End-of-life battles expose the cultur...

End-of-life battles expose the culture clash in Canada's intensive care units

There are 6 comments on the National Post story from Dec 8, 2012, titled End-of-life battles expose the culture clash in Canada's intensive care units. In it, National Post reports that:

When an Edmonton family went to court to fight a hospital's plan to withdraw life-sustaining treatment from their deathly ill patriarch, the relatives cited Islamic law, as well as judicial precedent, to bolster their case.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Post.

Hun

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#3 Dec 8, 2012
The natives are a sorry excuse for a race.There is nothing that happens in their lives that they do not blame on someone else.
Red Bone

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#4 Dec 8, 2012
These bottom feeders do not get treated with the disrespect they deserve.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#5 Dec 8, 2012
I liked the part about the Iranian family that aren't even fucking citizens expecting the rest of us to cough up on keeping a hopeless case hooked up to life support over religious bullshit.

I say leave him hooked up and make the rest of the family understand that THEY well be paying the bills from here on out.

I mean Jesus H. Christ on a crutch already, where does the leeching end??!!

The KGB had a term for us Canadians during the Cold War that still seems to apply today albeit for different reasons, they called us "friendly idiots".
Tucker

Winnipeg, Canada

#6 Dec 9, 2012
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
I liked the part about the Iranian family that aren't even fucking citizens expecting the rest of us to cough up on keeping a hopeless case hooked up to life support over religious bullshit.
I say leave him hooked up and make the rest of the family understand that THEY well be paying the bills from here on out.
I mean Jesus H. Christ on a crutch already, where does the leeching end??!!
The KGB had a term for us Canadians during the Cold War that still seems to apply today albeit for different reasons, they called us "friendly idiots".
Blame immigration policy, not the family.

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#7 Dec 9, 2012
Tucker wrote:
<quoted text>
Blame immigration policy, not the family.
Immigration only takes so much of the blame in this case. It's not immigration's fault this family went to court to fight for you and I to keep paying to keep the guy on life-support. I wonder how adamant this family would be to keep him "plugged in" if they had to pay for his apparently pointless life-support.

See, here's the thing. This would be a non-issue to me if these people were actual citizens. And let's face it, doctors here in Canada don't seem to be all that big on euthanasia, so when they say it's time to pull the plug, it's probably a good bet it's time to pull the plug.
Using religion as an excuse to waste limited space and resources is pure grade horseshit, no matter how you pile it up.

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#8 Dec 9, 2012
**Correction, this would be LESS of an issue to me...etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toronto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homicide unit investigates after body found at ... 19 hr not 1st body in King 1
News Toronto MPP pushes bill for all-in cost on pric... 19 hr Good idea vs Ted 1
News Judge finds Brampton woman guilty of posing as ... 19 hr Just Us eh 1
News In the news today, Dec. 12 Tue burn baby burn eh 1
News Here's a map of all the unreal holiday lights i... Tue other lites 2 1
FORMER YUGOSLAVS ==>>are BULGARIANS NOT MACEDON... Tue Jebem 2
News First snowfall of the season underway in Toront... Tue slow snow drive 2day 1
More from around the web