Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York. Full Story
Ellen Degeneres

Buffalo, NY

#56613 Jul 30, 2013
I wonder if Msgr. Gallagher would perform marriage ceremonies for gays?
Because

New York, NY

#56614 Jul 30, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just with the pastor of STA who told me the parish was dead and will probably close in the next few years. That comes from their own pastor.
If that came from Canada Jim you can bet on it closing. Even if it's doing well. He has a way of seeing things his own way. I think his brain filters and processes things that just fit his own agenda. Unless, the packed in crowd is giving lots of $$$. I know Msgr. Gallagher has a gift of homily, so he's probably packing them in, but I wonder how many are there from his old parish SJV just to see and hear him again? Will they be supporting St. Tommies or are they not? We'll see.
Anonymous

United States

#56615 Jul 30, 2013
http://catholicnews.com/

Over the weekend, federal and local officials freed 105 young people from the control of traffickers in 76 cities across the country. Authorities arrested 159 traffickers on state and federal charges in series.
Where is SNAP?
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#56616 Jul 30, 2013
Because wrote:
<quoted text> If that came from Canada Jim you can bet on it closing. Even if it's doing well. He has a way of seeing things his own way. I think his brain filters and processes things that just fit his own agenda. Unless, the packed in crowd is giving lots of $$$. I know Msgr. Gallagher has a gift of homily, so he's probably packing them in, but I wonder how many are there from his old parish SJV just to see and hear him again? Will they be supporting St. Tommies or are they not? We'll see.
The secretary from STA reports increase in new registrations to the parish.
Msgr. G's homilies are short and to the point, and I really mean it--to the point. VERY GOOD! I remember a Fr. Gary S. who preached short and to the point. They both deliver a sensible homily.
Another point I have noticed, the crowd is all ages and diverse ethnicity. I like it there, and I guess a lot of other people do too!
They sang a song called All are Welcome last weekend, and that Church certainly does make everyone feel welcome.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#56617 Jul 31, 2013
I must have missed something. When was Gallagher sent to STA? What are they doing with Judge, and his classmate, Zufoletto?
Anonymous

United States

#56618 Jul 31, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the good guys!
I have a friend who was a parishioner at Queen of Heaven Parish and switched over to St. John Vianney. Why? She has Celiac disease and cannot eat any kind of gluten/wheat flour. She makes her own gluten-free hosts/bread, but the priest at Queen of Heaven refused to bless them for her so that she could receive Holy Communion.
She heard about how nice of a priest Msgr. Gallagher was, so she asked him if he would bless her bread for her and he said YES! He would rather her receive communion than not.
She switched parishes since then.
Don't know if the new priest at SJV does is for her now that Msgr Gallagher is gone.
I suspect that the real story is tha the chld lined up for Communion bringing his own wafer and asked the priest to "bless it".... The special bread should have been given to the priest before mass or at the Offertory. Gluten-free bread need to be handled carefully but a little common sense can solve the problem. By the way, the priest does not "bless' the bread for Communion. HE CONSACRATES IT.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56619 Jul 31, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that the real story is tha the chld lined up for Communion bringing his own wafer and asked the priest to "bless it".... The special bread should have been given to the priest before mass or at the Offertory. Gluten-free bread need to be handled carefully but a little common sense can solve the problem. By the way, the priest does not "bless' the bread for Communion. HE CONSACRATES IT.
First of all, "she's" not a child, she's an adult.
Secondly, I'm not Catholic, so I don't know the correct ligo - "bless" vs. "consecrate" (but I DO know how to SPELL it).
So I guess the next time someone sneezes I should say, "God consecrate you". LOL
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56620 Jul 31, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't spell consecrate? Yes it is true that only a priest can consecrate, however, they bless little children and what kind of a nut would give a person with disabilities a hard time? Rat's ship has sailed......catch a ride!
Anonymous

