Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 59963 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#59608 Apr 10, 2014
The link does not take you right to the article,actually you need to go to Education News. It is a very good article.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#59609 Apr 10, 2014
Do Grosz and Mancuso still celebrate in the Byzantine Rite. Are there any other bi-ritual priests in DOB?
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#59610 Apr 10, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
Do Grosz and Mancuso still celebrate in the Byzantine Rite. Are there any other bi-ritual priests in DOB?
The Greek Catholics do. I know there is a Church in Lackawanna.
Priests

Buffalo, NY

#59611 Apr 10, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
Not sure about that, but there are a lot of gay priests in the DOB.
Bi-ritual

Buffalo, NY

#59612 Apr 10, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
Since Grosz gets to dress like a queen with a royal crown when celebrating in the Byzantine Rite, I'm sure he still is bi-sexual - I mean bi-ritual.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#59613 Apr 10, 2014
You guys will never change. You have to have the last word. Proud of yourselves. Stupid!
Anonymous

United States

#59614 Apr 10, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
The answers to all you question. No need for thanks!
http://www.wnycatholic.org .
Not all answers are good answers. For ex.,if a school is still viable with enrolment and finances, why close it now? Who knows what the future holds in 5 or 10 years?
Let us cross the bridge when we come to it.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#59615 Apr 10, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all answers are good answers. For ex.,if a school is still viable with enrolment and finances, why close it now? Who knows what the future holds in 5 or 10 years?
Let us cross the bridge when we come to it.
I think you MAY be sincere. I am done with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb and their sidekick. OK, did you read the article? 10 schools with 1,000 children. The Math is not good. There was a time when their were 35 kids per class and each grade had 2 or three classes. That ship sailed YEARS ago. By 2005 they were down to one class each with 20kids. That was in the "big" schools. You can not viably keep a school open with Pre-K-8 plus specials with 100 kids.
Anonymous

United States

#59616 Apr 10, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you MAY be sincere. I am done with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb and their sidekick. OK, did you read the article? 10 schools with 1,000 children. The Math is not good. There was a time when their were 35 kids per class and each grade had 2 or three classes. That ship sailed YEARS ago. By 2005 they were down to one class each with 20kids. That was in the "big" schools. You can not viably keep a school open with Pre-K-8 plus specials with 100 kids.
I was thinking about Elma.
And it is not just finances in our area. There are no more children! Nobody wants to talk about that. It is now a world problem: 80 countries have a fertility rate lower than the replacement rate. Many others have an ageing population which will not be replaced nor supported by a new work force. These are the richer, industrialized and mostly Christian countries.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#59617 Apr 10, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking about Elma.
And it is not just finances in our area. There are no more children! Nobody wants to talk about that. It is now a world problem: 80 countries have a fertility rate lower than the replacement rate. Many others have an ageing population which will not be replaced nor supported by a new work force. These are the richer, industrialized and mostly Christian countries.
Valid point. Most people have 1 or 2 children, if that. Also it is not so much they can not afford Catholic school as it is that they fled the cities for the suburbs and the taxes are prohibitive, Living in the city may not be ideal, however, taxes are lower, housing prices are lower, and their is more money for education. People are more obsessed with "the big house" in the "good neighborhood" than they are with raising and educating their children. Not all people but most.
Ed u

Lancaster, NY

#59618 Apr 10, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Valid point. Most people have 1 or 2 children, if that. Also it is not so much they can not afford Catholic school as it is that they fled the cities for the suburbs and the taxes are prohibitive, Living in the city may not be ideal, however, taxes are lower, housing prices are lower, and their is more money for education. People are more obsessed with "the big house" in the "good neighborhood" than they are with raising and educating their children. Not all people but most.
Then why do the suburban school districts provide a superior education at a fraction of the cost as compared to city schools.The graduation rate in the city of Buffalo is appalling.The logic borders on insanity.
Summer Cabins

Niagara Falls, NY

#59619 Apr 11, 2014
Amherst Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
The "Boy Toy" is NOT a priest. Father David Glassmires boyfriend is in fact decades younger than Fr. Dave, a kid, not a priest.! Last Thursday, Fri, Sat. I saw him at Fr. Daves(my neighbor) house all night long...I went to bed and the "BoyToy" still didn't leave. This weekend Fr. Daves "Pad" was rather quiet....is he actually spending some time at Ascension Parish in Batavia like he should? The Batavian should research this since the DOB is ignoring it! A Catholic priest and his open "Boy Toy"....real Catholic!
Is this a fact or fiction?
Anonymous

