Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 59840 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

now now

Buffalo, NY

#56633 Aug 1, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comments are stale. Do you think you are cool because you know Fr.'s people are at Rushford? LOL! Want me to get Mike after you? I may still be able to! LOL!
Tell the truth......Artie had his own place in Rushford and went there just as Jim Judge goes to his place.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56634 Aug 1, 2013
now now wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell the truth......Artie had his own place in Rushford and went there just as Jim Judge goes to his place.
Hello!!!!!! who cares!!!!!!!

so what if there is a place to go to.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#56635 Aug 1, 2013
Former Catholic wrote:
<quoted text>
What a joke. If the Catholic church actually cared about its members, they wouldn't subject them to something that will cause them illness. Of course, they wouldn't expose children to known predators either.
Or would/have they?
Finally someone who figured out the church's secret plan to make everybody sick on gluton-tainted wafers, cheap wine and then molest the kids. Whatever you're smoking I think it's time to quit.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56636 Aug 2, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello!!!!!! who cares!!!!!!!
so what if there is a place to go to.
We could say that about most everything!

Obviously, you got my point and realize you were wrong.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56637 Aug 2, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
We could say that about most everything!
Obviously, you got my point and realize you were wrong.
Talking to yourself, again? LOL! Nothing creepier than someone who answers their own posts! ROFLMAO! FYI (Now now) that is not true. He never had his own place. Don't make stuff up!
Former Catholic

Buffalo, NY

#56638 Aug 2, 2013
AmPol wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally someone who figured out the church's secret plan to make everybody sick on gluton-tainted wafers, cheap wine and then molest the kids. Whatever you're smoking I think it's time to quit.
LOL
PLEASE..... I don't think there's a "secret plan" in place, made by the Catholic Church. I'm just saying that some of the laws are just too strict and ancient, and I believe that change needs to take place.

Take for example some recent Catholic controversies that highlight the crisis of leadership in Catholicism:
- A Catholic hospital in Ireland allowed a patient in its care to die rather than terminate her non-viable fetus.
- A Catholic high school administrator in Cincinnati was fired this week for expressing a personal opinion about marriage equality on his private blog.
- A Catholic teenager was denied the Rite of Confirmation in Minnesota for publicly supporting marriage equality on his Facebook profile.
- A Catholic hospital in Phoenix was condemned for terminating a pregnancy to save the life of a mother.
- The bishop of Peoria, Ill., compared the president of the United States to Hitler and Stalin.
- A grieving daughter in Maryland was denied communion at her mother’s funeral Mass because the priest thought she was a lesbian.
- Robert Finn, the bishop of Kansas City, Mo., was convicted of protecting a pedophile priest but somehow still remains in charge of the diocese.
- Employees and volunteers in the Diocese of Arlington, Va., are forced to sign a “loyalty oath” to the bishop or face termination.

These examples demonstrate a form of religious leadership that is far removed from the Gospel message of Christ. The Gospel’s call to love one another is the basis for the rich Catholic social teaching that sparked and nourished my love of God and church. It is this love that is absent from too many actions of our leadership. No wonder Catholics like me are despairing. We can’t find Christ in our church. And this is why I'm a "Former" Catholic.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56639 Aug 2, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking to yourself, again? LOL! Nothing creepier than someone who answers their own posts! ROFLMAO! FYI (Now now) that is not true. He never had his own place. Don't make stuff up!
Talking to myself? I think you've confused me with the Mary and Phil Show.

Art are we to think the Buffalo News and your own sister would lie about it?

Location hidden

#56640 Aug 2, 2013
Former Catholic wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
PLEASE..... I don't think there's a "secret plan" in place, made by the Catholic Church. I'm just saying that some of the laws are just too strict and ancient, and I believe that change needs to take place.
Take for example some recent Catholic controversies that highlight the crisis of leadership in Catholicism:
- A Catholic hospital in Ireland allowed a patient in its care to die rather than terminate her non-viable fetus.
- A Catholic high school administrator in Cincinnati was fired this week for expressing a personal opinion about marriage equality on his private blog.
- A Catholic teenager was denied the Rite of Confirmation in Minnesota for publicly supporting marriage equality on his Facebook profile.
- A Catholic hospital in Phoenix was condemned for terminating a pregnancy to save the life of a mother.
- The bishop of Peoria, Ill., compared the president of the United States to Hitler and Stalin.
- A grieving daughter in Maryland was denied communion at her mother’s funeral Mass because the priest thought she was a lesbian.
- Robert Finn, the bishop of Kansas City, Mo., was convicted of protecting a pedophile priest but somehow still remains in charge of the diocese.
- Employees and volunteers in the Diocese of Arlington, Va., are forced to sign a “loyalty oath” to the bishop or face termination.
These examples demonstrate a form of religious leadership that is far removed from the Gospel message of Christ. The Gospel’s call to love one another is the basis for the rich Catholic social teaching that sparked and nourished my love of God and church. It is this love that is absent from too many actions of our leadership. No wonder Catholics like me are despairing. We can’t find Christ in our church. And this is why I'm a "Former" Catholic.
Thank you for qualifying your post. These are some very good points which are very complex and for which the church, given it's mode of thinking about God, the world and humankind is ill-equipped to address. It is not so much about the Gospel or loving people enough; but more about the fact that that the church is too limited in its world view to speak to people's lives these days. Maybe the church could change itself to do that. But, in that case there would no longer be a Catholic church to speak of anymore; it could be something more relevant and maybe some kind of church but no longer a Catholic church. So that's where we are today.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56641 Aug 3, 2013
Art are we to think the Buffalo News and your own sister would lie about it?
Considering you do not think, I am not sure what your point is. However, I am curious what sister you speak of considering there are many and most have homes there. Also, smarty pants, is Fr. the only Arthur in the family? LOL! I know, it is hard not to be relevant!
Anonymous

