Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

Full story: WGRZ Buffalo

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Comments (Page 2,781)

Showing posts 55,601 - 55,620 of57,904
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Adam and Steve

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Sex wrote:
<quoted text>I was just waiting for you in the corner of my summer lake villa.
Why you are, of course!
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

MsgrBadski wrote:
Instead of re-building St. Ann',donate to St. Luke's Mission of mercy. Build up people, rather than out-of- date
structures.
Instead of independent agencies like St. Lukeís Mission of Mercy and others, why donít volunteers and priests work in parishes? Should anyone with a good idea do his/her own thing for his/her community?
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Note to all: Germain Grisez has advised that Pope Francis should weigh more carefully what he is saying in his interviews. They are, according to him, more like remarks at informal dinner parties. Compared to his predecessors, John Paul II and Benedict XVI, Francis is an intellectual light-weight. I have little problem with what he has said, I am more worried about some things he hasn't stressed. (Don't think for a moment that I like saying this.)
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Why don't people (non priests) who can't volunteer in the church for various reasons (like having a criminal record), volunteer in hospitals, literacy programs, neighborhood activities etc? If a priest has a criminal record, he could no longer present himself as a priest in good standing in THIS diocese. Perhaps they would like to take their argument to the public and see how the masses feel about their plight? Some people who now find themselves with a criminal record seem to think they are being treated unfairly. One would like to ask them how they think they treated someone that resulted in getting them a criminal record?
The answer is no.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

MsgrBadski wrote:
Instead of re-building St. Ann',donate to St. Luke's Mission of mercy. Build up people, rather than out-of- date structures.
Why do priests have time to go to St. Luke but no time for building up people in a real parish. Is it laziness? And how does St. Luke have all the money for restoration? And is there some other way to build people up besides a soup Kitchen? Shouldn't we be more worried about the 50% of young people who do not graduate from High School. Shouldn't we concentrate on the young before they graduate to prison and will forever need a soup kitchen. Do you know how many food places are in this county alone?
Mary of Magdala

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

MsgrBadski wrote:
Note to all: Germain Grisez has advised that Pope Francis should weigh more carefully what he is saying in his interviews. They are, according to him, more like remarks at informal dinner parties. Compared to his predecessors, John Paul II and Benedict XVI, Francis is an intellectual light-weight. I have little problem with what he has said, I am more worried about some things he hasn't stressed.(Don't think for a moment that I like saying this.)
I read his letter. I can understand your dilemma but I do not agree. The days of Benedict are gone. There will be no Church if there is no reform. Would you rather that?
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
I read his letter. I can understand your dilemma but I do not agree. The days of Benedict are gone. There will be no Church if there is no reform. Would you rather that?
some more reforms ,yes. But I am easily reminded of the "touchy-feely" attitudes of the '60's and 7o's ,when relating and openness were much more important than discipline and orthodoxy. Even at the Jesuit novitiate in Syracuse, there were problems, esp. with homosexuality. The master of Novices was seeing a psychiatrist several times a week.(He eventually ran off with a woman and later returned to the priesthood.) Jesuits, who were considered too "old-fashioned" or conservative were frequently given very demeaning assignment, below their capabilities and some were even forced to leave, because they had problems of "emotionally relating" to others. Egads.
Mary of Magdala

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

MsgrBadski wrote:
<quoted text> some more reforms ,yes. But I am easily reminded of the "touchy-feely" attitudes of the '60's and 7o's ,when relating and openness were much more important than discipline and orthodoxy. Even at the Jesuit novitiate in Syracuse, there were problems, esp. with homosexuality. The master of Novices was seeing a psychiatrist several times a week.(He eventually ran off with a woman and later returned to the priesthood.) Jesuits, who were considered too "old-fashioned" or conservative were frequently given very demeaning assignment, below their capabilities and some were even forced to leave, because they had problems of "emotionally relating" to others. Egads.
I so enjoyed your response. I understand what you are saying. As someone who has spent a fortune having the Jesuits educate her sons, I understand there are some difficult ones. However, I assume that the conclave must have understood what they were doing. The Church is in crisis. I understand your need for discipline and structure but it is a different world. You must corral them in before you lower the boom. Just a thought.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

I have not seen too many closings of churches and schools lately. Did Sr.Reggie go on early retirement?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

