Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61250 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

i wonder

Buffalo, NY

#55730 May 8, 2013
John Paul II's blood is at CC? Good God!
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55731 May 8, 2013
Polski Historyk wrote:
<quoted text>
Antoni Klawiter, the Roman Catholic and, afterward, independent Polish Catholic priest, was born in Chojnice, in modern Poland, on November 12, 1836.
In 1859, he was ordained a Roman Catholic priest in Wloclawek, and became four years afterward one of many Polish priests who were involved with the Polish Insurrection of 1863. In late 1873 or early 1874, Father Klawiter emigrated to the United States.
Upon reaching America, Father Klawiter served as an assistant in various Chicago and Pittsburgh parishes. In October 1873 he became the first pastor of Saint Stanislaus Kostka in Pittsburgh.
Father Klawiter then moved to New York State, where he pastored Saint Hyacinth's Parish in Dunkirk (1881-1884) and founded Saint Adalbert's Parish in Buffalo (1886-1890). After various intrigues forced Father Klawiter from the Diocese of Buffalo, he pastored Saint Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr in Newark, New Jersey (1891-1892) and Saint Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr in Meriden, Connecticut (1892-1893). His final stint as a Roman Catholic pastor began in September 1893 at Saint Stanislaus Kostka in Winona, Minnesota, where he began the building of a huge new church.
In 1895, Father Klawiter became pastor of Mother of the Holy Rosary, a Polish National Catholic church formed in Buffalo by dissident members of Saint Adalbert's Basilica. For this he was excommunicated by the bishop of Buffalo, Stephen V. Ryan. However, he fell afoul of a dispute between his parishioners at the Polish National Catholic church the parish would affiliate itself with, and left in 1896. He then pursued opportunities with Polish-speaking Roman Catholic parishes in Cleveland, Ohio and near Denver, Colorado.
Father Klawiter associated himself in 1897 with Bishop Franciszek Hodur of the newly formed Polish National Catholic Church. He held several pastorates in the National Catholic Church before he left it in 1901 for the independent Catholic church overseen by Reverend Antoni Kozlowski of Chicago. In 1906, Father Klawiter relocated to Manitoba, where he became pastor of Winnipeg's independent Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish in 1907. He left, however, when it decided to affiliate with the National Catholic Church of Bishop Hodur. Afterward, Father Klawiter served as a mission priest in Mikado, Saskatchewan until his death on September 30, 1913. In the words of the Roman Catholic priest and chronicler of American Polonia, Father Waclaw Kruszka, it was easier to say where Father Klawiter had not served than where he actually had served.
thanks for this interesting account. Polish American should be more aware of their local history.
Polish National

United States

#55732 May 8, 2013
Fr. John Kmielinski, the pioeer of the Polish apostolate in New England (he established a dozen
parishes) wrote a century ago that if the Irish had understood the culture and traditions of the Polish people, they would have never searated from the Catholic Church. It happened with Germans before them at St. Louis. It was not just the issue of trustees and ownership of church property. It was a matter of being "diverse" Catholics.
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55733 May 8, 2013
I don't think the Irish are really attacking the Poles like they used to. Both sides realized how silly it was. eve before Stanley Brzana was named auxiliary bishop, way back in 1964, here were several Polish_American priests in high positions in the diocese. In some ways,the Polish American community may have done itself in, by abandoning the Broadway ,Sycamore area.

“Dorata's worthless turd”

Since: Mar 09

Buffalo, NY

#55734 May 8, 2013
i wonder wrote:
You know dat chunky girl, Dunkirk Dupa, watt rite tinks on here?

Well, from her I get it tiny piece off dat fecal matter on tip off my...never you mind it dat.

I talk by you later. Bye, bye.

And yes, God is good.
WildernessVoice

Buffalo, NY

#55735 May 8, 2013
So a priest I admire, who has helped beyond belief has been dismissed. this was his message on his facebook page. Shame on the people who made this decision! Although he would be the first to admit he's not perfect, he didn't deserve this. This is what he wrote on his facebook wall:

Dear Family & Friends,
One of the best things about facebook is the ability to get news out in an exceptionally quick way. The past year has been one of many trials and yet so more plentiful moments of great grace. As of May 1st I am on a leave of absence from active ministry as a priest. What does that mean? I am still a priest but cannot function publicly as a priest. Our theology teaches that once ordained a priest, a man is always a priest. I retain the humble privilege of celebrating the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, but only alone (well Dexter my dog will probably be watching), but no other person can be present.

**MOST IMPORTANTLY** please know I have no anger directed at our bishop nor at the Church. My anger is directed against an enemy I cannot see, a power that is not of God and that is only conquered by love. I believe in the power of Love and I refuse to give into anger which is contrary to that Love. I beg you to please continue to pray for me, others involved (including Bishop Malone, this was a difficult and heart wrenching conversation for both of us), and most of all for our world to reconcile with our heavenly Father and truly strive to live out His commands of love, mercy, forgiveness which only results in His everlasting peace.

God has blessed me in so many ways I am overwhelmed by His love shown through others. Each time I share this "upsetting" news people respond with great love and generosity. Praise be to Him! I am in the works of finding an apartment and am confident I do have one (thanks Mark or Tom). God shows me each day He will always provide. I have some leads on employment and furniture.

**MOST IMPORTANTLY** please know I have no anger directed at our bishop nor at the Church. My anger is directed against an enemy I cannot see, a power that is not of God and that is only conquered by love. I believe in the power of Love and I refuse to give into anger which is contrary to that Love. I beg you to please continue to pray for me, others involved (including Bishop Malone, this was a difficult and heart wrenching conversation for both of us), and most of all for our world to reconcile with our heavenly Father and truly strive to live out His commands of love, mercy, forgiveness which only results in His everlasting peace.(Yes I did repeat this paragraph to simply emphasize the peace I have with this and supplication for your prayers).

May His Peace be yours!
Be Missionary,
Paul

p.s. Some have asked, "what do we call you?" An extended family member is keeping my nickname of "FP". Instead of the "F" meaning "Father" it now means "friend" or any other kind adjective beginning with "F".

He's a bigger man than me!
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#55736 May 8, 2013
i wonder wrote:
Blessed Mary Angela Parish has the same relic i.e. a drop of JPII's blood and it's not traveling. It stays with the parish. It was given to us by Cardinal Dziwisz last November.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55737 May 9, 2013
Whom does he mean is his enemy? What do you mean by his not being perfect? If he is really your friend, the best way to help is to keep the facts straight and not wallow in sadness.
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55738 May 9, 2013
Salemi, now under the terms of the Dallas Charter?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55739 May 9, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
Salemi, now under the terms of the Dallas Charter?
I may be wrong but I have not heard that this was the problem. What is with this purging? I think it has more to do with personality difficulties but you just don't throw someone out because you do not like them. Do you?
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#55740 May 9, 2013
Dunkirk Connection wrote:
<quoted text>Blessed Mary Angela Parish has the same relic i.e. a drop of JPII's blood and it's not traveling. It stays with the parish. It was given to us by Cardinal Dziwisz last November.
For any skeptics out there, here is the squib from last week's bulletin:
Last November several of our parishioners participated
in a group pilgrimage to Poland. One of the highlights
was a group audience with the former personal secretary
to Blessed Pope John Paul II, Cardinal Stanislaw
Dziwisz in Krakow. During the visit, Cardinal Dziwisz
presented me with a special gift - a first class relic
containing blood of John Paul II, to be venerated at our
parish by all area Catholics and other people of good
will. I was assured by the Cardinal’s priest secretary,
that the drop of blood in the relic came from the
assassination attempt on the Pope’s life on May 13,
1981 in St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican. It happened
on the anniversary of the first apparition by Our Lady at
Fatima in Portugal on May 13, 1917. This May13th we
will honor Blessed John Paul II at a special Our Lady
of Fatima Mass at 6:30 PM at St. Hyacinth’s Church,
followed by a blessing with the John Paul II relic and its
individual veneration. A light reception will follow in
the Lyceum.
Fr. Matt
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55741 May 9, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be wrong but I have not heard that this was the problem. What is with this purging? I think it has more to do with personality difficulties but you just don't throw someone out because you do not like them. Do you?
Personality difficulties are not a cause for a restriction of a priest's activities. It must be something more serious and it seems to correspond with the Dallas charter. I have never really heard anything bad about Salemi. His remarks on Facebook do make it look serious. Well, we all remember the mysterious retirement of whitney and Berg about 10 years ago today. Still no explanation. Whitney is reported irked at the way Cunningham handled his
"retirement".
Miss Buffalo

Buffalo, NY

#55743 May 9, 2013
Dunkirk Connection wrote:
<quoted text>
For any skeptics out there, here is the squib from last week's bulletin:
Last November several of our parishioners participated
in a group pilgrimage to Poland. One of the highlights
was a group audience with the former personal secretary
to Blessed Pope John Paul II, Cardinal Stanislaw
Dziwisz in Krakow. During the visit, Cardinal Dziwisz
presented me with a special gift - a first class relic
containing blood of John Paul II, to be venerated at our
parish by all area Catholics and other people of good
will. I was assured by the Cardinal’s priest secretary,
that the drop of blood in the relic came from the
assassination attempt on the Pope’s life on May 13,
1981 in St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican. It happened
on the anniversary of the first apparition by Our Lady at
Fatima in Portugal on May 13, 1917. This May13th we
will honor Blessed John Paul II at a special Our Lady
of Fatima Mass at 6:30 PM at St. Hyacinth’s Church,
followed by a blessing with the John Paul II relic and its
individual veneration. A light reception will follow in
the Lyceum.
Fr. Matt
Thank you DC, You always tell it like it is.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55744 May 9, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Personality difficulties are not a cause for a restriction of a priest's activities. It must be something more serious and it seems to correspond with the Dallas charter. I have never really heard anything bad about Salemi. His remarks on Facebook do make it look serious. Well, we all remember the mysterious retirement of whitney and Berg about 10 years ago today. Still no explanation. Whitney is reported irked at the way Cunningham handled his
"retirement".
OK but he is no Chester (as in Chester the Molester), so what incurs the wrath of the DOB
star

North Tonawanda, NY

#55745 May 9, 2013
is he gay?mazur i mean?
Decorator wrote:
Is Yetter still running after Jacek? Any dinners scheduled for that purpose?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55746 May 9, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
OK but he is no Chester (as in Chester the Molester), so what incurs the wrath of the DOB
He doesn't have to be a Chester. All that is required is an accusation. No proof is necessary. Nothing needs to be substantiated.
Anonymous

West Falls, NY

#55747 May 9, 2013
star wrote:
is he gay?mazur i mean?<quoted text>
Since when?
star

North Tonawanda, NY

#55748 May 9, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when?
i did not though so thas y im asking
Anonymous

West Falls, NY

#55749 May 9, 2013
star wrote:
<quoted text>i did not though so thas y im asking
Hmmmmm....
dod

North Tonawanda, NY

#55750 May 9, 2013
yes yes yes...
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Aug 4 billion dollar claim 6
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
News Letter: Most-used libraries among those slated ... May '16 wabush-mines-clos... 1
News Grant Tapper: charged with sexually assaulting ... (Aug '08) May '16 Sinja 65
News Trudeau government to kick off new pipeline rev... May '16 CBC GEY NEWS at 11 1
News Food for Life distributes to eight Halton Hills... (Sep '15) May '16 sad 2
KHAN KAGE KHAT FIGHT - PC Leadership on PPV ! May '16 KHAN Senate Hosers 2
More from around the web