Only in Alberta Could Hate Speech Ag...

Only in Alberta Could Hate Speech Against the LGBT Community Constitute A Victory

There are 16 comments on the www.womanist-musings.com story from Dec 7, 2009, titled Only in Alberta Could Hate Speech Against the LGBT Community Constitute A Victory. In it, www.womanist-musings.com reports that:

There is a difference between free speech and hate speech. The later not only reduces a marginalized group to an other, it normalizes their position.Once it becomes acceptable to show discrimination towards a group of people, history has shown dire consequences are the result. The LGBT community constitutes a minority and a marginalized group due to rampant heterosexism. This has lead to job discrimination, housing discrimination, violence and in some cases death. Allowing hate speech against the GLBT community will undoubtedly promote this sort of behaviour.

Stephen Boissoin wrote a letter in 2002 entitled, Homosexual Agenda Wicked, which was subsequently published by the Red Deer Advocate. He compares gays and lesbians to pedophiles, while speaking of a gay and lesbian identity as diseased. These are clearly hate trigger words and yet a judge ruled that such commentary was hateful but not extreme.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.womanist-musings.com.

“Freedom and Liberty”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#1 Dec 7, 2009
"The LGBT community constitutes a minority and a marginalized group due to rampant heterosexism."

ALAN: Gay people are marginalized because of the teachings of Christianity.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#2 Dec 7, 2009
There is hate speech and there is free speech. If we wish our own right of free speech, we must respect the right of others to theirs. There is, indeed, a thin line between the two types of speech, but I don't think this man crossed it. As a gay man I despise what he said, but I do not think he should be fined or go to jail for it. I will not fall into the trap that the religionists set, or the practices they follow in dealing with others who harm no one by their actions.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#3 Dec 7, 2009
I neglected to put this in my previousw post.
From the article:
"There should be no place for this kind of thought within Canadian borders."
The regulation of "thought"? The "thought police"?
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#4 Dec 7, 2009
RalphB wrote:
I neglected to put this in my previousw post.
From the article:
"There should be no place for this kind of thought within Canadian borders."
The regulation of "thought"? The "thought police"?
It boils down to bigotry between groups. There is no rational reason for anyone to believe such nonsense about any group or demographic in an age of reason, education and scientific observation. The education system has failed; the religious system has failed; we as a just society have failed. So long as any group can be slandered with untruths, we all suffer. We are ALL less than.

I should not be allowed to say that you, Ralph, are anything less than who and what you are, nor should you be able to say anything less of me than who and what I am. Anything other than the truth is slander. We are raised better than that. Too many are using the notion of "free speech" as a shield against their own behaviors.

A little more "us", a little less "them".
Short Left Index Finger

Georgetown, Canada

#5 Dec 7, 2009
Alberta is getting to sound more and more like a blue-cillar wild-west mining town.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#6 Dec 7, 2009
Reverend Alan wrote:
"The LGBT community constitutes a minority and a marginalized group due to rampant heterosexism."
ALAN: Gay people are marginalized because of the teachings of Christianity.
History has shown us the Christians and their crusades have been nothing short of evil and this one is no different.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#7 Dec 7, 2009
Leftatalbuquerque wrote:
<quoted text>
It boils down to bigotry between groups. There is no rational reason for anyone to believe such nonsense about any group or demographic in an age of reason, education and scientific observation. The education system has failed; the religious system has failed; we as a just society have failed. So long as any group can be slandered with untruths, we all suffer. We are ALL less than.
I should not be allowed to say that you, Ralph, are anything less than who and what you are, nor should you be able to say anything less of me than who and what I am. Anything other than the truth is slander. We are raised better than that. Too many are using the notion of "free speech" as a shield against their own behaviors.
A little more "us", a little less "them".
That is all very laudable, and in principle I would agree. However, attempting to police speech and thought is useless and counter-productive. Anytime you outlaw and prosecute a specific type of thought and speech, you drive it underground. The KKK in America was treated thusly, and all it did was make the people involved more hate-filled. You CANNOT police thought, and where there is thought, there is speech. Let them rant and rave, but educated, thoughtful people will see it for what it is. Fred Phelps comes to mind. The more he rants and raves, the better he proves our point.

Since: Jan 07

Phoenix AZ

#8 Dec 7, 2009
"and yet a judge ruled that such commentary was hateful but not extreme."

And what does it take to make it extreme? It sounded extreme to me. But then, who am I but one of the hated persons?

“Finding the unbiased truth”

Since: Nov 09

Realism, the realistic answer.

#9 Dec 7, 2009
I always get so frustrated when I read Womanist Musing's blogstuffs. I have no idea why a blog shows up in a news forum, first off. Secondly, even as far as blogs go, the bias in this blog is astounding.

