Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

Oct 14, 2007 Read more: WGRZ Buffalo 59,523
The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York. Read more
cannons

Buffalo, NY

#58110 Jan 30, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Can. 533 1.A pastor is obliged to reside in a rectory near the church. Nevertheless, in particular cases and if there is a just cause, the local ordinary can permit him to reside elsewhere, especially in a house shared by several presbyters, provided that the performance of parochial functions is properly and suitably provided for.
A few years ago, Msgr. Slubecky reminded pastors to live in the rectory. In any case, parishioners should not have to support the luxury of living expenses for priests who live in their own house, whether it is in the city or on the lake, and work only 3 or 4 hours a day.
The average working man can not afford this. They work for their money and they spend it wisely.
The local ordinary is always ready to shoot down the canons when they feel like it. I'm not just talking about residences .
FYI

Lancaster, NY

#58111 Jan 30, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>Some priests are saying 7 masses on weekends to make money for their lake summer huts, even though they already live in big rectories alone because they need 'special privacy.'
And they are working very hard and long hours to sustaintheir parish.
Transparency

New York, NY

#58112 Jan 30, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>The Bishop was very transparent when he announced the closings of 10 schools. What else do you want?
The way I understand it, several schools felt they met the criteria and can prove it, but are closing.My issue is why are so many schools looking for answers? Then, of course, the Bishop is not meeting with anyone. This has to be handled with Civil or Canon lawyers. That's what I mean by transparency. Certainly the adults who are protesting the decision understand projected trends and not having the money to keep a school open. Why does it need to be a mystery to all those involved. Who are the ones paying their salaries?
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58113 Jan 31, 2014
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>And they are working very hard and long hours to sustaintheir parish.
Really? No priest is overworked!
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58114 Jan 31, 2014
Fr. Corbin is in Florida with his lay male 'friend.' Nice vacation!
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58115 Jan 31, 2014
Transparency wrote:
<quoted text> The way I understand it, several schools felt they met the criteria and can prove it, but are closing.My issue is why are so many schools looking for answers? Then, of course, the Bishop is not meeting with anyone. This has to be handled with Civil or Canon lawyers. That's what I mean by transparency. Certainly the adults who are protesting the decision understand projected trends and not having the money to keep a school open. Why does it need to be a mystery to all those involved. Who are the ones paying their salaries?
Your curiosity is overly personal!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#58116 Jan 31, 2014
Poor Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody is going to make them do it and they can't be shamed into it either. They don't like the retirement homes. No privacy and no freedom. So they take extra money from the collection to pay for their personal pads.
Poor Pope - Do you know this for certain? The accusation that you're making, of priests stealing from the collection, is quite serious. It's a crime and is punishable by law.
If you know this to be truth, do the right thing and name the names of these priests.
If not, keep your pie hole shut and stop making false accusations!
FYI

Lancaster, NY

#58117 Jan 31, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>Really? No priest is overworked!
Speak for yourself.Each summer I am spending less time at the lake house due to added duties with less help.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58118 Jan 31, 2014
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>Speak for yourself.Each summer I am spending less time at the lake house due to added duties with less help.
You should not have the lake house in the first place. Stay in the rectory! That is where a priest belongs to!
ROFJM

Atlanta, GA

#58119 Jan 31, 2014
FYI I THINK YOUR TALKING JUST TO TALK. I THINK YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT OR WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT SPECIAL PRIVACY. YOU RUN YOUR MOUTH A LOT FOR NOT HAVING ANY FACTS. TALK IN CIRCLES AND HAVE NO IOTA OF WHAT YOU ARE IMPLYING. YOU CREATE BAD FAITH BY DOING SO. WHAT ABOUT HAD ANSWERS INSTEAD OF STATING THAT PRIESTS SHOULD NOT HAVE HOUSES AND PRIVACY. IF YOU DO NOT PRIEST THEN JUST SIMPLY SAY. YOU TALK ABOUT FATHER JOE MORENO AS IF YOU KNOW HIM
little mermaid

Buffalo, NY

#58120 Jan 31, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Priests who don't take the vow of poverty are still not supposed live worldly lives. They shouldn't have large bank accounts, own private homes, boats, luxury cars,antiques and other worldly possessions. Finally there is a pope who is reminding them about this and they don't like it. Have you ever met a priest who was poor? Not me! Most get their $$$$ by robbing the collection basket and depositing that in their own bank account. They know what envelopes to touch and what ones not to. Some inherit but that is not where they get their fortune. Where did some of their families get the $$$$? Why from Fr. Sonnyboy who took care of Ma and Pa for being good Ma's and Pa's to them.
I agree with what you are saying. What about the "flower funds"?
ROFJM