United States

#59620 Apr 11, 2014
A Florida jury acquitted a Protestant minister of 23 counts of sexual abuse. The jury found that the “credible” accusations were not credible.
In Minnesota, the defense of an accused priest asked the court to define the meaning of “credible accusation.” The decision is expected to have far reaching effect in many other cases.
Lamb of God

Hilton, NY

#59621 Apr 11, 2014
Summer Cabins wrote:
<quoted text>Is this a fact or fiction?
This is pure truth, since Boy Toy brags to anyone who will listen about his "Divine" sexcapades.
What Balls

Buffalo, NY

#59622 Apr 11, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith does not pay for the utilities, buildings, teachers, equipment, and maintenance. The people with all this "faith" should have been supporting their parishes instead of screaming about how each and every dime was spent. I have been listening to rants about huts, lake houses, and cars for months. In my humble opinion instead of reflecting inward at yourselves, you blame the priests and The Bishop. So they eat well and maybe they have a place to retire, What is the big deal? Selling the Bishop's residence or making the priests give up their retirement places is not going to fund the schools and the parishes. It is a false smokescreen to keep the so-called "faithful" from admitting they dropped the ball. The days of the nuns teaching for free are gone. Grow-Up peeps!
There is plenty of blame to go around for everybody but "the faithful" are not in charge.
So the buck and the ball stops at the top . It's obvious that the faithful have no faith in their leaders, don't believe them , don't respect them , don't want to support their lifestyle, and don't appreciate their parishes' money being confiscated in the the name of forced mergers that the faithful never approved.
Anonymous

United States

#59623 Apr 11, 2014
"I feel compelled to personally take on all the evil which some priests, quite a few in number, obviously not compared to the number of all the priests, to personally ask for forgiveness for the damage they have done for having sexually abused children.”(Francesco)
Anonymous

United States

#59624 Apr 11, 2014
What Balls wrote:
<quoted text>
There is plenty of blame to go around for everybody but "the faithful" are not in charge.
So the buck and the ball stops at the top . It's obvious that the faithful have no faith in their leaders, don't believe them , don't respect them , don't want to support their lifestyle, and don't appreciate their parishes' money being confiscated in the the name of forced mergers that the faithful never approved.
I am wondering how many lay people have the courage (and honesty) to speak up and go on record against the plans of their bishop. Not many bishops would ignore a strong opinion against them. In fact, for major decisions, canon law requires consultation and, in some cases, also approval by the College of Consultors, Priests’ Council and parishioners.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#59625 Apr 11, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I am wondering how many lay people have the courage (and honesty) to speak up and go on record against the plans of their bishop. Not many bishops would ignore a strong opinion against them. In fact, for major decisions, canon law requires consultation and, in some cases, also approval by the College of Consultors, Priests’ Council and parishioners.
You are correct to a point. You are assuming that a majority of people are against this. I do not think that is true. Most simply do not care. As difficult as transition is, some parents understand the need to consolidate to give their child/children the best education possible. Those who are disgruntled seem to think they own their parish. We are not Protestant. The Church owns the Church and the property. That is not new. When did it become fashionable to boss around the Bishop?
CONSULTATION

Buffalo, NY

#59626 Apr 11, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is Canon Law to have a consultation with those who oppose him then why is he not meeting with anybody? People are at least trying to understand what he is doing. Whether they agree or not and he isn't giving them the knowledge to figure it out for themselves. He is taking a one size fits all approach! Sad!!!!
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#59627 Apr 11, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to have my very own handy dandy copy of canon law. I have scanned the chapters and see nothing in it about schools. Would you mind giving me the Chapter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alberta premier won't back away from royalty re... Aug 23 JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 1
News Lack of Terry Fox Day hype insulting Aug 17 shinny shinbone 2
News Manitoba Terry Fox Day honours memory of famed ... Aug 3 August Schellenberg 1
News Winnipeg's parks -- spring into them (Apr '13) Jun '15 JUSTIN TRUDEAU 9
News St. John's United to host Hymns for Haiti (Jan '10) Jun '15 now Nepal 3
News RCMP 'inept, outdated,' Cummins says (Nov '11) Jun '15 Mike 5
...mission sTUTTERING.. Jun '15 PAUL SHYKORA arts 1
More from around the web