MsgrBadski wrote:
Instead of re-building St. Ann',donate to St. Luke's Mission of mercy. Build up people, rather than out-of- date structures.
Can you tell us why St. Luke has spent millions on rebuilding its out of date structure? Maybe because they are not under the order of the diocese and they can do whatever they want without permission.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Anonymous wrote:
I have not seen too many closings of churches and schools lately. Did Sr.Reggie go on early retirement?
don't worry, they're coming. Also lay and diaconal parish administrators.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

MsgrBadski wrote:
Note to all: Germain Grisez has advised that Pope Francis should weigh more carefully what he is saying in his interviews. They are, according to him, more like remarks at informal dinner parties. Compared to his predecessors, John Paul II and Benedict XVI, Francis is an intellectual light-weight. I have little problem with what he has said, I am more worried about some things he hasn't stressed.(Don't think for a moment that I like saying this.)
Pope Francis likes to talk off the cuff but his Santa Marta theology is often shaky. Card. Ratzinger once said that with the thousands of homilies pronounced every Sunday it is amazing that people have not yet lost the faith.
RTee

Lancaster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

Ratz is right. We have Yetter and the newbie at St. Lawrence who carry on 20 minutes too long and put the congregation to sleep. Almost like hypnosis.
DUNCE

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

MsgrBadski wrote:
Dear Msgr. Your logic escapes me. Are you really a Bishop? Why has St. Luke rebuilt ITS out of date structure? And why does it want all the rights and services of a parish without being one? So they can do whatever they wish without answering to anybody right? Isn't Catholic Charities capable of providing the needed services ? If not why not? I for one resent them calling themselves missionnariess when they are free lance. Why have people been thrown out of their churches but this place has the constant services of priests who are free lance too. Since you are a Msgr. or Bishop perhaps you can answer these points so dummies like me can understand .
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Pope Francis likes to talk off the cuff but his Santa Marta theology is often shaky. Card. Ratzinger once said that with the thousands of homilies pronounced every Sunday it is amazing that people have not yet lost the faith.
I have to admit the weekly papal audiences are somewhat of a disappointment. Francis I only speaks two languages, and I always enjoyed listening to the 8-9 languages that Blessed John Paul II and Benedict XVI used in their discourses. Nonetheless, Francis is our Pope, and I actually agree with everything, he is saying. I am slightly troubled by some questions that he still hasn't addressed.
Mary of Magdala

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

MsgrBadski wrote:
<quoted text> I have to admit the weekly papal audiences are somewhat of a disappointment. Francis I only speaks two languages, and I always enjoyed listening to the 8-9 languages that Blessed John Paul II and Benedict XVI used in their discourses. Nonetheless, Francis is our Pope, and I actually agree with everything, he is saying. I am slightly troubled by some questions that he still hasn't addressed.
What questions would you like him to address?
anonymous

Lancaster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a Santa Claus?
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question. OK discipline, liturgical abuses, seminary education, doctrinal deviations. sexual abuse problems, greater consultation with the laity,(even on selecting bishops) restoration of the diaconissate,,and role of women in general,
Polish Priest

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
We would like to know when are all da panees gonna die. We need their money to support our buildings especially the ones that are going to close.
Anonymous

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

Thank God for Pope Francis, he is a breath of fresh air to the Catholic Church. He speaks of ministering to the poor and not dwelling on abortion, birth control and homosexuality. He want to bring the church back to what it originally was designed to do. Celebrate the life of Christ and to praise and worship God.
It will be very interesting to see if terrible and arrogant priests like Ted Jost in North Tonawanda will be able to function.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 55,601 - 55,620 of57,904
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent St. John's Discussions

Search the St. John's Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Montrealer wants national day for Terry Fox on ... 11 hr UNESCO cancer cause 1
St. John's parish awarded to S.J. diocese Apr 13 RevKen 2
Canada Post raises stamp prices 35 percent Apr 6 less service higher rates 1
Priest facing sex misconduct allegation (Sep '13) Apr 5 Dave 5
HMP riot video fuels Opposition call for whistl... Apr 4 Charles McIlwain 1
Lung Cancer Smoke Screen (Jun '09) Mar 30 snorman jones 27
Physician-assisted suicide: dangerous and unnec... Mar 17 truth 3
•••
•••