Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62676 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

truly

Buffalo, NY

#60384 Aug 17, 2014
Anon wrote:
My Husband, two children and I went to Mass at Assumption last Sunday for the first time, just to test the waters, we heard about last night's vigil Mass and Pot luck supper following, and thought what a good way to meet some of the other parishioners.
The bulletin said "just bring a salad or dessert, and join our parish family"
so we did! We dropped off our dessert that I made and the food looked great, a real taste of that Church. However, during the Mass the Pastor announced that all are welcome at the pot luck supper and a seat would be ready for you if you made a reservation, if you did not, you could stand in the vestibule and food would be brought to you at the front door.
I checked the bulletin, and nothing was said about a reservation.
Evidently, all are not welcome at that Church.
We will not go back.
The same thing happened to me, and I'm a parishioner. But it is encouraging to see how many show up if there's free food......
Interested

Buffalo, NY

#60385 Aug 17, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Was your dish a donation, an admission ticket or an invitation to rate you as the best cook in town? If there was no more room, you should be happy to give up your seat to somebody who might have been really hungry or who has been away from the church for a long time.
That is what welcoming parishes do.
You said you heard about it. Maybe there were instructions in a bulletin or announcements made when you were not in church. I am sure that the priest did not organize the dinner, some one else gave him the info. Sounds like a parish that cares about families. You should have gone checked it out.
Really Interested

Buffalo, NY

#60386 Aug 18, 2014
Its nice to know that the clergy are reading this blog and responding to it when its an entry about them. However, here is some advice for what its worth: its always best not to be too defensive - otherwise you are too obvious.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#60387 Aug 18, 2014
Interested wrote:
<quoted text> You said you heard about it. Maybe there were instructions in a bulletin or announcements made when you were not in church. I am sure that the priest did not organize the dinner, some one else gave him the info. Sounds like a parish that cares about families. You should have gone checked it out.
just to clarify, the bulletin from the previous Sunday invited one and all to the pot luck dinner at Assumption, and all you had to do was bring a salad or dessert.
My family brought a food item, and were all were told during the Mass that a reservation was needed to attend the dinner. It was not a welcoming situation.
We took our food donation to the lower hall before the Mass and did not go down to retrieve it after the Mass when we found out we were not welcome. I hope they enjoyed it.
Annono

Buffalo, NY

#60388 Aug 18, 2014
Anon wrote:
Do&#380;ynki Festival at Corpus Christi: Best Pierogi Contest on Saturday, Harvest Mass on Sunday, Polish music and dances, barrels of beer and plenty to cheer! See you there. Bring a friend... if you have one.
The Doe-Chinki at Corpus Christ was cold.windy, and rainy on Sat eve, and so was the food (cold I mean) and the place looks "war torn" with part of the tower down, and rectory entrance burned out, and the ripped, faded and torn Polish flags hanging the Sears Street.
Good music and piwo though.
You Got It Right

Buffalo, NY

#60389 Aug 18, 2014
Annono wrote:
<quoted text>
The Doe-Chinki at Corpus Christ was cold.windy, and rainy on Sat eve, and so was the food (cold I mean) and the place looks "war torn" with part of the tower down, and rectory entrance burned out, and the ripped, faded and torn Polish flags hanging the Sears Street.
It was all part of this year's Dozynki theme of re-creating Old Town Warsaw in the days following the War: burned out rectory entrance, torn Polish flags hanging from the poles of Sears Street (no pun intended), and the best was a portion of the steeple missing as though it were blown off during Nazi air strikes. I guess it worked. Thanks for your support. Hopefully you will return next year and we will try harder to be even more creative!
Pride

Buffalo, NY

#60390 Aug 18, 2014
Yes all the Buffalonians can be very proud of having a war torn city without having a war like Warsaw did. At least Warsaw rebuilt. What have the Buffalonians accomplished in the last 100 years. You don't even know how to keep what your grandparents built with no money and no College education. What is surprising is how could all those good people produce so many idiots like you that are now the leaders in the community.
Anon

Washington, DC

#60391 Aug 18, 2014
truly wrote:
<quoted text>
The same thing happened to me, and I'm a parishioner. But it is encouraging to see how many show up if there's free food......
Give them free food, they come.
Give them a good homily, they walk out!
Anon

