Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 20 comments on the Oct 14, 2007, WGRZ Buffalo story titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#56895 Aug 17, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Just came home from there
small crowd, cold food and so so music
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????
Not the same
That's because Fr. Anzelm is not there working his magic and convincing people the parish and neighborhood are on the upswing. He performed wondrous deeds, no? Unfortunately, they had nothing to do with his priesthood or the welfare of his parish.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#56896 Aug 17, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I know this but I will probably get the wrong bishop. It was either Head or Mansell that put an end to that. I never understood it either.
New Question- Why is Malone still in Maine? Is Buffalo part-time?
Good question. Actually, the problem seems to be in the Vatican, where things have been slowing down for quite some time. Usually, in the past a diocesan ordinary would be appointed within 4-6 months of a vacancy. Now there are about 200 vacant sees. speculation is that things will perk up in the fall. We'll just have to wait and see.
Anonymous

United States

#56897 Aug 17, 2013
MsgrBadski wrote:
<quoted text> Good question. Actually, the problem seems to be in the Vatican, where things have been slowing down for quite some time. Usually, in the past a diocesan ordinary would be appointed within 4-6 months of a vacancy. Now there are about 200 vacant sees. speculation is that things will perk up in the fall. We'll just have to wait and see.
Papa Francesco has cancelled his vacation because, he said, he has work to do. He has already met with his Nuntii, possibly to ask them to submit acceptable names for the episcopate. He is now studying carefully many files and soon many diocesan chairs will be filled.

“Dorata's worthless turd”

Since: Mar 09

Buffalo, NY

#56898 Aug 17, 2013
Niagara Fancy Bakery wrote:
Anyone going to Dozynki at Corpus Christi Church this weekend?
Watt about you, Pani?

Will you dense in dat parking lot wit me?
Maybe we do bowlink?
I will half it nice bottle Old Krupnik to get it you in fine mood for fun tings.
Dunt wear it no gotchies.

Find it me in red Buick wit white winyl top.
Peek it in by dat side window. If you see it man wit no pence, dats me.

Bye bye, I talk by you later.
Niagara Fancy Bakery

East Aurora, NY

#56899 Aug 18, 2013
Buffalo BarFly wrote:
<quoted text>
Watt about you, Pani?
Will you dense in dat parking lot wit me?
Maybe we do bowlink?
I will half it nice bottle Old Krupnik to get it you in fine mood for fun tings.
Dunt wear it no gotchies.
Find it me in red Buick wit white winyl top.
Peek it in by dat side window. If you see it man wit no pence, dats me.
Bye bye, I talk by you later.
Pan -
Yes, I dense wit you in dat der parkink lot - we do polka & oberek you know.

If you give it to me Krupnik, I take it off my gatki for you, den we go behind it bush, or maybe in back seat of dat czerwony Buick.
I no bowl, but but we still have it fun!

I buy it peirogi i golabki for you, and maybe you give it to me your kielbasa - Yes?
Maybe we go in dat church and have it weddink for us. I need it, how you say..... green card. Wat you say?

OK - talk by you later.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56901 Aug 18, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I know this but I will probably get the wrong bishop. It was either Head or Mansell that put an end to that. I never understood it either.
New Question- Why is Malone still in Maine? Is Buffalo part-time?

Oh Artie, you remember that one all too well! You brought it up to Mansell at the Convocation and said priests should be rewarded and that it motivated them.
Watson

Westminster, MA

#56902 Aug 18, 2013
Bishop Malone now says he will demolish St. Ann's church.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56903 Aug 18, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Artie, you remember that one all too well! You brought it up to Mansell at the Convocation and said priests should be rewarded and that it motivated them.
There is no such thing as a Very Reverend. You will never come home. Get over it, you sold your soul.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56904 Aug 18, 2013
Watson wrote:
Bishop Malone now says he will demolish St. Ann's church.
Tis true. It is on the news. Where is it?
Marcin Kromer

Buffalo, NY

#56905 Aug 18, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Tis true. It is on the news. Where is it?
On the corner of Broadway and Emslie in Buffalo. There is no reason for this church to close, let alone be demolished. The alleged "safety issues" with the towers could be repaired for just $200k.
Niagara Fancy Bakery

East Aurora, NY

#56906 Aug 18, 2013
BarFly..... I no see you.
I am by polka bend i bar, lookink for you.
Are you stiff me, or you give it me stiff one, by czewony Buick?
Where you be?

