Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 63335 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Disillusioned

Hamburg, NY

#57972 Jan 22, 2014
The DOB could save alot of money by closing all of the rectories that house but one or two priests. House them all in one building. Money saved. Keep the schools like St. Francis in Tonawanda open. Think of the kids for a change.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#57973 Jan 23, 2014
Disillusioned wrote:
The DOB could save alot of money by closing all of the rectories that house but one or two priests. House them all in one building. Money saved. Keep the schools like St. Francis in Tonawanda open. Think of the kids for a change.
No way, sir! Close more schools and more almost empty churches!
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#57974 Jan 23, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Can the Buffalo Preservation Board and the Vatican be wrong in deciding that St. Ann’s be kept open? What did the diocesan Building and Properties Commission do in 50 years to prevent the deterioration of St. Ann’s? Preservation of this architectural jewel is not the responsibility only of “parishioners” who, the way, have proved to be able to support regular maintenance of the church, but of all the Buffalonians like the works of F. L Wright and J. B. Green. The diocese should facilitate, not oppose, the creation of an independent entity to conduct a structural evaluation, fund raising, repair and long term use of St. Ann’s.
Is the Buffalo Preservation Board and the Vatican going to pay the costly maintainance of St. Ann's buildings? Where is the money going to come?
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#57975 Jan 23, 2014
Good to hear that Bishop Malone denounced Gov. Cuomo's remarks. Catholics have as much right to participate in the political forum, as do Christian Scientists, Wiccans Jews, and Southern Baptists, not to mention atheists,( Me saying something good about a bishop of buffalo? Has anyone looked out their window and seen a pig flying by?)
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#57976 Jan 23, 2014
Kudos to St. Francis for fighting to keep their school open.
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#57977 Jan 23, 2014
"St. Ann's Church celebrated its final Mass... and fencing has been installed to protect pedestrians from falling debris.... the stones are broken and are in danger of falling off the face of the church." (WKBW-TV)
Did they put up the fencing for show?
Joachim

Utica, NY

#57978 Jan 23, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
"St. Ann's Church celebrated its final Mass... and fencing has been installed to protect pedestrians from falling debris.... the stones are broken and are in danger of falling off the face of the church." (WKBW-TV)
Did they put up the fencing for show?
Yes, the fence was put up for show, as were the orange cones needlessly blocking the right lane on Broadway. There is no falling debris, there never has been, and nothing is in danger of falling from the face of the building.

The Congregation for the Clergy was able to see past the local politics surrounding this issue. Good for them!
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#57979 Jan 23, 2014
Bishop Malone's rebuttal to Cuomo is now on Rocco Palmo's "Whispers in the Loggia:"
Ann

Buffalo, NY

#57980 Jan 23, 2014
Joachim wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the fence was put up for show, as were the orange cones needlessly blocking the right lane on Broadway. There is no falling debris, there never has been, and nothing is in danger of falling from the face of the building.
The Congregation for the Clergy was able to see past the local politics surrounding this issue. Good for them!
Agreed and thank you. Do our locals really think that Rome does not know what is going on with Bishops and Cardinals not only in Buffalo but Boston , New York, and Chicago et all.
Is it better for us to raise money for demolition and pay property taxes too? Who has supported the church since the good Jesuits left 8 years ago.
Ann

Buffalo, NY

#57981 Jan 23, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
<quoted text> But how many people would attend. and who is going to pay the bills?
The same people who have been paying them up to now. You should not state any opinion unless you are objective enough and ambitious enough to find out all the facts . Once you understand the whole argument then you arrive at an opinion. That is the difference between a fair person and a bubblehead . The others are evil windbags who repeat unproven facts
in order to advance an agenda. If all that fails they resort to personal and character assassination. Msgrs should be the first to seek and find the truth = Christ.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#57982 Jan 23, 2014
Service wrote:
St Ann is a 'dead cow'. Why in the world would you keep empty church open and for what purpose? For a museum? For showcase?
St. Ann Church and Shrine is the most beautiful church in the city of Buffalo and in Western New York. For those who can read and can afford the magazine, please pick up a copy of The Western New York Heritage magazine and learn more about it. However we will not model our future plans after the very " service " civic minded style obvious in Niagara Falls for the past 50 years.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#57983 Jan 23, 2014
ANON wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Ann Church and Shrine is the most beautiful church in the city of Buffalo and in Western New York. For those who can read and can afford the magazine, please pick up a copy of The Western New York Heritage magazine and learn more about it. However we will not model our future plans after the very " service " civic minded style obvious in Niagara Falls for the past 50 years.
Are you ready to pay all the bills at all times for that 'shrine?'
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#57984 Jan 23, 2014
Joachim wrote:
<quoted text>
The quote was from the local news, not me. There were many to chose from. Let me get this straight, you are willing to put people's lives in danger to keep that ramshackled old building. Did it ever occur to any of you that if you had maintained it all along, perhaps this would not be happening. I hate to bring this up but, have you seen Our Lady of Victory lately? It is proof of what happens when you continually maintain an old building.
Joachim

