Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62337 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55831 May 19, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly was hacked?
That's what we are trying to figure out. Why hasn't the the DA's office clarified the matter, one way or the other?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55832 May 19, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> That's what we are trying to figure out. Why hasn't the the DA's office clarified the matter, one way or the other?
I think you know better than this. How often does the Church involve the law? Only when pushed and pushed hard. I was thinking about when the child molestation cases first came to light. The Church ran mandatory in-services for all personnel on the evils of such activities. People who attended were instructed NOT to call the hotline but to report all incidents to the parish pastor. It was presented in a manner that gave the impression that you were not smart enough to know the truth and the pastor was. Sick stuff!
Really

Buffalo, NY

#55833 May 19, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> That's what we are trying to figure out. Why hasn't the the DA's office clarified the matter, one way or the other?
According to the DA report from Candace Vogel which the diocese received, computers were hacked and all emails and financial records were being read from the residence of James on Hoerner Street and the residence of Andrew's grandmother on Weimar Street, over a period of several months.
Getting ticked

Niagara Falls, Canada

#55834 May 19, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the DA report from Candace Vogel which the diocese received, computers were hacked and all emails and financial records were being read from the residence of James on Hoerner Street and the residence of Andrew's grandmother on Weimar Street, over a period of several months.
Since hacking is a federal offense and the FBI was involved, were they charged?
Polish National

United States

#55835 May 19, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Whose e-mails and financial reports were stolen?
Who actually read them?
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55836 May 19, 2013
Getting ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know the FBI was involved? Are you the hacker?
Bob

Lancaster, NY

#55837 May 19, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know the FBI was involved? Are you the hacker?
All this turmoil as I sit at the beach house waiting for the sunset.
Hacker

Needham, MA

#55838 May 19, 2013
Getting ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get ticked off. Just wolf downs pizza and a double order of wings. You'll feel better.
Polish National

United States

#55839 May 19, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the IP address was not protected
and some scumball got easy access to the data.
SJG bulletin

Buffalo, NY

#55840 May 19, 2013
It has truly been a week full of interesting events here at SJG’s. Last week we had our annual May Crowning and I was pleasantly impressed with the six people who attended. I checked all our parish records and I’m happy to say that I am the first pastor to have such a miserable showing for our annual May Crowning.
This past week I also had the pleasure of firing the organist. I’m hoping that my former organist Bob Winkler will accept this position.(Yes, I know I fired Bob when I was in the Falls, but I am an opportunist and even though you may despise his cheap dramatic opera voice, he will be able to handle the Polish Mass.) Having checked our parish records, I believe that I am the first pastor to re-hire an organist whom I had fired in a previous parish.
Two weeks ago I wrote in our bulletin that my birthday was approaching, along with my second anniversary as your pastor and the 24th anniversary of my ordination. I was hoping to be pleasantly impressed with a plethora of cards and monetary gifts. Unfortunately, your response did not leave me pleasantly impressed; however, I must say that you made up for it with your generous contributions for the Mothers’ Day envelopes. I know you think that these are being used for Masses, but since Canon Law requires that these Masses be celebrated within one year and we have a backlog of Masses with tens of thousands of dollars sitting in our Mass fund, I can just as well use these monies for my own personal savings. I also am beginning to realize that many of you thought you could place my birthday and anniversary money in these Mothers’ Day envelopes, rather than have to go out and buy a special card for me which I would throw out anyway. Perhaps I will use a portion of the $3,000 to replenish the well-lit liquor display cabinet – although the parish already pays for all my booze here and in my home, so why should I spend my hard-earned Mothers' Day money on my own booze! Oh well, Mothers’ Day is in the rear-view mirror and Fathers’ Day is fast approaching. It always seems to me that people are never as generous in the Fathers’ Day envelopes as they are for Mothers’ Day. You can make me pleasantly impressed by proving me wrong on this one, as I would like to remind you that I am "father" and most of the money you give for the Fathers' Day envelopes will be used for father's upcoming cruise. I will need some petty cash for antique clocks and naval ships. The Fathers Day envelopes will come in handy for this.
Lastly, this past week I did something that was not worthy of my PhD degree. As I opened the window in my bedroom, the air-conditioner fell out. I know you’re probably thinking what an imbecile I am, and because I do have a PhD, I should know that you don’t open a window with an air-conditioner in it. However, as I told the trustees just because I have a PhD, doesn’t mean I have common sense. And no, I was not drinking!(Of course I won’t admit to anything that makes me look bad - my philosophy of life). Having checked all the parish records, I am happy to say that I am the first pastor to open a window with an air-conditioner in it and watch it fall out. Nevertheless no one was injured below as it safely landed on the patio roof (which now has a large dent in it). Since we had over a million dollars in our savings, there’s plenty of money to buy a new air-conditioner and get a new patio roof. I still have a ways to go before I leave this parish with a debt as large as my old place - almost $400,000. Well, you can just imagine that because of all this activity of the last two weeks, I’m exhausted and will need to take off the rest of the week to get some rest; after all, my staff always tells everyone that I am the laziest priest in the diocese, and so I have a reputation to live up to.
May God bless you and Mary love you!(even though theologically that doesn’t make any sense)
Fr. PhD
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55841 May 19, 2013
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>All this turmoil as I sit at the beach house waiting for the sunset.
Be careful! People might mistake you for a whale.
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55842 May 20, 2013
Former priest, James Murray, died yesterday. He getting a memorial mass, despite his well-known lifestyle. He was at one time a faired-haired boy of the Chancery.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55843 May 20, 2013
SJG bulletin wrote:
It has truly been a week full of interesting events here at SJG’s. Last week we had our annual May Crowning and I was pleasantly impressed with the six people who attended. I checked all our parish records and I’m happy to say that I am the first pastor to have such a miserable showing for our annual May Crowning.
This past week I also had the pleasure of firing the organist. I’m hoping that my former organist Bob Winkler will accept this position.(Yes, I know I fired Bob when I was in the Falls, but I am an opportunist and even though you may despise his cheap dramatic opera voice, he will be able to handle the Polish Mass.) Having checked our parish records, I believe that I am the first pastor to re-hire an organist whom I had fired in a previous parish.
Two weeks ago I wrote in our bulletin that my birthday was approaching, along with my second anniversary as your pastor and the 24th anniversary of my ordination. I was hoping to be pleasantly impressed with a plethora of cards and monetary gifts. Unfortunately, your response did not leave me pleasantly impressed; however, I must say that you made up for it with your generous contributions for the Mothers’ Day envelopes. I know you think that these are being used for Masses, but since Canon Law requires that these Masses be celebrated within one year and we have a backlog of Masses with tens of thousands of dollars sitting in our Mass fund, I can just as well use these monies for my own personal savings. I also am beginning to realize that many of you thought you could place my birthday and anniversary money in these Mothers’ Day envelopes, rather than have to go out and buy a special card for me which I would throw out anyway. Perhaps I will use a portion of the $3,000 to replenish the well-lit liquor display cabinet – although the parish already pays for all my booze here and in my home, so why should I spend my hard-earned Mothers' Day money on my own booze! Oh well, Mothers’ Day is in the rear-view mirror and Fathers’ Day is fast approaching. It always seems to me that people are never as generous in the Fathers’ Day envelopes as they are for Mothers’ Day. You can make me pleasantly impressed by proving me wrong on this one, as I would like to remind you that I am "father" and most of the money you give for the Fathers' Day envelopes will be used for father's upcoming cruise. I will need some petty cash for antique clocks and naval ships. The Fathers Day envelopes will come in handy for this.
Lastly, this past week I did something that was not worthy of my PhD degree. As I opened the window in my bedroom, the air-conditioner fell out. I know you’re probably thinking what an imbecile I am, and because I do have a PhD, I should know that you don’t open a window with an air-conditioner in it. However, as I told the trustees just because I have a PhD, doesn’t mean I have common sense. And no, I was not drinking!(Of course I won’t admit to anything that makes me look bad - my philosophy of life). Having checked all the parish records, I am happy to say that I am the first pastor to open a window with an air-conditioner in it and watch it fall out. Nevertheless no one was injured below as it safely landed on the patio roof (which now has a large dent in it). Since we had over a million dollars in our savings, there’s plenty of money to buy a new air-conditioner and get a new patio roof. I still have a ways to go before I leave this parish with a debt as large as my old place - almost $400,000. Well, you can just imagine that because of all this activity of the last two weeks, I’m exhausted and will need to take off the rest of the week to get some rest; after all, my staff always tells everyone that I am the laziest priest in the diocese, and so I have a reputation to live up to.
May God bless you and Mary love you!(even though theologically that doesn’t make any sense)
Fr. PhD
Too funny! I almost choked on my morning coffee!
Anonymous

