Thunder Bay and District Humane Society - Good or Bad?

Posted in the Thunder Bay Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of152
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jasmine

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 11, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

We've all heard good and bad about the Humane Society. The latest buzz is that they allow back yard breeders Loretta Nummikoski and Steve Clark to have their logo on their website. There is a lot of concern that the HS may support the pet store Paws and Claws. The Humane Society has been notified many times about this, and the logo is still on Loretta's website. What do you think??
Kelsi

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 11, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Hi PetFriend. As much as you like to claim that we all have personal grudges, that is not the case.
Also, Loretta is a backyard breeder although she likes to claim she is a hobby breeder. Here are some characteristics of both hobby and backyard breeders.

Hobby Breeders:
- Breed dogs to better the breed
- Attempts to continuously track and follow up with every puppy produced
- Invites knowledge

Backyard Breeders:
- Breeds solely for profit
- May share falsely incomplete information

The Humane Society is not a partner of Paws and Claws. It goes against the OSPCA regulations and because the Humane Society is an affiliate of the OSPCA it would be a conflict of interest. According to a received email from the Humane Society, they are not permitted to endorse and breeders, rescues or animal welfare groups.
So as much as you like to claim that the HS is a supporter and partner of Paws and Claws, that is straight up bullshit and no one believes it but you.

Anon

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 11, 2009
 

Judged:

1

So does Paws and Claws wag the Humane Society's tail or it the other way around?
K Wh

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

A hobby breeder also breeds 3 or less litters per year according to the new Manitoba legislation. Any more then that and they must be lisenced as commercial breeders. As for the comment above about inspecting the store and finding them above standard, that is a very misleading statement. The Humane Society only has the jurisdiction to 'inspect ' the store under the Animal Cruely Act, to ensure that the animals are in cages that allow enough room to turn around and that water is available. The Humane Society has no jurisdication to pass standard on veterinary care or breeding practices. These are issues that will affect the health of these animals and the wallets and hearts of their owners for a many years.The employee above should be well aware that the OSPCA cannot endorse any breeder or kennel and is opposed to the sale of dogs in pet stores by policy. I can fully understand that the organisation is dependent on funds from the public and therefore can't afford to be selective of the donation source.However it is silence on issues just as this that in fact reduce donations from morally opposed people. My own support for the H.S. diminished when I saw that they were more focused on pet recycling then prevention of the source such as spay neuter clinics for ferral cats and choosing to upgrade their storefront rather then beef up the inspection component of their mandate. In that way I can see supporting the sale of dogs in retail enviroments as stores will undoubtedly result in the eventual 'stock' of shelter dogs. It certainly will never reduce the problem however. I'm sure this will generate a comment about this store's 'return' policy but I have read it. There are people who will not want to stand in the store on the 1st Friday of the month trying to rehome their dog or trade the dog for one of equal or lesser value.
Anon

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 12, 2009
 
Glitched_Grave wrote:
.... wait, I know the answer to that one...
Dagmara + Steve = Love.
Talk about Givin' the Dog a Bone.
Legal Ed

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

PetFriend wrote:
I think it is obvious that Paws and Claws has the full support of the Humane Society. They are not "backyard breeders" like you say or they would not be partnering with the Humane Society.
Seems like a few people might have an axe to grind for personal reasons.
Paws and Claws owners Loretta Nummikoski and Steve Clark are at minimum "backyard breeders" as defined by the OSPCA (Thunder Bay Humane Society) themselves. Here's the page with the definition on it so the non-believers and those new to this forum can review for themselves. Please note the definitions page is titled "Animal CRUELTY Glossary" -

http://www.ontariospca.ca/1-glossary.shtml

Backyard breeder: An owner whose pet may have an unplanned litter by accident, or who breeds on purpose. Common reasons cited include: making extra money, mistakenly believing every dog should have a litter, letting the children witness "the miracle of birth," or because they think their dog would make cute puppies. The animals involved are generally not tested for health or genetic problems, and typically there is no thought to where the puppies will go. They are the single greatest cause of pet overpopulation. Many are sold locally through newspaper ads.
Legal Ed

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Real_Truth_Finally wrote:
I work at the Thunder Bay District Humane Society and would like to state that we have inspected Paws and Claws and found them to be well above standard.
If anyone has any concerns, feel free to call us.
Thanks you.
This is a lie.

Due to confidentiality regulations no employee or member of the Thunder Bay & District Humane Society can make a public statement of this nature without properly identifying themselves. Keep lying, pet store supporters, and the rest of us will continue pointing out your lies. Nummikoski is obviously not bright enough to see how her "supporters" are actually working to kill her business. She apparently didn't learn from having them hang out in front of your store during the demonstrations. You can take the idiots out of the trailer park, but ~
Rogue Ad

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 12, 2009
 
What I see is the Humane Society logo on the website of the pet store owners (Paws and Claws) at companionkennels.org but I do not see a Paws and Claws logo on the Humane Society website at http://www.tbayhumane.ca . This seems to indicate the pet store owners support the humane society but in no way says the Humane Society supports the pet store. Fyi Paws and Claws does not have a "logo" per se; they use a Dalmatian puppy character taken off the internet (most likely infringing on the owners copyright).

Dear Pet Store owners,
Please provide some proof the Thunder Bay & District Humane Society supports your store by way of an official statement or document.
Rogue Ad

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Hemivision wrote:
I asked to see an official statement or document, not something Loretta whipped up in a Word program. An official document would include letterhead and would be signed by the Humane Society's spokesperson. This appears to be an email to someone from someone who has nothing to do with the Humane Society and it is dated 2005. Do you need further clarification of what an official document is? Is this all you have to back up your statements? Aside from this letter being erroneous, it does not show any support for or even mention the pet store.

Another lie dismantled.
Rogue Ad

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Hemivision wrote:
That is not an official document.

Here is an example of an official document for Hemivision so he understands what is being asked of the pet store owners. In this letter from the Humane Society they acknowledge Loretta and Julie's Pet Store is misleading the public by putting false claims in their pet store guarantee.

http://hemivision.741.com/hs1.html

More pet store lies exposed.
Jennifer

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

She seems to make a habit of implying an affiliation with the OSPCA and Humane Society. Why doesn't the Humane Society do something to put an end to this?
Disgusted

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Why would Loretta have a copy of this email? Perhaps she does know someone at the Humane Society, obviously well enough to be sent this!
Buyer

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Okay, so can I just say something about these alleged letters from Troy Way posted on Companion Kennels? I've been skimming through them, and, having a few conversations over the computer with Troy myself, can say that those do no reflect his grammar or writing style at all! It seems more similar to Loretta's writing if anyone's...
Buyer

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
May 12, 2009
 
Truva? If you're attempting to tell me I"m someone I"m not, please don't waste your time.
And if these letters were so horrible, why weren't they made 'available' right away?... oh, they weren't in frames too were they?
anon

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
May 12, 2009
 
Truva is a greek word for Troy. Hemivision is trying to be smart and subtly threatening. Its a common ploy of the pet store groupies and cowards in general.
Anon

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
May 12, 2009
 
Buyer wrote:
Okay, so can I just say something about these alleged letters from Troy Way posted on Companion Kennels? I've been skimming through them, and, having a few conversations over the computer with Troy myself, can say that those do no reflect his grammar or writing style at all! It seems more similar to Loretta's writing if anyone's...
This is part of the reason the crown decided not to proceed with the case against Mr. Way. Fabricated evidence doesn't wear well in a court of law.

I think the crown did Loretta a favor by declining to proceed with the charges. Had she sworn under oath that the documents she presented were true, when in fact they weren't she could have faced perjury charges.

The court tends to admonish liars and the paper likes to print those nice quotes from judges when they point out how they don't believe a word that's been said.

Of course Loretta would claim something outrageous like the judge fully supported her right to file false claims.
Sandra

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
May 12, 2009
 
No, she was not cutting him some slack. If this is the real Loretta we are talking about, she made every pathetic attempt at having him charged with no success.
Hemi, you aren't supposed to be in this thread because it has nothing to do with the Sensational HotRods. Go away! Shoo shoo!
Sandra

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
May 12, 2009
 
Yeah because the Humane Society has been bought off by Paws and Claws and the Sensational HotHeads. Technically according to the OSPCA's positioning statements, the Humane Society cannot accept donations from a Pet Store because it would be a conflict of interest.
Sandra

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
May 12, 2009
 
It it owned by Dr. Jack Remus, and because they are affiliated with the OSPCA they have to follow the OSPCA's guidelines.
Legal Ed

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
May 12, 2009
 
Hemivision wrote:
I think the real truth is that she was cutting him some slack..... for now.
Actually she has nothing to do with the legal process. The Crown makes a decision based on evidence and if the case was dismissed before it even went to court then clearly the evidence was lacking. If her complaints haven't wielded a criminal charge then her case is weak to say the least. She can't make stuff up and expect it to be taken seriously Hemivision.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of152
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Thunder Bay Discussions

Search the Thunder Bay Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Assault victim dies 14 hr Medewiwin 3
Police Fri Medewiwin 3
Anti-racism rally held at Thunder Bay newspaper... Jul 10 Medewiwin 1
Metis youth canoe voyageur routes through north... Jul 9 Medewiwin 6
30 years later Jul 5 Becky 1
Northern mayors plan their next moves Jul 5 Medewiwin 2
The wild North Jul 3 students were warned that 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••