Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61078 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55689 May 5, 2013
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a good person gets you are to heaven not following a cult that tolerates priests that rape children!
Now, now calm down...you are not going to Heaven by invading this blog and talking about the Rapture. Please, I could not bear it. Have a good day!

“Dorata's worthless turd”

Since: Mar 09

Buffalo, NY

#55690 May 5, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now calm down...you are not going to Heaven by invading this blog and talking about the Rapture. Please, I could not bear it. Have a good day!
Mary, you're an old smoothie.
Anonymous

United States

#55691 May 5, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a shame to lose another good school. Obviously the problems are all financial. Could they have merged with another private school? Did they not plan in time? How will we have vocations if there are no Catholic Schools?
A senior priest in our diocese once said:
"If we don't have vocations,
perhaps we don't deserve them!"
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55692 May 5, 2013
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a good person gets you are to heaven not following a cult that tolerates priests that rape children!
It's sooo reassuring to hear from an expert who knows exactly how God thinks and also knows what God is going to do. It must be nice to have such confidence. Congratulations Know it All.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55693 May 5, 2013
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell it to the Imams. They will be happy to hear from you.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55694 May 5, 2013
Joachim wrote:
Should be a big crowd at St. Ann's 10am Mass tomorrow, after this week's atom bomb-esque news article.
St. Ann's has the most dedicated and hardworking people of any church anywhere. It's hard to believe that they are Catholic because they are so devoted, actually nice even though they have been kicked in the shins, ignored, neglected, harrassed and lied to. Still they love their church and keep the faith. You have to admire them. They need your help. Since you're out of town and can't go to mass, pray for them and send them a donation. Miracles do happen! They WILL put your money to good use.
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55695 May 6, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Ann's has the most dedicated and hardworking people of any church anywhere. It's hard to believe that they are Catholic because they are so devoted, actually nice even though they have been kicked in the shins, ignored, neglected, harrassed and lied to. Still they love their church and keep the faith. You have to admire them. They need your help. Since you're out of town and can't go to mass, pray for them and send them a donation. Miracles do happen! They WILL put your money to good use.
Even if the people are dedicated, the church will close. Look at all the parishes that have closed already in the DOB. Don't you think they had dedicated parishioners, too. One case in point-- Immaculate Heart of Mary on Edison St. they fought for year to keep the church open, yet now most of its parishioner go to St. Aloysius.
Anonymous

Holland, NY

#55696 May 6, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Even if the people are dedicated, the church will close. Look at all the parishes that have closed already in the DOB. Don't you think they had dedicated parishioners, too. One case in point-- Immaculate Heart of Mary on Edison St. they fought for year to keep the church open, yet now most of its parishioner go to St. Aloysius.
Once Reggie makes up here mind or holds a vendetta against a certain parish, it's over. No amount of negotiating, brainstorming, arguing, fundraising, etc. will help. She will NOT bend and everyone else sits back and quivers in their chairs in fear of ruffling her feathers and getting on her bad side.

This was the case five years ago. Does she still have all her power? Has Malone reined her in, or does he follow her orders like Kmiec?
Anonymous

United States

#55697 May 6, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Even if the people are dedicated, the church will close. Look at all the parishes that have closed already in the DOB. Don't you think they had dedicated parishioners, too. One case in point-- Immaculate Heart of Mary on Edison St. they fought for year to keep the church open, yet now most of its parishioner go to St. Aloysius.
At the beginning of the Journey of Faith and Grace, it was publicly admitted that 30-35% of the people would not go to the new parish.
Where did they go? With one third of the parishes closed, it the diocese
one third spiritually and financially better? Why can we have the real numbers from an independent study? Who is afraid of the truth?

Dismus

West Sand Lake, NY

#55698 May 6, 2013
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
You are grotesquely obese.
Anonymous

Holland, NY

#55699 May 6, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
At the beginning of the Journey of Faith and Grace, it was publicly admitted that 30-35% of the people would not go to the new parish.
Where did they go? With one third of the parishes closed, it the diocese
one third spiritually and financially better? Why can we have the real numbers from an independent study? Who is afraid of the truth?
When our parish closed 5 years ago, I'd say roughly 10%(and that might be on the high side) went over to the newly merged parish. Fast forward 5 years later - 90% don't belong to any parish. Many don't attend Mass, most roam here or there. No sense of belonging anywhere. Way to go DOB!!! Keep up the good workj!
Miss Buffalo

Buffalo, NY

#55700 May 6, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
When our parish closed 5 years ago, I'd say roughly 10%(and that might be on the high side) went over to the newly merged parish. Fast forward 5 years later - 90% don't belong to any parish. Many don't attend Mass, most roam here or there. No sense of belonging anywhere. Way to go DOB!!! Keep up the good workj!
Actually, I do not belong anywhere because 2 times I have been moved because of the journey we have been put sent on. What a ride! Both Churches closed. I will not put trust in the DOB again.
And, I do believe St. Ann's is being lied to, because we were.
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55701 May 6, 2013
Hot off the wire. Bishop McManus of Worcester,MA has been arrested for drunk driving.
anon

Buffalo, NY

#55702 May 6, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
Hot off the wire. Bishop McManus of Worcester,MA has been arrested for drunk driving.
Link goes to Law Firm. Legit press accounts say he was arrested 10:30 pm Saturday. Hit/Run no injuries listed. Will be arraigned tomorrow (Tuesday). Refused to be tested for alcohol. Says he's sorry for his poor judgment, had "drink" with "dinner".

BUFFALO: Rev. Paul Salemi announced his departure from the Diocese of Buffalo on Facebook.
Anonymous

Holland, NY

#55703 May 6, 2013
Miss Buffalo wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I do not belong anywhere because 2 times I have been moved because of the journey we have been put sent on. What a ride! Both Churches closed. I will not put trust in the DOB again.
And, I do believe St. Ann's is being lied to, because we were.
Totally agree. I would never ever trust the DOB -- lies, manipulation, more lies. JF&G opened the eyes of many.
Reality

Buffalo, NY

#55704 May 6, 2013
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
Stealing from the collection and hacking into computers will not get you to heaven.
Miss Buffalo

Buffalo, NY

#55705 May 6, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree. I would never ever trust the DOB -- lies, manipulation, more lies. JF&G opened the eyes of many.
Even worse, My family and I elected to stay in an area of the City of Buffalo partially because of the schools, and the Church.
Four Churches have been closed in our area. We are not trusting the DOB anymore. We are going where we want to go to Mass.
And MANY from our neighborhood have stopped going to Church since the Churches closed in our area. Especially since they are staying open in areas like the East side where few attend, and none live in the neighborhood. There are Churches on the East side that are blocks apart and they remain open and All except one, far from our home remain in the are of Buffalo that WE LIVE IN. We are not commuting from the suburbs.
One closed, we joined another and it closed.
Smart thinking DOB.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55706 May 6, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Link goes to Law Firm. Legit press accounts say he was arrested 10:30 pm Saturday. Hit/Run no injuries listed. Will be arraigned tomorrow (Tuesday). Refused to be tested for alcohol. Says he's sorry for his poor judgment, had "drink" with "dinner".
BUFFALO: Rev. Paul Salemi announced his departure from the Diocese of Buffalo on Facebook.
We are all being driven to drink just as we are being driven out of our churches by a leadership that has no vision, only malice.
Can't they just leave us alone?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55707 May 6, 2013
There is nothing in the last 5 messages that is not true.
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#55708 May 6, 2013
Here's a heads up for all you retired priests. I do the obituaries at the Dunkirk newspaper. Monday my boss was sent an obituary on Fr. Salvatore Cusimano along with a note that said the Diocese will NOT pay for any obituary in our paper, but thought we might like the information. This priest spent 16 years as pastor at the now closed St. John Bosco Church in Sheridan. He was an assistant pastor at Holy Trinity Church in Dunkirk. MANY people knew him here but that was of no concern to the diocese, or Kevin Keenan and the Office of Communications that sent us the obit. HOW SICK IS THIS? This man was 92 years old and devoted his entire life to working for the DOB. I called the Amigone Funeral Home and told them the diocese refused to pay for it. They in turn informed Fr. Cusimano's family who agreed to do so. The cost, including photo and website posting?$86.96. How low can you go, DOB?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun 25 Dying Smoker 2
News Letter: Most-used libraries among those slated ... May '16 wabush-mines-clos... 1
News Grant Tapper: charged with sexually assaulting ... (Aug '08) May '16 Sinja 65
News Trudeau government to kick off new pipeline rev... May '16 CBC GEY NEWS at 11 1
News Food for Life distributes to eight Halton Hills... (Sep '15) May '16 sad 2
KHAN KAGE KHAT FIGHT - PC Leadership on PPV ! May '16 KHAN Senate Hosers 2
SENATE - PAY mike Duffy's Salary ! May '16 KHAN Senate Hosers 1
More from around the web