Washington, DC

#60392 Aug 18, 2014
Annono wrote:
<quoted text>
On Saturday, the food was gone by 4 PM and on Sunday by the end of the day.
There was n rain on Saturday afternoon. You must have been in another part of town.
AndiA

Buffalo, NY

#60393 Aug 18, 2014
ANON wrote:
<quoted text>
Ther is no shortage of priests. There is only a shortage of good priests. I know there are some but where are they.
They are being judged as wanting because of stupid,petty things that anyone who is unhappy can make up or find to throw at them and they still perserve in love for their Lord and their people. You want to find them? GO look for them and you will find them.
Hawaii Joe

Lancaster, NY

#60394 Aug 19, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
On Saturday, the food was gone by 4 PM and on Sunday by the end of the day.
There was n rain on Saturday afternoon. You must have been in another part of town.
Oh! The humanity. Aloha!!!
Anon

Washington, DC

#60395 Aug 20, 2014
Pride wrote:
Yes all the Buffalonians can be very proud of having a war torn city without having a war like Warsaw did. At least Warsaw rebuilt. What have the Buffalonians accomplished in the last 100 years. You don't even know how to keep what your grandparents built with no money and no College education. What is surprising is how could all those good people produce so many idiots like you that are now the leaders in the community.
I saw a huge construction crane at CC. Thank God, it is not a swinging wracking ball.
anon

Hamburg, NY

#60396 Aug 20, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw a huge construction crane at CC. Thank God, it is not a swinging wracking ball.
My family and I are not parishoners but we certainly enjoyed ourselves at this years dozynki festival. We brought several friends with us and enjoyed the tour of the church too. The cupola is down for repairs and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see it up close and take photos as it is a piece of history. The band, food and beer were fantastic in our opinion. The Polish Cafe was immaculate and a nice place to get away from loud activity and relax with a coffee and dessert. We found everyone to be friendly and working hard to make it enjoyable. Hats off to Corpus Christi and we hope the festival continues for years to come. If you are a negative person you will only look at the negative. There is so much good stuff out there now go find it!
Anon

Washington, DC

#60397 Aug 20, 2014
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
My family and I are not parishoners but we certainly enjoyed ourselves at this years dozynki festival. We brought several friends with us and enjoyed the tour of the church too. The cupola is down for repairs and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see it up close and take photos as it is a piece of history. The band, food and beer were fantastic in our opinion. The Polish Cafe was immaculate and a nice place to get away from loud activity and relax with a coffee and dessert. We found everyone to be friendly and working hard to make it enjoyable. Hats off to Corpus Christi and we hope the festival continues for years to come. If you are a negative person you will only look at the negative. There is so much good stuff out there now go find it!
I got there late and there was no more kaszanka, so a had three beers!
Hawaii Joe

Lancaster, NY

#60398 Aug 20, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I got there late and there was no more kaszanka, so a had three beers!
You are quite the lush. Aloha!!!
msgrbadski

Greenwich, CT

#60399 Aug 20, 2014
What is the story on Art Smith and Sicari?
Anon

Washington, DC

#60400 Aug 20, 2014
Hawaii Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite the lush. Aloha!!!
E Ola Mau Ka 'Olelo Hawai'i!
Annon

Buffalo, NY

#60403 Aug 21, 2014
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Are the priests still having sexual relations with parishioners there?
Interesting

Buffalo, NY

#60404 Aug 21, 2014
msgrbadski wrote:
What is the story on Art Smith and Sicari?
They're names both begin with the letter "s".
Anon

Washington, DC

#60405 Aug 21, 2014
In February, the Archdiocese of Chicago suspended Rev. Joseph Wilk for “substantiated reports” of sexual misconduct. This week the priest was declared to be “in good standing”. Apparently, the credible abuse report evaporated in thin air. So is the good name of a Catholic priest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Toronto ranked 10th best city for women in Cana... Nov 4 Love Machine 3
News Newfoundland to allow switch to gender-neutral ... Sep '17 Capt Craig 1
News DeJaynes ~ Jenssen (Jun '13) Sep '17 FindItDennis 5
News Food for Life distributes to eight Halton Hills... (Sep '15) Aug '17 organic eh 4
News St. John's volunteer, activist Susan Shriner pa... Jul '17 Donna Barrett 1
News Woodland council to talk about a sanctuary city... Jul '17 spytheweb 2
News The meaning of reconciliation: 'We're not anywh... Jul '17 Marked BonerCowSki 3
More from around the web