“Dorata's worthless turd”

Since: Mar 09

Buffalo, NY

#56907 Aug 18, 2013
Niagara Fancy Bakery wrote:
BarFly..... I no see you.
I am by polka bend i bar, lookink for you.
Are you stiff me, or you give it me stiff one, by czewony Buick?
Where you be?
Oh my, Pani Fency, I wass it bad boy today.

I stop it at Roycraft for dat brunch but day tell it me dat der is dress coat.
I say it dat I not wear dress but half it on best polyeaster pence watt I get it from Spolka on Bratway many year goes it by.
I get trow it out so I wind it up by dat Bar Bills place down Main St. I get it yust sloppy drunk like I used to do it at dat Market Bar on Gibson.

Put it dat Buick car in East Aurora Platza and sleep too long to meat it you.

I am sure you fine buxom woman watt like it guy like it me.

Maybe sometimes we run it into each udder.
How bouts we meet by dat Heartstones Manor for dat Dyngus Day Party.

Bye bye for now.
I tink I might love it you.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#56908 Aug 19, 2013
AmPol wrote:
<quoted text>
For the last 30 years there has been no good reason to keep a seminary open for the 10 or 12 students that now live there. There are plenty of fine seminaries around the country and abroad that are better suited for the education of priests where students could attend for much less than it costs to keep Christ The King Seminary open. There is nothing prestigious about keeping the seminary here except that it is vitally important to the people here who run it for two reasons: 1) so that priests and religious who are better suited to academic pursuits than parish life can groom themselves and honor their self-importance 2) to keep candidates for priesthood with the mind for traditional catholic principals and teachings on the radar screen so they do not actually make it to orders or in the process to subject them to the right amount of psychological and emotional abuse until they are willing to think and do "as they ought." Unfortunately neither of these reasons are any good but the seminary crew are very eloquent in making a good case for themselves, they are connected and for that matter very powerful. So the bishop would have blood on his hands to make it end. Not something any bishop would want to attempt if he plans on rising in the ranks.
This is true. The seminary is largely kept open to ensure ideas from other areas of the church be kept out and produce the Buffalo brand of priest, i.e. totally mediocre. Whitney, who always regarded himself as the selector of priests, never hesitated to state that all he wanted was conformists. The late John Lambert Rowan also told his seminarians ,"not to rock the boat" Now look what the DOB has. what young man would want to be a "zombie", like most DOB priests are.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#56909 Aug 19, 2013
And look at some of the priests Whitney "selected", where are they today, Let me see. Hamann, Spielman, Kowalewski,Murray, Aymerich, Heiman, Wood, Tuchols, and quite a few others. Where are they today? Oh, the great spiritual director and Dean of Discipline!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56910 Aug 19, 2013
MsgrBadski wrote:
And look at some of the priests Whitney "selected", where are they today, Let me see. Hamann, Spielman, Kowalewski,Murray, Aymerich, Heiman, Wood, Tuchols, and quite a few others. Where are they today? Oh, the great spiritual director and Dean of Discipline!
The same for the priests from Corpus Christi
Where is Chalupka, Wydmanski, Laski, Shaner??????
We gave them so much, and now all we have is piwo and Do-Chinki.
Niagara Fancy Bakery

