Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York. Full Story
Anonymous

Lockport, NY

#56589 Jul 28, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>You are right, you don't understand poetry very well. The Cremation of Sam Magee is anything but sad! It is about hope and never giving up. It was quoted in an attempt to lighten the mood.
I married Isis on the fifth day of MayBut I could not hold on to her very longSo I cut off my hair and I rode straight awayFor the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong
I came to a high place of darkness and lightDividing line ran through the center of townI hitched up my pony to a post on the rightWent into a laundry to wash my clothes down
A man in the corner approached me for a matchI knew right away he was not ordinaryHe said, "Are you lookin' for somethin' easy to catch?"I said, "I got no money", he said, "That ain't necessary"
We set out that night for the cold in the NorthI gave him my blanket and he gave me his wordI said, "Where are we goin'?", he said "We'd be back by the fourth"I said, "That's the best news that I've ever heard"
I was thinkin' about turquoise, I was thinkin' about goldI was thinkin' about diamonds and the world's biggest necklaceAs we rode through the canyons, through the devilish coldI was thinkin' about Isis, how she thought I was so reckless
How she told me that one day we would meet up againAnd things would be different the next time we wedIf I only could hang on and just be her friendI still can't remember all the best things she said
We came to the pyramids, all embedded in iceHe said, "There's a body I'm tryin' to findIf I carry it out it'll bring a good price"[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/isis-lyrics-bob-dy... ]'Twas then that I knew what he had on his mind
The wind it was howlin' and the snow was outrageousWe chopped through the night and we chopped through the dawnWhen he died I was hopin' that it wasn't contagiousBut I made up my mind that I had to go on
I broke into the tomb but the casket was emptyThere was no jewels, no nothin', I felt I'd been hadWhen I saw that my partner was just bein' friendlyWhen I took up his offer I musta been mad
I picked up his body and I dragged him insideThrew him down in the hole and I put back the coverI said a quick prayer and I felt satisfiedThen I rode back to find Isis just to tell her I love her
She was there in the meadow where the creek used to riseBlinded by sleep and in need of a bedI came in from the East with the sun in my eyesI cursed her one time then I rode on ahead
She said, "Where ya been?", I said, "No place special"She said, "You look different", I said, "Well, I guess"She said, "You been gone", I said,"That's only natural"She said, "You gonna stay", I said, "If you want me to, yes"
Isis, oh, Isis, you mystical childWhat drives me to you is what drives me insaneI still can remember the way that you smiledOn the fifth day of May in the drizzlin' rain

Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56590 Jul 28, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
"At times we lose people because they don't understand what we are saying, because we have forgotten the language of simplicity and import an intellectualism foreign to our people," he said. "Without the grammar of simplicity, the church loses the very conditions which make it possible to fish for God in the deep waters of his mystery."
Amazing!
LOL! I received a very negative response to this posting. LOL! Notice it is in quotes? Guess who said little lambs????? Your Pope!
Anono

Buffalo, NY

#56591 Jul 28, 2013
What is going on at St. Tommies? Can't get a seat there the Church is so full.
Because

New York, NY

#56592 Jul 28, 2013
Anono wrote:
Is it because Msgr. Gallagher is there? Wow! What kind of music is there? Upbeat or boring? I'm going to that mass from now on.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56593 Jul 29, 2013
"If someone is gay, who searches for the Lord and has goodwill, who am I to judge?" Who wants to guess who said this?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56594 Jul 29, 2013
Anono wrote:
OMG...did someone steal the seats there? I know it would be easy because they are so empty all the time.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#56595 Jul 29, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
"At times we lose people because they don't understand what we are saying, because we have forgotten the language of simplicity and import an intellectualism foreign to our people," he said. "Without the grammar of simplicity, the church loses the very conditions which make it possible to fish for God in the deep waters of his mystery."
Amazing!
Art, I can hear your voice as I read!
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56596 Jul 29, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Art, I can hear your voice as I read!
Hate to break it to you but that was said by the pope! LOL! Why are you back.....you are annoying!
Anonymous