United States

#56642 Aug 4, 2013
The Boston Globe, purchased in 1993 for $ 1.1 billion, was sold for 70 million. Law's revenge?
Fed Up

Buffalo, NY

#56643 Aug 5, 2013
I am just wondering about SJG. At mass Sunday, Ftr. Mike made it a point to say that he was in the Catholic newspaper - a picture of him with Bishop Grosz marching along at the Pulaski Day parade. I seem to notice here and there that everything seems to be about him ..... he is always tooting his own horn, looking for attention ..... me this or me that .... or is it just a misconception on my part?
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#56644 Aug 5, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
I am just wondering about SJG. At mass Sunday, Ftr. Mike made it a point to say that he was in the Catholic newspaper - a picture of him with Bishop Grosz marching along at the Pulaski Day parade. I seem to notice here and there that everything seems to be about him ..... he is always tooting his own horn, looking for attention ..... me this or me that .... or is it just a misconception on my part?
Maybe Krysa blood courses through Fr. Mike's veins. Ya think?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56645 Aug 5, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
Speaking of PhD, did St. Mary's ever pay back their $380,000 debt he left? St. Mary's bulletin last week -- asking parishioners to be generous and donate $40,000 to renovate ramp and add on an addition to the Catholic Charities building next door. From what I understand, Catholic Charities has vacated the building and moved to the old St. Joseph's school on Pine Ave.

Why is he putting on an addition? For what?

Location hidden

#56646 Aug 5, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
Not a misconception. You are perfectly correct. And if you want to get along in that parish you had better let Fr. Mike know how important, smart, flawless and wonderful he truly is.

Location hidden

#56647 Aug 5, 2013
AmPol wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a misconception. You are perfectly correct. And if you want to get along in that parish you had better let Fr. Mike know how important, smart, flawless and wonderful he truly is.
...or he will seek to destroy you.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56648 Aug 5, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
Why did Fr. Mike fire the organist at SJG? And why is he good enough for St. Stan's. I think he is the new guy is the line of many. Can't anyone manage to stay there?
Anondo

Buffalo, NY

#56649 Aug 5, 2013
What happened to Tony K?

Location hidden

#56650 Aug 5, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did Fr. Mike fire the organist at SJG? And why is he good enough for St. Stan's. I think he is the new guy is the line of many. Can't anyone manage to stay there?
Probably because Fr. Mike hoped the organist would take the rest of the "hyper-Polish" as he calls them, who insist on having "their own Mass" and strange religious customs (foreign to the model parish of Our Lady Help of Christians)along with him to St. Stan's where they'd be out of his hair for good.
I pray for you

Buffalo, NY

#56651 Aug 5, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that you didn't manage to stay here, but then that was somewhat different. It's apparent in the fact that you feel the need to divide us that you are unhappy in your life. I pray for you!
I pray for you

Buffalo, NY

#56652 Aug 5, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
This comes from a man who basked in being the center of attention. Jealousy will get you nowhere! All that you have now are a few statues, Laverne and her money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Winnipeg's parks -- spring into them (Apr '13) Jun 24 JUSTIN TRUDEAU 9
News St. John's United to host Hymns for Haiti (Jan '10) Jun 21 now Nepal 3
News RCMP 'inept, outdated,' Cummins says (Nov '11) Jun 17 Mike 5
...mission sTUTTERING.. Jun 12 PAUL SHYKORA arts 1
News Hamilton, Thunder Bay had most hate crime in Ca... Jun 10 Medewiwin 1
News Pot is no risk-free high for teens with develop... Jun 6 HumanSpirit 1
News Is it mind over meds in depression treatment? (Dec '11) May '15 Jamestheduke21 6
More from around the web