Planet Energy Scam
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Scam in Van

New Westminster, Canada

#1 May 15, 2007
Watch out for these guys going door to door.

They came to my house when my girlfriend (not common law) was there. They implied they worked for Terasen Gas, and never said they were from any other reseller. They said it was urgent and needed to be taken care of immediately. They filled out the paperwork for my girlfriend with my name and information and got her to sign it without even reading it (I know she should read something before she signs it...live and learn).

She had already told them that she didn't live at my house and didn't pay the bills or the rent. They even checked the box that said my girlfriend’s signature was from the resident whose name was listed above (mine) and got her to sign. I came is as they were arguing with my neighbor (I think a similar thing happened with him and his girlfriend). I got the forms (white and yellow) and took them away to keep on file.

What they did is not legal, and not ethical. I called Planet Energy and let them know. I’m calling the BBB tomorrow. I'm not saying the deal they had is bad, just their sales technique.

Please repost this to protect others!
Sharon G

Toronto, Canada

#2 Apr 18, 2011
I do not see how what they are doing is a scam. Maybe their sales techniques were not acceptable, but that does NOT mean what they are doing is a scam. What you are doing is slandering a company and you need to be careful of that.
I only did not sign up because I don't sign 5 year contracts.
John energy rep

Jerseyville, Canada

#3 Jun 9, 2011
Sorry Sharon this is a scam as they had a person who is not the person who is in charge of the dwelling sign onto a contract. They knew this is illegall when they did it and unfortunatley this company is not alone.
its not a scam

San Mateo, CA

#4 Jun 11, 2011
the business is very simple. for example say you want to buy gasoline for your car because we all know in 2 years or so the price will go up a dollar or more again so you buy fuel in advance now to fuel your car for the next 3 years this is exactly what they do for your gas and electricity in your home.. its more ideal for restaurants who use a lot of gas for cooking
IBO

Boise, ID

#5 Jul 14, 2011
Planet Energy is a legit company. What happened is an Individual Representative misused their position to sign on a new customer. There are very strict guidelines that IBO's should be following and from the looks of this complaint, this rep is a snake and deserves to have his IBO status revoked! That person gives other IBOs a bad name!
Not a Scam

United States

#6 Aug 2, 2011
To be real with you, your girlfriend has the fault, to just sign without your authority, so you should be questioning her, not the company. Your girlfriend had the right to say NO, the owner of the house is not home, how is she going to allow people in your home when YOU are not there? So their must be some type of connections and conversation to allow them in. For that being said the company is not a scam. There ARE strict guidelines with this company, and i totally agree with IBO.
sade

Ozone Park, NY

#7 Aug 8, 2011
If, hypothetically, the company is legit, why would the representative need to go through all of that?
IBOOHIO

United States

#8 Aug 20, 2011
The rep may not work for the company, but is "contracted" to sell the services. Any compamny in their right mind wouldn't hire a jerk doing what this person did, for the sake of saving their company's name.-However- given that the company probably also will not bug their "contractors", its virtually impossible for them to keep their finger on every one of them at all times. If anything, Scam in Van needs to contact Planet Energy and report the account- because somewhere along the line, I'm sure this creep lying to folks still got a paycheck.. that is trackable.
Charlie

Amityville, NY

#9 Dec 13, 2011
I know Planet Energy is a bona fide company. The reason why they use representatives to do direct marketing is to save money on advertising. I had someone approach me with all documentation. I did my research and was able to compare their gas rates to the company I used to be with. Planet energy actually has cheaper rates.

I would say the agent or rep was very wrong in bulling your girlfriend but the company has no control over how people act
koz

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Mar 10, 2012
Watch out this company. Let me tell my story. I am living in NYC and using Con Edison. A few month ago, my bill went up more than double all of the sudden and realized that it was charged by Planet Energy. I called Planet Energy and told them I never authorized their service.
Turned out that someone set up my account using my information. They even had the fake phone number and the fake email address of me that I never used. I think that these fake phone number and email address was used to set up the account.
I asked to terminate the service and also get refund because I never ever authorized the service. it tooks two or three month to terminate the service and I was charged during the period. Now, they say they are investigating the issue and won't give me the refund until they find out what happened. And it's been two month.
Aecause the energy was already consumed.
I got so upset and asked for sup
Ernie

Hegins, PA

#11 Mar 22, 2012
I just signed up for this last night. I had Dominion. Should I cancel it right now?
Planet Energy Customer