East Aurora, NY

#56911 Aug 19, 2013
Buffalo BarFly wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my, Pani Fency, I wass it bad boy today.
I stop it at Roycraft for dat brunch but day tell it me dat der is dress coat.
I say it dat I not wear dress but half it on best polyeaster pence watt I get it from Spolka on Bratway many year goes it by.
I get trow it out so I wind it up by dat Bar Bills place down Main St. I get it yust sloppy drunk like I used to do it at dat Market Bar on Gibson.
Put it dat Buick car in East Aurora Platza and sleep too long to meat it you.
I am sure you fine buxom woman watt like it guy like it me.
Maybe sometimes we run it into each udder.
How bouts we meet by dat Heartstones Manor for dat Dyngus Day Party.
Bye bye for now.
I tink I might love it you.
Pan BarFly - I like it bed boys, very good!
I wish I was wit you over by dat Bar Bill. I make it you toast - Na Zdrowie!

I would like very good to meet it you by Dyngus Day. I usually go by dat St. Stens in Polonia on East Side. Listen to dat Stephanie and Honky Bend - also Concertina All Star, my favorite.

I look for dat czerwony Buick and we hook-up.
Maybe we put dat car in Dyngus Day parade end wave bye-bye to da people.

Moj Kochanek,
- Pani Fency
Anonymous

United States

#56912 Aug 19, 2013
MEDITATION IN SHADOW OF ST. ANN'S - After the Second Punic War, the Roman senator Cato sentenced “Delenda Cathago est”. Sensing the approaching destruction of the city, the neighboring Numidians began to pillage and plunder Carthage of its wealth… To incite the army, the Roman senate even parceled out the land which was to be conquered to the soldiers. The story goes that after the victory at Zama, the Roman army salted the fields around the ruins of Carthage to prevent people to live there…
Crime and Punishment

Lockport, NY

#56913 Aug 19, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
The same for the priests from Corpus Christi
Where is Chalupka, Wydmanski, Laski, Shaner??????
We gave them so much, and now all we have is piwo and Do-Chinki.
Thank God for the Pauline Fathers. Corpus Christi would have been razed long ago just like what they want to do to St. Ann. What ever their faults I will take one Pauline over 100 Kmiec and Malones any time. The two worst Bishops this diocese has ever had.
Anon

Lockport, NY

#56914 Aug 19, 2013
Marcin Kromer wrote:
<quoted text>
On the corner of Broadway and Emslie in Buffalo. There is no reason for this church to close, let alone be demolished. The alleged "safety issues" with the towers could be repaired for just $200k.
Mobs in Cairo are looting and burning churches, nobody cares. Bishops in Buffalo prefer to spend money on demolition instead of restoration so that people may have hope and work toward keeping something beautiful. Does anybody care? The figures relating to St. Ann are fabricated. A testimony to malicious leadership with no sense of stewardship. Everything that comes out of 795 is a lie. THIS is the only truth we can believe in.
Anon

Lockport, NY

#56915 Aug 19, 2013
Pater Noster wrote:
What massive destruction. Beautiful churches will be lost to future generations! The patrimony of the diocese is being dismantled and sold off. Flourishing churches that have spent hundreds of thousands of dolalrs in the last few years are being closed! St. Mary's and Trinity in the Falls have been allowed to spend hundreds of thousands at each parish on renovation! The diocese allowed and approved these major expenditures and now they close these parishes? Something is terribly wrong in the Chancery! "Why sit we here idle?"
Has anything gotten better since 2007? They must be very proud of themselves at that Chancery full of mice. The men are gone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New surgeon joins hospital's team (Nov '08) Fri a look back 5
News Statistics Canada report says Quebec city of Sa... Apr 20 Watchers 1
News Tee it up for charity (May '08) Mar 29 some give no rece... 4
News Ken Dryden's futuristic classroom a cross-Canad... Mar 29 know and see 1
News Lung Cancer Smoke Screen (Jun '09) Mar '15 Schmones 33
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Mar '15 rogers-wireless-b... 4
News Brighter, fresher space as St. John Ambulance o... Mar '15 John 1
More from around the web