontario with the hopes of having a better lifestyle and unlimited opportunity. You would think on a smaller Island as beautiful as Victoria that the people who be more appreciative and maybe a little nicer, but what we and hundreds of other outsiders found is that the people here are colder than a praries winter. They are over-priveledged, anti social, self proclaimed and sadly lacking anything resembling social skills. Because of unrealistic real estate prices homeowners have experienced wealth that is unheard of in any other part of the country. In a nutshell the people here suck. The place is beautiful but the pretty beaches and the trees do not make up for the Islands lack of personality. It is overpriced so every other person has to build suites in thier homes so they can afford to put a roof over thier heads. They are jamming homes in every nook and cranny to accommodate the lack of affordable housing, leaving people permanently strapped and living off of credit pretending they actually have money. The health system here sucks and where else do you have to pay to have your garbage picked up. I am happy for those of you that are from here and have family but if any of you are planning on moving here without your family being there to help out with kids and whatnot, don't bother unless you have tons of extra cash to over pay for it. For those of us that wanted to come here and start a new life I want to say that the Island is like a giant high school with cliques that never let you in, that will
take 20 years to ever penetrate. My advice is to not give up your real family and friends for the crap that the Island offers and come here on vacation only, that way you are buying something from the shallow personalityless Islanders that will only be nice to you if you are buying something from them.
I will be glad to leave this Island and I feel dumber for having been on it.
Cheers
Thirty yeara ago Victoria Was a Beautiful place to live then the east moved west and turned Victoria into a Concrete jungle. Roads are now wall to wall parking lots. Real estate has plumpeted to a price my grandchildren will never be able to afford. If you don't like Viotoria then yoou are to blame. Please go back where you came from and let us return to the beautiful city we onse had.
Sam

Victoria, Canada

#15 Sep 1, 2012
Kevin wrote:
I moved here 4 years ago with my family from Ontario with the hopes of having a better lifestyle and unlimited opportunity. You would think on a smaller Island as beautiful as Victoria that the people who be more appreciative and maybe a little nicer, but what we and hundreds of other outsiders found is that the people here are colder than a praries winter. They are over-priveledged, anti social, self proclaimed and sadly lacking anything resembling social skills. Because of unrealistic real estate prices homeowners have experienced wealth that is unheard of in any other part of the country. In a nutshell the people here suck. The place is beautiful but the pretty beaches and the trees do not make up for the Islands lack of personality. It is overpriced so every other person has to build suites in thier homes so they can afford to put a roof over thier heads. They are jamming homes in every nook and cranny to accommodate the lack of affordable housing, leaving people permanently strapped and living off of credit pretending they actually have money. The health system here sucks and where else do you have to pay to have your garbage picked up. I am happy for those of you that are from here and have family but if any of you are planning on moving here without your family being there to help out with kids and whatnot, don't bother unless you have tons of extra cash to over pay for it. For those of us that wanted to come here and start a new life I want to say that the Island is like a giant high school with cliques that never let you in, that will
take 20 years to ever penetrate. My advice is to not give up your real family and friends for the crap that the Island offers and come here on vacation only, that way you are buying something from the shallow personalityless Islanders that will only be nice to you if you are buying something from them.
I will be glad to leave this Island and I feel dumber for having been on it.
Cheers
I'm glad to hear you're leaving. Obviously this wasn't a place to be for an extrovert like you. We are on "Island time" here on the Island and it is difficult for city folks to get used to it. Have fun back at your home.

Judged:

18

13

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
coup d etat takeover

Victoria, Canada

#16 Sep 2, 2012
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad to hear you're leaving. Obviously this wasn't a place to be for an extrovert like you. We are on "Island time" here on the Island and it is difficult for city folks to get used to it. Have fun back at your home.
Vancouver Island time, get use to it!? This proves beyond a reasonable doubt in any judicial tribunal that most of the "other Victorians", Vancouver Islanders are really crazy and metally slow and thick as cement. Oh crap, I may get lumped together as the other Victorian, Vancouver Islander hicks. I was born in Victoria, however, I am more similar to the thinking and attitude style of Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa people. It is the the slow hick locals who are stubbornly anchoring this region in the cave man stone age of social attitudes. Given this situation, if Victoria and any one of the other more 'with it' cities were to get into a city-city fight with Victoria, I and many others would switch sides and/or collaborate with the opposing forces. I would work for the Toronto, Emondton, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa invasion and occupation of Victoria. Oh really? This place really needs a total systemic makeover.
life gambling huh