United States

#56597 Jul 29, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
"If someone is gay, who searches for the Lord and has goodwill, who am I to judge?" Who wants to guess who said this?
There we go again: objective truth and erroneous conscience. The pope did not just say “Who am I to judge”. He also said “(Active) Gays are [objectively] lost” and “they must be helped”. That’s the problem of off-the-cuff remarks and one-line moral theology. The pope spoke also of the Catechism.(see CCC,# 2357, 2358 and 2359.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56598 Jul 29, 2013
En lugar de preocuparse usted mismo con lo que soy. Por que no escuchar las palabrasde Su Santidad Francisco?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56599 Jul 29, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
There we go again: objective truth and erroneous conscience. The pope did not just say “Who am I to judge”. He also said “(Active) Gays are [objectively] lost” and “they must be helped”. That’s the problem of off-the-cuff remarks and one-line moral theology. The pope spoke also of the Catechism.(see CCC,# 2357, 2358 and 2359.
What's with the words in parenthesis? I am afraid that Rat's ship has sailed......you should have caught a ride! LOL!
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#56600 Jul 29, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
There we go again: objective truth and erroneous conscience. The pope did not just say “Who am I to judge”. He also said “(Active) Gays are [objectively] lost” and “they must be helped”.
Yeah, those GPS's are worth sh!t - no wonder why they're lost.

And how would one go about helping them?
I KNOW..... hold an intervention!- like on Seinfeld.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#56601 Jul 29, 2013
Whatever happened to Will Raimondo, who allegedly did so many priests of the DOB, esp at OLV?
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#56602 Jul 29, 2013
Where is Msgr. Badame's friend, John Wehrle?
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#56603 Jul 29, 2013
Whatever happened to AIDS support advocate, Ron Silverio? Actually, he was from Scio where his seminary classmate, James Spielman started his career as a child sex abuser. Spielman and Silverio were ordained together in 1970. Scio is also home to war hero Jason Dunham.
Because

New York, NY

#56604 Jul 30, 2013
Anono wrote:
Was this comment rooted in sarcasm? Did I fall for it? Was I that gullible? LOL.
Anono

Buffalo, NY

#56605 Jul 30, 2013
Because wrote:
<quoted text> Was this comment rooted in sarcasm? Did I fall for it? Was I that gullible? LOL.
I usually go to a Church that was supposed to close (almost no one goes there- fewer and fewer all the time) on the east side, but went to St. Tommies last Sat, and the Church was Packed!
I suppose the priest's homily to be persistent in prayer and all things good has worked for that parish. Nice place!
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56606 Jul 30, 2013
Anono wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually go to a Church that was supposed to close (almost no one goes there- fewer and fewer all the time) on the east side, but went to St. Tommies last Sat, and the Church was Packed!
I suppose the priest's homily to be persistent in prayer and all things good has worked for that parish. Nice place!
In all fairness, all the neighbors have noticed an uptick in traffic and cars parked all over the place and the parking lot packed.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#56607 Jul 30, 2013
MsgrBadski wrote:
Whatever happened to AIDS support advocate, Ron Silverio? Actually, he was from Scio where his seminary classmate, James Spielman started his career as a child sex abuser. Spielman and Silverio were ordained together in 1970. Scio is also home to war hero Jason Dunham.
Ron was a priest? I did not know that. I heard at one time that he was living with Mike Reister who was a very nice person and a huge help during the beginnings of the AIDS crisis in Buffalo. Mike was at one time a Franciscan. Nice guys!
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#56608 Jul 30, 2013
Anono wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just with the pastor of STA who told me the parish was dead and will probably close in the next few years. That comes from their own pastor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New mural a point of pride in North End 8 hr chugs are POS 4
First national study sheds new light on sex wor... Mon Canada Big High S... 2
Youth group to groom tomorrow's Globe stars (Sep '08) Sep 22 Video purports re... 6
Facts on candidates for leadership of Newfoundl... Sep 10 birds of some fea... 1
Faith groups gather in Oakville to promote peace Sep 8 good luck 1
Lung Cancer Smoke Screen (Jun '09) Aug '14 meverett 29
Time to move on from feud with Harper and MacKa... Aug '14 Mac 1

St. John's People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE