Christian Church opens doors to Muslims

Christian Church opens doors to Muslims

There are 520 comments on the BBC News story from Mar 30, 2013, titled Christian Church opens doors to Muslims. In it, BBC News reports that:

On a bitterly cold and snowing afternoon in Aberdeen, the doors of St John's Episcopal Church are open to hundreds of Muslim worshippers, arriving for daily prayers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BBC News.

“Islam destroyed the Zip Code”

Since: Sep 10

Twin Towers

#22 Apr 1, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>I pray that JESUS crack that HARDENED and Uncircumcised heart of Joe DeCaro.
His hatred for the Islamists will not be exposed to the TOPIX Moderators as well.
Is your bible based on Islam?

Twin Towers

#23 Apr 1, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you a question or two or three.
How sure are you of the ultimate efficacy of the message, the Gospel, of Christ Jesus?
Who do you think is undeserving of being exposed to and immersed in His message?
If the Faithful receive just one person into their midst who, by some assistance from the Holy Spirit, ultimately GETS the message of the Gospel, just how important to the Body of Christ is that one person?
Your analogy of the camel is not an apt analogy or metaphor. The camel, itself a possession, is the most preferred beast of burden in the desert. The camel is a servant; useful, reliable, durable, with a number of essential purposes, and you are right in that it does not belong inside the master's tent - except during a sand storm.
However, Islam and the Muslim person is not in any way a "beast of burden" to the Christian. The Muslim may be more or less of a theological adversary to the Christian, at times. But, the Muslim is not a servant or ever to be regarded in servitude to you or me. He or she is simply a human being. The Muslim worships the same God as do you and I, and for that matter, the same God of the Universe as every person who understands that Being itself is the essence of Spirit.
The foundational message of Jesus Christ, the Triangle of Light, Life and Love, is not well understood and sometimes it is apparently least understood by its own supposedly most fervent advocates. It is a universal message of Eternal Life conquering death and can and should be acceptable to a person of ANY Faith.
Rev. Ken
We are dealing with evil people that bow down to Allah and lost their belief in Jesus a long time ago.
Allah has no son.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#24 Apr 1, 2013
NYC10048 wrote:
<quoted text>We are dealing with evil people that bow down to Allah and lost their belief in Jesus a long time ago.
Allah has no son.
There are a lot of people out there who have very backward, negative and downright evil views.

Let's just make sure that neither you nor I are one of them.

Yes, the Islamic extremist is an implacable foe, bent on wiping out anyone who will not submit. But, not every Islamist is just such an extremist.

The Muslim worshippers in Aberdeen are being shown a Christian hand, just as Jesus told us we should do.

I am not one who refuses to defend the innocent and defenseless just for the sake of claiming to be peaceable. But, I do not stereotype and make blanket judgments, either.

Rev. Ken

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#25 Apr 1, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your blanket assertions are unfounded. Your analogy is incorrect ...
unfounded? incorrect?

"The familiar sounds of Christian hymns have been replaced with Islamic prayer in the chapel this Friday lunchtime and the church priest with the imam from the neighbouring mosque."

Islam has REPLACED, not shared, Christianity in St John's Episicopal Church.

But then again, PB Schori considers islam just another pathway to God, despite John 14:6.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#26 Apr 1, 2013
NYC10048 wrote:
<quoted text>Is your bible based on Islam?
Just after ABRAHAM and SARAH....

Location hidden

#27 Apr 1, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
unfounded? incorrect?
"The familiar sounds of Christian hymns have been replaced with Islamic prayer in the chapel this Friday lunchtime and the church priest with the imam from the neighbouring mosque."
But then again, PB Schori considers islam just another pathway to God, despite John 14:6.
What a cry baby!!!! You rail against anyone who posts on here without using their own name and then you cry to the MODS because I used yours in a post. OK...JOLINE! I dub you JOLINE DECARELESS!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#28 Apr 1, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
unfounded? incorrect?
That's right. Unfounded and incorect. It's almost as if you simply do not understand what you have read.

The Episcopal priest saw the Muslim worshippers praying outside in the cold, because there wasn't enough room for them inside their small mosque (the picture shows their smallish mosque building, about 25 X 40' adjacent to the Episcopal Church).

Out of compassion, and knowledge, he offered to let them conduct some of their prayer services inside the Church.

What do you think he should do? Let them come in and get started with their prayers and then have the Episcopal organist pull out all the stops on the church organ and let loose with "Onward Christian Soldiers?"

Buddy, you are a real peach.

Do I have to spell it out for you? Jesus said, "Love your enemies...."

Don't you understand? The Gospel message is a universal message.

Rev. Ken
just saying

Saint Louis, MO

#29 Apr 1, 2013
NYC10048 wrote:
<quoted text>Is your bible based on Islam?
Under sj's white robe of stupidity lies evil.
She mocks The Lord God Almighty and praises Islam.
Hank

Piscataway, NJ

#30 Apr 1, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
That does not appear to be the case in Aberdeen, SD.
Come on rev, it is the islam way and you know it.
Stop pretending.

Twin Towers

#31 Apr 1, 2013
<quoted text>Just after ABRAHAM and SARAH....
I'm sure you've heard this many times at your local mosque:

"Oh Lord may the Christian's and Jews' children be orphans and their wives be homeless"

See how Islam is so loving to others of different faith?!
Hank

Piscataway, NJ

#32 Apr 1, 2013
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Bring organized religion to its knees. Fundamentally change it to be what you want not what G-d says.
Trust me here if enough muslims or gay lesbian types are admitted the Church will be done just as they want.

Twin Towers

#33 Apr 1, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. Unfounded and incorect. It's almost as if you simply do not understand what you have read.
The Episcopal priest saw the Muslim worshippers praying outside in the cold, because there wasn't enough room for them inside their small mosque (the picture shows their smallish mosque building, about 25 X 40' adjacent to the Episcopal Church).
Out of compassion, and knowledge, he offered to let them conduct some of their prayer services inside the Church.
What do you think he should do? Let them come in and get started with their prayers and then have the Episcopal organist pull out all the stops on the church organ and let loose with "Onward Christian Soldiers?"
Buddy, you are a real peach.
Don't you understand? The Gospel message is a universal message.
Rev. Ken
Many people do not seem to understand what Jesus was really like and what He really taught.

While it is true He taught, "love your enemies" and to "pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you" (Matthew 5:44), it is a misunderstanding to believe that Jesus taught that one could never point out the problems of religious enemies. I am thinking you are one of those bad fruits that he talking about.

Twin Towers

#34 Apr 1, 2013
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul also warned that even among the faithful, false ones would rise up and deceive: Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves (Acts 20:30).

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#35 Apr 1, 2013
NotQuiter wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am not. I am saying what Jesus said, not what he did not say as recorded.
<quoted text>
Yet these were resurrected by two prophets way before Jesus came to the earth as a human.
<quoted text>
Obviously one can be separated from God while alive.
<quoted text>
No, I am not. Jesus said he laid down his life, not just the man portion of his life, for his sheep.
<quoted text>
One subject at a time. In order to help you out, I will mention that Jesus was among the eventual offspring of David and Bathsheba on one side of his parentage, Matthew's geneology, Matthew 1:6.

You are deviating away from scripture.
Those that were resurrected back to life died again and waited for Christ resurrection to free them from eternal death.
You are running around like a chicken with its head cut off.
You are not thinking with your brain.
We are sustain by God till we die.
The separation occurs when your spirit leaves your body, that is the physical death.

By becoming a man He understood our human predicament. Death occurs when there is a separation of the spirit from the body that results in the bodily functions ceasing.

If Jesus was only mortal his blood could not count for anything in the future as a sacrificial offering, it would be no different than the application of the animal sacrifices of the earthly high priests.
The Son’s death had infinite value as the one who came to die was eternal- therefore His priesthood is eternal.

He was two natures in one person. 2 Cor 5:19 “that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself”

Phil.2:8:“Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”
Christ came to serve and give His life a ransom for many. This is the reason He became a human, to give His body as a propitiatory sacrifice to God, since God is Spirit He cannot die.

He picked the point of death. He cried out “it is finished.” The debt for sin was taken care of by Him being the last sacrifice accepted by the Father. He cried out once more to His Father saying,“Into Your hands I commit My Spirit” and then breathed His last and died.
He determined the exact time to dismiss His own Spirit (no ordinary man can make this happen).
No mere man can have control of His Spirit and determine the time of His own death by speaking. Only God has this ability.

In John 10:18: Jesus said “no one takes my life from me, but I lay it down of myself.”

When he died God (who is spirit) was separated from the body temporarily until the resurrection of which he also had control of.

Rev.1:18 says of Jesus “I am He who lives and was dead, and behold I Am alive forever more.” The same is mentioned in Rev.4:8-9 “who was and is and is to come.” This phrase through the book correlates to this fact that the one who died, resurrected in the same body (glorified) and is the one coming back to earth one day to rule.

You don't follow The scripture, you are all Over the place and confuse your self.
Take your time and try to understand the scripture.

Jesus was in control of His own Spirit on the cross, when He decided His work of redemption on the cross was finished He removed His Spirit from His body and died on the cross.

We die when our spirit leaves our body.
That is called physical death.

So for three days the body of Jesus was void of the spirit of Jesus
and after three days Jesus Spirit returned to His body in the grave and resurrected His physical body.

Once you understand that death occurs when the Spirit leaves the body it becomes clear that it was God on the cross doing the suffering on the cross paying the penalty for our sins.

When on the cross Jesus said it is finished His spirit left His Body and the body of Jesus died on the cross.

The Spirit of Jesus then Returned to the body and resurrected His body from the dead.
Cohen

Mississauga, Canada

#36 Apr 1, 2013
Sulaiman wrote:
Step in rigth direction.. We all serve One GOD I believe.
So can Christians and Jews come and pray in YOUR mosques in their own way to the one GOD?

Location hidden

#37 Apr 1, 2013
We all serve ONE GOD!
more truth

Tallahassee, FL

#38 Apr 1, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
That does not appear to be the case in Aberdeen, SD.
Not enough muslims there yet. They lie low until they attain a percentage that gives them the confidence to attack their neighbors. They are in the massacre business.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#39 Apr 2, 2013
RevKen wrote:
Don't you understand? The Gospel message is a universal message ...
... that has now been replaced at St John's Episcopal Church with
the message of the qu'ran, or is accomodating islam at the expense of the Gospel your idea of loving one's enemies?
We all serve ONE GOD!
Just because YOU can't tell the difference between Jesus and Muhammad doesn't mean that the rest of us serve Allah.

Twin Towers

#40 Apr 2, 2013
We all serve ONE GOD!
Allah is not another name for the God I serve. Though he's not Satan, he is a demon. Are you serving Allah? I believe you are.

Location hidden

#41 Apr 2, 2013
Y'all are some mixed up folks..I am a CHRISTIAN... I follow Jesus. Not Allah, Not Joseph Smith, not L. Ron Hubbard...JESUS! FOLLOW ME..that is what HE said. And I do!

It has nothing to do with hospitality. You hatred and fear will keep YOU from the Gates of Heaven.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. John's Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings ... (Oct '07) 8 hr Jonah 61,385
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Aug '16 billion dollar claim 6
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
News Letter: Most-used libraries among those slated ... May '16 wabush-mines-clos... 1
News Grant Tapper: charged with sexually assaulting ... (Aug '08) May '16 Sinja 65
News Trudeau government to kick off new pipeline rev... May '16 CBC GEY NEWS at 11 1
News Food for Life distributes to eight Halton Hills... (Sep '15) May '16 sad 2
More from around the web