Atlanta, GA

#58121 Jan 31, 2014
FYI, I THINK YOUR TALKING JUST TO TALK. I THINK YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT OR WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT "SPECIAL PRIVACY". YOU RUN YOUR MOUTH A LOT FOR NOT HAVING ANY FACTS. TALK IN CIRCLES AND HAVE NO IOTA OF WHAT YOU ARE IMPLYING. YOU CREATE "BAD FAITH" BY DOING SO. WHAT ABOUT ANSWERS INSTEAD OF STATING THAT PRIESTS SHOULD NOT HAVE HOUSES AND PRIVACY. IF YOU DO ABOUT FATHER JOE MORENO OR PRIESTS IN GENERAL THEN JUST SIMPLY SAY YOU DON'T. YOU TALK ABOUT FATHER JOE MORENO AS IF YOU KNOW HIM OH REALLY? WHAT DO YOU KNOW?
anon

Buffalo, NY

#58122 Jan 31, 2014
little mermaid wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with what you are saying. What about the "flower funds"?
Have you ordered flowers recently? If you have, you would know that they are incredibly expensive. I don't believe a priest could pocket money meant for flowers. It's more likely that the flower collection ran short and they had to contribute to it to pay the bill.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#58123 Jan 31, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>You should not have the lake house in the first place. Stay in the rectory! That is where a priest belongs to!
Everybody into the pool!
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#58124 Jan 31, 2014
OMG! How long is this nonsense going to go on. Anyone have something important to say?
little mermaid

Buffalo, NY

#58125 Jan 31, 2014
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>I believe S&L are birds of a feather that flock together.You are absolutely correct in your feelings about Fr. Joe. A better man you will never meet. He was the heart and soul of the St. Lawrence community.Always caring for the less fortunate and the suffering.
I know Msgr. "S" and "L" flock together. How big a part did the birds play? Do they know what Fr. Joe stumbled across or do they know he was killed? This so fits in with the topic of missing money, who takes what envelopes etc. Yes he was the heart and soul of St. Lawrence, St. Mary's in Catt. county. How many priest would drive down there for 8 years to say Sunday mass no matter the weather or the distance. He was a good man. I wonder who did what and why? We are like minded. We should compare stories on S & L! I can not imagine how his family is suffering over his loss.
ROFJM

Atlanta, GA

#58126 Jan 31, 2014
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>You should look at the man in the mirror instead of questioning others.
EXACTLY WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING HERE? I REALLY WANT TO KNOW.
little mermaid

Buffalo, NY

#58127 Jan 31, 2014
anon wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ordered flowers recently? If you have, you would know that they are incredibly expensive. I don't believe a priest could pocket money meant for flowers. It's more likely that the flower collection ran short and they had to contribute to it to pay the bill.
We all know there is so much money given for flowers and that most parishes work with the same florist. I am sure they get discounts. What happens to that extra money?
ROFJM

Atlanta, GA

#58128 Jan 31, 2014
Hi Mary Of Magnolia.. No disrespect here I was just speaking out to who ever "FYI" thinks they are with respect to someone who stated that Father Moreno should have looked in the mirror and I wanted to know exactly what they meant by the implication of all of what was said. Was referring that Priests should have noting as if they were doing something behind the walls of their homes. It was implying that something was going on behind Priests walls and we were calling them to task on it. Thanks.
anon

Buffalo, NY

#58129 Jan 31, 2014
little mermaid wrote:
<quoted text> We all know there is so much money given for flowers and that most parishes work with the same florist. I am sure they get discounts. What happens to that extra money?
We don't 'all' know that! Work with the same florist? I don't think so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Statistics Canada report says Quebec city of Sa... 8 hr Watchers 1
News Tee it up for charity (May '08) Mar 29 some give no rece... 4
News Ken Dryden's futuristic classroom a cross-Canad... Mar 29 know and see 1
News Lung Cancer Smoke Screen (Jun '09) Mar 25 Schmones 33
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Mar 25 rogers-wireless-b... 4
News Brighter, fresher space as St. John Ambulance o... Mar '15 John 1
News Ice conditions in Cabot Strait worst in three d... Feb '15 more 1
More from around the web