Albany, NY

#57985 Jan 23, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
The quote was from the local news, not me. There were many to chose from. Let m&#299;e get this straight, you are willing to put people's lives in danger to keep that ramshackled old building. Did it ever occur to any of you that if you had maintained it all along, perhaps this would not be happening. I hate to bring this up but, have you seen Our Lady of Victory lately? It is proof of what happens when you continually maintain an old building.
It is not ramshackle. Nobody's life is in danger, nor was it ever. Any expenditures for building repair over a certain dollar amount must be approved by the diocese and, for the past 20 years, they have been suppressing the parish with the intent on forcing its closure. Yes, I've been to the OLV basilica and yes, I agree that it's a nice example of beautifully maintained church. It's also 40-50 years newer than St. Ann's and not being suppressed by the diocese.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#57986 Jan 23, 2014
Ann wrote:
<quoted text>
The same people who have been paying them up to now. You should not state any opinion unless you are objective enough and ambitious enough to find out all the facts . Once you understand the whole argument then you arrive at an opinion. That is the difference between a fair person and a bubblehead . The others are evil windbags who repeat unproven facts
in order to advance an agenda. If all that fails they resort to personal and character assassination. Msgrs should be the first to seek and find the truth = Christ.
I really thought all the evil windbags were at Corpus Christi Church. Are you telling me that there are others?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#57987 Jan 23, 2014
ANON wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite sure about your last sentence. What do you mean about the "service" civic minded style obvious in Niagara Falls. Please explain. Are you talking about a specific parish or all the parishes in NF ????
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#57988 Jan 23, 2014
Joachim wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not ramshackle. Nobody's life is in danger, nor was it ever. Any expenditures for building repair over a certain dollar amount must be approved by the diocese and, for the past 20 years, they have been suppressing the parish with the intent on forcing its closure. Yes, I've been to the OLV basilica and yes, I agree that it's a nice example of beautifully maintained church. It's also 40-50 years newer than St. Ann's and not being suppressed by the diocese.
I hear you and I understand. However, why was this battle not fought 20 years ago. I have been to St. Ann's on a Holy Thursday with a Church group, mostly our Confirmation students. It was more than 10 years ago and, no offense, the outside was a horror. If the parishioners had banded together, they would not have needed Diocesan approval to clean up and put things back together on a volunteer basis. I have never known the diocese to interfere with volunteers. If it meant that much, with all due respect, you would have taken it upon yourselves to fix it. FYI, OLV has its own money, always has, and seems like, it always will. I suppose we can thank Fr. Baker for that one.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#57989 Jan 23, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I really thought all the evil windbags were at Corpus Christi Church. Are you telling me that there are others?
There are plenty of evil people everywhere. It's not that hard to identify them.
anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#57990 Jan 23, 2014
Service wrote:
St Ann is a 'dead cow'. Why in the world would you keep empty church open and for what purpose? For a museum? For showcase?
You must be the bishops shill. Remember ,when he preaches its not about the money, guess what.. Its about the money.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#57991 Jan 23, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite sure about your last sentence. What do you mean about the "service" civic minded style obvious in Niagara Falls. Please explain. Are you talking about a specific parish or all the parishes in NF ????
Are you still 'fishing in muddy waters?'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'It's just really strange': Who is beheading th... Sun test 6
News Mainly about the money: Muskrat Falls inquiry l... Mar '18 water pollution 2 eh 1
News Passed out on Pleasant Street; in St. John's co... Mar '18 Witless Council eh 1
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Mar '18 best-cheapest-plans 8
News Virginia mom mysteriously disappears from front... Feb '18 Nutcase 1
News Some cups misprinted in Roll up the Rim contest... Feb '18 dmann 1
News 'Bring drums': Boushie support rallies planned ... Feb '18 Meso Hohni 1