North Tonawanda, NY

#55844 May 20, 2013
SJG bulletin wrote:
This past week I also had the pleasure of firing the organist. I’m hoping that my former organist Bob Winkler will accept this a previous parish.
Fr. PhD
This is the funniest thing I have ever read, and probably completely true.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55845 May 20, 2013
SJG bulletin wrote:
Fr. PhD
Bravo! You should write a novel. Love it.
Father Emil

Buffalo, NY

#55846 May 20, 2013
SJG bulletin wrote:

Fr. PhD

I urge all people who read this to: PULL BACK, WAIT AND PRAY!

P.S. I thought he wanted to fire Noreen. That's what he told people.
Anonymous

North Tonawanda, NY

#55847 May 20, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Too funny! I almost choked on my morning coffee!
I P'd in my pants because I laughed so hard.
I am getting old.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55848 May 20, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I P'd in my pants because I laughed so hard.
I am getting old.
Outside of the AC part, would someone like to tell me what is so funny? I assume you are mocking the Church and you are not Catholic, and you do not attend Mass, and/or you are a disgruntle parish worker that thinks they know better. You people are a trip. Calling people out by name, mocking priests, quoting Canon Law. I am nauseous! I wonder if you people know how dumb you look.
Anonymous

United States

#55849 May 20, 2013
Let's pray for the people in Oklahoma. Horrible devastation.
Really

Buffalo, NY

#55850 May 20, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Outside of the AC part, would someone like to tell me what is so funny? I assume you are mocking the Church and you are not Catholic, and you do not attend Mass, and/or you are a disgruntle parish worker that thinks they know better. You people are a trip. Calling people out by name, mocking priests, quoting Canon Law. I am nauseous! I wonder if you people know how dumb you look.
No, it is not a funny matter. I'm a member of SJG parish, and I would like to say that using our money from the Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day envelopes for your personal savings, rather than for Masses - which is why we give that money - has nothing to do with being a "disgruntle parish worker." It has to do with justice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Human Rights Commission recognizes Internationa... May 17 Jeeshush Sheeeria 1
News Editorial: Young and homeless May 17 LMLS 1
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) May 3 just like here 6
News a Beyond bizarre:a N.L. premier under fire afte... May 1 Ex Senator Santpo... 1
News Community activities, meetings (Jul '09) Apr '17 Grandparent in Mi... 5
News Food for Life distributes to eight Halton Hills... (Sep '15) Mar '17 bureaucratic-eh 3
News O'Leary says Atlantic provinces rely too heavil... Mar '17 Ben 1
More from around the web