United States

#12 Nov 15, 2012
All - Planet Energy is a legit company that actually has some of the best rates available. I know this because I am a customer of theirs and I did my research. All of your complaints have absolutely nothing to do with Planet Energy but of the independent representatives of the company. First, they are suppose to inform you that they are a rep for Planet Energy. Secondly, you must authorize the deal for it to be valid. If either of these are not true, you need to call Planet Energy and report this as well as let them know that you have been impersonated and you did not sign up for the service. They will absolutely look into it for you and most likely have the reps credentials removed for fraudulent behavior. Just wanted to give you all a heads up because reps from other companies have attempted this with me. I caught one who did it to my girlfriend and had his credentials removed and he was being investigated for fraud.
wayne

Surrey, Canada

#13 Feb 22, 2013
anyone that would sign without checking into the company is taking a chance.That does not excuse the action of the sales rep., but as we all know their is good and bad with everything. Sorry you had a bad experience,should never have happened!!!No company is perfect,I have been a customer for a time and have no complaint ,I got exactly what I asked for with no problems.
Boo Boo Bear

Delta, Canada

#14 Feb 26, 2013
So misrepresenting themselves in order to persuade someone to sign a legal document isn't a "scam"?

You people are imbeciles :)
Amy

Surrey, Canada

#15 Apr 5, 2013
I did sign up and found out later that I will be paying double the amount I am paying right now so I cancelled it.Watch out its a contract of 5 years. You have to cancel it within certain days or else you are done for 5 years. I got a lesson..please do read carefully before signing any contract.
NYC

Bronx, NY

#16 Apr 16, 2013
It's a scam. They are a legit company but they have hidden fees and do not let you know that pretty much you are signing up to add another fee ontop of your normal bills. I was just a victim of this and I'm reporting them to BBB today. For 4 months they have been charging me additional fees when they are suppose to help me save money.
NYC

Bronx, NY

#17 Apr 16, 2013
koz wrote:
Watch out this company. Let me tell my story. I am living in NYC and using Con Edison. A few month ago, my bill went up more than double all of the sudden and realized that it was charged by Planet Energy. I called Planet Energy and told them I never authorized their service.
Turned out that someone set up my account using my information. They even had the fake phone number and the fake email address of me that I never used. I think that these fake phone number and email address was used to set up the account.
I asked to terminate the service and also get refund because I never ever authorized the service. it tooks two or three month to terminate the service and I was charged during the period. Now, they say they are investigating the issue and won't give me the refund until they find out what happened. And it's been two month.
Aecause the energy was already consumed.
I got so upset and asked for sup
This same thing happened to me smh
NYC

Bronx, NY

#18 Apr 16, 2013
Ernie wrote:
I just signed up for this last night. I had Dominion. Should I cancel it right now?
Cancel it! It's a scam and has alot of hidden fees.
Michael

Toronto, Canada

#19 May 22, 2013
NYC wrote:
<quoted text>
Cancel it! It's a scam and has alot of hidden fees.
This company is a SCAM...they may have been set up as a legal company, but their business practices are gross misrepresentation of their services.
I had signed up with them, but after 3 yrs, I sold my house and transferred the contract to my new house through their representative.
Now I have a collection agency named "CRA" that has called me many times & when I have returned their call, I have only received a "VOICE MESSAGE"...I finally spoke to someone (they don't provide names nor employee number) and he said I owe them thousands of dollars for cancelling their contract!
Conclusion...both Planet Energy and their representatives are scammers...and it is FRAUD...no doubt about it!
Nesan

Maple, Canada

#20 Jul 13, 2013
I signed up with ACN long time ago. last year I sold my house and moved to another house. Now I am getting calls from collection agency for hundreds of dollars for cancellation of planet energy and also threatening to report to credit bureau.
can they do that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vancouver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
because of the scam, I am in need of a loan sha... (Nov '07) 8 hr Chi 134
2017 Newest Box Mod, Great Performance! May 25 olysodaisy 1
News Politics Briefing: British leaders suspend camp... May 24 Mother 2
News Canadian actor Adam Beach walks a fine line as ... May 24 Transient Jobs Pi... 6
News Scientology linked anti-psychiatry exhibit in D... May 24 Humanspirit 4
SCAMMED BY flight centre Travel Agency - Flight... (Aug '11) May 18 Deltaswim01 95
Why are people so cold in Vancouver Canada? (Aug '12) May 17 Piko 21
More from around the web