Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62098 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55871 May 22, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Art Smith is not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to clerical training. My favorite Art story is when he publicly asked a group of priests, "What age is it when older people are no longer required to go to confession?"
Regardless of that point, Polonia Phil, who made you the yardstick? And who says you and Mary aren't one and the same, as was previously stated on here.
By the way, your stories have been wrong before. Fr. is one of the sharpest knives in the drawer and for that you are angry and obsessed. No one brings up his name like you do....no one...not me, not Phil, not anyone. What the hell is your problem! Say it.....ONCE!!!!!! not over and over....ONCE!
PS I hope this isn't Liquor Boy who had the nerve to become a priest. My kids hated you.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55872 May 22, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
PS I hope this isn't Liquor Boy who had the nerve to become a priest. My kids hated you.
Hate is a strong word.
I don't believe I've ever hated anyone in my life.
you gotta be kidding

Buffalo, NY

#55873 May 22, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
Don't try to bully me! The best have tried and failed! LOL! What do you think the "money" for Masses is for? It's for the priests. LOL! While I am at it, I never understood why people spent so much time worrying about the comings and goings of the priests. They are not your personal slaves! Jeez!!!!!
When we parishioners request and pay for Masses to be said for our parents we should expect masses to be said! Of course the money goes to the priest who says the Mass, but in this case the money was pocketed and no masses will be said! I understand it would be difficult to schedule over 200 masses within the year but there many priests who need stipends for Masses and there are many missionaries who would love to say mass for our parents. This is clearly stealing from parishioners and robbing the dead of the graces that would be bestowed on them. Is this a common practice among priests? God mercy on these broken priests and on the souls of our parents.

When we parishioners request mass for out parents we expect masses to be said! Of course the money goes to the priest who says the Mass, but he is supposed to SAY THE MASS not just pocket the money. That amounts to stealing from parishioners and robbing graces from all those moms.

When we parishioners give money for Masses we expect that money to be given to the priests who are OFFERING the Mass said for our parents. In PhD's case no masses are offered and the money pocketed for booze and vacations. Not even Mothers Day Mass was offered for allthe mother's. Is this common practice among priests to take all the money, in this case for the 200+ mass offerings,
you gotta be kidding

Buffalo, NY

#55874 May 22, 2013
you gotta be kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
When we parishioners request and pay for Masses to be said for our parents we should expect masses to be said! Of course the money goes to the priest who says the Mass, but in this case the money was pocketed and no masses will be said! I understand it would be difficult to schedule over 200 masses within the year but there many priests who need stipends for Masses and there are many missionaries who would love to say mass for our parents. This is clearly stealing from parishioners and robbing the dead of the graces that would be bestowed on them. Is this a common practice among priests? God mercy on these broken priests and on the souls of our parents.
When we parishioners request mass for out parents we expect masses to be said! Of course the money goes to the priest who says the Mass, but he is supposed to SAY THE MASS not just pocket the money. That amounts to stealing from parishioners and robbing graces from all those moms.
When we parishioners give money for Masses we expect that money to be given to the priests who are OFFERING the Mass said for our parents. In PhD's case no masses are offered and the money pocketed for booze and vacations. Not even Mothers Day Mass was offered for allthe mother's. Is this common practice among priests to take all the money, in this case for the 200+ mass offerings,
Sorry for the repeat posts. They kept disappearing and I thought they were lost
Anonymous

United States

#55875 May 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I prefer to send Mass Money to Our Lady of Victory Basilica, Our Lady of Fatima Shrine, Marion Association (Divine Mercy Shrine in Stockbridge, MA). There are many places I would rather send the Mass Money, rather than give it to a Diocesan priest for his vacation.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55876 May 22, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate is a strong word.
I don't believe I've ever hated anyone in my life.
That is enough. I feel a case of PM....s coming on. Go away!
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55877 May 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I also have felt your frustration over the years. However, I have seen Masses in the bulletin that I forgot I got. That's how long it takes. Keep in mind, a lot of times the recently deceased families want extra Masses on certain days especially in the first few years. Most parishes attempt to accommodate that. I have had Masses I requested said 5 years later.
I know nothing about PHD so I shall not comment.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55878 May 22, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer to send Mass Money to Our Lady of Victory Basilica, Our Lady of Fatima Shrine, Marion Association (Divine Mercy Shrine in Stockbridge, MA). There are many places I would rather send the Mass Money, rather than give it to a Diocesan priest for his vacation.
Biggest scams going but do what you want...you always have!
Anonymous

United States

#55879 May 22, 2013
MASS OFFERINGS (stipends)
Can. 953 No one may accept more offerings for Masses to be celebrated by himself than he can discharge within a year.
Can. 954 If in certain churches or oratories more Masses are requested than can be celebrated there, these may be celebrated elsewhere, unless the donors have expressly stipulated otherwise.

Onless proven otherwise, the presumption of where and when the mass is to be celebrated is on the priest's side. The celebrant may use a legitimate donation as he sees fit If the celebrant is a religious, the donation goes to his order. The offering for a bination or trination is given to a cause designated by the bishop
(ex. education of future priests).

Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55880 May 22, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
MASS OFFERINGS (stipends)
Can. 953 No one may accept more offerings for Masses to be celebrated by himself than he can discharge within a year.
Can. 954 If in certain churches or oratories more Masses are requested than can be celebrated there, these may be celebrated elsewhere, unless the donors have expressly stipulated otherwise.
Onless proven otherwise, the presumption of where and when the mass is to be celebrated is on the priest's side. The celebrant may use a legitimate donation as he sees fit If the celebrant is a religious, the donation goes to his order. The offering for a bination or trination is given to a cause designated by the bishop
(ex. education of future priests).
Your answer is in the Canon. Who do you know that asks to have a Mass said from a particular Church and adds, oh by the way, if you can't do this this year give it to someone else. I know for a fact that in some more popular Churches...(OLV) the wait time is over a year, if you are lucky! This is just ridiculous!
Anonymous

United States

#55881 May 22, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Your answer is in the Canon. Who do you know that asks to have a Mass said from a particular Church and adds, oh by the way, if you can't do this this year give it to someone else. I know for a fact that in some more popular Churches...(OLV) the wait time is over a year, if you are lucky! This is just ridiculous!
The way I read Can. 945 is that unkless a person requests specifically that a mass be celebrated in that church, the priest (or parish secretary) can assume the mass could be celebrated elsewhere.
Priests should explain this and why to the faithful. With only 15% of Catholic attending church regularly, one wonders what the attachment to a particularly church is all about. Better have masses celebrated in mission countries by priests who may not even have a salary.
Bob

Lancaster, NY

#55882 May 22, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
The way I read Can. 945 is that unkless a person requests specifically that a mass be celebrated in that church, the priest (or parish secretary) can assume the mass could be celebrated elsewhere.
Priests should explain this and why to the faithful. With only 15% of Catholic attending church regularly, one wonders what the attachment to a particularly church is all about. Better have masses celebrated in mission countries by priests who may not even have a salary.
15% is really stretching the obvious.More like 9% attend regularly and that number is in decline.
you gotta be kidding

Buffalo, NY

#55883 May 22, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that not all Masses may not be celebrated in a particular church, but they should be celebrated somewhere. If the stipends are pocketed be the pastor how can they be celebrated somewhere else? Any Canon Law on that subject?
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55884 May 22, 2013
AmPol Eagle wrote:
<quoted text>
PhD received that AmPol Eagle award in the category of "Laziest Priest of the Diocese" and it was well deserved. May God bless you and Mary love you!
There is more than one who deserves that title. There should be a contest so the title is not used indiscriminately. The most hard working priests are gone or are too old. Just look at the spiritual and physical conditions of their parishes?
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55885 May 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I understand that not all Masses may not be celebrated in a particular church, but they should be celebrated somewhere. If the stipends are pocketed be the pastor how can they be celebrated somewhere else? Any Canon Law on that subject?
There is absolutely nothing in the church that is easily understood . Everything always has a clause or a loophole. No matter what you ask there is always a nebulous answer open to an infinite number of interpretations. This makes it very easy to forget all about Christ and open wide the door of deception.
Anonymous

United States

#55886 May 23, 2013
<quoted text>
How do you know that the priest did not send away the mass intentions?
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55887 May 23, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more than one who deserves that title. There should be a contest so the title is not used indiscriminately. The most hard working priests are gone or are too old. Just look at the spiritual and physical conditions of their parishes?
Yes, some of us have been around long enough to remember the great priests the DOB used to have. Gabalski, Eberz, Schneider, Duggan, Adamski, Selbert, Pollard, Marnon, Baumgarten, and many, many others, who left a good impression on many seminarians and parishioners alike. alas, today, look what we have.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55888 May 23, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying however, I disagree. I think this is one of those times when people actually have some connection to a particular church and/or priest. It's like a firefighter, you don't really care about them unless your house is on fire and then you are comforted by knowing the fireman. Keep in mind that this is a gift to the bereaved family. Most times on the appointed day, no matter how long it may take, some and/or many of the family will show up no matter what their usual church attendance. I know people who have yearly Masses said for loved ones for years and schedule them all at once. I know no one, although I am sure there are some, that ever begrudged the priests the stipend.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55889 May 23, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, some of us have been around long enough to remember the great priests the DOB used to have. Gabalski, Eberz, Schneider, Duggan, Adamski, Selbert, Pollard, Marnon, Baumgarten, and many, many others, who left a good impression on many seminarians and parishioners alike. alas, today, look what we have.
Is that fair? There are some contemporary priests have done a good job. Can't you name some a little younger? LOL!
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55890 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying however, I disagree. I think this is one of those times when people actually have some connection to a particular church and/or priest. It's like a firefighter, you don't really care about them unless your house is on fire and then you are comforted by knowing the fireman. Keep in mind that this is a gift to the bereaved family. Most times on the appointed day, no matter how long it may take, some and/or many of the family will show up no matter what their usual church attendance. I know people who have yearly Masses said for loved ones for years and schedule them all at once. I know no one, although I am sure there are some, that ever begrudged the priests the stipend.
I agree that no one should begrudge the priest the stipends. For the case of Mothers Day and Fathers Day when numbers of Masses have stipends given, it should be made clear if the Masses are to be sent to the missions along with the stipends or its one Mass for all and the hundreds or more will be pocketed by the priest to be used for his vacations

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OTTAWA - Everyone has Forgotten the POOR ! Thu Tommy Douglas-Mul... 2
News The Thursday news briefing: An at-a-glance surv... Mar 3 Dateless LAVAL Po... 2
News St. John's United to host Hymns for Haiti (Jan '10) Feb 28 do they know 4
News Projects promoting safe and caring schools thro... Feb 25 Atlantic 2016 1
News Newfoundland and Labrador to cut 287 management... Feb 24 Nfld 1
News No student should go hungry in Halton Feb '17 Mac 1
News Call Board auditions: Muhlenberg Summer Theatre... Feb '17 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web