Areas to live in Regina?

Areas to live in Regina?

Posted in the Regina Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CdnTraveler2

Halifax, Canada

#1 Sep 29, 2008
Could anyone give me an idea of areas to avoid in Regina?
We are thinking of moving and I wanted to look for more upscale apts or condo's to rent in a good area.
thanks in advance
CDNTraveler2

“Who Can He Be Now?”

Since: Oct 08

Regina, Canada

#4 Oct 17, 2008
CdnTraveler2 wrote:
Could anyone give me an idea of areas to avoid in Regina?
We are thinking of moving and I wanted to look for more upscale apts or condo's to rent in a good area.
thanks in advance
CDNTraveler2
Don't buy a house in the North end of Regina Saskatchewan.

The Oil Refinery spews out TOXIC GAS FUMES that stink up the north end of the city.

These toxic fumes will burn your eyes and lips.

It always seems to happen on warm summer evenings and in the middle of the night.

The East end of the city is the best place to live. It has everything.
CJW

Cachan, France

#5 Oct 22, 2008
Rental properties in Regina are in very high demand right now so finding a nice apartment or condo will be difficult. You may be able to afford to rent a house, but they are also hard to find. There are new or remodeled upscale apartments/condos downtown and in the Cathedral area and the south end has some as well. The downtown area doesn't have a grocery store, so you'll need a car. For areas that are nice and safe to live in, I'd recommend any neighbourhood in the south end...although, the airport is in that end and can be nosiy. Douglas Park is a lovely area that is close to Wascana Park and is also close to downtown. The Cathedral area has a great neighbourhood, but break-ins there are higher. The southeast end is okay, but you'll have to fight a bit of traffic in rush hour...it probably will be nothing compared to Halifax. I'd avoid living in the North end. Good luck.
BONNYOSHEA

Moose Jaw, Canada

#7 Oct 29, 2008
les wrote:
stay away from Regina. your house will get broken into and your children will be attacked and raped by the local natives.
les,why dont you move away,then we can say no les ,no more..........hehehehheee
lola

Regina, Canada

#8 Jan 8, 2009
Downtown DOES have a grocery store. Safeway on 13th avenue. And Cathedral or by cathedral area is a wonderful place to live, I lived in it for 10 years and would not live anywhere else in Regina. It has everything, including community spirit.
sandy

Regina, Canada

#9 Feb 20, 2009
Whitmore Park, Lakeview, Lakeridge, Old Lakeview, Rochdale, Uplands are all good areas as well as many more.
robert daiagnalt

La Ronge, Canada

#12 Mar 10, 2009
that was you deark who gave me aids stay away from regina
theanswer

Winnipeg, Canada

#14 Mar 22, 2009
I would say, try not to move to regina. I have been travelling western cities for years with my work, and in my opinion, regina is by far the worst of them all.
The only capital city in canada without a major waterway running through it, the reginians dress up a dirty slough and call it a lake.
The city smells bad, literally, it has a horrible smell from, i am guessing the oil refinery.
The major attraction is a casina......enough said about that.
It is notoriously dirty, unsafe, and just an ugly city in general.

I won't even get started on the people, because I really try not to promote stereotypes.....i'm sure alot of them are really cool.

But they do have the roughriders.
iamrite

Regina, Canada

#16 May 30, 2009
I have just moved to Regina and it is very safe - you must take the same precautions that u would take anywhere in Canada. The people of Regina are down to earth and very friendly & helpful.

South Regina is an excellent area.

The crime in Regina is mostly small time driven by drugs, poverty and desparation - and that could apply to anybody and anywhere - Good Luck!
eugene

Calgary, Canada

#17 Jul 4, 2009
Hello,

I am currently living in Calgary and will be moving to Regina in 2 weeks. Can someone please tell me if it is easy to find jobs in Regina? If so, where can I find jobs? Also who can help me find apartments before I move in? Thank you
colleen

Regina, Canada

#18 Jul 5, 2009
eugene wrote:
Hello,
I am currently living in Calgary and will be moving to Regina in 2 weeks. Can someone please tell me if it is easy to find jobs in Regina? If so, where can I find jobs? Also who can help me find apartments before I move in? Thank you
You have no job, no place to live, you don't know anybody or anything in this god forbidden s$hithole and you are coming in two weeks? WHY?
colleen

Regina, Canada

#19 Jul 5, 2009
What type of work do you do? What apartment can you afford?
eugene

Calgary, Canada

#20 Jul 5, 2009
Hello Colleen,
thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Currently, I don't know anybody in Regina and I will need help finding a place to live. I am working on finding a motel/hotel/apartment to stay. I have a bachelor of science degree in manufacturing engineering technology. Currently, the job market is very difficult in Calgary. Almost nobody is hiring. I want to move to Regina because I will have more opportunities in working in my field of study. I also understand that there are plenty of consulting engineering companies and manufacturing companies. Any advice you might have for me will be very helpful. I appreciate your time. I look forward to hearing from you again. Thank you
eugene

Calgary, Canada

#21 Jul 5, 2009
Colleen,

I don't know the price range for apartments in Regina, but I am assuming it's a bit better than calgary. If I can find a 1 bedroom for $300-400 or a 2 bedrooms around $600, I am ready to take an offer. Thank you
colleen

Regina, Canada

#22 Jul 5, 2009
eugene wrote:
Hello Colleen,
thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Currently, I don't know anybody in Regina and I will need help finding a place to live. I am working on finding a motel/hotel/apartment to stay. I have a bachelor of science degree in manufacturing engineering technology. Currently, the job market is very difficult in Calgary. Almost nobody is hiring. I want to move to Regina because I will have more opportunities in working in my field of study. I also understand that there are plenty of consulting engineering companies and manufacturing companies. Any advice you might have for me will be very helpful. I appreciate your time. I look forward to hearing from you again. Thank you
Sorry to hear things are not going well in Calgary. I am a fellow Albertian myself. Born and bred. Very unfortunate. Did you just graduate? Do you have any work experience in this area? Engineering is pretty broad, have you honed your speciality down to a specific area of practice?
There may be some hope here if you can be more specific as to your exact work experience.