The terrible thing is, I don't completely disagree with what the blog says usually; it's just presented as very confrontational!

This letter should not be a cause for arrest because it was a private letter for crying out loud.

If it was Fred Phelps picketing at a gay Canadian soldier's funeral in Alberta, I'd understand the hate speech thing, but this was a private fucking letter.

I'd be scared shitless if everything I said was legally analyzed.

If one were to read a less biased source, like a news article, it showed that the letter was not created with the intention to incite violent, hateful acts, nor was it created with specific persons mentioned.

It was an bigoted fool preaching up the wrong tree, apparently.

I'm glad the world got to know about the letter and it's horridness, and I'm also glad the man was not convicted for a hate crime. I feel like it would be an excuse to say "Yeah, gays have protection, we can stop their civil rights movement now."

“Freedom and Liberty”

Northern California

#10 Dec 7, 2009
McMike wrote:
<quoted text>
History has shown us the Christians and their crusades have been nothing short of evil and this one is no different.
ALAN: Christians are evil because their God is an evil monster. Read what the Bible tells us about the Bible God of the Christians:

http://wheresjesus.multiply.com/tag/gods-beha... -

GOD: "...I create evil..." (Isa. 45:7).

“Child of the Universe”

Since: Aug 09

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

#11 Dec 7, 2009
If it helps those Americans who think Canadians live in igloos in July...:

Alberta is our version of Alabama/Mississippi/Oklahoma. Very right wing. Astoundingly, British Columbia to the west is Liberal (centrist) and Saskatchewan is historically NDP (New Democratic Party - unionist and left-wing labour/farmer). The difference is palpable as you cross provincial borders - the demographics literally change!

Alberta has oil sands, and until recently had no debt. Also home of most of the power behind the current federal Conservative Party (formerly the Progressive Conservative Party) who were alagamated with the right wing off-shoot Reform Party within the last decade or so.)

Canada is a federation of regions - each unique and, as Quebecers put it, distinct.

BUT - how a judge in one part of the country can rule differently than one would in another is the question of the hour - no Ontario judge would have come to this recent decision, I'm sure.

Grove City, PA

#12 Dec 7, 2009
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
ALAN: Christians are evil because their God is an evil monster. Read what the Bible tells us about the Bible God of the Christians:
http://wheresjesus.multiply.com/tag/gods-beha... -
Isaiah 45
7 I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the LORD, do all these things.

8 "You heavens above, rain down righteousness;
let the clouds shower it down.
Let the earth open wide,
let salvation spring up,
let righteousness grow with it;
I, the LORD, have created it.

9 "Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker,
to him who is but a potsherd among the potsherds on the ground.
Does the clay say to the potter,
'What are you making?'
Does your work say,
'He has no hands'?

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#13 Dec 7, 2009
live and let live
Lol

Wellington, New Zealand

#14 Dec 7, 2009
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
ALAN: Christians are evil
I just went and read eight different versions of that Scripture, doesn't come close to your paraphrase.

Anyho - what Christians (and I am one) need to be careful of with letters like that is that this woman is actually bearing a false witness against an entire group of people. If even one activist has legitimate concern for the good of society then her testament is in error and a great commandment has been broken. Not only that but I'm sure she's aware of where people who knowingly proclaim false truths go... the lake of fire.

OooOOOOOoooooOOOOh scary, better to watch what you say and attend to the plank in your own eye at all times.

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#15 Dec 7, 2009
"who are all determined to gain complete equality in our nation and even worse, our world."

and this is bad why??

“Putan end to religious thought”

Since: Jun 07

The Freak Kingdom

#16 Dec 8, 2009
Ye Olde Fart wrote:
"and yet a judge ruled that such commentary was hateful but not extreme."
And what does it take to make it extreme? It sounded extreme to me. But then, who am I but one of the hated persons?
I think there are 2 factors that would bring hateful comments over the line.

1) Direct incitement or advocation of violence
2) Blatant slander or libel. If statements are provably false, they fall under slander, which is not protected.

In the US, courts and authorities tend to ignore the slanderous part. I think Canadians try to quell this kind of hate-speech more aggressively than we do. They would never allow, at least I don't think they would, someone like Phelps, for a more extreme example, to gain any power or a following.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Red Deer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hookup? (Aug '14) Jul 20 Briipie 2
News Red Deer accommodating growing Filipino community Jun '15 Phillip Eans 1
Abandoned places around red deer? May '15 cam 2
adult nursing relationship Apr '15 Legarch 2
News Woody's RV Raffle Helps Fight Breast Cancer Feb '15 ecigs 1
Complaints about Subaru (Jan '15) Jan '15 ivan0407 1
News Anti-gay group fails to disrupt funeral (Aug '08) Jan '15 chugalug 42
More from around the web