Range Rover crash: Bail hearing for Oliver Karafa today in Mount Pleasant accident

Apr 4, 2012 Full story: The Toronto Star 90

The motorist charged in a horrific crash that left his passenger dead early Tuesday is due in court Wednesday for a bail hearing.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Iggy

Saint John, Canada

#1 Apr 4, 2012
Oliver is a good kid. Very unfortunate event for both families.
stacey

Canada

#2 Apr 4, 2012
Oliver is a good person,I worked with him he is nothing but harmless, I believe it was a stupid mistake due to alchol, my heart goes out to the victim's family also they were all friends just unfortunate it resulted in death. I hope the public don't make this into a mockery both families are hurting right now
Unknown

Toronto, Canada

#3 Apr 4, 2012
We all did crazy stuff on that age. Unfortunately this time it resulted with a tragic accident. Oliver is not criminal as the media wants to present it to us he is just a normal kid that went through a horrible experience, I think he is enough punished by the loss of his friend. Please leave that boy alone and stop making worse than what it already is. RIP David Chiang. Keep being strong Oliver.
realitycheck

Toronto, Canada

#4 Apr 4, 2012
You people are pathetic. We did crazy stuff, Oliver is a good kid?? Are you bloody insane?? This little rich boy was driving a range rover at 150+ KM PER HOUR on Mt Pleasant while hammered!! This isn't 80 in a 60, this is complete utter recklessness with absolutely no regard for anything or anyone. A stupid mistake due to alcohol....wow. A guy is dead and that is a stupid mistake due to alcohol? Prosecute this little puke to the fullest extent of the law and throw away the keys forever. Show him the photos of what happened to David and the crime scene. Absolutely pathetic that you "people" have come to the defend actions like this.
Not OK

Canada

#5 Apr 4, 2012
How can you call a drunk driver harmless? This probably isn't the first time this kid has gotten behind the wheel intoxicated.
I have ZERO sympathy for drunk drivers. He made a choice to get behind the wheel and drive. He made a choice to put himself in a situation where he could kill someone.
Can you imagine if he drove his car and killed one of your loved ones? I doubt you would be calling him a good kid.
He should NEVER be able to drive again, but sadly with our justice system, he will probably get a slap on the wrist. Do you want this kid driving on the road again?
Wake Up Call

Woodbridge, Canada

#6 Apr 4, 2012
I could not agree more with "Realitycheck," and "Not OK." I, sadly, am the victim of a drunk driver. A drunk driver killed my 20 year old sister more than 20 years ago now. I have lived everyday in pain faced with my loss. Drunk Drivers ruin lives. Young inexperienced drivers need to get this message early. Driving is NOT a joke. Drinking and driving is like loading a gun and swinging it randomly in a room full of people. Actions have consequences! Unfortunately, Canadian laws do not take Drinking and Driving seriously. With his affluent backing, he will be another Drunk Driver who got away with murder!
Too young

Scarborough, Canada

#7 Apr 4, 2012
To all those who knew Oliver, he may have been a good kid. But good kids don't make stupid choices. KID is exactly it. Very reckless to make
a decision like that. Alcohol is worse than drugs because it completely disables you. You cannot make decisions in that state of mind.
Driving drunk is selfish, with no regard to anyone around you. And to go at high speed levels as he was is unacceptable. I know both families are grieving but he has to face his reality, this one mistake ENDED A LIFE. David's loved ones will never see him again and unfortunately if Oliver was old enough to drive and make those choices he's old enough to face the consequences of his mistakes.
Poor little rich Kid

Belleville, Canada

#8 Apr 4, 2012
At 19, Mr. Karafa is an adult, not a "kid". There is simply no excuse for his actions. This tragedy amounts to nothing less than vehicular homicide. In the U.S.A., a conviction for this crime would most certainly result in a life sentence with no chance of parole. Immediately after walking away unscathed, observers at the scene claim he was sitting on the curb sobbing "I'm going to jail", repeatedly. He wasn't even concerned about the well-being of his friend.
I'm appalled that this even happened.
Justice will be served. I hope the Judge makes an example of Mr. Karafa with the most severe sentence possible within Canadian law. Regardless of his age, he should not be allowed to ever drive again.
Throw away the key

Woodbridge, Canada

#9 Apr 4, 2012
No excuse for his actions. None. I can only hope that he stays behind bars as long as possible in order to protect the safety of our streets and loved ones. No, we have not all done stupid things like that. Many people know better than to drink and drive, at any age. It's only unfortunate that drunk drivers are often the survivors instead of the victims. And, remember everyone, although a life was needlessly lost, the passenger CHOSE to get in the car with a wasted driver.
To anyone reading this who also drives while intoxicated, please do the rest of us a favour and go lick a light socket at some point today. We'd all appreciate it.
Model Prisoner

Oakville, Canada

#10 Apr 4, 2012
If he pleads guilty or is found guilty in a court of law, he will find out how popular models are in jail.
Looking