There is alot of home engineering firms here with respect to our sinking and cracking foundations in our homes. Our soil is made of clay and all the basements need to be braced constantly. That is big business here. There are of course other opportunties.
colleen

Regina, Canada

#23 Jul 5, 2009
eugene wrote:
Colleen,
I don't know the price range for apartments in Regina, but I am assuming it's a bit better than calgary. If I can find a 1 bedroom for $300-400 or a 2 bedrooms around $600, I am ready to take an offer. Thank you
Eugene, you better pack a tent. There is nowhere in the world you can get lodging for $300-$400.00 per month. I own my house so I am not in the know as to the exact figure - I will check the newspaper for you and post back, but there is a really tight market for housing right now so the prices are not CHEAP and they are appearantly hard to find. Although, I would not take that too serious, there is always places to find. I will check quickly and post back.
colleen

Regina, Canada

#24 Jul 5, 2009
Just checked the mail box and my paper didn't come. I will look online.
colleen

Regina, Canada

#25 Jul 5, 2009
Ok. I checked. Go to the Regina Leader Post (newspaper) classified ads and you will be off to the races. Surprisingly, there are some cheap accomodations but I can imagine the condition of them. You will be shocked when you get here and look at these places - you have never seen anything like it. The ones that are cheap are in the bad area (North Central). Check McLeans magazine for the low down on this neighborhood. Bring your gun!
eugene

Calgary, Canada

#26 Jul 6, 2009
Hello Colleen,

I appreciate everything you are doing for me. I graduated with bachelor of science degree in manufacturing engineering technology from the University of West Florida (United States) with a 3.2 G.P.A. on 4.0 scale. I have more than three years of experience in manufacturing where I held the technician, supervisor and quality control positions at Delphi Thermal and Interiors, U.S.A.(an automobile parts supplier). I moved in Calgary in December 2007 and worked as a machine operator for Smart Technologies (this company manufactures and tests whiteboards). I tested whiteboards in a testing laboratory with mechanical engineers and recorded the results. I am moving to Regina because I researched the city and there are some manufacturing companies that I can apply my experience and skills to.
I am currently in need of a place to stay, but I am afraid I might be asked to prove that I am employed before I rent an apartment. So I have been trying to find a job before moving to Regina, but I don't know if it can happen or do I need to move before I can get a chance to find a job. I am currently working on that and I hope you can help me in that direction. I understand you are extremely busy, but I appreciate your time. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Eugene
colleen

Regina, Canada

#27 Jul 6, 2009
eugene wrote:
Hello Colleen,
I appreciate everything you are doing for me. I graduated with bachelor of science degree in manufacturing engineering technology from the University of West Florida (United States) with a 3.2 G.P.A. on 4.0 scale. I have more than three years of experience in manufacturing where I held the technician, supervisor and quality control positions at Delphi Thermal and Interiors, U.S.A.(an automobile parts supplier). I moved in Calgary in December 2007 and worked as a machine operator for Smart Technologies (this company manufactures and tests whiteboards). I tested whiteboards in a testing laboratory with mechanical engineers and recorded the results. I am moving to Regina because I researched the city and there are some manufacturing companies that I can apply my experience and skills to.
I am currently in need of a place to stay, but I am afraid I might be asked to prove that I am employed before I rent an apartment. So I have been trying to find a job before moving to Regina, but I don't know if it can happen or do I need to move before I can get a chance to find a job. I am currently working on that and I hope you can help me in that direction. I understand you are extremely busy, but I appreciate your time. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Eugene
What you need to do is compile a list of all of the engineering firms, and other industries that interest you, that are listing under canada411. If you do not have a phone plan-get one. You need to call all of them (they are friendly here) and make inquiries. They will let you know if they have anything for you or they will lead you in a direction that is helpful.

I assume your resume is in order and you can email it to those employers who request same. You have no time to waste.

They will be suspious of the fact that your education is in Florida and I assume you are an American. We automatically assume that if there is an American is in our midst up here the are running for something (unless they are on vacation). You will need to explain this. Why you came to Canada, why you are here, what connections you have in Canada, why, why why! It will be a tough case to make. If they sniff anything not right, you won't get a job, plus they would soon hire a Canadian resident over a foreigner unless you are an expert in your area and come with exceptional credentials.

As far as an apartment is concerned, they will do a credit check if you are not employed. Your acceptance will be dependant upon the results of same. You can offer cash in advance for rent as an incentive ie: 3 or 6 months rent?

I wouldn't worry too much, alot scum balls get apartments - so they get away with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Regina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bail granted to farmer accused of murdering of ... 19 hr Farm Subsidy John 3
dogging (Jan '13) 19 hr Ralph Harris Boom... 5
News Teaching Canada about the Ukrainian genocide 19 hr Wierd Al Yanakovitch 1
News Start the bidding at $4.1B, Premier Brad Wall i... 19 hr FILMON Privateere... 2
News A&W holds its 8th annual 'Burgers to Beat MS' p... 19 hr Kevin is Leery Al... 1
Indian magic 19 hr Old Indian Rope T... 2
News Breakfast Buzz: How safe would you rank Saskatoon? Aug 25 WHITE TRASH BIN 3
More from around the web