Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61153 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Anon

North Tonawanda, NY

#58051 Jan 26, 2014
St Ann Fan wrote:
The bishop would live in the rectory at St. Joseph's Cathedral, where he belongs.
agreed. Living in a mansion sends the wrong message.
Hmm

New York, NY

#58052 Jan 26, 2014
Hm.... the $500,000.00 educational endowment fund if not used goes to the St. Francis parish......... Hm.....If the parish closes the DOB get's it..........hm......
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#58053 Jan 26, 2014
Service wrote:
Elma Annunciation School, Orchard Park St. Bernadette School, and Tonawanda St. Francis of Assisi School are protesting Bishop's decision to close those schools, and other in June 2014. I hope that his priests are going to support the Bishop in these difficult times.
If the schools were broke they would have closed on their own instead of being forced. The only thing the priests can support is being bullied by 795 Main St. which is totally disconnected with the real people in the parishes. If the priests stand up for their parishes and schools they will get punished. You should know how the game is played by now.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#58054 Jan 26, 2014
Hmm wrote:
Hm.... the $500,000.00 educational endowment fund if not used goes to the St. Francis parish......... Hm.....If the parish closes the DOB get's it..........hm......
What hypocrites! If there is money they bully you , if there is no money they bully you. How do you believe anything they say.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58055 Jan 27, 2014
ANON wrote:
<quoted text>
What hypocrites! If there is money they bully you , if there is no money they bully you. How do you believe anything they say.
That is not true, sir!
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58056 Jan 27, 2014
St Ann Fan wrote:
The bishop would live in the rectory at St. Joseph's Cathedral, where he belongs.
That place is already overcrowded.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58057 Jan 27, 2014
ANON wrote:
<quoted text>
If the schools were broke they would have closed on their own instead of being forced. The only thing the priests can support is being bullied by 795 Main St. which is totally disconnected with the real people in the parishes. If the priests stand up for their parishes and schools they will get punished. You should know how the game is played by now.
Yes, those schools should have closed on their own sooner instead of waiting os someone else to make a decision. It is like number of parishes that are close to each other, and many of them are empty, and the attendance is poor. And they are found in some parishes in Buffalo, suburbs, Batavia, Dunkirk, Niagara Falls, etc.No need for a priest to keep multiplying masses while the next church is only few blocks away.Just down the road. Some are even saying 7 masses on weekends. Is that really necessary? What about Canon Law?
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58058 Jan 27, 2014
The Bishop is doing a great job. He should have closed 20 schools to stabilize the finances of those parishes.The Buffalo News gave a very good overview about the schools. Number of students in some schools in the last few years dropped dramatically. What does it say to you. Even public schools have problems with number of students.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#58059 Jan 27, 2014
Hmm wrote:
Totally agree. They (DOB) see that $500,000. They want it. I saw how they operated during JF&G - bottom line -- GREED & MONEY.- with absolutely no regard for the people..
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58060 Jan 27, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree. They (DOB) see that $500,000. They want it. I saw how they operated during JF&G - bottom line -- GREED & MONEY.- with absolutely no regard for the people..
Absolutely not true. There was no need for numerous church building within a few blocks from each other. More church building should close down even now since some are very close to each other.The sooner, the better! That will relieve some priests from those closed parishes to be placed by the Bishop in more needed places in the Diocese. No need for a priest to celebrate 7 masses on weekend while the next church is only few blocks away.Canon Law does not permit multiplication of masses unless there is an absolute and grave need. Good examples of this are found in Buffalo, Batavia, Niagara Falls, and other places.
Anon

Albany, NY

#58061 Jan 27, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>That place is already overcrowded.
Too bad. Make it work. Mansions are not for representatives of Christ here on earth. Jesus would not be living on Oakland place
FYI

Lancaster, NY

#58062 Jan 27, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>Oakland Place belongs to the Diocese. It is not a private possession of a bishop. Summer Huts by the lakes are private possessions of some priests, and Pope Francis wants them to sell that and give to the poor.
You know what. You sell your hut, and I will keep my lake house and we can call it an even exchange.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58063 Jan 27, 2014
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>You know what. You sell your hut, and I will keep my lake house and we can call it an even exchange.
I have no hut or any earthly possessions. Sell your lake house-villa, and give it to the poor.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#58064 Jan 27, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>Too bad. Make it work. Mansions are not for representatives of Christ here on earth. Jesus would not be living on Oakland place
How do you know that?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#58065 Jan 27, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>Your curiosity can be satisfied very easily. Call the Chancery, and request the financial repo rt, and you will see it for yourself.
The chancery will not give you any financial report of anything. And whatever report or financial rules they have can be suppressed by the boss. How do you think all the priests could make enough money to be able to afford all that private property. The suckers in the pews paid for them. The pope can keep dreaming about the poor.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#58066 Jan 27, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, those schools should have closed on their own sooner instead of waiting os someone else to make a decision. It is like number of parishes that are close to each other, and many of them are empty, and the attendance is poor. And they are found in some parishes in Buffalo, suburbs, Batavia, Dunkirk, Niagara Falls, etc.No need for a priest to keep multiplying masses while the next church is only few blocks away.Just down the road. Some are even saying 7 masses on weekends. Is that really necessary? What about Canon Law?
You consider celebrating mass real work? Maybe the other duties in the parishes but not mass. No pastor of any denomination looks overworked to me. Yea, what about that Canon Law? If someone would enforce it you would see a lot more work being done where it's necessary.....the POOR areas.
ANN

Buffalo, NY

#58067 Jan 27, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>St Ann is not financially sustainable and should not be used any more. Into that category will fall some other churches around the diocese which should be closed, and those priests could be sent to more demanding parishes across the diocese.
Who told you that it is not financially sustainable. Did someone do a study? Who would provide the money for demolition. Since demolition is not cheap why doesn't anybody want to answer this question? Who has sustained it all these years. Have you investigated that? You should not voice an opinion as if you knew the facts because that constitutes prevararication .
Anon

Albany, NY

#58068 Jan 27, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know that?
have you read the New Testament at all?
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#58069 Jan 27, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>have you read the New Testament at all?
I have a funny feeling it is not Service who has not read the New Testament. What exactly do you mean by that? Be careful now, there may be a few people on this blog who actually have read it.
FYI

Lancaster, NY

#58070 Jan 27, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>I have no hut or any earthly possessions. Sell your lake house-villa, and give it to the poor.
Why no hut. Maybe you have poor access to helpfull benefactors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
News Letter: Most-used libraries among those slated ... May '16 wabush-mines-clos... 1
News Grant Tapper: charged with sexually assaulting ... (Aug '08) May '16 Sinja 65
News Trudeau government to kick off new pipeline rev... May '16 CBC GEY NEWS at 11 1
News Food for Life distributes to eight Halton Hills... (Sep '15) May '16 sad 2
KHAN KAGE KHAT FIGHT - PC Leadership on PPV ! May '16 KHAN Senate Hosers 2
SENATE - PAY mike Duffy's Salary ! May '16 KHAN Senate Hosers 1
More from around the web