Mississauga, Canada

#11 Apr 4, 2012
Hey looking for his twitter does anyone it
Looking

Mississauga, Canada

#12 Apr 4, 2012
stacey wrote:
Oliver is a good person,I worked with him he is nothing but harmless, I believe it was a stupid mistake due to alchol, my heart goes out to the victim's family also they were all friends just unfortunate it resulted in death. I hope the public don't make this into a mockery both families are hurting right now
Hey you no him what he's Twitter
Tansy

Brossard, Canada

#14 Apr 5, 2012
Drinking and driving is a crime, ergo the perpetrator is a criminal. Perhaps if everyone took that more seriously, there would be fewer fatalities on the road. And I did not do crazy stuff at that age. For starters, I could not afford a Range Rover, and if I had been able to own one, I wouldn't have been driving drunk at 150 mph. Normal kids don't have such disregard for human life.
Unknown wrote:
We all did crazy stuff on that age. Unfortunately this time it resulted with a tragic accident. Oliver is not criminal as the media wants to present it to us he is just a normal kid that went through a horrible experience,\
Tansy

Brossard, Canada

#15 Apr 5, 2012
His Twitter profile, now deleted, says a lot: "I love Jesus but ive learned alot from Satan."
Anonymously anonymous

Toronto, Canada

#16 Apr 5, 2012
Unknown wrote:
We all did crazy stuff on that age. Unfortunately this time it resulted with a tragic accident. Oliver is not criminal as the media wants to present it to us he is just a normal kid that went through a horrible experience, I think he is enough punished by the loss of his friend. Please leave that boy alone and stop making worse than what it already is. RIP David Chiang. Keep being strong Oliver.
Sorry it was not an "accident". With the alleged speed Oliver we driving it was not an accident. We have all had a drink or two and driven but we have not ALL been over the legal limit and drove over 100 km/hr on a Main Street. Leave that boy alone? I think not. He killed someone. End of story.
Anonymously anonymous

Toronto, Canada

#17 Apr 5, 2012
stacey wrote:
Can you guarantee that this "good kid" has never driven that fast, EVER, while sober. Can you swear it was the alcohol that made him do it? NOT a stupid mistake it was deliberate. Yes the passenger had a choice whether the get in the car with a person who has alcohol in his system or not but it is the drivers responsibility to transport his passengers as safely as possibly. Sure outside incidents may make this impossible but the driver is always responsible for himself and his passengers.
response

Toronto, Canada

#18 Apr 5, 2012
Looking wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey you no him what he's Twitter
Its deactivated
Rest in peace David

Scarborough, Canada

#20 Apr 5, 2012
cg t wrote:
So did anyone check to see if Chiang was leaned across to the driver's side and if Kaafa's pants were down as he was roaring down Mt Pleasant???
Are you kidding me? That is completely rude. Have some consideration for David's family and friends. Very inappropriate to make remarks like that about someone you didn't even know especially at a time like this.
Jane

Hawkesbury, Canada

#21 Apr 5, 2012
Not OK wrote:
How can you call a drunk driver harmless? This probably isn't the first time this kid has gotten behind the wheel intoxicated.
I have ZERO sympathy for drunk drivers. He made a choice to get behind the wheel and drive. He made a choice to put himself in a situation where he could kill someone.
Can you imagine if he drove his car and killed one of your loved ones? I doubt you would be calling him a good kid.
He should NEVER be able to drive again, but sadly with our justice system, he will probably get a slap on the wrist. Do you want this kid driving on the road again?
You have made the wrong assumption about the background of Oliver. This is because you are speaking out of ignorance and impressions only. You are also lacking in compassion for a boy who is most likely a much kinder person than you are, judging from your self-righteous comments. Those of us who know Oliver are heartbroken for him as this terrible mistake will be regretted for the rest of his life. Maybe you've gotten off easy with your own mistakes, but don't tell me you've done nothing wrong yourself. It's so easy to throw the first stone, isn't it? Shame on you.
Jane

Hawkesbury, Canada

#22 Apr 5, 2012
Rest in peace David wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me? That is completely rude. Have some consideration for David's family and friends. Very inappropriate to make remarks like that about someone you didn't even know especially at a time like this.
cg or whoever wrote the first comment, you need to find a good psychiatrist. Your disgusting comment shows that you are deeply disturbed and need of years of therapy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toronto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
40,000 Aeropan Miles and First Year Free, New O... 19 hr Lania 2
Canadian brevity and matter-of-factness in the ... 20 hr My socks 1
Ward 2 candidates debate rural, hamlet issues Thu GlenMPAC cards sa... 8
Canadian Parliament on lockdown after shots fired Thu many Terrorists e... 1
Boycott Muslim businesses Wed My socks 1
The Star's endorsements for Toronto city counci... Tue bulk mail and B S 1
Record-number of Toronto voters cast advanced b... Oct 21 Ward 2 Rob Ford 1

Toronto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE