Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61672 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Anonymous

New York, NY

#57949 Jan 21, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute, but I will not let you deter me from the truth. The Church is not nor ever has been a building. The Church is the group of people that come together ANYWHERE to give praise and glory to Our Lord.
OK, then knock all of the "church buildings" down, and see how many people come together in the -3 degree weather, rain and heat, to give praise and glory to our lord.
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#57950 Jan 21, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, then knock all of the "church buildings" down, and see how many people come together in the -3 degree weather, rain and heat, to give praise and glory to our lord.
My point was that it is not where you are. Some Churches are not able to sustain themselves. You can be anywhere if you have a deep faith. You could sit in a chair in the corner of your room and be with Our Lord.
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#57951 Jan 22, 2014
The Vatican has ruled against the DOB's closure of St. Ann's Malone is planning an appeal. Personally, I think Malone has got it right.
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#57952 Jan 22, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
The Vatican has ruled against the DOB's closure of St. Ann's Malone is planning an appeal. Personally, I think Malone has got it right.
I did a little research. Taking away the emotional aspects of this closure, it is probably the only route left. The Church is structurally unsound. People could get hurt. Perhaps if the parishioners had steadily maintained the façade over the years, it would not have come to this. I think that the people moved away some time ago and there just was not any money to do structural repairs. Also, even if they found a guardian angel to finance this MAJOR job, how many would maintain it after that?
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#57953 Jan 22, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
I did a little research. Taking away the emotional aspects of this closure, it is probably the only route left. The Church is structurally unsound. People could get hurt. Perhaps if the parishioners had steadily maintained the façade over the years, it would not have come to this. I think that the people moved away some time ago and there just was not any money to do structural repairs. Also, even if they found a guardian angel to finance this MAJOR job, how many would maintain it after that?
Yes, Mary, just what I have been trying to say. The Jesuits realized it was a hopeless case many years ago. Likewise, the Redemptorists closed St. Mary's even before that. And the DOB also closed Sacred Heart and St. Patrick's. Reality has to triumph over sentimentality..
Anonymous

United States

#57954 Jan 22, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Habla espanol? Parlez vois francais? You certainly do not speak English.
Oh, give me your nasal drawl and stretched out WNY vowels …
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#57955 Jan 22, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
Records on clergy abuse in the Archdiocese of Chicago are now n line. I wonder what w would encounter, if we could ever get similar documents rom the DOB?
Closure!!!!
Anonymous

New York, NY

#57958 Jan 22, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text> My point was that it is not where you are. Some Churches are not able to sustain themselves. You can be anywhere if you have a deep faith. You could sit in a chair in the corner of your room and be with Our Lord.
Imagine if everyone did that.....
The DOB wouldn't much like that!
There wouldn't be anyone to collect the money & envelopes.
MONEY, MONEY MONEY!!!!!!!!!
Joachim

New Paltz, NY

#57959 Jan 22, 2014
Mary- Are you a structural engineer? When was the last time you stepped foot inside St. Ann's? Does your research simply entail drinking Malone's kool aid? At this point, anyone that still believes the fantasy that $12 million is needed to "repair" St. Ann's is hopelessly lost.

And "Msgr" Badski- I truly hope that you are not really an ordained priest. Because, if your ministry consists of advocating for the forced closure of people's churches, you'd better stay away from any parish that I belong too!
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
I did a little research. Taking away the emotional aspects of this closure, it is probably the only route left. The Church is structurally unsound. People could get hurt. Perhaps if the parishioners had steadily maintained the façade over the years, it would not have come to this. I think that the people moved away some time ago and there just was not any money to do structural repairs. Also, even if they found a guardian angel to finance this MAJOR job, how many would maintain it after that?
Anonymous

United States

#57960 Jan 22, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
The Vatican has ruled against the DOB's closure of St. Ann's Malone is planning an appeal. Personally, I think Malone has got it right.
Can the Buffalo Preservation Board and the Vatican be wrong in deciding that St. Ann’s be kept open? What did the diocesan Building and Properties Commission do in 50 years to prevent the deterioration of St. Ann’s? Preservation of this architectural jewel is not the responsibility only of “parishioners” who, the way, have proved to be able to support regular maintenance of the church, but of all the Buffalonians like the works of F. L Wright and J. B. Green. The diocese should facilitate, not oppose, the creation of an independent entity to conduct a structural evaluation, fund raising, repair and long term use of St. Ann’s.
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#57961 Jan 22, 2014
Guys, I'd like to think that Mary of Magdala, Bishop Malone, and myself are somewhat realistic and honest. after all the critical remarks I have made about Buffalo bishops over the years, I never thought that I would wind up defending one. Wow, How times have changed.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#57962 Jan 22, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
Guys, I'd like to think that Mary of Magdala, Bishop Malone, and myself are somewhat realistic and honest. after all the critical remarks I have made about Buffalo bishops over the years, I never thought that I would wind up defending one. Wow, How times have changed.
There is only one side to any story that comes out of 795 Main. It's a one way building. Has anyone including our fine reporters ever asked why there is only one estimate and one estimate only regarding the structure of St. Ann's which has withstood many winters including this one and many storms. People have been seen praying in 0 weather next to the church and nothing has fallen on them. I think you and the Bishop should do what 's right and Mary should stick up for her old mother Ann . If people were sure you were really honest, you wouldn't need defending.
friends and family

