eastcoastnew

Dartmouth, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

Hello there, I am moving to the st. catharines area in the next few months. Me and my wife have a 6 year old. We are looking for a nice family area with good elementary school. Currently we are looking at two homes. One is on TECUMSEH Street, the other is on OLD OXFORD rd.

I was wondering if either of these are good neighborhoods, also which elementary school would attend if you were in these areas. I noticed both Prince Phillip and Port Weller, are both nearby. Are both of these goods schools? one better than the other?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Green Vehicle Exchange

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Prepare for an entire family letdown this place ruined my business, family and kids. Rather than say 'HI" try adding it to the St. part of S" "T Catharines. Blue collar, crime riden,good for nothings, dwntwn looks the same as 1994 when I made fatal mistake. BrockU & Niagara College are brightlites. Hope u have good jobs as unemployment is double what is reported(so many that won't work you'll feel like you are back home, I tried down east & no one worked friday afternoons or wanted wknds in our factory so had to close and got stuck here).

Best of luck, try Grimsby
eastcoastnew wrote:
Hello there, I am moving to the st. catharines area in the next few months. Me and my wife have a 6 year old. We are looking for a nice family area with good elementary school. Currently we are looking at two homes. One is on TECUMSEH Street, the other is on OLD OXFORD rd.
I was wondering if either of these are good neighborhoods, also which elementary school would attend if you were in these areas. I noticed both Prince Phillip and Port Weller, are both nearby. Are both of these goods schools? one better than the other?
scarletgranny

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

eastcoastnew wrote:
I've lived in St Catharines nearly 35 years and have been extremely happy here (much happier than in T.O.). It's been a good place to raise a family and for twenty years my husband and I operated a successful business. Of course it would be unfair not to admit things have tightened up with the recent closure and/or layoffs at the many big-name businesses and industrial plants in the region (GM, John Deere, to name just a couple). But we've come through some pretty rough times -- it seems to move in cycles: early 80s, mid 90s, now late-00s; somehow we always managed to pick ourselves up and reinvent. Right now the entire province is in bad shape (so is the rest of the country!) so let's talk about the living itself. Jobs are scarce, must be honest -- times were you could arrive here from wherever and within a few weeks be employed in whatever your field; not so nowadays although the tech firms are still hiring. So unless you had a firm job offer already in the works, it wouldn't be easy -- not that it is anywhere else...Sure, there's crime (what city on earth doesn't have crime?), and there's a druggie area, and rundown spots here and there (again, where else doesn't have these?). Downtown is rather stagnant and uninviting, but when I think of Hamilton and Burlington and Oakville and even Mississauga -- well, let's get real...We have a wonderful arts society, we're surrounded by culture of all ilks and interests, there's a renowned University here, and a relatively good Ed. system. They are doing something with the hospital system that doesn't sit right with me but that's a rather lengthy story, too deep to get into here. The neighbourhood you've looked at to live is very nice, family-oriented, with parks in the near vicinity, the Canal within walking distance, close to amenities and schools. Both streets you mention are quite close to one another, by the way. I myself am a bit south of your area of interest but also on the east side --it's lovely with plenty of treed roads and avenues and lovingly tended gardens. By far one the nicest places I've ever lived, anywhere. Think in these scratchy time you just need to be employed BEFORE you arrive and get into mortgages and setting up home. I wish you good luck.
Sexual Assault

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2010

check out our show on March 5th at Castaways, in Thorold, JUST OUTSIDE of st catharines! damn good! www.myspace.com/sexualassaultt
scarlet

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

Unfortunately, I no longer have school-age kids and the grands live in Welland, so I don't have current experience. Both look OK to me, but somehow Prince Phillips kinda reaches out and grabs my attention more. Try searching Google for District School Board of Niagara for Hyper links to the school Web sites.
Madeline

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

My daughter and I plan to move to St.Catherines,Ont. She will be attending Brock University and we would like to know what areas of St.Catherines are nice and also close or fairly close to Brock University. I would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give me. Thankyou.
Johnson Moving c o m

Welland, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Thorold is close to Brock. A small town atmosphere....good for students !
Good Luck ! From : the Johnson Moving Team (St.Catharines since 1967).
JohnsonMoving .com
Edgar Lefebvre
Relocation Expert
NotHot

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

I've lived in the north end for the last 55 years and found it the best place in Canada to live. Port Weller and Prince Philip are great schools. the areas you mentioned are great. St. Catharines is what you make it. As a matter of fact anywhere you live is what you make it. You are right in the middle of everything. Find a nice house and enjoy yourself you wont be disappointed.
WonderTwinsDad

New Westminster, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Hello all. We are a family from Vancouver with 2.5 year old twins, looking at relocating to Niagara Region. Thanks for those you commented. It helps the rest of us. The main reason we are moving is the housing costs are more affordable than Vancouver. Average house in the suburbs is $450-600k vs. seeing on mls a full duplex for $175k. We don't have jobs lined up, but wanted to know how the job market is. I realized there will be less jobs and probably lower wages, but a slower pace and lower housing prices may be worth it. We have been to Niagara several times and loved it (it's like a mini las vegas, hopefully I didn't offend anyone :)I meant it in a positive way). We are probably looking at renting first to see what areas we like, then buy something after. Any real estate investors out there? We would eventually look at investing in the area. Cap rates look good, but how are the tenants? Thanks in advance for your comments!
lullum88

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Hi! You should check out the Martindale and Grapeview areas. I moved here a year ago and love it. I have a 5 year old child - nice parks, VERY SAFE and a walkable neighbourhood. Very close access to the QEW (main highway to get to Toronto, or the USA to do cross-border shopping). Great school district (arguably the best in the city!). It feels like you are tucked away because it border 'the country' area of St Catharines, but all amenities are quite close.
WonderTwinsDad wrote:
Hello all. We are a family from Vancouver with 2.5 year old twins, looking at relocating to Niagara Region. Thanks for those you commented. It helps the rest of us. The main reason we are moving is the housing costs are more affordable than Vancouver. Average house in the suburbs is $450-600k vs. seeing on mls a full duplex for $175k. We don't have jobs lined up, but wanted to know how the job market is. I realized there will be less jobs and probably lower wages, but a slower pace and lower housing prices may be worth it. We have been to Niagara several times and loved it (it's like a mini las vegas, hopefully I didn't offend anyone :)I meant it in a positive way). We are probably looking at renting first to see what areas we like, then buy something after. Any real estate investors out there? We would eventually look at investing in the area. Cap rates look good, but how are the tenants? Thanks in advance for your comments!
Andy Scott

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

I moved to St. Kitts 3 years ago from England and it was the best decision I made. Very laid back, cheap housing, friendly locals and close to the border, the falls, golf wineries etc.

Just don't expect much of a downtown vibe..... Although council is spending money on revitalizing it at the moment.

If your looking for nice areas to live in would suggest the North end as click send to the lake as you can get. October, Butler and Royal York are all very nice streets. Port Dalhousie is getting quite the make over with condos planned in the near future so good financial returns are also possibility, but parking may become an issue (it already is around the beach in the summer).

The other area to consider if your looking for an older home is Glenridge which is around the St. Catharines Golf Club. Older homes, treelines streets etc.

For newer houses Pelham road in the south west of the city is good and reasonably priced. It will also be close to the new hospital so again this should see increases on property values.

Hope this helps.
new here

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Hi how about carlton street/lakestreet???
Andy Scott wrote:
I moved to St. Kitts 3 years ago from England and it was the best decision I made. Very laid back, cheap housing, friendly locals and close to the border, the falls, golf wineries etc.
Just don't expect much of a downtown vibe..... Although council is spending money on revitalizing it at the moment.
If your looking for nice areas to live in would suggest the North end as click send to the lake as you can get. October, Butler and Royal York are all very nice streets. Port Dalhousie is getting quite the make over with condos planned in the near future so good financial returns are also possibility, but parking may become an issue (it already is around the beach in the summer).
The other area to consider if your looking for an older home is Glenridge which is around the St. Catharines Golf Club. Older homes, treelines streets etc.
For newer houses Pelham road in the south west of the city is good and reasonably priced. It will also be close to the new hospital so again this should see increases on property values.
Hope this helps.
twins to BU

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

I am looking to purchase a home and move to St. Catherines with my twins and have been looking all over BUT have not found anything to buy yet - we are close though. I too would like to have a run down on some neighbourhoods - it is hard not coming from a place and having to make such a huge financial committment - get it wrong and you could lose big!! I was looking at a house located on 3 GREENMEADOW CT and one on 4 BATTERSEA AV - both north of the Universidy but one more central and the other a bit east. Battersea was an appeal house BUT just off of a busy street - and I didn't know about the nieghbourhood/area surrounding it at all? Could anyone help me out here? Also the Greenmeadow house was nice too but again - just down from a busy street...what is this neighbourhood/surrounding area like? I have young girls to be concerned about so I need a save decent neighbourhood where they can walk, run and live. thanks - we are truly grateful for any input - my agent lives in Niagara Falls so I feel a bit disadvantaged....really :)
Darya

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Hello,

We are a family who is planning to move to St. Catharines next month. Since we have two kids (age 8 and 5) our priority is to find a good school. We were checking the French immersion schools as our kids attended such a school since JK. I have noticed that only Briardale Publick School and Sheridan Park Public School offer French immersion since grade 1 but I could not find them on the ranking list.
I would really appreciate some advice on these or any other French immersion schools in the region. Thanks a lot!!!
Anonymous

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

st.catharines is the heart of the densely populated regions in the entire country. Most communities feel like a retirement village. most of the residents are 60 yrs and over. Many of them are retired GM employees. There's also a huge service sector making little more than minimum wages. It seems the only ones spending any real money in the area are these retired people. A lot of young people can't find work and often move out of here. I would really consider these factors before moving here. If you do move here, I hope you have employment that makes more than min. wage.
Shirley

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

I am retiring next year. I currently live in Sask and I truly dislike the very cold winters. I lived in southern Ontario (Waterloo) for university purposes. As this was a number of years ago, I want to correspond with others living in St. Catherine"s as it appeals to me for retirement. I would especially be interested in hearing from people near retirment or already retired. I want to find out about social, hobby and volunteer activities, housing areas, city services, etc. Would appreciate all responses.
Rebecca

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

St Catharines is extremely safe and you don't have to worry so much about your safety, your kids safety even a smidgeon compared to Toronto for example. Let's say if you care about the well being of your family, St Catharines is the smart choice. Anybody who chooses to live in Toronto who is raising a family is plain ol' stupid.
Katia

Santiago, Chile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Hi, I´m planning study at Brook University, I´m looking for a place with great social environment and nice people to share my time there. Could you tell me if St Catharines have that conditions??. For the record I´m a 32 years old woman single.
Peter Pottinger

Saint Catharines, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Judged:

Hi all, I noticed this thread is several years old but still active?

St. Catharines has come a long way since this thread started in 2009. There is a new hockey arena going in downtown that will be the home of our new ohl icedogs team. The downtown itself is completely revitalized going from a 60% occupancy rate to a near 95% with lots of new and modern shops and cafes.

St. Paul St has been converted to 2 way traffic and has been integrated into the wine route, which I know for a fact brings millions of tourists every year to this area.

Brock university is in conjunction with the provincial and the feds financing a $40 million arts centre to compliment the new downtown and the stadium.

Keep in mind how low the cost of living is in this area. a $50,000 paycheque easily compares to a $75,000 pay in Toronto, and being so close to the border increases your purchasing power even further. Go across the border and you are saving anywhere from 20-40% on big ticket items.

In closing, our little town is not what it used to be, give it a chance.
Xue

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2014

Hi all,
I am moving to St. Catharines this coming summer. I am recently looking to rent a place. I would prefer low rise apartments or townhomes. Can anyone suggest a quiet and safe neighborhood? Being close to the lake would be great as long as it is not much colder in the winter than other places. Also, do they usually have dish washer in a rented apartment?
I also wonder how much would I pay for heating for a 900 sq ft place each month, especially winter months. Paying for electrical heating almost bankrupted me this winter. Thank you all for any help!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent St Catharines Discussions

Search the St Catharines Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Marry Me?': 120 people help Ontario man propos... Jul 11 abra cadabra 1
Alleged mobsters busted during the Niagara swee... Jun 27 Tim Hudak is no Harper 1
Variety of strange UFOs open May 2014 Ontario r... May '14 Antarctica UFOs 1
Heavy ice causes delay in season opening of the... Mar '14 lol 1
Pan Am Games CEO Ian Troop fired (Jan '14) Jan '14 coal 1
Ontario hit with blast of snow, freezing rain (Jan '14) Jan '14 how is roads budget 1
How 'A Christmas Story' became a cult film classic (Dec '13) Dec '13 accidents cost lotof cash 1
•••
•••