United States

#56621 Jul 31, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Secondly, I'm not Catholic, so I don't know the correct ligo - "bless" vs. "consecrate" (but I DO know how to SPELL it).
So I guess the next time someone sneezes I should say, "God consecrate you". LOL
Donít be snarky. Child or adult does not make it different. A blessing leaves bread and wine what they are. The Consecration changes them into the Body and Blood of Christ, something which only a validly ordained priest can do as he acts in the person of Christ (=transubstantiation) through a properly celebrated Mass. Sorry, I donít use my spell-check but the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
anonymous

Poughkeepsie, NY

#56622 Jul 31, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is not a wheat wafer, it cannot be Holy Communion. A wheat wafer is required. You cannot use cider for the Precious Blood. If a priest says he is consecrating a piece of bread that is not wheat he is fooling/deceiving the person receiving. There are better solutions. Low-low gluten hosts which many can tolerate. Receive the Precious Blood Only, even if it must be given from a separate/distinct chalice/cup. options should at least be discussed.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#56623 Aug 1, 2013
Jim Judge always had a cynical streak.
Gtown71

Rockwall, TX

#56624 Aug 1, 2013
You folks shouldn't worry about any Catholic "churches " shutting down, you should be more concerned about what would happen, if COOKIE MONSTER shows up for mass :)
anon

Buffalo, NY

#56625 Aug 1, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
You folks shouldn't worry about any Catholic "churches " shutting down, you should be more concerned about what would happen, if COOKIE MONSTER shows up for mass :)
oh no we wouldn't have any communion cookies or are they crackers or no I think they are wafers
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56626 Aug 1, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT PASTOR?????? they don't have one. I hope you are not talking about Canada Jim?
Rushford Art, you remember Jim Judge.....he was your superior. He is the man chosen to lead and pastor the people who you led into debt.
Historian

Buffalo, NY

#56627 Aug 1, 2013
Dunkirk Dupa, I recently noticed that you are not the only Polish American writer of note from Chautauqua County. I came across a book on the history of Dunkirk writen by an author of Polish descent. At least she is a published author.
Lavender Lover

Buffalo, NY

#56628 Aug 1, 2013
Now that the pope has openly acknowledged that there are gay priests, will Bishop Malone organize a clerical gay pride event at the Oakland Place residence next June?
Shocked

Buffalo, NY

#56629 Aug 1, 2013
Lavender Lover wrote:
Now that the pope has openly acknowledged that there are gay priests, will Bishop Malone organize a clerical gay pride event at the Oakland Place residence next June?
WHAT?!?!?!?! There are gay priests? Oh MY!
What's next?.... black priests, Asian priests, WOMEN PRIESTS????
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56630 Aug 1, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Rushford Art, you remember Jim Judge.....he was your superior. He is the man chosen to lead and pastor the people who you led into debt.
Your comments are stale. Do you think you are cool because you know Fr.'s people are at Rushford? LOL! Want me to get Mike after you? I may still be able to! LOL!
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56631 Aug 1, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is not a wheat wafer, it cannot be Holy Communion. A wheat wafer is required. You cannot use cider for the Precious Blood. If a priest says he is consecrating a piece of bread that is not wheat he is fooling/deceiving the person receiving. There are better solutions. Low-low gluten hosts which many can tolerate. Receive the Precious Blood Only, even if it must be given from a separate/distinct chalice/cup. options should at least be discussed.
So then, what if you're an alcoholic with celiac disease?
THEN the church suggests you become a Jew.
Former Catholic

Buffalo, NY

#56632 Aug 1, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
What a joke. If the Catholic church actually cared about its members, they wouldn't subject them to something that will cause them illness. Of course, they wouldn't expose children to known predators either.

Or would/have they?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ice conditions in Cabot Strait worst in three d... Feb 28 more 1
Acton Public Library Presents Key Chain Collect... Feb 28 meanwhile 1
Lung Cancer Smoke Screen (Jun '09) Feb 10 sakshi11 30
Supplement industry under fire Feb 9 dot 1
who got the homes on farm Gulliver (Jun '14) Feb 8 WITH NO HELP 2
Victim's family calm this time as accused murde... Jan '15 Andrew 1
Man accused in brutal sex assault in Prince Alb... Jan '15 Bullies everywhere 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:45 am PST