Buffalo, NY

#57963 Jan 22, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
The Vatican has ruled against the DOB's closure of St. Ann's Malone is planning an appeal. Personally, I think Malone has got it right.
Bishop Malone should leave it alone and not waste his time and the Vatican's time. Isn't there a cost associated with appeals and demolition? Is demolition free? Or is it the same friends that make the money.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#57964 Jan 22, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text> My point was that it is not where you are. Some Churches are not able to sustain themselves. You can be anywhere if you have a deep faith. You could sit in a chair in the corner of your room and be with Our Lord.
Remind us again why we need priests and churches and THE Church. Especially since all the clergy is on a path to destroy anything and anybody that doesn't suit their purpose or disagrees with them in any way. Someone mentioned volunteers for the schools. Would you like to volunteer when all you get is a kick in the rear? If the pastors stop taking extra money for their personal " stuff" out of the parishes maybe you would see more volunteers.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#57965 Jan 22, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
Guys, I'd like to think that Mary of Magdala, Bishop Malone, and myself are somewhat realistic and honest. after all the critical remarks I have made about Buffalo bishops over the years, I never thought that I would wind up defending one. Wow, How times have changed.
It will be very difficult to give the worst Bishop of Buffalo award or the most loved Bishop award. The envelope please!
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#57966 Jan 22, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
Guys, I'd like to think that Mary of Magdala, Bishop Malone, and myself are somewhat realistic and honest. after all the critical remarks I have made about Buffalo bishops over the years, I never thought that I would wind up defending one. Wow, How times have changed.
Msgr. all you have to do is read the posts and realize, they simply do not get it.(not that I am in your league) For the person that wants to know if I am a structural engineer, Hey, when things are falling on people, it does not take a rocket scientist! I would not let anyone I cared about into that Church! On the subject of Malone, he is not a bad guy. He actually cares.(Did I just say that! LOL!)
Joachim

Albany, NY

#57967 Jan 22, 2014
Would you please reference an actual occasion when something "fell on someone" on the St. Ann's Church and Shrine campus? When did this occur?
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Msgr. all you have to do is read the posts and realize, they simply do not get it.(not that I am in your league) For the person that wants to know if I am a structural engineer, Hey, when things are falling on people, it does not take a rocket scientist! I would not let anyone I cared about into that Church! On the subject of Malone, he is not a bad guy. He actually cares.(Did I just say that! LOL!)
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#57968 Jan 22, 2014
St Ann is a 'dead cow'. Why in the world would you keep empty church open and for what purpose? For a museum? For showcase?
old timer

Lockport, NY

#57969 Jan 22, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
There is only one side to any story that comes out of 795 Main. It's a one way building. Has anyone including our fine reporters ever asked why there is only one estimate and one estimate only regarding the structure of St. Ann's which has withstood many winters including this one and many storms. People have been seen praying in 0 weather next to the church and nothing has fallen on them. I think you and the Bishop should do what 's right and Mary should stick up for her old mother Ann . If people were sure you were really honest, you wouldn't need defending.
,

remem,ber whern tjhey said the new cathedral was falling apart and it cost them extra
money to bring it down.
all because they wanted a senior house built there
Living Church

Albany, NY

#57970 Jan 22, 2014
St. Ann's is a parish. Here's a novel idea: Have Masses there!
Service wrote:
St Ann is a 'dead cow'. Why in the world would you keep empty church open and for what purpose? For a museum? For showcase?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Did Trudeau tip his hand on NAFTA? Not while Tr... Nov 19 JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 1
News Tar-covered ghost vessel from Canada hits Ireland Nov 15 McCafe 1
News Tar-covered ghost vessel from Canada hits Irela... Nov 15 McCafe 2
News Young Atlantic Canadians shouldn't have to leav... Nov 7 No Jobs No Cash eh 1
News NAC lands record $5M donation for unique fund t... Sep '16 Hosanna Deerchild... 2
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Aug '16 billion dollar claim 6
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
More from around the web