United States

#17 Oct 4, 2012
The other commenter mentioned Victoria BC is safer, more honest, more laid back, calmer than other cities in other provinces. All these just confirms that Victoria is slack and lazy, indecisive, less mentally quick, and probably culturally dopey and drugged up?
tards

United States

#18 Oct 5, 2012
It's a common subject in Victoria and it doesn't matter who you work for or what you work as. Your schooling and experience doesn't matter to the brain dead local employers as they don't want to pay market pay. The screw up low quality staff they do have either quit or get fired for big mess ups, or they gang up bully you if you are too good and make them look bad. Even if all these BS things don't happen to you at one of the crappy Victoria jobs, you are going to get over worked and under paid anyway. It is not just one or few jobs that destroys your soul, it is the entire Victosria region. There are few good job, or any jobs that compensates and treats you properly.
everthing makes sense now

Victoria, Canada

#19 Oct 10, 2012
Sure Victoria is a nice place to live, if you are independently wealthy and don't need to depend on anyone else for anything. The place really sucks if you need to work for others to live and must go through life kissing their ass, licking their boots. then it isn't so nice for you.
Phaedria

Victoria, Canada

#20 Oct 10, 2012
I am not born but raised in Victoria. I must agree with a lot of the negative posts on here. I am 37, well educated and STRUGGLE to make ends meet. Rent is WAY too high for a dump of a basement suite. It is VERY closed off and hard to break the barrier of social realm. I am tired, depressed, and pissed off...and reading this have me going home a packing my car and catching the next ferry out. OH! In case you are considering on moving to the island? Watch out for the ferries, it will soon cost you $400.00 ROUND trip with one car and passenger on the ferries. So essentially you are stranded on "the rock" as we call it here, because is like Alcatraz, you can never get off. You will be stuck fighting for survival, while the baby boomers reap your blood sweat and tears. They will never give it up!
Why Not

Victoria, Canada

#21 Oct 13, 2012
Phaedria wrote:
I am not born but raised in Victoria. I must agree with a lot of the negative posts on here. I am 37, well educated and STRUGGLE to make ends meet. Rent is WAY too high for a dump of a basement suite. It is VERY closed off and hard to break the barrier of social realm. I am tired, depressed, and pissed off...and reading this have me going home a packing my car and catching the next ferry out. OH! In case you are considering on moving to the island? Watch out for the ferries, it will soon cost you $400.00 ROUND trip with one car and passenger on the ferries. So essentially you are stranded on "the rock" as we call it here, because is like Alcatraz, you can never get off. You will be stuck fighting for survival, while the baby boomers reap your blood sweat and tears. They will never give it up!
Victoria and Vancouver Island is like social, economic, cultural drug, JUST SAY NO! If you get hooked into moving to the island and Victoria, you will be frustrated beyond belief is various ways. If you are not yet on the island and BC's capital city, it is best for your peace of mind, happiness, and sanity to continue to be elsewhere. Even those already here yearn for the opportunity and resources to leave. Even the crappy jobs in Calgary pay more wages than the crappy jobs in Victoria. The good jobs would pay even more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 89
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Victoria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
On Victoria (Jan '06) 4 hr Brexx 2,061
News Top court hears federal governmenta s appeal on... Fri Idiot Child 1
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... Thu Dogen 1,971
News New political party wants Vancouver Island to b... (Jun '16) May 23 What Brexxland 30
I find the Wildlife thrift store in Vancouver t... (Jun '14) May 16 cootees 2
GVPL CEO Maureen Sawa evil dragon lady May 13 RDL 4
I had wedding rings stolden from my pursethroug... May 8 RDL 6
More from around the web